Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default +2 above base level lockout this season

Heads up for those who haven't read the updated https://www.ddo.com/news/ddo-hardcore-league

There is a level lockout to prevent characters from running quests too far over level. (Base level +2, or effective level on elite.)
    Looks like it was reduced from base + 4 in prior seasons; so don't take levels too fast and lock yourself out of favor.

Community Manager

Correct! We are lowering the level lockout from +4 to +2, meaning you need to run Elite at-level or below.
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter YouTube
    Join us on Twitch!
    Hello from Standing Stone Games! Facebook Twitter
    For Support: https://help.standingstonegames.com

Community Member

But ....but ..... running elite at level or below we could *die* <whimper>

<insert sound of screeching breaks>

That changes things.

I have mixed feelings on the change to level range.

On the one hand, it does make hardcore harder. On the other, it further limits who you can play with in a social game.
    Last edited by Kayze; 07-27-2022 at 12:40 PM.

This, along with the hounds, is brutal, lol.
    I wonder if anyone will survive to achieve 5k favor?

Fun, but we'll see how long that lasts...
    In all posts: Assume I'm just providing a personal opinion rather than trying to speak for everyone.
    *All posts should be taken as humorously intended and if you are struggling to decide if I insulted you; I didn't.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by C-Dog View Post
    <insert sound of screeching breaks>

That changes things.
    That changes everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    Correct! We are lowering the level lockout from +4 to +2, meaning you need to run Elite at-level or below.
    Most games have level scaling to allow players of different power levels to group, so as to not make their game a frustrating experience.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralDiomedes View Post
    Most games have level scaling to allow players of different power levels to group, so as to not make their game a frustrating experience.
    Nothing stopping some level 6's, 7's or 8's from joining that level 9 on their elite PIT Run. Hell nothing really stopping level 3's from running with them if the leader wants to accept them. You don't start losing XP until you are 4 or more levels below the highest level player.

The dynamic for grouping is the same what is different is everyone will be running quests a couple levels earlier than they might have before.
    “Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing. He is not a good man who, without a protest, allows wrong to be committed in his name, and with the means which he helps to supply, because he will not trouble himself to use his mind on the subject.”

Community Manager

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralDiomedes View Post
    This is a change for the Hardcore server only. In general this experience is about exceptional challenges.
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter YouTube
    Join us on Twitch!
    Hello from Standing Stone Games! Facebook Twitter
    For Support: https://help.standingstonegames.com

Yeah, my scope has been reduced this time round by a large factor. Was hoping to get something more than the lvl 20 cloak but from the sheer amount of deaths I've seen tonight to hounds, coupled with the severely limited quest restrictions I'll be very lucky to even get that.

I'm still seeing whales gold rolling themselves up with Astral Shards in Korthos though so maybe that ought to be nixed as well in HCL7?

Community Member

Obviously an advantage of HCL to SSG is all the overly optimistic people that spend a lot for xp tomes and other good things to make it easier and then die and have to do it again. The harder it is the better for SSG - within reason. If we all give up and leave - no revenue.

I am not spending a penny (sorry Cord) until I get to a higher level and figure I have more control over dying to something totally unexpected. Not to mention spending today with the last major July sale tomorrow seems - suboptimal. Not that I expect much but I can hope.

I have to admit - any rewards earned this season are going to mean something. I don't think I'll get there, but there's 3 months to try.
    I'm already throwing out builds I'd prepared for this season to take augment summoning to let pets take the beasts at early levels, and looking into possible favored enemy feats that would work with magical beast. Every group I've been in has been huddled together or waiting for the others to stack before progressing. It feels like a whole new game.

First impressions for me are that this is awesome- everyone is paranoid and racing to compare notes in guild chats and the advice channel. We've got three months to figure things out. Really skilled players are going to get there regardles, but for the rest of us....we'll need to band together to get anywhere close.

Lapsed player from 2009-2011 that returns for Hardcore Leagues.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiliconScout View Post
    Nothing stopping some level 6's, 7's or 8's from joining that level 9 on their elite PIT Run. Hell nothing really stopping level 3's from running with them if the leader wants to accept them. You don't start losing XP until you are 4 or more levels below the highest level player.

The dynamic for grouping is the same what is different is everyone will be running quests a couple levels earlier than they might have before.
    Agree. I agree with the HCL change. And XP penalty does not matter really if you are running favor to 5K. This change should not be an argument of socially prohibitive at all. Just change your level range from 4-8 on a level 6 elite quest instead of 6-10. The only argument is the increase in difficulty, which I am sure most HCL players welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    This is a change for the Hardcore server only. In general this experience is about exceptional challenges.
    This would have been nice to know since the hardcore news page, And your own faq that is stickied at the top of this forum still states=
    There is a level lockout to prevent characters from running quests too far over level. (Base level +4, or effective level on elite +2).
    Seems to me if you are making that kind of change then it might be a good idea to alert the playerbase.
    Last edited by balvix; 07-27-2022 at 10:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Qadashael View Post
    I have to admit - any rewards earned this season are going to mean something. I don't think I'll get there, but there's 3 months to try.
    I'm already throwing out builds I'd prepared for this season to take augment summoning to let pets take the beasts at early levels, and looking into possible favored enemy feats that would work with magical beast. Every group I've been in has been huddled together or waiting for the others to stack before progressing. It feels like a whole new game.

First impressions for me are that this is awesome- everyone is paranoid and racing to compare notes in guild chats and the advice channel. We've got three months to figure things out. Really skilled players are going to get there regardles, but for the rest of us....we'll need to band together to get anywhere close.
    Not really, they will most likely find a way to remove the meaning behind the rewards earned this season, just as with the bloody footprints from season 1.

Exit, pursued by a bear. ~ William Shakespeare (stage direction from The Winter's Tale)

Quote Originally Posted by jskinner937 View Post
    Agree. I agree with the HCL change. And XP penalty does not matter really if you are running favor to 5K.
    Unless your just trying to hit Level 20 maybe? -2 level is a drastic change both in level and enhancements benefits not to mention gear (both drop rates and ability to equip). I see far fewer people being able to complete the rewards for this season as an outcome. And with that, the viable builds decrease as well! Consider this: Your chance to die from Fortification/Miss chance/Saves/DPS check is considerably higher this season. You can defend against some things but very few builds can say one bad roll wouldn't kill them at level to one of the aforementioned causes. Last season I had a Lvl 17 die to rolling 1 on a champs disintegrate. This season the same thing would happen with a 1-4 roll.

Quote Originally Posted by jskinner937 View Post
    This change should not be an argument of socially prohibitive at all. Just change your level range from 4-8 on a level 6 elite quest instead of 6-10. The only argument is the increase in difficulty, which I am sure most HCL players welcome.
    Be Honest here... a level 4 in a Level 6 (8 on elite/reaper) would not be able to be any real asset to a team this season. Far fewer would be willing to take a character that would fail saves half the time, deal 50% the damage, and lack the skills/enhancements/gear required to function. With the introduction of the Hounds as well to stunt many solo players with a de-buff verse DPS check. Only strong solo builds (not many for first lifers) or strong parties would be able to cope with this. I have already seen this effect taking place with far fewer variety in builds currently playing (expecting there to be even fewer as time progresses).

I am willing to admit I will try and would like the rewards... But, on that same note I am also not going to invest any money this season for it. This will be my first F2P HCL season since they began. The "cost to benefit" is far less this season with much lower probability of success. Last season I spent a few hundred on the game. I saw a real value and reward (footprints I missed first season) worth it in my eyes. I enjoy the party aspect and worry as levels increase there will be far fewer players attempting the same as me at each level threshold. All these aspects make the game far more prohibitive to who can and will survive to party together. This doesn't mean we won't try. Just that we as a game populace are aware the cards are stacked against us. And understand that fewer will receive the rewards than previous seasons have.

I would have preferred an additional "better" reward (something better than just another cosmetic effect) for attempting at only +2, than restricting those levels for all. TBH I am not excited about this seasons rewards. Well that's my 2 cents anyway, see you in HCL season 6!
    And shepards we shall be, for thee my lord for thee.
    Power hath decended forth from thy hand so our feet may swiftly carry out thy command.
    And we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it be....
    In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti.
    Just call me Big Ben

Does anyone know what the lockout level range is for challenges this season?
    DC Warlock Reaper Build (U48)
    Max DC Illusionist Reaper Build (U48)

Systems Designer

Quote Originally Posted by slarden View Post
    Does anyone know what the lockout level range is for challenges this season?
    Challenges are now judged based on your chosen quest level and not the base level. So a level 15 can enter a challenge set to levels 13+. Level 12 would be too low.
    100% radical, enthusiasm enthusiast.

"Have you tried preproccing feat directory?"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast