Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Alchemist?

Quote Originally Posted by BigErkyKid View Post
    We all know that to do well in DDO you gotta play the latest meta release

This is a DnD game, there should be some love for all classes, many of us are here for old times´sake...
    You can play any class you want and "do well", once you're geared up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago. Note - This was posted in 10/2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by TedSandyman View Post
    Some people brag about how fast they finished the game. I cant think of a stupider thing to brag about. Or in this game, going from level 1 to level 30 in two days, or however long it takes. I can't even begin to imagine what drives a person to think that is fun. You are ignoring all of the content and options and going for sheer speed. It is like going to a museum and bragging about how fast you made it through. Or bragging about how fast you finished a good steak.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    Were all of the destinies a month ago not enough for you? :P

All joking around aside, I'm pretty excited for the class. Not counting the sub-spells they're closing in on 100 different preparable spells and it's a little intense. I think you folks are really going to like them.
    100 different spells?

Does that mean players will be spamming about 10 spells?

Will wizards have access to these 10 spells? Will wizards ever have access to Evards Tentacles?

Would be nice if some of these 100 spells would be made available for other arcane casters. Wizards in particular could do with having some new options to add to their books.

Quote Originally Posted by Bionca View Post
    Would be nice if some of these 100 spells would be made available for other arcane casters. Wizards in particular could do with having some new options to add to their books.
    Lynnabel was nice and said those are spells. To be precise (accurate) those are not spells. Those are scientific discoveries made by the alchemist in a chemistry laboratory... Those discoveries made bombs and elixirs, chemists don't do "magic" and "arcane" which wizards were doing during their studies.

I do not know how much of these will get implemented though:

https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/bas...st/discoveries

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigErkyKid View Post
    Really? Because I run into meta builds all the time when I play.

For me, most of the fun is in building, and it gets mad annoying when you see that many of the existing options in the game are not actually supported. Sometimes it is outdated gear options, other times bad scaling, and often just being far from the last time they were meta.

When you have some many outdated options currently in the game, it seems weird to choose to create a whole new system. What happened to melee ES warlocks, I guess we now have to play melee Alchemist whatevers?
    I would encourage you to TR whenever you get to 30 and run exclusively PUG's (which is the way I play). The poster you quoted was right, most of the people that play do not play meta builds. I do run into them, sure, but they are not the majority by far. If you are playing where meta players live (higher reaper at cap) then sure, you can expect to find them there. But that is where this subset of the player base spends their time. If you go into lower reaper and non-cap play you will see a wide range of builds of all kinds of different power levels. I understand if you prefer staying at cap and playing higher reaper, but only a minority of the people choose to do that and that minority is more likely to follow the meta.

1. Tentacle (extra leg for movement?)
    2. Vestigial Arm (extra arm for an extra attack)

LOL, these two specific discoveries made by an Alchemist made him (her?) look like a Taken.

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility

Systems Designer

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrande View Post
    Lynnabel was nice and said those are spells. To be precise (accurate) those are not spells. Those are scientific discoveries made by the alchemist in a chemistry laboratory... Those discoveries made bombs and elixirs, chemists don't do "magic" and "arcane" which wizards were doing during their studies.

We are using literally 0 of these, actually. I've never seen this list before in my life. Alchemists have a spellbook and cast arcane spells, are subject to arcane spell failure, etc.

Hmm, on second thought, the Chameleon potion is really cool. I'm gonna maybe walk back that literally 0 above, there are some cool ideas in here.
    100% radical, enthusiasm enthusiast.

"Have you tried preproccing feat directory?"

Community Member

We are using literally 0 of these, actually. I've never seen this list before in my life.
    Probably because you dont work on Pathfinder Online

We are using literally 0 of these, actually. I've never seen this list before in my life. Alchemists have a spellbook and cast arcane spells, are subject to arcane spell failure, etc.

Hmm, on second thought, the Chameleon potion is really cool. I'm gonna maybe walk back that literally 0 above, there are some cool ideas in fhere.
    What is it actually based on?

Quote Originally Posted by Arkat View Post
    ...I didn't waste my time on ultimate completionist, triple completionist, or even plain old completionist.

I have absolutely ZERO interest in playing such a moronic class like Alchemist.

Throwing potions (bomb-like), throwing darts (as DPS no less!), and making buffing potions?

NFW!

I feel like Alchemist is waste of Dev development time and Player playing time.
    Obviously, you didn't play AD&D with 18/00 strength fighter throwing 3/darts a round for the Str bonus at level 1!

Darts and Molotov cocktails (oil flasks) have been around since the old days, but tossing flasks seems to be more of a movie thing.

STILL better than dual wielding hand xbows (shudder!)

I might play it for the role playing flavor, but I agree not as a main class.
    Oh, that's easy. I didn't farm them. I just cheated. -Meghan
    Quote Originally Posted by 404error View Post
    lol, I didnt give it a QA pass.

All joking around aside, I'm pretty excited for the class. Not counting the sub-spells they're closing in on 100 different preparable spells and it's a little intense. I think you folks are really going to like them.
    There is a difference between "balancing" and outright fixing broken abilities (ones that don't work) and lag. Since the past 2 updates, I have seen my client completely freeze without any updates (and chat in guild asking if anyone else had a lag spike when they are not in my group/dungeon). Yep, this was when the servers were "empty" when the hardcore server opened (only see about 500 people online)

Game balancing is a NEW TOY.
    Oh, that's easy. I didn't farm them. I just cheated. -Meghan
    Quote Originally Posted by 404error View Post
    lol, I didnt give it a QA pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Palna View Post
    What is it actually based on?
    My guess is the only other example of an actual alchemist, which is the 3.5 prestige class. It's extremely generic and not a whole lot to go on, though, so I guess WoTC gave them leave to take some creative liberties to flesh it out into a full-fledged class.
    Primary Home: Argonnessen
    Archarias, Guild Leader of Britches & Hosen
    "Elder brains are a lot like bouncy castles. They just sit there, but if you jump up and down on them, things get interesting real quick." ~FlimsyFirewood

Community Member Alrik_Fassbauer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrande View Post

This looks more like the "real thing" to me : https://dungeons.fandom.com/wiki/Alchemist_(3.5e_Class)

Anyway, I want a "blubb" sound !
    "You are a Tiefling. And a Cleric, with the Domain of the Sun. Doesn't that contradict each other ?" "No, all my friends are playing evil. I found that so boring that I decided to be on the good side. And, besides, Sun and Fire, where is the difference, really ?"

This was all before Hardcore went life. So maybe 3 weeks ago.

Cheers,
    Titus.

Source: the dark side
    Last edited by TitusOvid; 08-31-2019 at 07:40 AM.
    Playing since 2010 | Don't do the fun wrong | New to Orien? Join the ingame Titan Channel | Soko Irrlicht freut sich immer über neue Mitglieder | Deutscher DDO Discord | Orien Raiding Discord | Toons: Titus Ovid , Bruder, Upload, Zzed, (Rubbel)

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Helmet View Post
    Obviously, you didn't play AD&D with 18/00 strength fighter throwing 3/darts a round for the Str bonus at level 1!

Darts and Molotov cocktails (oil flasks) have been around since the old days, but tossing flasks seems to be more of a movie thing.

STILL better than dual wielding hand xbows (shudder!)

I might play it for the role playing flavor, but I agree not as a main class.
    I like the crossbow gameplay mechanics, but yeah - that “point your gun offscreen to reload” thing is something to save for coin-op video games in an arcade.
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

Community Member

Fixing Epic Destinies = you mean releasing them when there are many things still bugged? Or the pale Master that is not exactly WAI or the Inquiaitive Shiradi or Inquiaitive Shadowdancer that are so broken OP that is it not fun to play any other class (absolutely no reason to play a melee builds right now since either it dies on reaper or the ranged builds kill everything so fast that the melee builds have absolutely nothing to play for = feeling totally worth less.

I understand you put tons of work to update EDs and to give us some fun new stuff but I think there is a lot of content not working, or bugged (or even something like the loading screen stuck bug) and I believe it would be more professional to give us that secure feeling of reliable and balanced game play and I don't feel it's there at the moment.

I still love you guys for all that you do and work on all the time.
    Cheers.

The complaining player

if it is a dart thrower class, nightforged spike is much easier to farm than ratcatcher

https://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Nightforge_Spike

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnbeimnech View Post
    if it is a dart thrower class, nightforged spike is much easier to farm than ratcatcher

https://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Nightforge_Spike
    If they made a Legendary version that did 5[1d4] + 15 instead, that would actually make things interesting.
    Last edited by Arkat; 09-01-2019 at 11:55 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aelonwy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    The release notes themselves are essentially the same as was seen on Lamannia most recently.
    This^, in so many words, is how you say time and feedback on Lamannia are wasted.

Quote Originally Posted by Malusny View Post
    or the Inquiaitive Shiradi or Inquiaitive Shadowdancer that are so broken OP that is it not fun to play any other class (absolutely no reason to play a melee builds right now since either it dies on reaper or the ranged builds kill everything so fast that the melee builds have absolutely nothing to play for = feeling totally worth less.
    Yeah. After playing a couple inquisitive builds over the past 2 months I got bored and went back to melee. Wow. There's no comparison.

Going back to inquisitive.

Community Member

Well, its been a while since last post, but it seems a relevant thread still, as alchemist is still coming (I hope).

I have noticed some things on this discussion. The first I will address is the 'grenades spoil my immersion' type of whinge. My first ever basic D&D character carried oil flasks and holy water flasks, both of which she happily threw at the enemy when appropriate. As alchemy is as old as humans have been mixing two things together to get a third thing, it is totally in line with a fantasy setting. Combine the two, and you have alchemists creating things that are designed to be thrown. Historically naptha was used as a grenade type weapon, apparently in the 8th centurary...so grenades seem reasonable to me.
    Complaints about darts as a weapon...well, didn't an early poster mention its in the poison enhancement line? Use your imagination...darts were never intended to be a DPS weapon...they are a poison delivery system...geez >.<

The other big one I want to address is the issue of 'waaahhh, fix wots broke, don't make new stuff.' I mean really, doesn't it make sense to do both? We know they have teams fixing broken stuff, because broken stuff gets fixed on occasions. We know they have teams working on balance issues, because rebalancing is a fairly regular occurrence.
    Many of us love new content, it helps keep the game alive for some, and contributes to the dev's being able to pay bills...without which (forget the fact they would starve) even the completely self interested should recognise the need to simply pay the costs of keeping servers running!

Additionally, those complaining that some ED's are broken op, making others not fun to play? What is wrong with you...is only the most ubah supa orsome kikazz deth build available fun to play? I love playing all three of the spell casting ed's..I prefer them to those mentioned as being the only ones that are fun to play. Really, that issue is not one of balance, its an issue of your expectations and prejudices.

Yeah, a bit of agro in this post I suppose, sorry...but really...

Anyway, awesome job devs, thanks for keeping one of the all time best mmo's going and improving.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast