Default Twinkle-toes the HORC “Monster”

I’m not a big fan of weapon finesse, but had a truly crazy thought the other day. (I mean really nuts, I think I’ve lost it) Why not take advantage of the HORC’s strength by NOT dumping points into it at build time, and saving the points for better dexterity. The HORC and Fighter combinations allow for extra strength boosts with enhancements combined with the Orcish Power Attack should provide enough DPS, while allowing him to have a really good AC. I’m LMAO so much while I write this….just the picture of a big HORC wielding a little rapier or pick. Perhaps someone already thought of this, I should have checked, but nope I didn’t. If someone already thought of this please link, and forgive me for replication.

Comments are truly welcome.

Maybe someone more brainier than me can calculate the dps and ac, adding the proper gear.

So here it goes, I give you…wait I have to stop laughing first..OK

Twinkle-toes the HORC “Monster”
    Level 20 Lawful Neutral Half-Orc Male
    (12 Fighter / 2 Monk / 6 Ranger)
    Hit Points: 336
    Spell Points: 100

BAB: 19/19/24/29/29
    Fortitude: 19
    Reflex: 22
    Will: 11

Base Stats (32 Point)
    Str. 14
    Dex. 18
    Con. 14
    Int. 8
    Wis. 12
    Cha. 6

End Stats (using +2 tome’s)
    Str. 22 (1 level up at 20 to round out)
    Dex. 26 (4 level ups)
    Con. 16
    Int. 10
    Wis. 15
    Cha. 8

1 Monk: Dodge, Power Attack
    2 Monk: Weapon Finesse
    3 Ranger: Favored Enemy: Undead, Mobility
    4 Ranger:
    5 Ranger:
    6 Ranger: Spring Attack
    7 Ranger: Favored Enemy: Evil Outsider
    8 Ranger:
    9 Fighter: Toughness, Weapon Focus: Piercing
    10 Fighter: Improved Critical: Piercing
    11 Fighter:
    12 Fighter: GTWF, OTWF
    13 Fighter:
    14 Fighter: Weapon Spec. Piercing
    15 Fighter: Lighting Reflexes
    16 Fighter: Greater Weapon Focus: Piercing
    17 Fighter:
    18 Fighter: Quick Draw, Stunning Blow
    19 Fighter:
    20 Fighter: Greater Weapon Spec. Piercing

Fighter Attack Boost I, II
    Fighter Haste Boost I, II, III, IV
    Ranger Sprint Boost I
    Kensei Rapier Mastery I, II
    Fighter Critical Accuracy I, II
    Fighter Kensei I, II
    Fighter Rapier Specialization I
    Fighter Flanking Mastery I
    Orcish Power Attack I, II, III
    Orcish Strength I, II
    Way of the Faithful Hound I
    Racial Toughness I, II
    Ranger Favored Damage I, II
    Ranger Favored Defense I
    Ranger Favored Resistance I
    Ranger Tempest I
    Ranger Energy of the Wild I
    Ranger Dexterity I, II
    Fighter Strength I, II, III
    Monk Wisdom I
    Fighter Toughness I, II, III

18 starting DEX? Explain please.

Default Weapon Finesse

He's a Weapon Finesse build:

"This feat allows the character to apply their dexterity modifier to hit instead of the strength modifier when making melee attacks with light weapons and rapiers."

Which is why it's so funny, and why using power attack early on is key.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by grodon9999 View Post
    18 starting DEX? Explain please.
    Feat list:

2 Monk: Weapon Finesse

Should explain it all

Community Member

so many things wrong that i dont know where to begin, so ill just end it. BAD

Default Bad Idea

LOL, I thought so. I didn't roll him up, but hey I thought I'd give it a shot.

If there were any way to actually have a huge Dex at end game then I'd be a huge fan of dex builds... but even focusing on Dex you end up with a higher strength due to the buffs out there for Strength. So when the strength passes dex on your dex focused character you just ask yourself... why bother?
    "Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
    - Douglas Adams -

Community Member

Smile

Oh do roll him up, nothing like seeing a half-orc beating stuff up with toothpicks.

What I'd do to change the build (if anyone's crazy enough to go for this) would be to drop dex by 1, and increase str by 2, and then put every level up into dex. This would become a net gain of 1 str at level 20 just from thin air. And it will also give you a little more oophm at the lower levels.

Other than that...store up on damage increasing buffs and let the rapiers' insane crit range do the job. Who knows, it might just work, if a bit silly.

Note: It will probably still be inferior to the same kinda build (dual rapiers) with str instead of dex, but atleast you might get a decent reflex save for once and the AC might be a bit higher at low-mid levels, just before it stops to matter.

Gnorbert - I agree, also the fact that the damage calculation still comes from Strength and whatever you can move from attack to damage via power attack. That's kinda why I thought of HORC for this, between the fighter stength and Orc strength enhancements and Orc Power attack, I thought maybe.....

I've tried weapon finesse builds before and have been disappointed. While I can hit a monster with ease, there's only a little damage.
    Last edited by Madduck59; 07-22-2011 at 01:52 PM.

OsOscarius - LOL, I might roll him up, and I like your suggestion, dropping dex by 1 and moving it to strength.

Community Member

I don't see the advantage of putting 4 ability points into Wisdom. Fighter and Ranger don't really need it, and you haven't taken anything like Stunning Fist to make use of it from the monk side.

Depending on how important you feel skills to be, you could also reduce Int to 6. You'll still get more than 1 skill point during your ranger and monk levels, and you will get 1 skill point either way during fighter levels (before tomes).

If you dumped both Int and Wisdom, you could get 18 Strength / 18 Dexterity / 14 Constitution as your starting stats. You'll get three fighter strength enhancements and two orc strength enhancements. You can put all level-ups in Dexterity this way, and a finesse build will really want you to do that. Or you could still split your level-ups and get higher Strength this way.

Not the most brilliant max DPS build but certainly could be fun.
    White Fang (newbie-friendly build) - TWF melee dps with self-sufficiency and rogue skills.
    California King - the hagglebot craftbot alt build, pure Arty leveling with two-handed weapons.

Community Member

On the other hand, if you really just want to use "toothpicks," there's no inherent need to finesse them. You could use the weapon, use a starting strength of 20 and a starting Dex of 16. You'll also save the feat.
    White Fang (newbie-friendly build) - TWF melee dps with self-sufficiency and rogue skills.
    California King - the hagglebot craftbot alt build, pure Arty leveling with two-handed weapons.

I was confused about monk levels and wisdom, I though that he would get the wisdom bonus from the monk levels, but having re-read the ddo.wiki I see that in order to get the wisdom bonus he would have to remain centered. So never mind, I'm really not liking this build at all anymore :-(

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Madduck59 View Post
    I was confused about monk levels and wisdom, I though that he would get the wisdom bonus from the monk levels, but having re-read the ddo.wiki I see that in order to get the wisdom bonus he would have to remain centered. So never mind, I'm really not liking this build at all anymore :-(
    Actually, that's not completely true. You'll get a "centered" AC bonus as long as you remain centered. This is static and depend fully on your number on monk levels.
    The wisdom bonus doesn't require you to be centered, but you cannot wear any armor, not have a shield and you have to be unencumbered.
    In essence, the same deal as centered but with any weapon of your choice. ^^

And finally, I think Luckness hit it on the head.
    If we want this build to better we want to up the strength slightly and maybe downgrade the dex. And when we add enhancements from the fighter and the half'orc line...well, then it's not much reason for going finesse.

Still, going strength based and kensai focused on rapiers would be a hilarious sight.
    Last edited by OsOscarius; 07-22-2011 at 11:53 PM.