Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Gathering For Buffs™ Gen Con 2019 (Aug 1-4)

Little late getting this posted this year. RL stuff, and stuff. <Insert random excuse>

Gen Con badges went on sale a few weeks ago, and housing opened this past weekend. https://www.gencon.com/

For me, personally, they've priced themselves out of my 'casual' market. Luckily, there are still things to do around the Con without a badge.

Then, of course, there's the Friday night Gathering for Buffs™!

Time: Always Friday evening at 8 PM'ish, and going til they close up shop. Always come 'n go as you please so it can fit in with any other con stuff you have scheduled.

Place: [TBD. Tentatively at the Social on McCrea.]

Will update as the year gets on.

--------

edit:

Looking back over the threads for previous years, the first year I took over posting these was '09.
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...3448-GenCon-09
    Back when a 4-day badge cost the same as a 1-day now. Sadlol.
    Last edited by cdbd3rd; 01-30-2019 at 04:02 PM.
    CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    Collectibles

My social anxiety is through the roof, but I'll be stopping by yet again this year...
    "Denn Die Toten Reiten Schnell"
    "For The Dead Travel Fast"

Systems Designer

I'll likely be there this time
    100% radical, enthusiasm enthusiast.

"Have you tried preproccing feat directory?"

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    I'll likely be there this time
    Sweet!

And your imbibe of choice?

----------

Quote Originally Posted by FlimsyFirewood View Post
    ... I don't drink beer, but I'll be at GenCon for the first time this year, so you can curse at me in person if you're attending.
    Flimsy? You saving a spot for Friday night?
    Last edited by cdbd3rd; 05-28-2019 at 04:49 PM.
    Collectibles

Yeah, I got a little slack in my updating this thread this year. RL has had issues (doesn't it always) and I was already a little jaded about Gen Con folks and their crazy price inflations.

But the Gathering is the Gathering. It shall endure.
    Collectibles

Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by cdbd3rd View Post
    Yeah, I got a little slack in my updating this thread this year. RL has had issues (doesn't it always) and I was already a little jaded about Gen Con folks and their crazy price inflations.

But the Gathering is the Gathering. It shall endure.
    Origins is a better and cheaper con but I understand tradition even better would be Gary Con but it is a bit small

Beware the Sleepeater

Community Manager

I have some fun news to pass along: I will be in the Gen Con area Friday and Saturday to host (hopefully, assuming I can get a space now that Social is closed) a meetup on Friday per usual, and will be around at the convention on Saturday for any vlogs, press, sites, podcasts, streams, etc who would like to talk to us. Us being at least me, and probably some others.

Due to the desire to be cost-conscious I am looking for a relatively inexpensive place for us to go now that Social is out. Anyone got some ideas? I have a few leads, but we'll see if any of them pan out.
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter YouTube
    Join us on Twitch!
    Hello from Standing Stone Games! Facebook Twitter
    For Support: https://help.standingstonegames.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    .... now that Social is closed....
    That's a bummer.
    Collectibles

Community Member Alrik_Fassbauer's Avatar

I always recommend Youth Hostels, but I'm not sure they'd allow older people to use them.
    Plus, they are often loud during peak times as well.
    "You are a Tiefling. And a Cleric, with the Domain of the Sun. Doesn't that contradict each other ?" "No, all my friends are playing evil. I found that so boring that I decided to be on the good side. And, besides, Sun and Fire, where is the difference, really ?"

Community Manager

That's a bummer.
    It is indeed! That place was perfect for our needs. Hopefully whatever happened they landed on their feet.

Worst case scenario we will do it old-school, but that's probably not necessary. As soon as I get something confirmed, I'll let people know. Regardless, typical time and date: Friday, 7-8pmish until about 10ish plus it keeps going sometimes.
    Join us on Twitch!

Ah yes... it's time once again for my annual I Regret I Cannot Go To GenCon sulking to commence.

Have fun, everyone who is attending!
    Exit, pursued by a bear. ~ William Shakespeare (stage direction from The Winter's Tale)

Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    Ah yes... it's time once again for my annual I Regret I Cannot Go To GenCon sulking to commence.

Have fun, everyone who is attending!
    I'd like to go to Gen Con someday but as I'm 53 years old, time is running out. I don't want to be that "60 year-old guy" playing games with a bunch of 20-somethings and 30-somethings like I used to when I was their age.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aelonwy View Post
    The release notes themselves are essentially the same as was seen on Lamannia most recently.
    This^, in so many words, is how you say time and feedback on Lamannia are wasted.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkat View Post
    I'd like to go to Gen Con someday but as I'm 53 years old, time is running out. I don't want to be that "60 year-old guy" playing games with a bunch of 20-somethings and 30-somethings like I used to when I was their age.
    I'm just about in the same boat. My only issue is that I've got a bushel of health issues that make travel complicated. Travel gets really limiting when you can't fly or sit stationary for long periods of time.
    Exit, pursued by a bear. ~ William Shakespeare (stage direction from The Winter's Tale)

While there ARE a bunch of those younger whippersnappers running around, there are a bunch of us old-schoolers still hanging on as well.

I try thinking of it as being that old scarred up barkeep - he made it to be that old for a reason, and the young'uns best remember that.
    Collectibles

I'm just about in the same boat. My only issue is that I've got a bushel of health issues that make travel complicated. Travel gets really limiting when you can't fly or sit stationary for long periods of time.
    While there ARE a bunch of those younger whippersnappers running around, there are a bunch of us old-schoolers still hanging on as well.

I try thinking of it as being that old scarred up barkeep - he made it to be that old for a reason, and the young'uns best remember that.
    Would LOVE to hang out with you two "older" guys. Pretty sure we could talk about many of the same things (other than gaming stuff, obviously) that them young'uns won't have a clue about.

Maybe someday.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aelonwy View Post
    The release notes themselves are essentially the same as was seen on Lamannia most recently.
    This^, in so many words, is how you say time and feedback on Lamannia are wasted.

Maybe someday.
    Someday.

Community Manager

Trust me, having been to many Gen Cons, the entirety of the age spectrum is well represented.

I'm looking at a few serious options for a location, so hopefully I'll have news within a week or two. It is always unfortunate that these meetups are 21+, but I have yet to find a great place at a great price that also allows underage on a Friday night in downtown Indianapolis and is willing to host us and hasn't already been taken. Per usual, however, IF YOU HAVE KIDS or are one: Please let me know! We're always willing to find ya somewhere and say hello.
    Join us on Twitch!

Would LOVE to hang out with you two "older" guys. Pretty sure we could talk about many of the same things (other than gaming stuff, obviously) that them young'uns won't have a clue about.

Maybe someday.
    Someday.

Yep yep

Collectibles

Community Member Alrik_Fassbauer's Avatar

I just wish the team would show up in Germany - or in Europe anyway. - one day.
    Unfortunately the RPC is no more ... Been replaced by some new comic con ...
    "You are a Tiefling. And a Cleric, with the Domain of the Sun. Doesn't that contradict each other ?" "No, all my friends are playing evil. I found that so boring that I decided to be on the good side. And, besides, Sun and Fire, where is the difference, really ?"

The Eternal Rapscallion Haphazarduk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alrik_Fassbauer View Post
    I just wish the team would show up in Germany - or in Europe anyway. - one day.
    Unfortunately the RPC is no more ... Been replaced by some new comic con ...
    Dragonmeet in London is growing in size every year but its a long way to come for most. Its good fun though.

Cheers

Hap

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast