Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Lleren View Post
    No

That is a classic example of the Share Please meme. All less then a sentence requests are equal to this screenshot.

Side effect of overexposure.
    And again, it is too bad that there are players that lump everyone that they don't even know into one pot like that. I certainly take note when people are idiots, but I don't compare other people to them based solely on two words.

Has anyone ever used share please as a joke? I have, and it also provides another service it helps you find those people who seem to have a constant pineapple or something shoved up their neither regions so you know who to squelch for the duration of the quest/raid, whatever.

Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Daggertooth View Post
    Was just about to say that as I was scrolling down the thread...

I mean its pretty clear that the guy was new to the whole thing and was clueless as to what the 'taxi' service even meant. He probably just completed both both flagging quests and didnt realize that the next step was for him to then find the entrance to the raid.

So my question is ... the OP can easily tell that the guy was clueless why did he keep insisting on ramming the 'taxi' thing down the guy's throat? It wasn't obvious that the guy didn't know what he was talking about? To be honest this is what I don't like about many of the 'experienced' players. Their definition of 'help' is alot like Katy Sagal tossing the salad when the cigarette she is puffing on falls out of her mouth and lands in it during the opening credits of Married With Children.

OP is like "TAXI!" "TAXI!" "TAXI!" and the guy is like 'what the **** are you talking about?'

Where are the people in this game who can nudge someone in the right direction without making them feel like a complete ass for god forbid not being a psychic and knowing where to go next? Granted, the guy could have researched the wiki or something but based on how difficult it is to actually find a group that is running most of the obscure quests in the game, cant people be a little nicer instead of stomping thier feet like a caveman and shouting "ME TAXI!" "ME TAXI" YOU NO KNOW??? ME TAXI!...."

Obviously the OP was helping many people at once so probably wasnt in the most generous mood and thats understandable but for the future if its obvious the person doesn't know the procedure why not just refer them to the wiki or explain that he is not actually 'flagged' for the raid because the next part of the 'adventure' is for him to explore the isles and find the entrance to the forge? Is that such a complex concept? Apparently for today's 'mmo' generation it is.
    This ^

So many experienced players don't seem to realize that this game that they like so much that they have played every bit of it umpteem times and memorized will cease to exist without new blood. If you treat that new blood like **** and drive them away, this game will cease to exist and they won't be able to play it at all, nevermind in the rigidly-dictated way that they demand now...

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vint View Post
    I feel the same way about the language barrier. I have a few guildies that have rather good English skills; it is just sometimes hard to communicate.

But you say you won’t defend person #1 . What % of people do you think are lazy as in shr plz, and what % ask for share due to language barrier? Is it language barrier every time my LFM says
    Farming Shadow Crypt
    Farming Deleras 2 and 4
    Farming eastern 2
    Farming GH side quests
    And so on?

I am all for being nice to people but it gets old real quick when almost every pug you start you get a shr plz request.

As for your assertion that the servers will be a ghost town, that is not my problem. When I do pug it is to sometimes quicker to have competent people with me. I do not put up LFM's in hopes that someone will come save the day. I can just as easily two box 95% of the game. I could care less if all the incompetent lazy share plz quit the game. It is not like I go out of my way to try to group with them.

To the last point, I could care less if people quit and it costs Turbine to close servers. My character selection screen does not have a character named Euphoria challenge, DDO Quest guide, or Wiki quest info. I am not paid to help anyone and could care less if the servers are shut down or I can’t run a Shroud again because everyone quit.

It is one thing for the language barrier, but neither you nor anyone else can convince me that what the OP experienced was an isolated incident. In some cases I will be the nice guy and share a quest that might be out of the way, but I refuse to play the guess game of lazy/language and coddle people.
    i'm not trying to say you should show the patience of a saint, i'm well aware many people log onto DDO after a hard days work and just want to unwind in their own way. while it may sound horrible i'm in an adults only guild because we all work hard and when we log on for the night we don't want to have to deal with kids. we've tried it before and bless em but they arnt half hard work. nothing personal against our younger players but its not something i want to deal with when i'm unwinding. bah humbug and all that.

having said that i do often enjoy playing the tutor, i'll often spend hours tending to harbour /advice and have been known to let a newbie lead a quest they have never seen before to ensure they experience it properly for the first time.

but you challenged people to put up a defence for the "shr plz" phenomenon and there are some legitimate reasons why a player might say that while still being a good player. another good reason is a vet doing it for giggles, or asking if the high level quest is in the harbour (have a guild who loves that one, so now when he's not sure i tell him its in the harbour)

so by all means play the game your way, having fun in a party is important and we're not all going to get along together. i'm personally happy to take the "shr plz" problem with the change in player base FTP has given us as i really didnt appreciate semi-loosing years worth of character development to a dying game. sure i have them all back again, but they are stuck on a server thats not my home, and as a light RP guild we have done well with out airship and new characters so moving server to play our old characters is not really an option.

its good that your not as attached to your characters as i am, probably a sign of a far healthier mind

any way, i'm not here to convince you to change your mind, just to point out some sensible reasons why a player might not be a colossal pain in the butt just because they said "share please". you've acknowledged those so thats your challenge met. now if you want to further challenge us to try changing your mind on it then thats another thing entirely and i'm thinking it might be an exercise in futility

so, fight fun, however you choose to do so
    www.legendsguild.eu A light RP guild that's moved from Keeper in Europe to Thelanis
    Play DDO in 3D, for fweeeee! how to use coloured 3D glasses with DDO.
    East? West? Which way's that? Putting East and West back on the (mini)map
    Tired of chasing blue dots? Find a speed or striding item, vets are hooked on them and you will be too!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by HAL View Post
    This ^

So many experienced players don't seem to realize that this game that they like so much that they have played every bit of it umpteem times and memorized will cease to exist without new blood. If you treat that new blood like **** and drive them away, this game will cease to exist and they won't be able to play it at all, nevermind in the rigidly-dictated way that they demand now...
    but there is a bit difference between a newbie asking questions and a player you cant communicate with. the OP's subject showed no signs of attempting to communicate, the subject was also not flagged and with no way to explain what needed to be done to flag there wasnt much else to do but kick. as you can see the OP was already dealing with 2 other newbies who were both in need of a guiding hand but most importantly were both communicating.

so the OP was not treating the new blood like #beep#, she was helping as best as she was able for a quest she wasnt even going to participate in. its a little unfair to accuse her of being elitist and an unfriendly vet when she has gone to all that trouble to help others, newbies and vets alike.

i'm not saying that there isnt a problem in the game with elitist vets being unhelpful and unfriendly, but this is not such a case.
    www.legendsguild.eu A light RP guild that's moved from Keeper in Europe to Thelanis
    Tired of chasing blue dots? Find a speed or striding item, vets are hooked on them and you will be too!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Denegrator View Post
    Yes we are lucky in this regard to be perfectly honest, still doesn't take the irritation factor away though.

Absolutely pathetic, was expecting more from you, so in the words of those in other games: GTFO + L2P Nub. (Joking, fairly drama free tbh man, but I still opt for boot prints on arses. )
    ahhh, go and boil your bottom you son of a silly person. your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!

Founder

Quote Originally Posted by ReaperAlexEU View Post
    but there is a bit difference between a newbie asking questions and a player you cant communicate with. the OP's subject showed no signs of attempting to communicate, the subject was also not flagged and with no way to explain what needed to be done to flag there wasnt much else to do but kick. as you can see the OP was already dealing with 2 other newbies who were both in need of a guiding hand but most importantly were both communicating.

so the OP was not treating the new blood like #beep#, she was helping as best as she was able for a quest she wasnt even going to participate in. its a little unfair to accuse her of being elitist and an unfriendly vet when she has gone to all that trouble to help others, newbies and vets alike.

i'm not saying that there isnt a problem in the game with elitist vets being unhelpful and unfriendly, but this is not such a case.
    Repeating that you're a taxi when he obviously doesn't understand isn't helpful. And I don't understand about how many people the OP had to deal with. Was there a timer I didn't read about? If the Leader said "Ok, we're starting without anyone not here", the "taxi" would then have plenty of time to chat with the confused person. And why would there be no way to explain what was needed to flag?

But if you read my other posts, my objection is to the OP's entire premise that the reason people hate the words "share please" is because occasionally they have to deal with someone like this, so they condemn everyone who asks for a share.

Blogger and Hatchery Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council

lol. am i gonna have to start screencapping when i'm helpful and nice, just to prove that i'm not a heartless elitist veteran b**ch or something?

jeeze

the official home of LOLWUT
    and R.O.G.U.E !
    Pointless/Frivolous/Beguiling/Justanotha Waste of Time, Katzklaw, Pickt d'Locks & etc
    Q: how do you get me to appear in a thread? A: ask a bard question! XD

Quote Originally Posted by Lleren View Post
    Side effect of overexposure.
    I would have to say this is what it really boils down to.

Not so much a hate of the phrase, but too many jaded players realizing that "Share Please" or it's variants is a warning sign that is going to go bad.

Particularly under specific conditions, IE: Raids that require flagging or can't be shared, walk-ups (Giant Hold, Vale), and when you need to go through the quest giver to get to the quest (Kobold Assault for example), or when you said slayers and rares and they asked for a share......

Now to be fair, I can't tell you the number of times I have asked for a share for Reavers Fate after I face planted into the door, simply because I was too lazy to run over to the quest giver. So sharing a quest is not the issue for most players, it's the conditions by which the request is given and how it is delivered.

2014 DDO Players Council
    Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by katz View Post
    lol. am i gonna have to start screencapping when i'm helpful and nice, just to prove that i'm not a heartless elitist veteran b**ch or something?

jeeze
    No. But take this as a good example where textural humor may not come off correctly. I've done it. Your pariah status is a mere glitch that will soon be forgotten in light of your overall actions. Just ignore it and move on.

/wry smile
    ~ Crimson Eagles of Khyber ~
    ~ Melianny ~ Melizzic ~ Melton ~ Meliambit ~ Mellant ~ Melimenace ~ Melangst ~

Quote Originally Posted by MeliCat View Post
    No. But take this as a good example where textural humor may not come off correctly. I've done it. Your pariah status is a mere glitch that will soon be forgotten in light of your overall actions. Just ignore it and move on.

/wry smile
    Some People like to fuss. It's a quick matter to see who is here to add something earnest to the discussions and who is here to offer nothing but strife.

Founder

Quote Originally Posted by katz View Post

jeeze
    I think your phrase is a little over the top and doesn't accurately describe anyone's reaction to you. All we're commenting on is this one screen shot in your OP, not whatever you do outside that. Is being a taxi helpful, of course. Were you helpful to the subject of your jabs? Not really. He was obviously confused about something. Whether that was due to language, age, mental acuity or some substance, we have no way of knowing. It seems clear to me that he wasn't being purposefully lazy or obnoxious. I like to keep in mind that a lot of communication problems come from language or age discrepancies. It keeps me from putting down people who can't help it and making myself feel bad.

He was obviously confused about something. Whether that was due to language, age, mental acuity or some substance, we have no way of knowing. It seems clear to me that he wasn't being purposefully lazy or obnoxious.
    It was not clear at all, in fact, all he said was Share, even after he was told by the Leader they could not share the quest, and even after a failed share, all he said was Share.

So yah. That was on purpose. because they sure didn't do it on accident.

Quote Originally Posted by NaturalHazard View Post
    Has anyone ever used share please as a joke? I have, and it also provides another service it helps you find those people who seem to have a constant pineapple or something shoved up their neither regions so you know who to squelch for the duration of the quest/raid, whatever.
    Pushing the buttons of folk ceased to be fun to me, well... before the internet existed. I'm old and cranky. "Now get off my lawn ya whippersnapper!"

And again, it is too bad that there are players that lump everyone that they don't even know into one pot like that. I certainly take note when people are idiots, but I don't compare other people to them based solely on two words.
    I'd like to point out, that I'm not the one calling folks idiots. That appears to be you. I simply choose not to play with them, that day.

My squeltch list is currently 0 peoples, same as my do not group list. Folks can get on, but it gets cleared every month or so.
    Occasionally playing on Cannith

Llyren, Kelda and some others.

I'm not surprised this guy was kicked at all. If after being told a few times that the quest can't be shared and he still come back with "Share", how is the party leader going to have any hope of passing out any in-quest instructions. I've only done forge a few times, but I seem to remember a part where you need some kind of stone to run through a tunnel type thing or you're killed. Then there's the green room thing with all the D Doors etc and plenty more which I don't remember at the moment. If the guy can't handle the simplest instruction about getting to the quest (Doesn't really matter why), then it's going to be a nightmare in the quest itself.

As for the whole "Share please" thing, for me it's like some others have pointed out already. Sometimes it doesn't bother me and other times (Generally when the quest can't be shared) the alarm bells start to ring. If the LFM is blank or doesn't look elitist in anyway, I don't really see a problem with it. Those LFMs are taking all comers and that includes people who have no clue where the quest is and might need a share to get the arrow point them there. If it's a LFM that is Elitist "BYOH, TR/Vets, know the quest or something similar" then not knowing where it is and applying is a bit silly.
    Calvet ~ Ghalnem ~ Noobforged ~ Sorgant ~ Gimpsong

All on Khyber.

Community Member

Repeating that you're a taxi when he obviously doesn't understand isn't helpful. And I don't understand about how many people the OP had to deal with. Was there a timer I didn't read about? If the Leader said "Ok, we're starting without anyone not here", the "taxi" would then have plenty of time to chat with the confused person. And why would there be no way to explain what was needed to flag?

But if you read my other posts, my objection is to the OP's entire premise that the reason people hate the words "share please" is because occasionally they have to deal with someone like this, so they condemn everyone who asks for a share.
    it seems we've comprehended the screenshot in 2 very different ways. i see 1-2 newbies getting help and the subject blindly spamming "share" without responding to any other communications.

let me re-type the screenshot to make it clearer which line is from the other newbies, which is from the subject and which is from katz, i'll also add my comprehension of the chat in italics.

katz: [raid leader] is runnin the raid. join him. i'm just taxi
    i assume this is to another newbie who needs a hand on what to do after the taxi ride
    random newbie has left party
    Subject would like to join your party
    you accept subject's request to join your party
    subject has joined your party
    katz: i'm in the sub. repair your sigil and head on down
    i assume this is to Subject who has just joined, her canned welcome message to all
    random newbie: ok
    subject: share
    standard request for a share, nothing abnormal here
    katz: i dont have it. i'm not even flagged. i'm just taxi
    explanation to Subject on why katz cant share
    katz: are you flagged?
    attempt to open a dialogue with Subject
    ignores attempt to open up communication, starting to look like brainless spam or massive language barrier issue
    random newbie: i went down, ddnt see ya
    random newbie: shared
    random newbie is flagged and tried to share quest with Subject
    random newbie: (Standard): Subject did not meet one of the requirements for this quest.
    random newbie feeds back the result of the attempted share to Subject
    katz: i'm not in the restless isles. at all.
    said to random newbie who had dived into the tunnels under the restless isles due to not knowing what the sub was
    subject: please
    nice to see the please, but completely wasted after ignoring one explanation on why a share wasnt possible, an attempt to open up communications and an actual share attempt followed by a copy+paste of the failure for feedback. its at this point i assume its a massive language barrier as opposed to a brainless spam, but its still impossible to work with as the subject has not even asked a question in their own language
    random newbie: did that
    random newbie tells Subject they have already tried to share
    you dismiss Subject from the party
    situation is seen as futile and player is kicked as they completely failed to communicate at all
    so, as far as i've read into this katz was helping newbies with questions and problems, she did try to talk to the subject about flagging mechanics but all communication with the subject was completely ignored. i've dealt with language barriers before, but never one quite like this. normally after a few attempts they will say something in their language and if i'm very lucky another party member will dive in and translate. the subject was clearly either not bothering to, or completely unable to read any of the responses they were getting, so the communication was one way and that counts as a complete communication failure. its not for want of trying on katz's part and the other newbie in party.

so, i responded to your post as you seemd to be unfairly accusing katz of not attempting to help in any way. yet i saw katz making an attempt and another newbie making an attempt too.

as for painting all players that say "share" with the same brush, i wont argue against you with that as i normally give the benefit of the doubt. but in this one case it does seem to be quite impossible to help the subject, so you either leave them in party spamming "share" until they get fed up and drop or you kick them. without any way to talk to them there isnt much else you can do

as for the OP this is indeed a good example of why sp many players don't like the whole "shr plz" thing. i can't argue with that, but i do choose to let "shr plz" people into my parties and it takes a very special kind of player for me to reach for the kick button. but then i do love to pug, good and bad and i dont expect others to be as accommodating as i am.

i hope this post makes you see the screenshot in a different light, to me its a vet being helpful and having one out of many they just couldnt help. to you its a vet being obnoxious, i hope that much i've been able to change. as for your other point on not tarring players with the same brush, i'm on your side with that one as i've already posted in this thread.

2015 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by ReaperAlexEU View Post
    it seems we've comprehended the screenshot in 2 very different ways. i see 1-2 newbies getting help and the subject blindly spamming "share" without responding to any other communications.

let me re-type the screenshot to make it clearer which line is from the other newbies, which is from the subject and which is from katz, i'll also add my comprehension of the chat in italics.

so, as far as i've read into this katz was helping newbies with questions and problems, she did try to talk to the subject about flagging mechanics but all communication with the subject was completely ignored. i've dealt with language barriers before, but never one quite like this. normally after a few attempts they will say something in their language and if i'm very lucky another party member will dive in and translate. the subject was clearly either not bothering to, or completely unable to read any of the responses they were getting, so the communication was one way and that counts as a complete communication failure. its not for want of trying on katz's part and the other newbie in party.

so, i responded to your post as you seemd to be unfairly accusing katz of not attempting to help in any way. yet i saw katz making an attempt and another newbie making an attempt too.

as for painting all players that say "share" with the same brush, i wont argue against you with that as i normally give the benefit of the doubt. but in this one case it does seem to be quite impossible to help the subject, so you either leave them in party spamming "share" until they get fed up and drop or you kick them. without any way to talk to them there isnt much else you can do

as for the OP this is indeed a good example of why sp many players don't like the whole "shr plz" thing. i can't argue with that, but i do choose to let "shr plz" people into my parties and it takes a very special kind of player for me to reach for the kick button. but then i do love to pug, good and bad and i dont expect others to be as accommodating as i am.

i hope this post makes you see the screenshot in a different light, to me its a vet being helpful and having one out of many they just couldnt help. to you its a vet being obnoxious, i hope that much i've been able to change. as for your other point on not tarring players with the same brush, i'm on your side with that one as i've already posted in this thread.
    yes, exactly. thank you! this is what happened, and what i was trying to portray.

yeah, except that IS exactly my point. people are just that petty. after all, whole guilds get blacklisted because one person fouled up and p***ed someone off. deal with one or two clueless nubs like what happened in my screenshot, and it sours someone to the whole thing. it represents someone who doesn't know/doesn't care/doesn't listen/can't communicate. it's NOT the words themselves that are objectionable... it's what they represent

but, as i've said before... i could care less if someone says 'share plz' when they join my group. it's slightly rude, but in-and-of itself not kick-worthy.

and R.O.G.U.E !
    Pointless/Frivolous/Beguiling/Justanotha Waste of Time, Katzklaw, Pickt d'Locks & etc

Community Member Alrik_Fassbauer's Avatar

Question

What does the term "taxi" mean, after all ?

And no, this is is a serious question ... I honestly don't know its meaning from within the DDO context ...
    "You are a Tiefling. And a Cleric, with the Domain of the Sun. Doesn't that contradict each other ?" "No, all my friends are playing evil. I found that so boring that I decided to be on the good side. And, besides, Sun and Fire, where is the difference, really ?"

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alrik_Fassbauer View Post
    What does the term "taxi" mean, after all ?

And no, this is is a serious question ... I honestly don't know its meaning from within the DDO context ...
    hehe, and its a good question too.

in a dungeon a high level caster can use the greater teleport spell, this will also teleport all party members in range. you often see it after a quest to quickly take everyone back to the quest giver for the reward. its also handy for the titan raid to bypass the twisting tunnels and fights which you cant do with a full raid party to get to the raid entrance. in this situation you need a raid dungeon to form in for the spell, the subterrainian is perfect for this

the word taxi is used because the caster is giving everyone a lift. it could have just as easily been the word bus instead, or even train. however taxi is the one that caught on and spread into common DDO slang.

2015 DDO Players Council

the Titan Awakes is an obnoxious-to-get-to raid, but greater teleport has TWO (not one, but two) locations in the restless isles which makes it much easier to get everyone to the raid... one to the foothold (which is where the quest giver is), and the other to the twilight forge (the entrance to the raid itself). the "taxi" is someone who waits in a convenient location and casts greater teleport on people so they can get to the raid entrance faster and more easily

and R.O.G.U.E !

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast