Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Mimics suck

Community Member

Easiest way to kill em is be a ranger who can paralyze. Other then that, I really don't care about mimics as the rewards are quite lame IMHO;

Quote Originally Posted by Vish View Post
    Mimics suck

Updated client, all went ok
    Logged in
    I'm level 5 and put up lfm for irestone
    No one joins so I begin solo
    Enter, go up the hill to the right
    Clear mobs easy, it's elite
    Chest there
    I open it
    Mimic
    Fight, fight, fight
    Slowed
    Dots
    Dead

My first chest killed me

Ok I release and some ppl join and we complete
    I run another and end up with 6 tokens after 2 runs

Later, run Sharn
    Put up lfm r1, no one joins
    Run first three quests
    Get killed in each one at end by mimic
    Have to jibbers to kill it
    Quit none joining

Later run house d taverns
    Killed at end by mimics
    And this is with 300 hp
    Nothing else touching me
    But at end, when usual down on hp and opening end chest
    Mimics
    Killing me

This is bs.
    Cr 13 in lvl 4 quests

I'm turning it off
    Not even worth the hassle
    And loot is lame besides

No thank you ssg
    Honestly I have had no problems killing mimics I thought the opposite they died so fast a party member popped the chest while mobs are still around. I didn't realize they spawned. Please understand I'm not being sarcastic or rude. I'm level 10 and did the Necro 2 chain no issues. Just my two cents.

Angry

I'm just gonna come back and have another say in this thread, because after trying really, really hard to give this "event" a fair shake, I've been forced to the conclusion that the devs are either all morons or utterly incompetent at their jobs. Even the most basic level of testing would have demonstrated how screwed up the balancing was!

Mimics are so stupidly OP at lower levels that the game is basically unplayable. My L5 Monk just died EIGHT FRICKIN' TIMES trying to complete "The Smuggler's Warehouse" on Hard.... something I normally solo on Elite blindfolded. Because of Mimics.

Start the quest.
    Tear through the mobs.
    Open the chest to get the gate key.... oh look, mimic.
    Beat the mimic down to 60% health before the 20+ damage/proc DoT (only had two stacks) killed me (with acid resist potion running).
    Tavern. Eat. Repair.
    Enter quest.
    Kill mimic, get door key, die to DoT.

Rinse / repeat every time there's a chest.

Basically, I can only play my character if I simply skip every non-completion essential chest. And even then, I'm still going to die repeatedly, incur huge repair bills (for a lowbie character, anyway) and spend chunks of time standing around in the tavern waiting for my health to return or running back to quests.

This "event" (because it barely deserves the name.... my cat could **** better balancing than this!) is a huge "F^*K YOU" to new players, lowbie alts etc. etc.

And don't start with "try grouping up", because this game is so dead that I can go whole evenings without a single response to my LFM's. And don't start with "try blocking" either... there's no broadcast to tell you when to block, and even if there was, blocking doesn't work if you're not American! By the time the laggy-ass, sloth-driven servers have registered your block, you've already been hit by the thing you were trying to block and the next four or five attacks as well!

GG, SSG. Until this event is over, I'm basically locked out of decently playing two of my three characters. Remind me again, why I should be paying for this "experience"?

Quote Originally Posted by Thalamask View Post
    GG, SSG. Until this event is over, I'm basically locked out of decently playing two of my three characters. Remind me again, why I should be paying for this "experience"?
    People might not know this because it's not in the release notes, but you can turn off the chance of spawning mimics by going to the Hall of Heroes and talking to Glynereth (I believe it's this NPC, the same that gives the rewards) and choosing that option.
    Quote Originally Posted by JOTMON View Post
    I don't think you get a choice.. you are Rys's minion..

Community Member

Thankfully the event can be turned off as per a dev post:

Quote Originally Posted by Cocomajobo View Post
    If you visit Glynyreth in the Eberron Hall of Heroes there is an option for not wanting to spawn mimics.
    I personally think that this information should have been in the patch notes under the event information or that the event should have been off by default and required talking to the npc.

Quote Originally Posted by Wizza View Post
    People might not know this because it's not in the release notes, but you can turn off the chance of spawning mimics by going to the Hall of Heroes and talking to Glynereth (I believe it's this NPC, the same that gives the rewards) and choosing that option.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thisshouldbeme View Post
    Thankfully the event can be turned off as per a dev post. I personally think that this information should have been in the patch notes under the event information or that the event should have been off by default and required talking to the npc.
    Ah, OK.... thanks you two! Just one question... WHERE in the HoH?! Because when I first checked after the update, I couldn't find him.

Back on topic, though.... "We screwed up so bad that some of you just have to turn the 'event' off in order to play" doesn't exactly inspire confidence in the competence of the dev-team, which is kinda why I ask : Why should I keep putting money into this game if SSG is gonna keep screwing up like this?

Don't get me wrong... I'm not being cheap. I've dropped about £150 in the last eight or so months on this game, and I'm just looking for reasons to keep supporting it, because I really love what this game could be. It's just that over the past few months (given the massively low pops and the number of screwups and poor decisions there've been lately) I'm honestly starting to wonder about the future of this game, and whether it's really worth investing further cash and time on it.

Are the mimics hitting harder than last year? It seems to they are. Have I been killed by one. Yep. But I have an epic toon and a 6 level toon and one toon that is around 3rd or 4th level. I have been able to kill the mimics. Though I have learned to heal up and then take the approach of opening the chest. Jumping back and then swinging. So far it seems to work.

I do a fair amount of soloingish. As in, I do have have a healer or hirling along. The first mimic killed me. Then learned from that mistake. As to the awards. Not seeing anything that I really want or need.

**shrugs**

Still, it does add that unknown quality to the quest. Is this chest going to bite me or love me question. Nothing like not knowing to make it interesting.

We will look at the CR of mimics in heroic to see if there might be an issue, or if the DoT specifically is not scaling properly at heroic levels.

Sev~

Quote Originally Posted by whoolsey View Post
    So how do you turn of mimics?

yeah, pretty much anothe middle finger to melees

Agin. The devs did it again, throwing melees under the bus and didn't think about other players by scaling it to the 1% crowd.
    I had a cr31mimic spawn in a lv 11 reaper quest. Sigh. There is overreacting and there is turbining it...
    iirc release notes said the guy who trades you motes can throw repellent on you, so at least the chest you open will have 0 chance of being mimic, that's what i did last time

u joined a lfm? let them open chest

it's your lfm? you open chest 1st
    psykopeta is finally baconpletionist because there isn't anything to delay it more - thelanis, where the gimps claim to be pros and noobs claim to be pros, no newbies allowed(unless they claim to be pros), we have enough drama w/o them. PS: I post only in the latest thread shown in main page, in the weird case u want something from me, feel free to send pm

Ya, I rage quit 3 times yesterday
    Couldn't sleep
    Had to do midnite runs to get me back square
    After I turned off mimics

I mean, 300 hp and can clear a r1 dungeon no problems.
    Finish the quest and go to get loot,
    And get killed by the chest
    So yes I turned it off

Mimics fine in group,
    But as a solo run I'd just rather not
    Not worth the grief

And to those who heckle about complaints,
    I rarely complain
    But I was so ****ed yesterday
    I voiced
    Most of the forums are complaints
    Kinda weak replys.

And to turn off,
    Visit mimic hunter in hoh
    Kil Glory
    30 alchemist
    HOW
    Sarlona

Quote Originally Posted by Cantor View Post
    This sounds like the right CR for those difficulties. If you were getting those levels on normal, I'd think something was off.

I do agree that the spawn rates suck for the high costs, and that the dots are punishing for low levels.
    The CR of the mimics in Framework were higher than some of the Red Names on elite specifically the Matador Chieftan, the Cabal Seers, and Orom. That seems excessive for an event mob to be more difficult than some of the quest bosses.
    Blood Scented Axe Body Spray (Thelanis)
    Aelonwy - Wydavir - Metaluscious - Aertimys - Phantastique - Kaelaria - Lunaura - Aelurawynn - Saurscha - Crystalorn - Aurvaeyn - Vaelyns - Wyllowynd

I apologize. There was a bug fixed with mimics, but the side effect is that they are using boss scaling which makes them dangerous at low levels since they are scaled like a boss at the end of a dungeon.

We are discussing whether we can patch in adjustments next week.

Sev~

Quote Originally Posted by Severlin View Post
    I apologize. There was a bug fixed with mimics, but the side effect is that they are using boss scaling which makes them dangerous at low levels since they are scaled like a boss at the end of a dungeon.

Sev~
    By any chance could you adjust prices also, item at 4 and 28 costing same makes no sense. Would suggest to make Tier x10,
    lvl 4 - 10
    lvl 8 - 20
    lvl 12 - 30
    lvl 16 - 40
    lvl 20 - 50
    lvl 24 - 60
    lvl 28 - 70

With mimic spawn chance more casual players won't make even single item during event

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by AzureDragonas View Post
    By any chance could you adjust prices also, item at 4 and 28 costing same makes no sense. Would suggest to make Tier x10,
    lvl 4 - 10
    lvl 8 - 20
    lvl 12 - 30
    lvl 16 - 40
    lvl 20 - 50
    lvl 24 - 60
    lvl 28 - 70

With mimic spawn chance more casual players won't make even single item during event
    40 chests per day for the next 11 days = hopefully 1 item, all the while mimics mercilessly wiping groups left and right... I feel like the grind/cost wasn't thought through all that well.
    Stratis on Khyber

Solo/duo raids and solo R10s. Come see what a bard can do.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq7...2ixwFkkmzBAvQw

Community Member

Ah, OK.... thanks you two! Just one question... WHERE in the HoH?! Because when I first checked after the update, I couldn't find him.
    In Eberron at least, the mimic turn in guy is close to the reaper traders, but off towards the middle. Probably him 'M' to open your map and look for him. Just talk to him and there's an option about how to avoid the mimics. Get sprayed, no mimics, have fun.

Default my 2 cp

While I enjoy the event, I feel the rate at which mimics spawn and the amount you get for them vs the cost of the items is waaaaay off base, 80 tokens for any item regardless of the level is just ridiculous, maybe starting at 10-20 for lvl 4 and higher increments after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Fivetigers33 View Post
    40 chests per day for the next 11 days = hopefully 1 item, all the while mimics mercilessly wiping groups left and right... I feel like the grind/cost wasn't thought through all that well.

Just for laughs.
    Blood Scented Axe Body Spray (Thelanis)
    Aelonwy - Wydavir - Metaluscious - Aertimys - Phantastique - Kaelaria - Lunaura - Aelurawynn - Saurscha - Crystalorn - Aurvaeyn - Vaelyns - Wyllowynd

Sev~
    Thanks for looking into this, and getting this fixed. To add my own story, I ran Freshen the Air last night on R1 with my level 5 Paladin/Fighter, and the mimic at the last chest was by far more powerful than anything else in the quest, a lot more difficult then the end boss, any champion or any reaper I encountered. All the other mobs in the quest didn't kill me, but that mimic sure did.
    Last edited by Ralmeth; 09-28-2017 at 05:53 PM.
    The best part of the 10th Anniversary of DDO...the description on the Oatmeal Raisin Kookie,
    "From a distance you thought this was a chocolate chip kookie. Now you're sad."

Sev~
    Thanks, Sev! Much appreciated.

Any chance we could get a bit of an extension on the event at the same time? I mean, there's no harm in asking, right?

I've gotta side with the "poor level balancing" crowd here. My L25 Barb is having no issues with them at all, but my L5 Monk gets killed by each mimic at least once per mimic.

There's just no way that a L5 character can handle an ability that:
    • occurs every couple of seconds,
    • has no broadcast so that you know when to block,
    • applies a stacking DoT,
    • has 5-odd ticks,
    • can tick for some 30-40 damage (once you have 2-3 stacks) AFTER acid resist pots and stuff have reduced it.

Your average L5 character probably has on the order of 100 HPs (allowing for class variance, obv). Giving a mob an ability that can do 150-200 near guaranteed damage is just stupid.

Even the simplest attempt at balancing / testing the "new" mimics would have pointed this out. I don't like to rag on the devs, because they're probably doing the best they can with what they have. It's not like DDO has a massive, WoW-level playerbase, so that the devs are swimming in money to hire huge teams. Unfortunately, however, this "event" basically just means "don't play newbie alts... also, we hate new players".
    I've been taking vet 7 bank mules through 5 repetitions each of Irestone with mixed results. A ranger died 4 times across the 5 runs, all to the mimics themselves, although 2 of those deaths were on elite as I was grouped and my partner wanted to try an elite run to see if it impacted the mimic rate (it did not). A aura spec warlock skated through the 5 runs barely taking any damage at all. Both are very, very poorly geared: the tempest ranger has a Korthos rapier and I bought him a stock rapier for the off-hand just so he'd see the benefits from his tempest enhancements which all seem to require twf to function. The Lock has the dragonmark that gives 3x Expeditious Retreat which meant a 100% uptime, so that was very handy.

If I had a spare character slot I'd make and re-make a clone of the warlock for token farming, but I do not and I'm not buying one just for this event.

I find that the level 7 Cleric hireling Flower is perfect for the Irestone runs as she has Panacea to get rid of Ray of Enfeeblement and Monster Summoning IV which isn't really necessary but adds to the speed of clearing each camp and occasionally catches the RoE for you so you don't need to remove it. Set her to aggressive and she can get some kills just spamming her Nimbus of Light spell.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast