Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: drop rate gripe

Community Member

Default drop rate gripe

3 of us have been running that Trial of the Archons for 3 days straight and we've pulled one named item.. I've even dumped like 80 astral shards on chest rerolls and gotten zilch. I don't recall the game being this stingy when I was farming my wrath of sora kell set. granted, we're only running it on normal due to our level, but did they tweak something in the few years I've been gone to make named items even more rare or are we just having bad luck? Otherwise, I think this is a pretty fun adventure pack.

The Hatchery
    2014 & 2016 DDO Players Council

Drop rates on normal are abysmal, that's true. Likely by design, so not sure you'll get that changed, sorry.
    DDO: If a problem cannot be solved by the application of DPS, you're not applying enough.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dandonk View Post
    Drop rates on normal are abysmal, that's true. Likely by design, so not sure you'll get that changed, sorry.
    thanks for the insight! I guess I'll run it on elite with my level 20 and see what happens

The Hatchery

Quote Originally Posted by theboyftw View Post
    thanks for the insight! I guess I'll run it on elite with my level 20 and see what happens
    As long as the items are bta (like they are in the Trials of the Archons chain), farming them with overlevel alts is a good strategy, even if it can be boring
    DDO: If a problem cannot be solved by the application of DPS, you're not applying enough.

Quote Originally Posted by theboyftw View Post
    3 of us have been running that Trial of the Archons for 3 days straight and we've pulled one named item.. I've even dumped like 80 astral shards on chest rerolls and gotten zilch. I don't recall the game being this stingy when I was farming my wrath of sora kell set. granted, we're only running it on normal due to our level, but did they tweak something in the few years I've been gone to make named items even more rare or are we just having bad luck? Otherwise, I think this is a pretty fun adventure pack.
    Shards are a trap. Each reroll advances the chest ransack one step.

If you are willing to run the quest 8 times in a week, shards do nothing for you.

If you see a message about running this quest many times, I believe you can't get a named item.

A tip: If you reopen the end chest and it says you have ran the quest many times, your next run will be on ransack. This prevents you from wasting a run, and does not use up one of your loot chances.
    Last edited by nokowi; 08-05-2016 at 11:20 AM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by nokowi View Post

If you are willing to run the quest 8 times in a week, shards do nothing for you.

If you see a message about running this quest many times, I believe you can't get a named item.

A tip: If you reopen the end chest and it says you have ran the quest many times, your next run will be on ransack. This prevents you from wasting a run, and does not use up one of your loot chances.
    thanks! been playing a long time, and it's always nice to learn something new. Wish I had those shards back lol.

No it doesn't...? Unless this was changed in the last month or so...
    -The mash on Argo
    In Soviet Russia Shroud trust in YOU!

Quote Originally Posted by Dandonk View Post
    I thought the drop rates were the same but with much lower odds for mythic bonuses. if the drop rates are also lower that would really suck to run on EN. If I could only run LN shroud I wouldn't bother and I feel really bad for the people that die constantly in LH shroud because nobody is going to run LN shroud with them. The drops for larges should have been 2 normal, 3 hard 4 elite.
    DC Warlock Reaper Build (U48)
    Max DC Illusionist Reaper Build (U48)

Trust me rerolls doesn't advance ransack. Running 8 times gives you up to 32 chests to look at different chest loot. You will see ransack on your rerolls the 8th time but you can still get named items on all those rerolls.

On Elite in Amarath you will get an item about 1 in 6 chests. Not sure about hard normal but I would say don't bother farming for loot on hard / normal and don't waste AS on rerolls. Find a group to run elite and use your rerolls there.
    Last edited by slarden; 08-05-2016 at 01:00 PM.

The Hatchery

Quote Originally Posted by slarden View Post
    I thought the drop rates were the same but with much lower odds for mythic bonuses. if the drop rates are also lower that would really suck to run on EN. If I could only run LN shroud I wouldn't bother and I feel really bad for the people that die constantly in LH shroud because nobody is going to run LN shroud with them. The drops for larges should have been 2 normal, 3 hard 4 elite.
    Hmm. Well, my experience is that drop rates in newer stuff on non-elite sucks, but... I don't actually -know- this for certain. You could be right...

Community Member

Do you have any quotes to back up the drop rate statement? My understanding is that there is a substantial difference between normal hard and elite and that applies to any quest created in the last several years. I have seen a clear difference in Two Toed Tobias for example. But I can't back any of this up with dev quotes or anything I am afraid.

Trust me rerolls doesn't advance ransack. Running 8 times gives you up to 32 chests to look at different chest loot. You will see ransack on your rerolls the 8th time but you can still get named items on all those rerolls.

On Elite in Amarath you will get an item about 1 in 6 chests. Not sure about hard normal but I would say don't bother farming for loot on hard / normal and don't waste AS on rerolls. Find a group to run elite and use your rerolls there.
    Yep U19 release notes say that shards don't count towards ransack.

I'm fairly confident that in my 200+ EE Fleshamker runs I didn't see named items after the ransack message. You can always hope for an item to be passed to you after you are on ransack.

Quote Originally Posted by bracelet View Post
    Do you have any quotes to back up the drop rate statement? My understanding is that there is a substantial difference between normal hard and elite and that applies to any quest created in the last several years. I have seen a clear difference in Two Toed Tobias for example. But I can't back any of this up with dev quotes or anything I am afraid.
    I think it varies with content. Go run "Dirks Got a Secret" on normal and I think the Muckbane drop is 1 in 6, same as elite.

Newer quests tend to have a different N/H/E drop rate for named.

Community Member

I think drop rates should be low by design, especially on normal.

Worse thing for DDO is being able to consult a loot list for new content, blitzing that content for a week or two post-release until you get the items you like, then moving on. It's the wrong loot paradigm and needs to be changed.
    Thelanis:
    Annikka (Sorc), Dannikka (F), Jannikka (Rgr)
    Tamikka (Bard), Famikka (Rgr)
    Bellynda (Cl), Mellynda (M)

Systems Designer

Just went ahead and tested this to be 100% sure - it's definitely not true. Rerolling has 0 impact on chest ransack, which is the intended interaction. If you see anything that isn't working as intended (ie a chest that ransacks before you've looted it 8 times) please send in a bug report.
    100% radical, enthusiasm enthusiast.

"Have you tried preproccing feat directory?"

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    Just went ahead and tested this to be 100% sure - it's definitely not true. Rerolling has 0 impact on chest ransack, which is the intended interaction. If you see anything that isn't working as intended (ie a chest that ransacks before you've looted it 8 times) please send in a bug report.
    Thanks. I spent 1000+ shards along with my 200+ runs in EE Fleshmaker and got no mythic item.

I can't recommend anyone spend shards from real money on rerolls, unless you just have a stash of shards you are never going to use, or can sell the items for more than you spend (Haunted Halls was like this when new).

By the time you get an item, it is usually outdated by newer content.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbinB View Post
    I think drop rates should be low by design, especially on normal.

Worse thing for DDO is being able to consult a loot list for new content, blitzing that content for a week or two post-release until you get the items you like, then moving on. It's the wrong loot paradigm and needs to be changed.
    Design that makes content irrelevant once you get a single item is poorly designed.

Dev's need to think more about replayability (I'm not saying it's easy), as the TR/ER cycles are based on having replayable material.

Quote Originally Posted by bracelet View Post
    Do you have any quotes to back up the drop rate statement? My understandinis that there is a substantial difference between normal hard and elite and that applies to any quest created in the last several years. I have seen a clear difference in Two Toed Tobias for example. But I can't back any of this up with dev quotes or anything I am afraid.
    You would have to dig through all the old dev comments I have no intention to do that. That was my understanding is that the purpose behind mythic bonuses was so loot would be differentiated by chances to get mythic tier bonuses rather than drop rates.

I don't run anything below elite except raids so I can't really verify anything by experience. I don't notice much difference in drop rates between LH Hound and LE Tempest Spine, but I've only received +4 mythic bonuses on LE runs.

Thanks. I spent 1000+ shards along with my 200+ runs in EE Fleshmaker and got no mythic item.

I can't recommend anyone spend shards from real money on rerolls, unless you just have a stash of shards you are never going to use, or can sell the items for more than you spend (Haunted Halls was like this when new).

By the time you get an item, it is usually outdated by newer content.
    Those items were much more rare than top-tier mythic bonus items in newer content. I ran that daily on LE for almost a whole year and that was after farming it on alts and I ended up with around 10 mythic items.

You won't see items when on ransack, but you get the ransack warning messages on your last run. You WILL get named items on your last run even with the warning messages - but nothing if you keep running it after that. You can do 8 runs in a 7-day period before ransack.
    Last edited by slarden; 08-05-2016 at 02:59 PM.

Those items were much more rare than top-tier mythic bonus items in newer content. I ran that daily on LE for almost a whole year and that was after farming it on alts and I ended up with around 10 mythic items.

You won't see items when on ransack, but you get the ransack warning messages on your last run. You WILL get named items on your last run even with the warning messages - but nothing if you keep running it after that. You can do 8 runs in a 7-day period before ransack.
    I recommend players look up chest ransack. The chest resets 7 days after you first open it.

This could mean 1 run on day 1, 7 runs on day 7, and 8 runs on day 8. (15 runs in a two day period - handy if you only have free time on your 2 days off)

If you are busy, get that 1st run in to speed up chest reset. Sadly, I don't think there is a way to check it other than to go back in and see if your ransack is gone. Record the date/time so you know when the next ransack disappears.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast