Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by PermaBanned View Post
    Ah, so indeed I'd chalk that up under the "if things have changed" category, as we didn't even have Druids yet; let alone ships with Danger Rooms

But thanks for the heads up just incase they ever return my favorite "feature!"
    Illegal metal dog fighting... this will be rad! Just don't get caught by the guards or your bank will see money vanish...

that or the even more illegal Permabanned challenge of getting yourself killed to try and kill his dog... make sure to place bets at the local ship book keeper before accepting challenge :P
    Last edited by Wonedream; 09-24-2017 at 09:33 PM.

Community Manager

To answer the question about accounts and posting permissions: Once the initial anti-spam and trolling gating is complete, people should be able to post just about anywhere outside of Official Discussions (employee thread posting only), Announcements, and Fansite News (Fansite permissions only).
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter YouTube
    Join us on Twitch!
    Hello from Standing Stone Games! Facebook Twitter
    For Support: https://help.standingstonegames.com

Quote Originally Posted by Wonedream View Post
    In the past it didn't need incentives because it wasn't so imbalanced. Now it is so imbalanced that incentives would work, but we would end up seeing only a few specialized builds dominate the place, and either we make on of them for the incentives or we get beat up. If they could balance PvP a bit somehow, it wouldn't need incentives, a balanced fighting system itself would be the incentive.

Personally I would LOVE to see a gladiator tree where the only place it matters is PvP and the only way to get APs is PvP, but if they did that right now a lot of people would freak out, saying game is dangling from a life thread and needs to address what THEY want or need or they will quit the game.

I was on the brink of quitting due to racial TRs, then just figured my mule alts just will play epic hard or normal and suck, oh well :P After accepting that, they became fun again. I think the most I'd ever invest in them is for cosmetics, for fun, but 1 life builds are seriously limited when they shouldn't be.

I figured I'd stick it out, even if game does worst updates ever. It is too much fun watching it go down!!! And it would be even better to see it revive!!!!!!!

Either way I win, though I do prefer the game does a 180 table flip and suddenly is the best online game ever, with a freaking oxodus of new players migrating in the millions! It could happen, but they need to focus on FEATURES and FEATURES and FEATURES and only by focusing on FEATURES can they create a climate where suddenly tons of people are finding their favorite thing fits where there are also several other things they are interested in, all together in a place with a huge population. Basically DDO would have to stop being about quest grinding, and start being about all sorts of things to do that are DIFFERENT then quest grinding.

Endless killing gets dull.

How about a murder mystery, or something that has nothing to do with fighting? When that gets boring I will go kill something... it would be nice to have other things to do that are not even remotely about killing (I could already hear someone saying "crafting"... which is about making better gear to kill with...).. how about a garden in the back of my house? Or a farm :P (I know, some people are going insane hearing this, heads fuming red... a FARM o.O!!!! How dare he!!!). I don't care, ANYTHING, just show new features, some new sort of game to this...
    As a DM of Yore. Some the best game time was not Hack and Slash. It was those down times. When the group was opening a bar. Was working on building a castle. Or even starting family. PnP allowed myself and the players to really open the world beyond the next dungeon crawl.

Could any of this be incorporated into the game at present. Darned if I know. I know that as the 'net changes and evolves. We could see it happen at some point. I will how ever dust off my crystal ball. And peer into it.

I suspect that with in the next fifteen years we might see it such a thing happen in ddo. Especially as more people start using Virtual Reality. More than looking at a monitor. Virtual reality should open the 'net in ways that i can only imagine. As technology advances and as people demand a better surfing experience. Gaming will be far different in thirty years.

That will be when most of you whippersnappers will be my age. Being blown away by tech you only knew as sitting on some one shelf or as a prototype.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonedream View Post
    So I put PvP to the test on Thelanis just now. I logged into Kworr Stoned, my Half Orc Bezerker and went to the wayward lobster. I put an lfm up... beat up Kworr or get beat up by Kworr..

[...]

PvP isn't dead on Thelanis, Im guessing the other servers are the same.
    If your LFM says "Beat Up Kworr 10 times in 45 minutes to win 500 SSG Points" I am certain a lot MOAR people are willing to give you the pain.

To even the bargain further, you can say "Beat Up Kworr 10 times in 45 minutes to win 500 SSG points or get beaten up by Kworr and lost 400 SSGP in 45 minutes"

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility

Quote Originally Posted by Brandwynn View Post
    As a DM of Yore. Some the best game time was not Hack and Slash. It was those down times. When the group was opening a bar. Was working on building a castle. Or even starting family. PnP allowed myself and the players to really open the world beyond the next dungeon crawl.

Could any of this be incorporated into the game at present. Darned if I know. I know that as the 'net changes and evolves. We could see it happen at some point. I will how ever dust off my crystal ball. And peer into it.

I suspect that with in the next fifteen years we might see it such a thing happen in ddo. Especially as more people start using Virtual Reality. More than looking at a monitor. Virtual reality should open the 'net in ways that i can only imagine. As technology advances and as people demand a better surfing experience. Gaming will be far different in thirty years.

That will be when most of you whippersnappers will be my age. Being blown away by tech you only knew as sitting on some one shelf or as a prototype.
    I dunno. I know its just a movie, but look at "Back to the Future", aka 1985. They predicted that by the year 2015 (30 years from 1985), we should have hover cars and hover boards... but none of those existed. We should have fusion power and can generate power cheaply by a fusion engine that can take any material as fuel. It doesn't exist....
    We should have flat screen TVs that split screen into 10 channels and can watch them at the same time. May be we have this, but its painfully implemented in such a small screen. Fruits that are provided on demand of a voice command? Not present.

On the other hand, we have a company in Boston that is building terminator robots that can autonomously move goods, and climb stairs and manipulated snowly terrain...
    Virtual Reality Samsung apps that look like cartoons...

I don't mind playing DDO immersely in 4D... but I bet the graphics are not going to be as good as you see on your computer monitor right now.

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrande View Post
    If your LFM says "Beat Up Kworr 10 times in 45 minutes to win 500 SSG Points" I am certain a lot MOAR people are willing to give you the pain.

To even the bargain further, you can say "Beat Up Kworr 10 times in 45 minutes to win 500 SSG points or get beaten up by Kworr and lost 400 SSGP in 45 minutes"
    Then I would have been giving Acidzap 500 SSG :P He could have killed poor Kworr 100 times in 45 minutes, he accidently killed Kworr just by getting to close to him "then apologized.. oops, sorry"

I was testing to see if PvP is dead, and even without any incentive it is well alive on Thelanis. More people showed up in 20 minutes that I've seen show up for a raid in the last 5 years. (ok, more can show up since raid limits to 12, but the first 12 showed up faster then a raid would fill...)

I dunno. I know its just a movie, but look at "Back to the Future", aka 1985. They predicted that by the year 2015 (30 years from 1985), we should have hover cars and hover boards... but none of those existed. We should have fusion power and can generate power cheaply by a fusion engine that can take any material as fuel. It doesn't exist....
    We should have flat screen TVs that split screen into 10 channels and can watch them at the same time. May be we have this, but its painfully implemented in such a small screen. Fruits that are provided on demand of a voice command? Not present.

On the other hand, we have a company in Boston that is building terminator robots that can autonomously move goods, and climb stairs and manipulated snowly terrain...

I don't mind playing DDO immersely in 4D... but I bet the graphics are not going to be as good as you see on your computer monitor right now.
    There are plans to have people logging their brains directly into the web by 2040. I think its called the 2040 project, but it might have been 2030, I can't remember. Apparently it is suppose to make the virtual experience real and very strange, like stepping into a computer reality that can appear like your window browser one second, and like your room the next. It involves something with implanting chips in brains... scary stuff I think! I would be afraid of such an operation for many reasons :P Games would never been the same though, because anyone that linked up could start imagining games and their ideas would convert into the processes to make it happen, so you could make your own version of anything by imagining it. As appealing as that is, Ill stick to organic dreams and online screens. Don't want chips in my head! PvP in such a place... no thanks. If my toon gets killed by some stranger I can look at my screen and laugh. If I experience some jerk jumping me from the shadows and stabbing me in virtual reality, it would get a lot more personal really quick!!! I think the idea of linking people directly to computers like this is the wrong path to evolution, in my opinion we should stay how we are and not start adding robot parts to ourselves. Robots can't evolve for organic tissue and cells... oh, my, this is too philosophical for me.. the mention of virtual reality caused it to flash through me mind, time to think about something else..

For a real experiment, try going into the brawling pits without advertising it, then see if 20 people just "show up".

Community Member

They predicted that by the year 2015 (30 years from 1985), we should have hover cars and hover boards... but none of those existed.
    Are you sure? 8)

I do not make the future. I am just commenting on the trends that I see happening. 40 years ago. A computer filled an entire floor of a building. Today we walk around one in our hands. Cell phones were unheard of. Everything that I knew from my childhood is gone. Everything you grew up with will do the same. From the cars that were driven top to even how we communicated.

Yes, there a building that have stood since I was a child. Look inside of one. The interior has changed to keep up with the what is current. Your generation will see such amazing things happen. Just as Mine has and still does. Some will be frightening. Hooking into a computer from your brain does sound frightening at first. it will be until the science is understood.

Virtual reality is in the beginning stages. Just a little pass playing Pong was for my siblings and myself. But the tech is coming along. With the talk of quantum computing coming in the not so distant future. The future will be as wondrous. As living in through seeing the advent of computing. That was science fiction not more than forty-five years ago. What ever the future may really hold. I guarantee you this. It will change everything that you know and do at the moment.

That is presuming we don't blow ourselves and the planet up... In which case. Everything will be just so much radioactive dust... I grew up with the possibility that one accidental launch of a nuke could end life. Unfortunately, you are growing up in a world of terrorists.

I can only hope that on fine day there will be no such people in the world. Unfortunately, my crystal ball is rather murky when it comes to that.

The future is happening as I write this. every moment is a step into the future. Lets remember that part of living is having fun and enjoying a game together. See you in the game. Oh if you see a h/orc dancing. Wearing a green hat with the long feathers and a swashbuckler outfit on Orien server. It will most likely be me. Give me a shout.

Google Lexus Hoverboard - produced in 2015 by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by TacoBob33 View Post
    For a real experiment, try going into the brawling pits without advertising it, then see if 20 people just "show up".
    If there was a PvP incentive system, that would advertise itself.

Now we can compare a system that has something getting people to come.

And a silent one with no appeal. And even then, when you make some noise, they come!

I do not make the future. I am just commenting on the trends that I see happening. 40 years ago. A computer filled an entire floor of a building. Today we walk around one in our hands. Cell phones were unheard of. Everything that I knew from my childhood is gone. Everything you grew up with will do the same. From the cars that were driven top to even how we communicated.

Yes, there a building that have stood since I was a child. Look inside of one. The interior has changed to keep up with the what is current. Your generation will see such amazing things happen. Just as Mine has and still does. Some will be frightening. Hooking into a computer from your brain does sound frightening at first. it will be until the science is understood.

Virtual reality is in the beginning stages. Just a little pass playing Pong was for my siblings and myself. But the tech is coming along. With the talk of quantum computing coming in the not so distant future. The future will be as wondrous. As living in through seeing the advent of computing. That was science fiction not more than forty-five years ago. What ever the future may really hold. I guarantee you this. It will change everything that you know and do at the moment.

That is presuming we don't blow ourselves and the planet up... In which case. Everything will be just so much radioactive dust... I grew up with the possibility that one accidental launch of a nuke could end life. Unfortunately, you are growing up in a world of terrorists.

I can only hope that on fine day there will be no such people in the world. Unfortunately, my crystal ball is rather murky when it comes to that.

The future is happening as I write this. every moment is a step into the future. Lets remember that part of living is having fun and enjoying a game together. See you in the game. Oh if you see a h/orc dancing. Wearing a green hat with the long feathers and a swashbuckler outfit on Orien server. It will most likely be me. Give me a shout.
    It just happens that Kworr looks like that too! But with an axe!

I'd settle for a Second Life type of thing based on a D&D campaign. VR can come along later.
    CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    Collectibles

Community Member

PvP isnt dead. It never actually was alive in DDO. Asking about PvP in DDO is same as asking for MvP in CounterStrike Neither makes sense.
    DnD isnt game mutch balanced around PvP and it doesnt have to because its not purpose of the game.
    DDO on top of that isnt balanced around PvP any more than that. Actually its even more disbalanced tovards PvP. Because it doesnt give **** about PvP and never did.
    If you looking for PvP then looing in DDO is like looking for MvP, roleplaying, chatting, questing and theorycrafting in CounterStrike.
    TavernBrawls are just that. Its not PvP ... its just brawl in a tavern.
    Jou can maybe organize some for fun brawl in a tavern and some ppl could join .. just for that fun.
    But dont expect any serious PvP, laderboards and opportunity to show ego with some gimp build specialized to PvP here.
    You must go elsewhere for that.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by tom999 View Post
    I remember the time when there were a ton of peoples at the pvp in harbor, what happened? >:

and another quotation: what are the time zones for each server? thanks
    Because just like everything else our society has moved past generalizations and jacks-of-all-trades...everything is specilization now, DDO threw in the towel on PvP a LONG time ago...
    Kehgeld of Sarlona

It was never alive. It's basically advanced Rock Paper Scissors in ddo and appeals to very few.
    DC Warlock Reaper Build (U48)
    Max DC Illusionist Reaper Build (U48)

When I tested my server to see if PvP is dead, testing proved to me it is alive.

To say it is dead is wrong.

To say no one wants to do it is wrong.

It obviously is alive and just waiting for a good incentive set up to turn PvP into its own game, still DD, but a place for PvP players to really enjoy PvP.

And I get really tried of hearing people say DnD has to be played their way, or it is anti-social and fetish or whatever.

DnD was about a game where the imagination played a big role and you where not over constrained by rules, but had enough to work out certain problems like fighting. It was a super flexibly game that anyone could do almost anything with. That made it great, not being forced to play it a one and only method.

PvP could be making money for the game. PvE could be enjoying those benefits.

DnD was PvP, PvE, and more all wrapped up into one. It was never just one and only one.

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...-maker-for-DDO!

I started this thread, I am very serious about PvP and highly offended by anyone telling me I am not allowed to want PvP! I can want whatever I want, and so can others. And we... WE want a good PvP system.

Gladiator Mode would possibly be more fun the questing...

This could make money, and be SO MUCH FUN!
    Last edited by Wonedream; 09-26-2017 at 04:10 PM.

Nope, pvp in this game is a joke and should remain a joke because it would take up too much development time to make it worthwhile for the small percentage of people this would actually interest considering so many games do pvp sooooo much better.

Quote Originally Posted by TacoBob33 View Post
    Nope, pvp in this game is a joke and should remain a joke because it would take up too much development time to make it worthwhile for the small percentage of people this would actually interest considering so many games do pvp sooooo much better.
    Not true. I already proved to myself PvP is full of life and just waiting to have a good feature to it to turn it into its own money maker for the game.

You can repeat, I can repeat... fact is lots of players show up to Lfms for PvP, and this means if there was an incentive it would certainly be full of life.

A lot of people would even play DDO JUST for the PvP and nothing else, and won't ever play it otherwise.

Your statement does not help this forum, the developers to see potentials, or make money.

My friend Sam who loves PvP saw your statement and laughed.

Unlike him, I have to respond to it so you don't go misleading everyone into thinking PvP is dead, a waste of time, a joke, and whatever JUST BECAUSE YOU feel that way about it. You are not providing an objective response, it is so subjective and the fact that people want to do PvP is the proof!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast