Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Quest rewards based on class.....Yeah, right

So I always have this option checked in Option/Gameplay settings but I seem to get handwraps in almost every single reward list (29 of the last 30) and I don't even have Monk class unlocked.

Please either fix this option or just remove it.
    Dennis the Peasant: Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddha5440 View Post
    So I always have this option checked in Option/Gameplay settings but I seem to get handwraps in almost every single reward list (29 of the last 30) and I don't even have Monk class unlocked.

Please either fix this option or just remove it.
    What race and class are you? (Also what level?)
    We don't only build for the builds that exist.
    We don't only build for the builds that are good right now.

The fact that some changes are necessary is not diminished by the fact that other necessary changes have not happened yet.

Community Member

While not the OP, I'm a 1st life dwarf barbarian, and on my trip from 1 to 20, I've seen a large selection of handwraps ... and strangely very few gloves, as in I'll FINALLY be replacing my gloves at 21 with the ghostly pair from the Keep on the Borderlands.... from Level 1 Korthos Protector's Gloves for the DR 1/-. There have been more than a couple pairs of named gloves I had hoped for (Ravenloft, Sharn,etc), but they didn't happen to materialize along my path. About 80% off my generic lootgen offerings have been light/medium armor, or axes/hammers, but there's been a set of handwraps or two in the pool, what feels like, more often than not.

Other than the oddity of handwraps, which just might be a token, "Not Class/Race" list, as I've also the occasionally seen things like quarterstaves/maces, and the lack of gloves, things have had the appearance of being Race/Class specific. I can't say that I've gotten zero gloves, but I can say that I never replaced the pair I'm wearing, and tried to keep a look out for new ones, even when I was trying to keep up with my party and grabbing things quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Roonfizzle View Post
    While not the OP, I'm a 1st life dwarf barbarian, and on my trip from 1 to 20, I've seen a large selection of handwraps ... and strangely very few gloves, as in I'll FINALLY be replacing my gloves at 21 with the ghostly pair from the Keep on the Borderlands.... from Level 1 Korthos Protector's Gloves for the DR 1/-. There have been more than a couple pairs of named gloves I had hoped for (Ravenloft, Sharn,etc), but they didn't happen to materialize along my path. About 80% off my generic lootgen offerings have been light/medium armor, or axes/hammers, but there's been a set of handwraps or two in the pool, what feels like, more often than not.

Other than the oddity of handwraps, which just might be a token, "Not Class/Race" list, as I've also the occasionally seen things like quarterstaves/maces, and the lack of gloves, things have had the appearance of being Race/Class specific. I can't say that I've gotten zero gloves, but I can say that I never replaced the pair I'm wearing, and tried to keep a look out for new ones, even when I was trying to keep up with my party and grabbing things quickly.
    For Barbarian, if you're seeing Handwraps there's a good chance it's pulling from the "All Melee Weapons" list in Class-Based End Reward Lists. Can take a look and see if something's up causing them to show more frequently than other things at some point.

The fact that some changes are necessary is not diminished by the fact that other necessary changes have not happened yet.

Community Member Captain_Wizbang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steelstar View Post
    For Barbarian, if you're seeing Handwraps there's a good chance it's pulling from the "All Melee Weapons" list in Class-Based End Reward Lists. Can take a look and see if something's up causing them to show more frequently than other things at some point.

While you're in there, why don't you give things a little tweak? Maybe an adjustment to the % of class rolls. Just sayin

Quote Originally Posted by Retired_Old_Gamer View Post
    Maybe an adjustment to the % of class rolls.
    Meaning what, exactly?

Meaning what, exactly?
    Is it possible to get an explanation on how this function works? Is it looking at just the general type (simple, martial, exotic, throwing) or can it drill down even further (bastard swords, clubs, handwraps)? This would help in making recommendations for improvement.
    Member: Circle of Night (Cristyle Sunn, Grygor Sunn, WarChild Sunn)
    Magic is a curious thing; full of hope and promise one minute, then someone summons a t-rex jet fighter to kill you.

Meaning what, exactly?
    I was thinking about having a selector for eg;, Melee - choose offense/ defense (armor or weapons eg)
    Not removing the other tables, but giving preference to players choices.

Every class could have an option for customizing the loot table it is rewarded from.

Kind of like a drop-down menu on the current UI.

