Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by zappy View Post
    OK boys and Girls, here we have one of the most amazing and successful wizard builds that has ever happened. this has been born from innovation, experience and fun. this is also currently the most fun I've had on a build to date.

the objective of all of the shanayney builds is to be able to complete 2 or more rolls in a reaper 10 party, tank, dps, heal, cc, instakill.

this build can tank, cc, instakill, and provides limited DPS which is amazing but it completes each of these amazingly well except the DPS part

its built as a cc/instakill wizard first and tank second. with enough dps to hold aggro from even the best DPS characters via threat increases

the build is as follows

Drow as this is what im doing for racial lives
    wizard 20, epic 10

str: 8
    dex: 10
    con: 16
    int: 20 + all levelups
    wis: 8
    cha: 10

feats are as follows

level 1: quicken
    level 1 wizard feat: enlarge
    level 3: shield proficiency
    level 5 wizard feat: mental toughness
    level 6: wizard past life feat
    level 9: insightful reflex
    level 10 wizard feat: heighten
    level 12 feat: shield mastery
    level 15 feat: single weapon fighting
    level 15 wizard feat: spell focus necromancy
    level 18 feat: improved single weapon fighting
    level 20 wizard feat: improved mental toughness
    level 21: feat greater single weapon fighting
    level 24: feat embolden
    level 26 ED feat: perfect single weapon fighting
    level 27 feat: master of the dead
    level 28 ED feat: mass frog
    level 29 ED feat: deific warding
    level 30 feat: epic mental toughness
    level 30 legendary feat: scion of the shadowfell

skills, you get heaps as you are int based.

important ones to max for the build are spellsight, heal, intimidate, umd, balance. 1 point in tumble. others if you can afford them are search, jump, diplo

Enhancements

i run lots of gear swaps to go between roles. my default roll is as a wizard as that is what people expect from me.

gear run is as follows

helm: LGS helm with 3x bonus to fire spell crit damage with immortal heart
    neck: The Zarash'ak Ward
    trinket: Slavers crafted with wizardy 371, quality wisdom +4, spellsight +22, resistance +14
    cloak:legendary gossamer weave
    belt: legendary silverthread belt
    ringswap: legendary shattered onyx with +10 insightful int crafted
    gloves: legendary skin tight gloves
    boots: LGS boots with 3x bonus to negative spell crit
    ringstatic: legendary celestial sapphire ring with +21 con crafted
    bracers: legendary necromancers bracers
    armor: the legendary blackmail (you can put the robe armor from this set to eek a bit more dps at the loss of some prr/mrr but you have to swap in the medium armor if you expect to tank well
    goggles: legendary collective sight with +21 wisdom and +10 insightful con crafted

weapon: nightmothers scepter
    offhand: legendary concentrated chaos orb with +5 quality int crafted

main swap. when i get through 1000 spellpoints or so, i swap the helm off to a legendary arcsteel brim for the extra magical sheltering. dont forget to swap back at the end of quests or at shrines for that extra 18% spellpoints.

I also swap in legendary acolytes lenses at shrines for buffing with those extra 200 spellpoints. an alternate method would be to make a tripple spellpoint LGS cha skills item but requires an extra cleanser (i dont do this at all but you should be over 7000 sp if you do)

tanking setup. i can swap in a tanking setup in an instant if required then you just swap from litch to zombie and enable epic defensive fighting, cast tensors transformation and you are good to go. I get to a self buffed 122 intimidate before the coffee and alchemical intimidate potions with this setup. good enough for almost everything (reaper project nemesis needs aprox 170 intimidate for no fail on the purple name)

helm: Citadel's Gaze
    neck: Cracked Core
    trinket: Slavers crafted with sheltering 45, quality charisma +4, balance +22, resistance +14
    cloak:legendary Black Velvet Capelet
    belt: LGS belt with 3x unconscious range and a immortal heart
    ringswap: Stolen Signent of Ir'Wynarn
    gloves: legendary skin tight gloves
    boots: LGS boots with 3x electric resistance
    ringstatic: legendary celestial sapphire ring with +21 con crafted
    bracers: legendary necromancers bracers
    armor: the legendary blackmail
    goggles: Legendary Lenses of the Orator

weapon: null
    offhand: Legendary Mirrorplate Tower (cast masters touch for proficiency)

ez tank swap is claok for spell absorb as needed

one additional swap i do at some points during super easy content is swap to a legendary wild flame mainhand stick and burnscar sash belt and equip a pair of attunements gaze to keep the DC's up for things like night revels farming when there is heavy undead but you can use meteor swarm and delayed blast fireball

i carry a nice golf bag of debuffing and utility weapons. I swap the orb to a dust. ash, suffering, or freezing ice, or corrosive salt as needed and apply using magic missile or chain missile or death aura

now, shanayney has over 100 reaper points and can therefor max both the caster tree and the defense tree. im not however completionist or racial completionist. if you are a completionist, swap out epic mental toughness for completionist this will net you a few more intimidate score as well as 1 better on DC's and a few more HP as well.

for DC caster mode in reaper i am looking at a self buffed 131 DC on necromancy spells and 122 enchantment spells.

when i swap to tank mode in reaper, I have 4000 hp with 122 intimidate and 280 prr 200 mrr. this is done in magistar. Not proper tank numbers but its enough for doom reapers and rednames in reaper mode even r10

if i am tanking a raid i will jump into sentinal and get to 3500 hp in a normal thru elite raid and up to ~4700 hp in a reaper raid. I have successfully taken an electric dragon breath on hard killing time with 20 electric vulnerability stacks on hard. also with the amazing self healing of a pale master, i do not need the supervision of a healer for when the rest of the party leaves through portals in killing time.

i have succesfully tanked
    -r10 doom reapers and rednames in all sorts of quests while in magistar
    hard killing time
    hard project nemesis (offtank for r1 project nemesis)
    normal too hot to handle
    r1 hound
    r1 shroud in magistar
    elite riding the storm out

there is just something about the priceless reactions of people wondering how a pure wizard can tank so well.
    Am I missing something or is there int to dmg anywhere here? I see int to hit in the EK tree, but not to dmg. Great build!

Edit: nvm didn't read before posting!
    Last edited by polymath; 11-11-2019 at 07:50 PM.

Updated OP with Video Links
    Quote Originally Posted by Tilomere View Post
    Learn from Zappy, he knows what he is doing on an arcane.
    Khyber server: Plague Winds
    Tank Gotta Go Fast-Shanayney - over 156 Reaper points
    Survivable Healer-Sahanna

Community Member

Not sure I understand why you're taking both shield mastery and the SWF line. I thought the SWF chain only worked with orbs & runearms unless you're a swash.

Quote Originally Posted by Nimdeadlee View Post
    Not sure I understand why you're taking both shield mastery and the SWF line. I thought the SWF chain only worked with orbs & runearms unless you're a swash.
    the only reason to take them is to qualify for the HP boost from epic defensive fighting. having all 4 of those feats means I get 25% extra HP when I toggle on epic defensive fighting when i go into "tank mode"

Community Member

the only reason to take them is to qualify for the HP boost from epic defensive fighting. having all 4 of those feats means I get 25% extra HP when I toggle on epic defensive fighting when i go into "tank mode"
    Ah, makes perfect sense. Thanks!

Community Member

I see you took mass frog, how reliable is your DC with that when you're in 'caster mode'? Just curious how that lands in higher reaper =)

Just wondering, why did you take enlarge and wizard PL? Are the SP metamagics (max/emp) not worth it? Thanks!

-A curious noob
    Sheikra - Completionist Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by polymath View Post
    I see you took mass frog, how reliable is your DC with that when you're in 'caster mode'? Just curious how that lands in higher reaper =)
    yeah, in DC casting mode the DC does not show in the massfrog tooltip. there are a few things to keep in mind on mass frog. it seems to be calculated as a level 14 spell and when you use heighten, it reduces it to a level 9 spell. (lynn pls fix) so turn off heighten on mass frog. I build transmutation dc in for flesh to stone anyway to cc the caster champs that are immune to fort save instakills and find that in ravenloft and earlier content, i can mass frog undead and constructs without fail even on reaper 10. it does not work well at all with sharn and newer content however but i find it worth it even on a character that does not max wisdom just to have another option against the more difficult to instakill monsters such as undead and constructs that have a very low save to mass frog

Quote Originally Posted by Maxxcore View Post
    Just wondering, why did you take enlarge and wizard PL? Are the SP metamagics (max/emp) not worth it? Thanks!

-A curious noob
    enlarge allows you to hit things with spells about twice as far as without enlarge. this includes finger of death, if you are a dc casting caster of any kind and you do not have enlarge, you should rethink your life thus far. wizard past life feat increases all of your DC's by one as well, and every DC counts on this build as it is lacking a few from loosing so many feats to tanking feats. Gives you past life missiles which are very good as well. As far as maximize and empower, they are no longer the powerhouses they once were when they were a % increase to damage and with this builds hybrid tanking ability there is simply no room for them. adding 225 spellpower to 1000 will increase the damage by very little at the cost of 2 feats and adding 40 spellpoints per damaging spellcast. it is much more mana efficient to cast the spell an additional time at a mana savings for more damage. With the changes to reaper mode and casting damage multiplier increasing in the latest reaper patch, I find that it is more useful to have a tank along that can handle doom reapers and rednames instead of doing a hair more damage and running out of spellpoints faster. try not to do too much damage as a DC wizard, your time is better spent with crowd control and instakills.
    Last edited by zappy; 01-11-2020 at 06:17 PM.

Community Member

Hmm you say 9 int from filligrees but you also have only three sets. How do you get 9 int from them? The best I can see is 5, 1 int fill from each set plus 2 int from raid filligree. What am I missing please?

Quote Originally Posted by Rawel_San View Post
    Hmm you say 9 int from filligrees but you also have only three sets. How do you get 9 int from them? The best I can see is 5, 1 int fill from each set plus 2 int from raid filligree. What am I missing please?
    filigree setup

morninglord scepter 8 slots

1: +2 int raid filigree (eye/inevitable grave)
    2: +1 int (eye of the beholder)
    3: +1 int (inevitable grave)
    4: +20 negative healing amo (inevitable grave)
    5: +1 int (ottos irrevocable power)
    6: +10 spellpower (ottos irrevocable power)
    7: MRR (ottos irrevocable power)
    8: +1 int (any other filigree (i used coalesced magic)

artifact necklace 3 slots

2: +1 int (ottos irrevocable power)
    3: +1 (eye of the beholder)

Community Member

filigree setup

morninglord scepter 8 slots

2: +1 int (eye of the beholder)
    3: +1 int (inevitable grave)
    4: +20 negative healing amo (inevitable grave)
    5: +1 int (ottos irrevocable power)
    6: +10 spellpower (ottos irrevocable power)
    7: MRR (ottos irrevocable power)
    8: +1 int (any other filigree (i used coalesced magic)

artifact necklace 3 slots

2: +1 int (ottos irrevocable power)
    3: +1 (eye of the beholder)
    I had a sneaking suspicion this might be the case. The wiki claims that the same filigrees slotted in artifact and weapon will not stack. I've not tested it and have no idea whether that's WAI, but apparently they do then? Thank you for the information.

Quote Originally Posted by Rawel_San View Post
    I had a sneaking suspicion this might be the case. The wiki claims that the same filigrees slotted in artifact and weapon will not stack. I've not tested it and have no idea whether that's WAI, but apparently they do then? Thank you for the information.
    From the Minor Artifact page on the wiki:
    The same Filigree slotted into your Minor Artifact and Sentient Weapon do not stack with each other, although both will count towards Set Bonus requirements.
    (Example: If you placed "Deadly Rain: Dexterity" into both your equipped Minor Artifact and your equipped Sentient Weapon, you would only gain +1 Dexterity BUT you would activate the 2-piece set bonus from Deadly Rain (+5 Ranged Power).)
    Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gnollum View Post
    From the Minor Artifact page on the wiki:
    The same Filigree slotted into your Minor Artifact and Sentient Weapon do not stack with each other, although both will count towards Set Bonus requirements.
    (Example: If you placed "Deadly Rain: Dexterity" into both your equipped Minor Artifact and your equipped Sentient Weapon, you would only gain +1 Dexterity BUT you would activate the 2-piece set bonus from Deadly Rain (+5 Ranged Power).)
    Right that's the point I was referring too.

oh lol, never saw that in the wiki, its wrong happens from time to time.

Community Member

If you swap from swf to twf, you can double up debuffs on bosses with melee, using int to hit from EK, and apply vacuum + ash main/offhand, while applying dust + ooze with aura. The auto attack manaless damage for longer raids actually ends up almost decent on my sorc with 31 AP in EK.

Oh, and the knight's transformation toggle will give you 30 PRR from BaB without the spell cooldown and DC loss of Tensor's for tanking.
    Last edited by Tilomere; 02-28-2020 at 05:20 PM.

Major update to the build!!!!

I have completed completionist and racial completionist and have done my 3 alch lives. past lives now include:

Code:
    Heroic:29 (Completionist)
    Alchemist:x3
    Artificer:x1
    Barbarian:x1
    Bard:x1
    Cleric:x3
    Druid:x1
    Favored Soul:x3
    Fighter:x1
    Monk:x1
    Paladin:x3
    Rogue:x1
    Sorcerer:x3
    Warlock:x3
    Wizard:x3

Racial:36 (Completionist)
    Aasimar:x3
    Dragonborn:x3
    Drow Elf:x3
    Dwarf:x3
    Elf:x3
    Gnome:x3
    Half-Elf:x3
    Half-Orc:x3
    Halfling:x3
    Human:x3
    Teifling:x3
    Warforged:x3

Epic:31 (Completionist)

Martial
    Skill Mastery x3
    Doublestrike x3

Divine
    Brace x3
    Ancent Blessing x3
    Block Energy x3
    Life and Death x1

Primal (Done)
    Colors of the Queen x3
    Fast healing x3
    Doublestrike x3
    Ancient Power x3

Arcane
    Arcane Alacrity x3

Iconic: 12
    PDK x3
    Shadar-Kai x3
    Deep Gnome x3
    Aasimar Scourge x3

I have also pulled a very sad reaper hat, a darkstorm helm. even though it is a very bad hat, it now gets swapped in when DC's are the most important. another Legendary Greensteel cleanser has been made and I now can swap in 3 peices of greensteel for "tanking mode"

Tanking Stats in reaper mode, self buffed, no nerfed defense shrine or bard. (121 reaper points now)

keep in mind that this is a fresh level 30 and I have house j, harper, sharn, and gatekeeper favor to do still for an extra 20 hp to get.

my intimidate has been updated to 136 self buffed and the feat list was updated via swapping out improved mental toughness and epic mental toughness with completionist and extend. this has a positive effect on DC's and is a huge quality of life help, as the death auras and rage/displace are now double length. mana is now 6500 starting out in a reaper quest while in caster mode instead of approaching 7000 as a result.

enhancements have been changed to 31 points in EK to get 2 second deflect arrows and 41 points in Pale Master, giving up dark discorporation leaving 7 points for falconry loosing the 5% quality hp bonus and sprint boost (+prr and +1 int) after taking 16 points in the racial tree (2 more than the free 14 Racial points to get 3/3 in arcanum for some extra spell points and spell penetration to help vs enemy drow

on that note, I have updated the build to be a sun elf! this gives up the spell resistance that simply did not work in reaper mode anyway and instead grants 2 charges of rejuvenation of dawn and 3/3 in arcanum. sun elf is a full int race and they get 2 int to get in the racial enhancement tree. this really helps out on r10's getting rid of death penalties and in epic reaper mines where as much spell penetration as possible is needed. However! this does require a +1 heart of wood, so beware.

As far as int and DC's in regular wizard mode, I am looking at 6 extra int (130 max) with the new reaper stat helm on, bringing all the DC's up by 3 in addition to the extra 3 transmutation DC from 3x alchemist

If you swap from swf to twf, you can double up debuffs on bosses with melee, using int to hit from EK, and apply vacuum + ash main/offhand, while applying dust + ooze with aura. The auto attack manaless damage for longer raids actually ends up almost decent on my sorc with 31 AP in EK.

Oh, and the knight's transformation toggle will give you 30 PRR from BaB without the spell cooldown and DC loss of Tensor's for tanking.
    Interesting thought, I definitely do not mind giving up cha points to dex to qualify for TWF as I now have such a good intimidate score. However, when I am in caster mode, im doing quite a lot from a good distance away and have no desire to melee at all. I am quite good at keeping all the debuffs up as it sits just via casting, and having the swf feats does not mean you cannot equip 2 LGS debuffers and cast magic missile from a safe distance. During raids I am the tank or I am the DC caster, in charge of CC and instakilling trash and debuffing when i can, not direct damage at all. Dont forget that arcanes are responsible for keeping bosses debuffed with spells like waves of exhaustion as well, and keeping cloudkill active.

I really dont ever have time to sit in and melee except between trash waves in KT, which is a raid that is now rarely run on khyber, the other common raids that khyber runs are shroud, 2hot and project nemesis. Shroud its very beneficial to be the DC caster full time and 2hot its also very beneficial to have a DC caster full time and in project nemesis, I tank the raid or tank 1 or 2 bosses on reaper mode. other then that I run r8+ groups and melee range is no good for me except when I tank a doom or redname once prepared.

As far as tensors vs knights transformation, I have made that change now that i run with 31 points in EK full time now. I can still activate tensors for the +4 con from time to time when I feel it is needed over spell cooldowns.

Updated Int/DC breakdowns and build post for completionist and racial completionist

If you do not have completionist, take improved mental toughness or a spell focus feat or even great intelligence if you have an odd int instead

Great write up thanks for that just curious with the patch fixing sw's are you thinking some stuff might get ninja nerfed when they do fix them

And the heighten not working with mass frog wasn't sure about that do you know if it works or bugs out on the deep gnome sla's like color spray and pk
    Damonz Cannith

a crappy reaper Darkstorm helm
    very sad reaper hat, a darkstorm helm. even though it is a very bad hat
    Your bitterness over this is hilarious

Quote Originally Posted by SynalonEtuul View Post
    Your bitterness over this is hilarious
    heyyyyyyyyyy just nailed a reaper stat pansophic circlet!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast