Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Crafting trinkets

As a non-crafter, and one not interested in the least in having a crafter, is there a reason why the lootable trinkets that are craftable are bound to character? I mean, as I understand it, they're rare. Why on earth have these BtC??? I can't even sell it to someone who wants it. So instead it gets scrapped.
    Archangels
    Pwesiela - Completionist Arcane Archer; Pia - Silver Flame Assassin; Aes - of the Blue Ajah; Insene - Deathpriest; Enaila - Aiel Bodyguard; Uduk - Dwarven Meatwall; Vitalien -Warder
    Quote Originally Posted by Victorie View Post
    Pwesiela is correct.

An excellent question.

I think OP has a suggestion that I can /sign.

Quote Originally Posted by Pwesiela View Post
    As a non-crafter, and one not interested in the least in having a crafter, is there a reason why the lootable trinkets that are craftable are bound to character? I mean, as I understand it, they're rare. Why on earth have these BtC??? I can't even sell it to someone who wants it. So instead it gets scrapped.
    Cause only other game made trinket ( shard of power) is btc too ?
    Thelanis, Playing since 2009
    S II | Favor 12 Mmaha 6015 | Reaper 43 Mmaha 115,954
    S III | Favor 22 Maha 6005
    S V | Favor 19 Maha 6267

Quote Originally Posted by maha0201 View Post
    Which was, as far as I'm aware, was never really meant for cannith crafting and is something that you have to run the shroud for (high level, in other words).

Not game breaking to have this non-bound.
    Archangels
    Pwesiela - Completionist Arcane Archer; Pia - Silver Flame Assassin; Aes - of the Blue Ajah; Insene - Deathpriest; Enaila - Aiel Bodyguard; Uduk - Dwarven Meatwall; Vitalien -Warder
    Pwesiela is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by maha0201 View Post
    If you buy the blank trinket from the DDO store it is BtA, and even after crafting onto it, it remains BtA.
    Sarkiki - Orexis - Pallikaria - Epithymia - Musouka - Empnefsi | Cannith Server

Quote Originally Posted by Musouka View Post
    If you buy the blank trinket from the DDO store it is BtA, and even after crafting onto it, it remains BtA.
    But the looted one, that has to be btc.
    Archangels
    Pwesiela is correct.

Community Member TempestAlphaOmega's Avatar

You don't need to make a crafting character to make use of the item. You can purchase the "powers" that you want to put on the trinket and apply them without your character having any crafting skill. I have seen several crafter offering to make such items for people. This is just an option available to you other than scrapping the item.

Why are they BtC? Because Turbine wants it that way. There are many things that people get that are BtC or BtA that would have value if you could trade it or put it on the AH, this is just another item that falls in that catagory. Not saying I agree or disagree that it should be one way or the other, its a decision that Turbine made and you could debate it just like you could all the other items that are that way.
    Shapshap, League of Extraordinary Ham, Sarlona and a bunch of alts that all have names begining with Sha or Sho. Of course Shapshap could be the alt and one of the others the main, it just depends on what day it is.

Quote Originally Posted by TempestAlphaOmega View Post
    Why are they BtC? Because Turbine wants it that way. There are many things that people get that are BtC or BtA that would have value if you could trade it or put it on the AH, this is just another item that falls in that catagory. Not saying I agree or disagree that it should be one way or the other, its a decision that Turbine made and you could debate it just like you could all the other items that are that way.
    Turbine has, over the last several updates, gotten on an extreme BtC/BtA kick. Every item that they can have bound, they bind. Practically every item before this was non-bound. The only reason I can think of is that they don't want F2P characters able to access items from packs they don't have, which is really quite petty. If they can afford the AH price, what's the deal?

Now, because of this disdain to give F2P an option to get this loot, VIP and Premium characters get loot with little value to them.

There's my rant. What can I say, I hate bound items.
    Archangels
    Pwesiela is correct.

Turbine has, over the last several updates, gotten on an extreme BtC/BtA kick. Every item that they can have bound, they bind. Practically every item before this was non-bound. The only reason I can think of is that they don't want F2P characters able to access items from packs they don't have, which is really quite petty. If they can afford the AH price, what's the deal?

Now, because of this disdain to give F2P an option to get this loot, VIP and Premium characters get loot with little value to them.

There's my rant. What can I say, I hate bound items.
    +1 i hate all bound equip...

Let us bind it only if we dont want to ever sell it or give us the option to unbind.
    Outatime Exodus-Cradle of Life:Thelanis
    This character is dedicated to a once great game destroyed by a greedy corperation.. Goodbye Star Wars Galaxays!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWu8NOa69vM

Community Member

you CAN actually! I just tested 2 days ago, it nothing's changed. Simply pass on your BTA shard to the toon. It will be appear to be lv1 crafting required.

Quote Originally Posted by rr1943 View Post
    you CAN actually! I just tested 2 days ago, it nothing's changed. Simply pass on your BTA shard to the toon. It will be appear to be lv1 crafting required.
    You're assuming I have a character that can craft those shards. I don't. I find crafting to be a horrible waste of time.
    Archangels
    Pwesiela is correct.

Community Member TempestAlphaOmega's Avatar

You're assuming I have a character that can craft those shards. I don't. I find crafting to be a horrible waste of time.
    You don't have to craft, just find a crafter selling/bartering shards. I have seen several posts and in game shouts that said they would make the shards if you provided the mats which you get through regular adventuring, no up cost at all.

Many people who are leveling crafters will do this just so they get the crafting XP.
    Shapshap, League of Extraordinary Ham, Sarlona and a bunch of alts that all have names begining with Sha or Sho. Of course Shapshap could be the alt and one of the others the main, it just depends on what day it is.

2015 DDO Players Council InsanityIsYourFriend's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TempestAlphaOmega View Post
    You don't have to craft, just find a crafter selling/bartering shards. I have seen several posts and in game shouts that said they would make the shards if you provided the mats which you get through regular adventuring, no up cost at all.

Many people who are leveling crafters will do this just so they get the crafting XP.
    +1 I do this on my crafter all the time normally for guildies but hey im not gonna run around advertising till break o dawn when i have lvling to do

Quote Originally Posted by Musouka View Post
    and this is what grinds my gears, in regards to this item on the 'free' market.

Once again pay to play is the winner here.
    Leader - Ωmega Syndicate [L41] guild of Khyber|Orien - www.os.rumbaar.net
    Khyber - Eldraine - Monk | Eldaline - Favored Soul | Eldnuker - Sorcerer
    █████ - Eldalorne - Wizard | Elarawr - Fighter | Eldrainge - Ranger/Rogue

Community Member

Well, not to tweak anyone's nerves, but, you play for free but it isn't free for Turbine to let you play. This is a game to you, but it's a business for Turbine. The objective is to make an income. If you greedy little whiners got the entire game content for free, why would you ever be VIP? The free to Play concept is that you get interested and eventually pay to play for full content. Think of the F2P as an extended trial. If you want to keep playing, Turbine must pay the bills. And the bills are paid by the VIPs and the Premiums who continually buy points. If you don't pay and you don't buy points continually, don't complain.

Now with that in mind, I agree that too many items get tagged as BTC. Raid loot, specialty crafted items (green steel, boots of anchoring, etc) makes sense. BTA makes much more sense, esspecially for low to mid level items. If they change the Crystal Cove items to BTC with the next deployment, they are going to ruin the event. It's bad enough that the Mabar items are BTC.

Word has it that the idea of the Mabar and Crystal Cove items being BTC is that you can upgrade them to a higher level later. That's a great idea if the event was year round, but how many people only level up 4 levels every 6 months? And I know you can raise it by 4 level increments each time, but if you make 10 levels, the items are useless for anywhere from 6 to 10 levels before the event comes back. And I can TR twice in a 6 month period without even grinding it. Thus the idea of a BTC even item sucks but a BTA event item makes more sense.

Why on earth have these BtC??? I can't even sell it to someone who wants it. So instead it gets scrapped.
    You answered your own question. To help drive trinket sales in the store.

I see no problem with them being unbound initially, then becomming BTC when crafted, like any other crafted item. Or even bound on equip. The OP is right; they're fairly rare drops any I don't really think that unbinding them would really destroy the demand for store bought ones. After all, anyone who runs Shroud can craft one fairly easily. What it would do is give players a choice of which character will use it and allow players who don't craft to get something in trade for a fairly popular rare drop.

I agree with the op. During the ice games I got too many crafting shards to count. Would've been nice to pass them on to other toons in the future or list them up at the ah rather than just dropping them from my back pack.

Just turn in your event coins spread over all your toons so that each toon gets a trinket.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravoc-DDO View Post
    Just turn in your event coins spread over all your toons so that each toon gets a trinket.
    Yep, exactly. I needed to turn in a bunch of coins anyway, so I just had each alt turn coins in until they pulled their first trinket, then switched to the next alt. All four got a trinket without much effort.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast