Default Twilight Forge Green Room Puzzle

You ALL know the one I'm talking about. I get requests for this guide regularly and finally got a chance to throw it together. This has been repeated in the Aerenal forum so if you've already read that one, there is no new information here.

Here's my guide. This may not be the BEST method, but it's tried and true. I follow this process every time and have not had any issues to date. I use DD to speed the process up and free up resources to clear rooms faster. If you're unsure or this is your first time trying the puzzle, make sure you don't DD people out of rooms until the whole puzzle is set. If someone were to accidentally DD too soon, you'll have to start the entire quest over again and would likely make 11 other people a bit upset.

This is the numbering system I'll use through the process. I'll denote the top floor a A and the level below it B.
    Code:
       __End__
     /        \
    /          \
    5           6
    \           / 
     \         /
      3       4
     /         \
    /           \
    1            2
    \           /
     \_________/
        Start
    The Process

In all but the first room you will need to eliminate 2 WF guarding each room before turning any tiles in the room. Upon closing the doors in the rooms the WF will activate. Kill them before setting the tiles, leaving people in rooms, or DDing. This step is implied from now on.

Steps
    1. Upon Entering - Kill the WF on the first platform and send one down to the first room.
    2. B.1 - Enter room and turn tiles so the power (lighted part of the puzzle) goes up out of the room. There are no guards here. Leave the room and go back up stairs.
    3. A.1 - Leave one person in the room and the rest exit. Send the power up out of the room. This will close the door. The person in the closed room will be out at the next step.
    4. A.2 - Light up both symbols and let the person in A.1 out. Leave one person in the room, everyone else exits. Now the person in the room changes the middle tile so the symbol on the right is lit up and the power goes down out of the room. If done properly their door will be closed and the room below it will have an open door. This person will be let out in the next step.
    5. B.2 - Leave one person in. They send the power towards the left (and out of the room) and to the symbol. This will close their door and open the door for the person in A.2. The person in B.2 will not need to change any other tiles and can DD out after the tiles are set.
    6. B.4 - Move the tile directly above the circle to continue the power flow up out of the room when it re-enters below. (it should be one turn to fit with the other tiles IIRC). Now leave person one in and turn the tile on the right of the circle so the power exits the room on the bottom (it should be 3 turns IIRC). This person can DD out.
    7. B.3 - Leave one person in and send the power through the bottom symbol and back out of the bottom of the room. Also, turn the T shaped tile below the top symbol so the power coming in from the right (this will be several steps later) will light up. This person will remained stuck for several more steps.
      SIDE NOTE: If you are running with 9 or less people and do not plan on using the blue hallway from the green side, do not proceed. You can DD the person in B.3 out and continue to the fight in room A.3.
    8. A.4 - Leave one person in this room and send the rest over towards A.6. Once everyone is across the bridge between the middle and end platform have the person in A.4 turn the elbow tile so the power exits on the right.
    9. A.6 - Leave one in and send the power down.
    10. B.6 - Turn the tile so the power goes down and the door is open. This room does not require someone to stay in.
    11. B.5 - Leave one person in. This person should send the power to the left out of the room and up out of the room. This person will need to DD to exit.
    12. B.3 - This person should have power coming in from the right of the room. They can turn the elbow piece below the circle so it lights the circle and they can now exit.
    13. A.5 - Put one person in this room and turn the tile so both symbols are lit. This will open the door to the end room (in the middle on the last platform, exactly opposite from where you entered).
    14. End Room - Turn the one tile that is preventing the power from reaching that symbol and exit.
    15. A.4 - This person can now exit their room.
    16. A.6 - This person can now exit their room.
    17. A.5 - Turn the tile so your door is open and the power exits to the right. This person can now exit their room.

At this point, the bride to A.3 should be down, everyone should be out of rooms, and last but as equally important... the blue barrier is down to meet up with the Purple/Blue group.

This is meant to be used in conjunction with my Twilight Forge guide.

Since that thread is closed, if you have any questions PM me in game, on the forums, or post here. Good luck and happy hunting!

Ooops... wrong forum.

KK or GC can you help a brother out and move this to the strategy forum.

My bad.

Great job JDwoods!
    [ Fernia / Ghallanda ]
    -- Role of the Combat Cleric : We fight for our party's survival --

TY

I'd really like to have someone who hasn't seen me do this (i.e. guys I DON'T play with) try this out and give me feedback. If there's something I need to clarify, I'd like to do that and make this helpful for all.

Community Member

Hello JD,

Since you wanted some feedback, I will report my honest experiences using your method. Tonight was the first time I attempted to lead a Titan raid myself, although I have completed the raid about four times. I have not really mastered the Green puzzle room and sought to your post for guidance.

So first of all, I really liked how you laid out the rooms and it was easy to follow. My group on the Green side was myself (a cleric), four melee and a rogue with dimension door scrolls. Unfortunately we got to a point where we couldn't get back into a room, and I think the reason was because I told the rogue to dimension door out too early. I think that the problem was room B2. In step #5, you note to dimension door out after the tiles were set - but when is that exactly? I think that maybe we didn't send the power to the north from that room correctly. I'm still not 100% sure to be honest.

But anyway, I just wanted to mention that I liked the guide and I think we just got hung up on step #5. Note that we were able to get to the Yellow/Blue crystal room and kill the mindflayers, but that was as far as we got. We just couldn't get room A4 open. And the worst part was that almost everyone left the group after that failure, confirming what you mentioned at the top, heh.

So if you have any tips for what happened to my group, I would love to hear them. I would especially like a little more elaboration on step #5 if you could. Thank for putting this guide together and enabling people like me to understand it.

One other quick question: is the puzzle possible to complete without dimension door? Or does there absolutely have to be someone who can cast the spell/use a scroll in the group? Thanks again.

Step 5. The power is coming down from A2 down into the room (B2). The person in this room needs to arrange the tiles so that the power that comes down goes to the left into room B4 and so the symbol is lit up. If you've done this correctly B4 should be open and A2 should be open. If you can't get into either room, then you need to shuffle things in B2 around.

From the sounds of it, you didn't arrange B4 correctly. In order to make this room work you have to arrange the tiles so that the power goes down to B3 and then goes up to A4 after you've done step B3. Next time, leave someone in B4 before until A4 is open and then DD.

PM me again if that isn't clear enough.

You can do the puzzle room without the use of DD, but you lose the ability to use them for the fight and typically end up with 3 or 4 people in rooms by the time you complete the puzzle. The reason we use the DD option is because once you know the routine there isn't much risk. I get asked this question a lot actually. Don't be afraid to leave people in the room and develop your own method, this is just what we've found to be the most effective.

Community Member

Ah ha! Thank you JD, that is exactly the level of detail that I was looking for. I feel much more confident now and will give it another go when I have the time.

You get a bump...

And you helped me lead a pug through the quest...

Thx!

Course we fizzled horribly at the big metal dude, but I got what I wanted which was a lesson in how to do the twilight forge!
    /TELL Tackilack ~ Tackalack ~ Taq ~ Heartattack ~ Scrooge

You know, if you're ever in doubt, several of the rooms routinely re-open later. If you don't know how to set them for certain, leave somebody in - and on your naming system, I think we're talking about B2 in particular.

I'm also nearly certain that all rooms can be re-opened if you throw the right runes.
    Ghallanda ReRolled Naxy-Transil-Kottol-Nax-Riorsil-Riorik-Kaol

Quote Originally Posted by Riorik View Post
    I'm also nearly certain that all rooms can be re-opened if you throw the right runes.
    Yea it is not possible to mess up the puzzle with a bad demension door.

Way back when the quest first came out I had a full group in there people were doing everything wrong and DD'ing every part. We had no idea how to do it so we just trial and error'd (more error then trial) over and over. We severely messed it up and I was certain it wasn't possible to fix, the worst room, B4 was set all wrong and closed..
    But somehow several hours later we figured it out and got it all reset and working right.

I think in some cases you'll need to jump where bridges didnt fall correctly to fix stuff, but never get tottaly screwed where the quest is uncompletable.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Yea it is not possible to mess up the puzzle with a bad demension door.

Way back when the quest first came out I had a full group in there people were doing everything wrong and DD'ing every part. We had no idea how to do it so we just trial and error'd (more error then trial) over and over. We severely messed it up and I was certain it wasn't possible to fix, the worst room, B4 was set all wrong and closed..
    But somehow several hours later we figured it out and got it all reset and working right.

I think in some cases you'll need to jump where bridges didnt fall correctly to fix stuff, but never get tottaly screwed where the quest is uncompletable.
    Not true!

I did it just last night. In A5, you can turn the T to send power to the right (A7, or End Room) BEFORE sending power to the two sigils to lower A7/End Room's bridge. That will make the door close. If you DDoor out of A5 before getting into the End Room to pull the lever and straighten the puzzle tile, you're hosed.

*studying several Green Puzzle walkthroughs extensively*

I'm not sure I like these diagrams from the DDO Wiki. I think I may draft my own.

Quote Originally Posted by Cauthey View Post
    I'm not sure I like these diagrams from the DDO Wiki. I think I may draft my own.
    There! The image host stinks. I'll see if I can find a better one:

This is a work in progress - more to come!

Now that gets a nice shiney +1!

That's a pretty nice diagram. I would just suggest marking the important tile in position 4, downstairs, since that's the one that is most often messed up on.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarisa View Post
    That's a pretty nice diagram. I would just suggest marking the important tile in position 4, downstairs, since that's the one that is most often messed up on.
    The one I botched was position 5. You can close the doors on this one and DDoor out by mistake, even though the door never needs to be closed for this one. I'll ultimately note each tile that needs changing in each room, and alert for ddoor/pet room lockout hazards.

The raw is an excel spreadsheet. I plan on trying to detail the bridges and the sigils, too, and have some manner of explanation for the positions that have to be moved to lower a bridge, and then moved again to have power going out the right way.

Work in progress! More to come!

Still in progress. There's more details I want to add, including a sort of walkthrough key.