Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Bogenbroom View Post
    Wait... what... vendor hirelings and store hirelings have different weights in dungeon scaling? My initial reaction is "ummmm, boooo!" My secondary reaction is to ask "why?"
    A "standard" hireling you will only use 1 - 3 max (the max being yourself and 2 friends who each use 1) because you can't use more than one at once per person. The scaling is set to player > standard > gold. So 3 players + 3 standard hirelings is still going to be less than 6 players. Since you're able to use more than one at once, but they are just Hirelings still, the gold seal ones are less to reduce the likelyhood of you over-scaling yourself by accident. The secondary, and more obvious, reason is to make the Store ones a little more valuable.

Ok enough derailing...

Founder
    2015 DDO Players Council

Lorien and I are not at liberty to tell how we know your secret as it is written in guild bylaws to not give away sources.

Now.... umm.... how about that forum title. if you don't like resident gnome, how about Whimsical Gnome or Curious Gnome. oh hell i'd settle for true kender.
    The Great Gnome Conspiracy was here!

Oops...

Hi Welcome

Proud member of DWAT - Xorian forged, quenched in the blood of butterflies
    Arnn, Duana, Gultyrr, Mahd Bardigan, Ahliriana, Arnnette, Conch Fritter, Jwuana, Thayla, Margaritte da Ville
    God is good, beer is great and women are crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Drum69 View Post
    Plus, I never knew that monsters scale with the amount of hirelings, you live and learn
    Scales most at normal, and less with hirelings than real party members, a little at hard and none at elite. Better to think that it scales down, not up, if you are used to how quests worked before scaling.

I ran this with hirelings on hard (i think), a bit over level, but it was funny that the hirelings killed the end boss (they were on active) while i was killing the elementals. I didn't even kill three groups before they took him down.

Quote Originally Posted by Tolero View Post
    Store Hirelings don't weight as heavily in scaling as players or vendor hirelings. I play pretty much expressly with them these days, and while sometimes it is advantageous to use 1 hireling + yourself to keep scaling low, against certain challenges the ratio of scaling vs damage output/capabilities of the gold seal hireling works out to make it worth your while. It's very situational.
    I didn't get into the detail as I didn't have any reference to say how beneficial they are compared to the scaling / trying to control them. Trying to control wandering henchmen is like trying to babysit... and a lot of people on here don't like to babysit (the Sharn Syndicate quest is a good, quick test).

Also, tidbits about the henchmen and scaling need to go into the Hireling FAQ (for all to see and gasp at).

And yeah, I used to be your gold standard hireling until you found better.
    Oh, that's easy. I didn't farm them. I just cheated. -Meghan
    Quote Originally Posted by 404error View Post
    lol, I didnt give it a QA pass.

Community Member

OP, don't feel too bad I had a similar exp. on the same quest just yesterday. I went in one level higher than the quest solo. Being a very poor cleric in every sense of the word I knew it was going to take hours. Well two hours later I'm thinking that was kinda easy, then I look up and all I need to do is kill the boss turn in some crates and shut down an optional portal sweet! Optionals first. Run all the back and hand in crates, run all the way back to optional portal. HOLY COW! I looked like a pin cusion from all the skelletal archers. Ahh, haste clickie, heal, heal, heal, haste clickie. Wow that was close. On to the main boss. Freedom of movemnet, fire resists, kill the big rock, haste, down goes the Boss. Yay! Run all the way back to the outpost and start talking to some dork about a gate, turn around and enjoy the view. Ouch where did that come from. Oh, crudd more stuff. Run! out of sp and pots and clickies. Find a rest shrine. Oh well I beat the boss I just need to find the commander. Hmm where is he. More running, oh I think he was the first guy I talked to. More runnning, right out of the instance! 7k xp down the toilet.

Quote Originally Posted by Kintro View Post
    Does anyone else feel really bad for the OP and want to know his server so they can help him with a quick Stormcleave ?
    Actually yes LOL.
    Hands you a Cupcake One of Many of the O'Rum Ferretus's

Quote Originally Posted by Kintro View Post
    Does anyone else feel really bad for the OP and want to know his server so they can help him with a quick Stormcleave ?

Nope.

But then again I'm not a nice person.
    To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!
    Go for the eyes Boo!

Quote Originally Posted by Drum69 View Post
    I'm glad I can laugh about this now.

Thank you all for your comments, advice and pictures, as one poster put it. Doh!

On the plus side I did get to keep some reasonable loot, so it wasn't a total loss.
    Sure wish I'd explored a bit more though! I never thought of going back to the amphitheatre.

Plus, I never knew that monsters scale with the amount of hirelings, you live and learn

Yours,

Drum

I still feel bad for you. I do hope you have had a chance to go back in and complete the quest.

Quote Originally Posted by KoboldKiller View Post
    Nope.

But then again I'm not a nice person.
    Pfft. You are too.

Founder
    2015 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    Pfft. You are too.
    no really, he really isn't.
    The Great Gnome Conspiracy was here!

Community Member Lorien_the_First_One's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lerincho View Post
    no really, he really isn't.
    He is, but only to pretty girls named after desserts

Quote Originally Posted by Lorien_the_First_One View Post
    He is, but only to pretty girls named after desserts

Not true, I'm nice to pretty girls named after Countries too.

Oh wait I'm not nice and I will give one prime example.

I got Ler's favorite thread closed.
    To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!
    Go for the eyes Boo!

Community Member Lorien_the_First_One's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KoboldKiller View Post
    Not true, I'm nice to pretty girls named after Countries too.

Oh wait I'm not nice and I will give one prime example.

I got Ler's favorite thread closed.
    Some of those pictures weren't very nice lol

Paying attention For The Win...
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

Quote Originally Posted by Lorien_the_First_One View Post
    Some of those pictures weren't very nice lol

I didn't think they were THAT bad.
    Go for the eyes Boo!

Quote Originally Posted by Zippo View Post
    Well once he realizes the temporarily boneheaded thing he just did he probably wont feel much better now. Would you?
    Which is the reason I said it. Have a nice day.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123