Default Envenomed Blade Armor Piercing - Applies to both hands?? **Edit: Confirmed!!**

Edit: Confirmed!! Armor piercing (at least on the Envenomed Blade) applies armor piercing to both weapons equipped! Let me know if you want a screenshot.

So I pulled the Envenomed Blade today. Sweet weapon, tons of fun all around.

"Armor-Piercing - 10%: If the Target of this weapon has ortification, it will be trated as having 10% less Fortification..."

I always assumed this meant it only applied to the Envenomed Blade. However, this is what I'm confused by. When you equip the weapon, it shows up in the combat log.

(Combat) You Benefit from your armor-piercing -10%.
    (Combat) Bypasses 10% enemy fortification

This seems to denote the effect is more of a global one. To further illustrate, equipping a Disease Immunity item will pull up a similar message in the combat log; (Combat) You benefit from your disease ward.

So with those considerations in mind, does Armor-Piercing only apply to the weapon the effect is on or does it apply to both weapons much like Sneak Attack does?

*If anyone has done testing on this, I would LOVE to see those results*
    Last edited by bhgiant; 03-25-2012 at 08:30 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    We are not working with the aliens to send messages that are picked up by your microwaved meatloaf dinner. At least I don't think so...
    Proud member of Tyrs Paladium

It does apply to both weapons, as described in the little FAQ section of this similar item:
    http://ddowiki.com/page/Treason_(weapon)

EDIT: Actually, I read the FAQ wrong, and the answer looks less clear to me.
    Last edited by Dulcimerist; 02-29-2012 at 01:26 AM.
    "Swords will cut you wide open!" - Trip Fisk

Quote Originally Posted by Dulcimerist View Post
    It does apply to both weapons, as described in the little FAQ section of this similar item:

EDIT: Actually, I read the FAQ wrong, and the answer looks less clear to me.
    Yeah, that's referring to the threat reduction and not the Fortification bypass.

I wish there was some way for me to test this... maybe go to pvp, hold in off hand while swinging with main hand and see how often a crit lands?
    We are not working with the aliens to send messages that are picked up by your microwaved meatloaf dinner. At least I don't think so...

Nvm.

Entirely guesswork here but...

Given how effects such as Stunning +X, Doublestrike, and other effects affect the weilder rather than the weapon itself, it seems likely that the Fortification Bypass affects the wielder (And thus any weapons used by the wielder). Its probably just easier for devs to code it that way!

A confirmation from a dev would be awesome. I can't test this very well, or at least I haven't been able to figure out a way to (my rogue has opportunist which just confudles the issue further).

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dulcimerist View Post
    As a further complication, that FAQ response was 100% incorrect at the time it was written. It was only in this week's U13 patch that Treason actually started bypassing Fortification.

The devs were explaining what they thought it did, not how it really worked.

this should be testable on the dummy, assuming you have TWF feats and a bunch of spare time

main hand a holy/puregood/righteous weapon(purely for the 'good' damage flag for easy identification) off-hand envenomed.

slaughter the dummy to make it helpless

if you don't have opportunist, just swing until you get a main hand (good dmg type) sneak attack

if you do have opportunist... hope you have a bunch of time, you'll need to get at least a (statistically)significant amount of main-hand sneak attacks so we can trust the rate has accounted for luck.

20% means they stack additive, 19% means they stack multiplicative, 10% tells us nothing, anything else tells you to swing more til you hit one of those benchmarks.

good luck(I have neither envenomed blade nor TWF feats on any character that can equip it)

btw, the dummy should be a viable test since it was how we tested opportunist to actually be working.
    Rule one: never act incautiously when confronting a little bald wrinkly smiling old man. ~ Terry Pratchett

Quote Originally Posted by Redicular View Post
    this should be testable on the dummy, assuming you have TWF feats and a bunch of spare time

main hand a holy/puregood/righteous weapon(purely for the 'good' damage flag for easy identification) off-hand envenomed.

slaughter the dummy to make it helpless

if you don't have opportunist, just swing until you get a main hand (good dmg type) sneak attack

if you do have opportunist... hope you have a bunch of time, you'll need to get at least a (statistically)significant amount of main-hand sneak attacks so we can trust the rate has accounted for luck.

20% means they stack additive, 19% means they stack multiplicative, 10% tells us nothing, anything else tells you to swing more til you hit one of those benchmarks.

good luck(I have neither envenomed blade nor TWF feats on any character that can equip it)

btw, the dummy should be a viable test since it was how we tested opportunist to actually be working.
    Thank you, that should work. My rogue has Opportunist so this may take some time. If anyone else wants to start testing in their spare time and post their results here, it would be greatly appreciated. Do as the above states and record the results of each hand separately. I will post updates when I can.

Default Eureka!!

Confirmed! Armor piercing applies to both hands. I equipped Envenomed Blade in my off hand and a dagger in my main hand on my sorc. No other source of fort bypass available. I swung until I saw a critical hit confirmed. It was definitely the main hand (+10/15/20 to-hit on the main hand, +8/13/18 to-hit on the off hand, very easy to distinguish).

So there you go. If you would like me to post screenshots, let me know.