Not sure if it' possible, or cost effective atm. but it would sure be a crowd pleaser.
    Last edited by Retired_Old_Gamer; 09-10-2020 at 01:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Logicman69 View Post
    Is it possible to get an explanation on how this function works? Is it looking at just the general type (simple, martial, exotic, throwing) or can it drill down even further (bastard swords, clubs, handwraps)? This would help in making recommendations for improvement.
    I 2nd the request for more information on this subject. It seems like, as of current, there are broad buckets determined by your primary class ("all melee weapons" bucket is a reason why barbs are getting handwraps, for instance). Is there any way to narrow those buckets down a bit? Is it possible to check proficiencies instead (or in addition to)? Because ATM wizards aren't given many random gen medium armors, which most wizards wear, for instance.

You know people, this is actually one of the QoL's that an addition for the expansion would be a PERFECT fit to Lynn's amazing work on random loot and such.

A new multi-selector to replace the on/off toggle.

Seriously. this type of change can't be that expensive to ignore.

What say you SSG? (I'll settle for a maybe )

Quote Originally Posted by Logicman69 View Post
    Sure!

When you have the End Rewards Based On Class box checked, and turn in a quest that prompts an End Reward list, it checks three things.
    • What is your dominant class? (i.e. what do you have most levels in, excluding Epic?)
    • What level are you?
    • Are you a Warforged/Bladeforged? (This only really determines if you get Docents or not).

Based on those three questions, it selects one out of (checks files) 720ish treasure tables, which in turn calls on other tables to try and generate items generally useful to your race and class at the right level.

For instance, a level 10 Human Paladin is usually going to pull a few items from the following possibilities:
    • A ML10-ish weapon (could be any melee or ranged, you can rarely pull spellcasting stats on this but it'll usually be martial)
    • A ML10-ish non-tower shield
    • A ML10-ish heavy armor
    • A ML10-ish accessory (boots, rings, etc)

Compared to a level 10 Human Wizard, who is usually going to pull a few items from the following possibilities:
    • A ML10-ish club, dagger, or quarterstaff (you can rarely pull spellcasting stats on this but it'll usually be martial)
    • A ML10-ish simple ranged weapon (you can rarely pull spellcasting stats on this but it'll usually be martial)
    • A ML10-ish set of robes
    • A ML10-ish accessory
    • A ML10ish wand
    • A ML10ish club, dagger, or quarterstaff with specifically spellcasting stats
    • A ML10ish sceptre with specifically spellcasting stats

It is not realistically possible to adjust this system to handle your feat/enhancement choices; the system would grow exponentially, and it's already gigantic on the back end. While we could make some nudges on this system, a larger overhaul would take a significant amount of time.

From HC:

Build 10 Rog/ 6 ftr / 4 Alc - INQ spec ranged

Quest end rewards based on class: on

Loot? Medium armor, heavy armor , light armor, handwraps. 90% of the time. more then 70% of the list gives me those 4.

When I turn it off..

I see more handwraps.. but rest unchaged.
    >>Officer of the Polish Guild: GildiaDDOpl<<>>Cannith<<
    Isioviel Jr'eness - the Completionist
    Finghin Al'Roeg 5th life Sorcerer .......Seljuck 5th life 14ftr/5art/1wiz
    If you like my posts, consider adding to my reputation. Thank You.

Sure!

When you have the End Rewards Based On Class box checked, and turn in a quest that prompts an End Reward list, it checks three things.
    • What is your dominant class? (i.e. what do you have most levels in, excluding Epic?)
    • What level are you?
    • Are you a Warforged/Bladeforged? (This only really determines if you get Docents or not).

Based on those three questions, it selects one out of (checks files) 720ish treasure tables, which in turn calls on other tables to try and generate items generally useful to your race and class at the right level.

For instance, a level 10 Human Paladin is usually going to pull a few items from the following possibilities:
    • A ML10-ish weapon (could be any melee or ranged, you can rarely pull spellcasting stats on this but it'll usually be martial)
    • A ML10-ish heavy armor

Compared to a level 10 Human Wizard, who is usually going to pull a few items from the following possibilities:
    • A ML10-ish club, dagger, or quarterstaff (you can rarely pull spellcasting stats on this but it'll usually be martial)
    • A ML10-ish simple ranged weapon (you can rarely pull spellcasting stats on this but it'll usually be martial)
    • A ML10-ish accessory
    • A ML10ish wand

It is not realistically possible to adjust this system to handle your feat/enhancement choices; the system would grow exponentially, and it's already gigantic on the back end. While we could make some nudges on this system, a larger overhaul would take a significant amount of time.
    Huh, interesting. That is a lot of loot tables. If my math is right, that would be about 48 tables per class (obviously broken down further based on source level and fleshy/warforged). That honestly doesn't seem real to me (not doubting, just having trouble grasping having that many tables). If that is the number of tables you are looking at I can only imagine how much of a PitA that would be to overhaul. I am both sorry, and impressed at that same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Seljuck View Post
    From HC:

Build 10 Rog/ 6 ftr / 4 Alc - INQ spec ranged

Quest end rewards based on class: on

Loot? Medium armor, heavy armor , light armor, handwraps. 90% of the time. more then 70% of the list gives me those 4.

When I turn it off..

I see more handwraps.. but rest unchaged.
    What's your Character? level, out of curiosity? 20, or something further up in Epic?

Sure!

THANKS
    I kind of figured it's a huge undertaking, considering the age of it and such.

Thanks for the reply SS.

Community Member ShifterThePirate's Avatar

Keep in mind this Rewards Based On Class is not for every loot box

Sure!

• What level are you?

• A ML10-ish heavy armor

• A ML10-ish accessory
    • A ML10ish wand

Thanks for the info. That is kind of how I thought it would have worked. I think the problem is the possibilities are getting a little too endless with builds and gear sets. Wizards don't just use robes now, and a good amount of them swing weapons. I like the idea of having a new UI that lets the player select the loot they want to pull from. Though only then, it would be only useful for weapons, armor, and shield type. This way a EK wizard that wields longswords and wears medium armor can select "If pulling a melee weapon, only select from #type = longsword".

I realize that it would be a huge project, and I am sure you have other things that need to be worked on first. Just maybe something to take to the next "idea gathering" whiteboard session for the DEVs.

for the current system, if its looking at say "All Melee" weapons, for example.. is there a way to apply greater emphasis on certain weapon types per class? Like for all classes except Monk and Arti (because dogs use Handwraps), handwraps only will drop 1% of the time.
    Last edited by Logicman69; 09-10-2020 at 03:01 PM.
    Member: Circle of Night (Cristyle Sunn, Grygor Sunn, WarChild Sunn)
    Magic is a curious thing; full of hope and promise one minute, then someone summons a t-rex jet fighter to kill you.

Community Member

Sure!

• What level are you?

• A ML10-ish heavy armor

• A ML10-ish accessory
    • A ML10ish wand

Back when I was leveling my first toon ever, a rogue mechanic, I was really frustrated as to why I never received any GxB in the loot tables. Not a single one. I owned little content and was very reliant on rangen loot. It was mystifying to me, until I realized that it was because this option was enabled, and GxB are not considered 'rogue' weapons, or at least they weren't in 2018. I understand that not every enhancement choice can be incorporated into this feature, but please also understand that it can cause a lot of confusion and frustration for new players. It is one of the thousands of things in DDO that are not documented and that you just have to learn through experience.
    Zamsil - L30 VKF Assassin - Cannith: Hand of Death
    Zanthiss - L30 Acrobat
    Zaldraan - L30 PDK Icebreaker SwashBard
    I've got a Dungeon Master's Guide... I've got 12 sided die...

What race and class are you? (Also what level?)
    Human 11/6/3 Cleric/Ranger/Rogue. Just completed a quest and had 4 handwraps in the reward list (not the end chest, the reward list from the quest giver).
    Last edited by Buddha5440; 09-10-2020 at 03:20 PM.
    Dennis the Peasant: Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

What's your Character? level, out of curiosity? 20, or something further up in Epic?
    Shadow Thief , 25lv right now, banked 26. But I have that for almost all gameplay on HC. Ofcourse some reward are quite normal, mix of weapons / accessory.. but that's rare.
    >>Officer of the Polish Guild: GildiaDDOpl<<>>Cannith<<
    Isioviel Jr'eness - the Completionist
    Finghin Al'Roeg 5th life Sorcerer .......Seljuck 5th life 14ftr/5art/1wiz
    If you like my posts, consider adding to my reputation. Thank You.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast