Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Important MyDDO, Forum, & Compendium Information

This april we will be making several big changes and updates to the DDO community websites ahead of the Expansion. In preparation for the changes, please review the following important details regarding each of the website components:

Forums

The forums are going to be upgraded to a newer version of vBulletin. After the upgrade, you will use your DDO game login credentials to log into the forums, and your current forum name will become your display nickname. You will retain all of your existing posting history, reputation, etc. If you're new to the forums, you'll be able to select a display nickname the first time you log into the forums with your game credentials. Other notable changes include:

• The forum styling/appearance will be updated.
    • We will be adding a new forum home page that includes forum category navigation and feeds of recent turbine announcements/recent player discussions.
    • We will also be opening individual class forums again.
    • The reputation system will be revamped to allow only positive reputation to be issued.
    • Our bug reporting system is being revamped. Soon you will no longer need a forum login in order to submit bug reports, and we will be able to process bug reports more quickly. We will update the bug reporting links as soon as the new system is available. Please continue to use the existing bug reporting tool until the new one is in place, as we are still reviewing bugs submitted through it.

Compendium

The DDO Compendium will be discontinued. We will be migrating official guides to the updated DDO.com website. Users with guides or guild pages in the Compendium should migrate their content to another location, such as the guides or recruitment forums.

MyDDO

Several MyDDO components will be moving to DDO.com or retiring. Details are as follows:

• The current player blog functionality will be discontinued. We are investigating ways of bringing blogging to players in the community site, but in the meantime existing player blogs can be exported for use at a later time. Exporting your blog will create an XML file containing all your blog entries, comments, and images, which can be imported into a variety of blogging platforms. For a guide to how to export your blog, click here!
    • Character and guild leaderboards will be discontinued. The existing API will continue to operate after April 24th, though there may be periodic interruptions of service.
    • The lottery system will also be discontinued. We will be focusing on giving prizes via other mediums such as forum and social media giveaways.
    • The Character Copy tool is being revamped and migrated to DDO.com. Stay tuned for announcements once this feature is available at its new URL.
    • The DDO referral system is being revamped and migrated to DDO.com. Please note that if you currently have active referrals, you will continue to accrue bonus points from your existing referrals, but you will be unable to redeem bonus points from your referral wallet or add new referrals until the new front-end of the referral system is launched on DDO.com. Stay tuned for announcements once the new URL is available.

Thanks for your patience as we work on the websites! We will bring more information and announcements as they are available.
    Last edited by Tolero; 04-18-2013 at 10:34 AM. Reason: updated API info

Quote Originally Posted by Tolero View Post
    • We will be adding a new forum home page that includes forum category navigation and feeds of recent turbine announcements/recent player discussions.
    These are good changes that are long overdue. The current forum is beyond cumbersome to navigate.

• The reputation system will be revamped to allow only positive reputation to be issued.
    Why even have rep anymore? If any reputation consequence for being disruptive/trolling/attacking is removed, then positive rep is even more meaningless than it was before and the system loses the last little shred it had of a purpose. Just remove reputation entirely already.

Compendium

The DDO Compendium will be discontinued. We will be migrating official guides to the updated DDO.com website. Users with guides or guild pages in the Compendium should migrate their content to another location, such as the guides or recruitment forums.
    Does this mean the information on what abilities and enhancements each class and race get at each level is going to be removed or changed? Because those items are actually really well laid out and I make frequent use of them when contemplating new builds.

• Character and guild data will be discontinued. Please note that this will also impact any systems that rely on character data including guild leaderboards, challenge leaderboards, and API functionality.
    This is awful. Don't remove this functionality - fix it so it actually updates properly! You're going to kill all the great external apps for checking raid timers, leveling order and selections, and any tangible record of the past lives of characters that were actually very memorable.

This seems to me like you're saying "We don't want to bother fixing or supporting this tool, even though it is very useful to a lot of players. So we're just going to kill it and not bother replacing any of its functionality. Now run along and buy something from the store."

This doesn't have to be removed. It used to work in the past. If you really wanted to you could make it work again.
    Ascent, Argonnessen ~ Cleatus Yogurthawker | Isostatic Rebound | Mohorovicic Discontinuity | Angular Unconformity
    Ghalanda ~
    Feldspathic Greywacke

Unhappy

This april we will be making several big changes and updates to the DDO community websites ahead of the Expansion. In preparation for the changes, please review the following important details regarding each of the website components:

Forums

The forums are going to be upgraded to a newer version of vBulletin. After the upgrade, you will use your DDO game login credentials to log into the forums, and your current forum name will become your display nickname. You will retain all of your existing posting history, reputation, etc. If you're new to the forums, you'll be able to select a display nickname the first time you log into the forums with your game credentials. Other notable changes include:

• Our bug reporting system is being revamped. Soon you will no longer need a forum login in order to submit bug reports, and we will be able to process bug reports more quickly. We will update the bug reporting links as soon as the new system is available. Please continue to use the existing bug reporting tool until the new one is in place, as we are still reviewing bugs submitted through it.

Compendium

MyDDO

Several MyDDO components will be moving to DDO.com or retiring. Details are as follows:

• The current player blog functionality will be discontinued. We are investigating ways of bringing blogging to players in the community site, but in the meantime existing player blogs can be exported for use at a later time. Exporting your blog will create an XML file containing all your blog entries, comments, and images, which can be imported into a variety of blogging platforms. For a guide to how to export your blog, click here!
    • Character and guild data will be discontinued. Please note that this will also impact any systems that rely on character data including guild leaderboards, challenge leaderboards, and API functionality.
    • The lottery system will also be discontinued. We will be focusing on giving prizes via other mediums such as forum and social media giveaways.
    • The Character Copy tool is being revamped and migrated to DDO.com. Stay tuned for announcements once this feature is available at its new URL.
    • The DDO referral system is being revamped and migrated to DDO.com. Please note that if you currently have active referrals, you will continue to accrue bonus points from your existing referrals, but you will be unable to redeem bonus points from your referral wallet or add new referrals until the new front-end of the referral system is launched on DDO.com. Stay tuned for announcements once the new URL is available.

Thanks for your patience as we work on the websites! We will bring more information and announcements as they are available.
    I'm gonna pout now about the blogs going away! How am I gonna keep up to date on Evennote or Geoffhanna now?
    Quote Originally Posted by AZgreentea View Post
    I think the problem is that, as an inexperienced trapper, you used far to much C4 to disable the trap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Izumar View Post
    There's that moment when you learn not to stand next to the guy doing the trap. For your group mate it was this moment.

Hero, Mo Bro H'ro, & MB Super-H'ro ComicRelief's Avatar

Default BUt, But, But...I like Blogging...Sometimes...

Well, I think we all saw it coming. However, it would be nice if Turbine actually had a plan IN PLACE to replace the MyDDO blogging, instead of a "We are investigating ways of bringing blogging to players in the community site" statement which, quite frankly, has the feeling of "We will have player blogging again...maybe...someday...possibly..."

In other words: "SOON™"
    "...At least it tells us they understand our language; they're just not willing to speak to us in it. -Who knew they were French?"

Unfortunately, this change (specifically the removal of the API) will kill a good chunk of YourDDO. I will make my official announcement in the fansites area once I'm level-headed enough to not come across like an angry troll...

So you kill practical, well-used mechanics but keep positive only reputation?

Sense you no make
    Hilarious Princess....Sorry your life is so medicore after all this time..Lol, you are scared of a farmer? with a tractor....?

Not to sad/surprised to see most of these mostly dying features leave or be duplicated elsewhere EXCEPT losing character export information (even the sorry amount we have) is sad UNLESS there's a newer/deeper/better version coming soon.

I *still* play DDO because of all the custom building that goes into each character that isn't matched by any other MMO. I know that means you have a really tricky and changing character database, but THIS EXPORTING should be a priority for this cornerstone of your game. Hire a web intern and make it so!
    Casual DDOaholic

Unhappy

Of all the changes, this is the saddest part for me. I really enjoyed posting in my blog, even if nobody really cared how my Wilderness Only was doing, or what I did over the last year. Isn't that the point of a blog? To post stuff nobody reads?

Really though, I liked the blogs.
    The problem is never how to get new, innovative thoughts into your mind, but how to get old ones out. Every mind is a building filled with archaic furniture. Clean out a corner of your mind and creativity will instantly fill it.
    Dee Hock

I'm shocked, SHOCKED I tell you (yawn), that they're discontinuing Character/Guild data and player blogs (surely many people saw that coming?). Why spend money to fix something a lot of players like when you can just discontinue it and put your efforts into new moneygrabs like ASAH and Daily Dice?
    Last edited by PNellesen; 03-28-2013 at 02:14 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ertay View Post
    While they were at it though, the devs decided to go on an incredible nerfhammer rampage and left nothing in their wake standing...

Community Member

Overall, some interesting changes. Only thing i take issue with is:

... you will use your DDO game login credentials to log into the forums ...
    While i know the ship has sailed a long time ago, i'd rather keep separate logins for game and forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Mizzaroo View Post
    I'm gonna pout now about the blogs going away! How am I gonna keep up to date on Evennote or Geoffhanna now?
    Well, I got to admit - that hurt a little - not mentioning me...
    "...At least it tells us they understand our language; they're just not willing to speak to us in it. -Who knew they were French?"

I'm sad about myddo, but it is what it is.

But killing any way for us to at least externally check raid timers and such is silly. Lets get with the times shall we? Can you PLEASE do something so we can use smartphones and such in conjunction with DDO for a wealth of information. Like raid timers, like LFMs, like messages about won auctions or such. That would be good.

Revamping Forums - okay - only allowing positive feedback? Why bother.

Lotro survived, we will too.

Though I can't say I like the look or navigability of the lotro forums.
    Magical Rings are well... magical. - Gandalf

While I join the "wait n see" lurkers, I have to claim my fear that our forums will become something akin to the disaster the LOTRO forums are.

Am seriously grumbly about the mention of our Lottery being farmed out to "social media" sites.

Others are making good points about losing functionality of external apps that access My.DDO data successfully and the lack of blog alternatives before killing the current system.

*sigh*

Most importantly: Please please please take the proper steps to avoid another incarnation of the Great Forum Purge of '07.
    CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    Collectibles

Of all the changes, this is the saddest part for me. I really enjoyed posting in my blog, even if nobody really cared how my Wilderness Only was doing, or what I did over the last year. Isn't that the point of a blog? To post stuff nobody reads?

Really though, I liked the blogs.
    I agree. And for the record, I liked reading about your "Wilderness Only" adventures.

Quote Originally Posted by ComicRelief View Post
    I agree. And for the record, I liked reading about your "Wilderness Only" adventures.
    /Seconded. It's how I finally motivated myself to get my first and only level 20.
    CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    Collectibles

Community Member

I do NOT want to be forced to participate in social media.

I want the same access via forums to any giveaways that are present in the social media.

Do you realize what security compromises arise from facebook membership, let alone the tactless marketing foisted on twitter and facebook users?

And I do hope the forum doesnt become cluttered with ads, please allow me to keep my light colored text on a dark background, or I won't be participating much.

And I do hope archives of all the useful content in blogs are kept somewhere for future reference and posterity.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by ComicRelief View Post
    Well, I got to admit - that hurt a little - not mentioning me...
    Oh pfft! You blog like what? Once every other month? Haha
    I think the problem is that, as an inexperienced trapper, you used far to much C4 to disable the trap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Izumar View Post
    There's that moment when you learn not to stand next to the guy doing the trap. For your group mate it was this moment.

Forums

Compendium

MyDDO

You had me at hello!

I am disappointed by the loss of MyDDO. It was the only place to see past lives and such. Was very useful to review what I had done in the past on multilife characters.

The loss of 3rd party tools such as YourDDO will also be a big loss.

-1 rep for Turbine. (While I still can)
    Asheras - Velania - Renvar - Ventarya - Officer of Lava Divers - Khyber

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast