Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Grailhawk View Post
    Even at 66 you probably are still better off with Arborea but should you look at your hide skill and see it significantly higher then 66 you might think about Ethereal.
    Thanks for doing the math Grailhawk. This is pretty much what I figured. If the build were dex based, then I'd probably be a lot more interested in ethereal. Definitely something to consider for anyone running a dex based tempest.
    Unarmed monk guide with builds|The Arcane Warrior: wiz/fighter hybrids|White Feather Sniper: CC/dps focused deepwood stalker|The Divine Cuisinart: divine crusader tempest|The Count of Monte Cristo: swashbuckler|Hassan's Assassin: dex assassin|Dubbell O'Seven: WF artificer|Santa's Little Slayer: dragonmarked elf centered kensai

Community Member

I've been running the Dex based version but considering switching to Str based, and working in Dire Charge. That said.. on your stats.. no Primal Scream for the +5 boost?

Also, for your offhand ToEE weapon, slot silver for DR breaking on new content?

Quote Originally Posted by RS-Makk View Post
    I've been running the Dex based version but considering switching to Str based, and working in Dire Charge. That said.. on your stats.. no Primal Scream for the +5 boost?

He doesn't appear to have the twists for it. I run primal scream though and it's good to have.

For the new content, the only thing you need silver for is Harry iirc. Most devils are good or silver. I have a lgs khopesh I was playing with that and only noticed yellow numbers on Harry and the portals.

The Rakshasa has either dr pierce or Pierce + Good. I'm not sure if the good is required since I don't have a way of not doing good damage.

The Codex is chaotic for dr (I'm chaotic good).

Quote Originally Posted by LordPiglet View Post
    He doesn't appear to have the twists for it. I run primal scream though and it's good to have.

For the new content, the only thing you need silver for is Harry iirc. Most devils are good or silver. I have a lgs khopesh I was playing with that and only noticed yellow numbers on Harry and the portals.

The Rakshasa has either dr pierce or Pierce + Good. I'm not sure if the good is required since I don't have a way of not doing good damage.

The Codex is chaotic for dr (I'm chaotic good).
    Been using leopards chill scimitar in offhand ( need more mushrooms for TOEE khopesh) that has silver and chews through devils nicely, the ice procs a lot.
    "IM-PLO-SION: For when you just HAVE to kill every M**********R in the room"-
    (Samuel L Jackson)

"Some are insane, and the're in charge"
    (GoF)

Sarlona: Mercilless, Maliciouss, Relenttless. Plus others.....

That said.. on your stats.. no Primal Scream for the +5 boost?
    You could twist primal scream instead of impregnable mind. I feel like the dps is high enough that I'd rather have the added protection of a solid will save. The other three twists - symmetric strikes/sense weakness (as preferred), balanced attacks, and extra action boosts - are must haves imo and I wouldn't want to give up any of them.

As LordPiglet said, Harry is the only thing that requires both silver and good. You could swap in a DR breaker for Harry. Whether breaking DR or having the extra 20 melee power from the ToEE set offers more dps depends on the difficulty.
    Unarmed monk guide with builds|The Arcane Warrior: wiz/fighter hybrids|White Feather Sniper: CC/dps focused deepwood stalker|The Divine Cuisinart: divine crusader tempest|The Count of Monte Cristo: swashbuckler|Hassan's Assassin: dex assassin|Dubbell O'Seven: WF artificer|Santa's Little Slayer: dragonmarked elf centered kensai

I have a lgs khopesh I was playing with that and only noticed yellow numbers on Harry and the portals.
    Shroud portals have unbreakable DR. Celestia will do full damage because it does light damage, that is, if you don't have one of the many many ability which breaks that.

EDIT: Confirmed by Hobgoblin below to be DR/pierce + good.
    Last edited by CThruTheEgo; 12-29-2015 at 08:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobgoblin View Post
    kk what about the dorf v hummie?

and what about scimis?
    Quote Originally Posted by cthruthego;
    Pretty much what I said before. Tempests got an update such that they will be powerful regardless of those kind of build choices. You can see from RS-Makk's and adrian69's posts above that they made significant changes and still had an effective tempest. unbongwah also offers an elf tempest. All of them are viable, powerful, and fun. But if optimal dps is your goal, then human with khopesh is it. Dwarf with dwarf axe, or something else with scimitar - both will do just fine, but they won't offer as much dps as human with khopesh. So it really depends on your priorities. If your priority is dps, as mine is, then go human with khopesh. If you don't want to bother farming weapons and don't mind the dps loss, go with whatever you have available. If you want a specific race or weapon for flavor, go for it. They will all make great tempests.

Khops do come out DPS wise due to the better lack of crit procs on TF weapons at lower tiers and such, but I am not sure that it's that noticeable in most content. On the dex build, I end up with higher reflex saves and armor class, which just makes certain quests easier, and I don't fail saves, much. My dmg stat doesn't lag that far behind since loot table pass either. However, he's right, Khops come out ahead in the long run.

Daxes and Hammers are nice when rolling 19s and 20s for those big hits, but why not hit for 70% of that 25% more often?

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    Yes: Emp Heal works with Cocoon, Renewal, and Light the Dark; Max works on none of them.
    Not even consecrated ground?

Quote Originally Posted by Enderoc View Post
    No metamagics work on consecration.

Quote Originally Posted by CThruTheEgo View Post
    Shroud portals have unbreakable DR. Celestia will do full damage because it does light damage, that is, if you don't have one of the many many ability which breaks that.

According to the wiki, it is only piercing DR.
    i went and tested this -

paladin

+5 longsword - yellow numbers - combat log said blocked by pierce
    +5 longsword of pure good - yellow numbers - still said blocked by pierce
    Deathnips - w/o capstone making it good - yellow numbers -- said blocked by good
    deathnips - w capstone - no yellow numbers

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Enderoc View Post
    Consecration & Sacred Ground are only affected by your base Spellpower; as CThru said, metamagics have no effect.
    Semi-retired Build Engineer. Everything was better back in our day. Get off my lawn.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobgoblin View Post
    i went and tested this -

paladin

+5 longsword - yellow numbers - combat log said blocked by pierce
    +5 longsword of pure good - yellow numbers - still said blocked by pierce
    Deathnips - w/o capstone making it good - yellow numbers -- said blocked by good
    deathnips - w capstone - no yellow numbers
    After my previous post about this, I found the general wiki entry for rakshasas does state that they have DR/pierce + good, but the entry for the new Shroud boss only states DR/pierce. I figured it was probably innacurate due to whoever entering the info already having the ability to bypass good DR. I meant to amend my previous comment but never got around to it. Thanks for confirming.
    Last edited by CThruTheEgo; 12-29-2015 at 08:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grailhawk View Post
    Scion of Arborea vs Scion of Ethereal based on what i see in your OP post.

Even at 66 you probably are still better off with Arborea but should you look at your hide skill and see it significantly higher then 66 you might think about Ethereal.
    Shouldn't one of the 2d20 damage feats out-DPS both arborea and ethereal?
    Considering ethereal adds 72 damage per hit in your example, you'd only need 342 spellpower to be equal, which sounds quite reasonable (I'm not sure if metamagics apply, since this build has maximise, but I can do some tests when I'm back home).
    Not to mention those feats add much better additional stuff like PRR/MRR/Heal Amp/Spellpower, depending on which you chose (I guess feywild is the best for general use, since not much resists sonic).
    Thelanis - Ethforged - Etherar - Fjirty --- Mitis Mors
    Ghallanda - Ethrayne - Ethryne --- Omnipresence
    Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKVn...wLuzB2Q/videos

Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    Shouldn't one of the 2d20 damage feats out-DPS both arborea and ethereal?
    Considering ethereal adds 72 damage per hit in your example, you'd only need 342 spellpower to be equal, which sounds quite reasonable (I'm not sure if metamagics apply, since this build has maximise, but I can do some tests when I'm back home).
    Not to mention those feats add much better additional stuff like PRR/MRR/Heal Amp/Spellpower, depending on which you chose (I guess feywild is the best for general use, since not much resists sonic).
    I was thinking myself of those 2d20 that scale with spellpower when I accidentally hit the training dummy with my 20 spellsinger and saw a 320 sonic damge. If you put rank in perform and max out sonic (not that hard atm get a decent spellpower on a non caster) you may get better dps the arborea or ethereal.
    Triple Heroic & Epic completionist. Eroic : 42/42 - Epic : 36/36 - Iconic : 12/12.

We/re getting hide scores approaching 120, somebody page Grailhawk and get some numbers run.

Quote Originally Posted by Basura_Grande View Post
    We/re getting hide scores approaching 120, somebody page Grailhawk and get some numbers run.
    That'd require a bit more than 500 spellpower. Would be doable if metas apply (like I said, need to test).
    45 implement
    75 spellcraft
    138 augment
    20 pot
    15 ship
    150 maximise
    75 empower
    40 from the feat itself
    ---

Requiring a slot probably sucks though.
    Better against sneak immune targets, worse against targets that are immune to whatever element you chose.

Stuff like 20PRR is probably appealing for a ranger though (from scion of earth).
    It's a tough choice I'd say.
    Thelanis - Ethforged - Etherar - Fjirty --- Mitis Mors
    Ghallanda - Ethrayne - Ethryne --- Omnipresence
    Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKVn...wLuzB2Q/videos

Quote Originally Posted by Basura_Grande View Post
    I'm not a math guy, but etheral only work on sneak attack while 2d20 scaling with spellpower is always on no matter what. Now, there is for sure some mob resistant or immune to sonic but not that many.
    Yes you can use assassin trick & deception but still think 2d20 is better. As I said already I'n mot a math guy so you may prove I'm wrong.
    Triple Heroic & Epic completionist. Eroic : 42/42 - Epic : 36/36 - Iconic : 12/12.

That'd require a bit more than 500 spellpower. Would be doable if metas apply (like I said, need to test).
    45 implement
    75 spellcraft
    138 augment
    20 pot
    15 ship
    150 maximise
    75 empower
    40 from the feat itself
    ---

Better against sneak immune targets, worse against targets that are immune to whatever element you chose.

Stuff like 20PRR is probably appealing for a ranger though (from scion of earth).
    If you are a bard you can twist in aria 60 spell power + max perform and now we got insightful spell power so another 70-80(don't remember exact number), I know it's a ranger forum just saying.

Vamprism is actually very amusing on a Tempest and a wolf.

On my Tempest when I have Sneak of Shadows active and am boosting I've seen sneak attack numbers over 500.

Community Member

45 implement
    75 spellcraft
    138 augment
    20 pot
    15 ship
    150 maximise
    75 empower
    40 from the feat itself
    ---

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the implement bonus cap out at ML since the U29 hotfix?

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast