Default ToEE Heroic elemental augments—as bad as I think?

These do not seem to be worth it. Rough in-my-head calc makes them come up worse than an ML 8 3d6 elemental augment on a 15-20/3 weapon which I will not have anyway at level 8.

What gives with this? How come they do not at least do elemental damage on every hit? These are tricky to find, shouldn’t they be waaay better? And forget the Legendary versions.

Am I miscalculating?
    Wiki dashboard with some useful stealthplay links. LONG LIVE STEALTH!
    Proud Knight of the Silver Legion, Cannith: Saekee (main) and some others typically parked at some level to help guildies and other players

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Saekee View Post
    These do not seem to be worth it. Rough in-my-head calc makes them come up worse than an ML 8 3d6 elemental augment on a 15-20/3 weapon which I will not have anyway at level 8.
    Using your example of a 15-20 crit range item with a x3 multiplier, a Ruby of Acid Blast would do an average of 11 acid damage 30% of the time. (I'm assuming it's rolling 2d10 behind the scenes, mind you). A Ruby of Acid, on the other hand, is doing an average of 10 damage 100% of the time.

In addition, 5% of the time a Ruby of Acid Blast confirms its crit, it triggers its second damage ability for an additional average of 14 extra damage. (Bringing the average damage up to 25)(I'm assuming it's rolling 4d6 behind the scenes, mind you.)

So 28.75% of the time a Ruby of Acid Blast is doing an average of 11 damage, 1.25% of the time it's doing an average of 25 damage, and 70% of the time it's doing nothing. While a regular Ruby of Acid is doing an average of 10 damage every time you hit.

I'm not especially qualified to say if that's "worse", but my kneejerk reaction is "yes, that's worse".

These are tricky to find, shouldn’t they be waaay better?
    No.

Firstly they're more for flavor than function. To quote Steestar "We've added some of the new Augments to help bring some of that flavor to your existing weapons."

And secondly, some players won't feel like they need damage augments from levels 8 to 12. And some players are going to value the mysterious remnants too high to warrant spending on a ruby at that level. (Not to mention the RNG of trying to use a collectable vender for the specific damage type you want.)

So there are some players who won't go out of their way to get a ml8 damage augment, who might end up with one of the Heroic ToEE augments by virtue of playing the game. That's not especially tricky, so there's not really any reason it should be "way better".

(That said, if SSG did want to rework ToEE augments I'm not opposed.)
    Last edited by KraftLorance; 04-16-2023 at 04:52 AM. Reason: 15-20 is 30%, not 25%
    Quote Originally Posted by KraftLorance View Post
    There should be something along the lines of "Taking the best mechanics and lore of D&D 4th and 5th editions, and seamlessly weaving them into the unparalleled character customization and depth of play from D&D 3.5 to form a handcrafted homebrew experience that's survived and enticed for 16 years"

What gives with this? How come they do not at least do elemental damage on every hit? These are tricky to find, shouldn’t they be waaay better? And forget the Legendary versions.

Am I miscalculating?
    You know, sometimes asking designers to do math on a game they don't play is asking too much.

Many of them are bugged so be super careful. The electricity spellpower+implement for example is definatelly bugged.
    Bought my first dungeon master's guide in 1992. My favourite part of ddo is coffee and slayers

Quote Originally Posted by kmoustakas View Post
    You know, sometimes asking designers to do math on a game they don't play is asking too much.
    Sad but true.

Many of them are bugged so be super careful. The electricity spellpower+implement for example is definatelly bugged.
    All spellpowers augments currently (after U.56) bugged and don't provide implement bonuses, include all ToEE augments directly saying they must do it.
    English not my native language. What's your excuse?

Quote Originally Posted by KraftLorance View Post
    Using your example of a 15-20 crit range ...
    good answer. So yeah, they really underperform. I use the snowpeaks augment as much as possible in lower heroics and its elemental damage seems superior at ML4 on top of the freeze effect.

I think flavor-wise they can do a lot better. I have some legacy ML 7 ToEE weapons and the AoE at that level range is a lot of fun.
    Proud Knight of the Silver Legion, Cannith: Saekee (main) and some others typically parked at some level to help guildies and other players

6. 04-15-2023, 02:00 PM

I use the snowpeaks augment as much as possible in lower heroics and its elemental damage seems superior at ML4 on top of the freeze effect.
    o https://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Ruby_of_the_Snowpeaks

I have some legacy ML 7 ToEE weapons and the AoE at that level range is a lot of fun.
    Check Blade of the Clouds, it's very fun too...

Community Member

The augments should have been the elemental blast plus the aoe proc on a 20. It wouldn't be top tier single target damage but it would add more AoE for builds that need it during leveling; all builds that are not casters would appreciate that. The dev time spent on these augments just to make them strictly inferior to other augments was a missed opportunity for something fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Fisto_Mk_I View Post
    Check Blade of the Clouds, it's very fun too...
    I have one but the proc rate is waaaay worse than the legacy ToEE weapons I have. The ToEE ones proc very often, maybe 20%? Blade of the Clouds seems to be only about 3%ish.

I have one but the proc rate is waaaay worse than the legacy ToEE weapons I have. The ToEE ones proc very often, maybe 20%? Blade of the Clouds seems to be only about 3%ish.
    Both have exactly same proc rate - 5% at Vorpal. Or 10% with Perfect Single Weapon Fighting.