Default XP bonuses to rXP

In a reaper quest with a party of 6. We all got different amounts of rXP awarded even though the base rXP was listed the same. I and one other person died one time each. I received 9 rXP less than the other person that died. We were the same character level. Only thing we could see different was he had a 5% XP augment slotted, I did not.

Others in the party all got various different amounts of rXP too.

Anyone have any idea what is going on with this?
    A wise man once said that if you don't know the answer to something there is no shame in simply saying "I don't know."

Quote Originally Posted by Roland_D'Arabel View Post
    In a reaper quest with a party of 6. We all got different amounts of rXP awarded even though the base rXP was listed the same. I and one other person died one time each. I received 9 rXP less than the other person that died. We were the same character level. Only thing we could see different was he had a 5% XP augment slotted, I did not.

Others in the party all got various different amounts of rXP too.

Anyone have any idea what is going on with this?
    Reaper XP has many of the same modifications as normal XP. The base XP given at the top is the base Reaper XP of the dungeon based on its level and the skulls you chose. That should be the same for everyone. The final XP number is modified for lots of things; deaths, number of enemies killed, number of traps disarmed, number of destructibles destroyed, XP tomes, Over level penalties (larger that for normal XP), power leveling penalties, first time bonuses (larger than for normal XP), etc.

Sev~

Quote Originally Posted by Severlin View Post
    Reaper XP has many of the same modifications as normal XP. The base XP given at the top is the base Reaper XP of the dungeon based on its level and the skulls you chose. That should be the same for everyone. The final XP number is modified for lots of things; deaths, number of enemies killed, number of traps disarmed, number of destructibles destroyed, XP tomes, Over level penalties (larger that for normal XP), power leveling penalties, first time bonuses (larger than for normal XP), etc.

Sev~
    Thanks for the fast reply and the information. Time to dig out my voice of the master.
    A wise man once said that if you don't know the answer to something there is no shame in simply saying "I don't know."

Thanks for the fast reply and the information. Time to dig out my voice of the master.
    Voice didn't add 5% XP last night before the patch. Ended up testing for equipment XP bonus solely. So unless that changed in patch...

Equipment isn't supposed to add XP bonus to Reaper. It would be a good idea for @Severlin to mention that. And same with ship buffs and pots.

It would be in @Severlin's best interest to mention this. Would be in @Cordovan's best interest as it would prevent a ton of "xp fail in reaper hjalp" threads.
    Last edited by CaptainPurge; 02-04-2017 at 01:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainPurge View Post
    Voice didn't add 5% XP last night before the patch. Ended up testing for equipment XP bonus solely. So unless that changed in patch...

Equipment isn't supposed to add XP bonus to Reaper. It would be a good idea for @Severlin to mention that. And same with ship buffs and pots.

It would be in @Severlin's best interest to mention this. Would be in @Cordovan's best interest as it would prevent a ton of "xp fail in reaper hjalp" threads.
    So I am still at a loss to explain why two people with all of the same conditions received different rXP. Any thoughts? In fact of the 6 folks in the party most of us received different XP than each other.

Why would this be?

So I am still at a loss to explain why two people with all of the same conditions received different rXP. Any thoughts? In fact of the 6 folks in the party most of us received different XP than each other.

Why would this be?
    Got a different amount for the same quest as well. Would be nice to get some number about how this works including the ransack penalties and xp curve. There is already plenty of things in the game we have to figure out and even devs don't know.
    Last edited by Rys; 02-04-2017 at 10:03 AM.

Community Member

Sev~
    So are you saying that the amount of Reaper Exp is modified on an individual basis by things like enemies killed and number of traps disarmed? So the DPS and Rouge builds get more exp than the Tank and Healer?

Quote Originally Posted by Rys View Post
    Got a different amount for the same quest as well. Would be nice to get some number about how this works including the ransack penalties and xp curve. There is already plenty of things in the game we have to figure out and even devs doesn't know.
    As far as I can tell, reaper XP is based completely off of in dungeon bonuses only, and not by tomes, voices, mantles, gifts or pots.
    and this includes optionals from what I can tell as well, as I tend to see my rXP go up when I complete optionals
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyed-Pyper
    Could we get an official explanation or description of what "Reaper" is?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan
    The DM wants to kill your characters.
    awww yisss

Quote Originally Posted by kemetka View Post
    As far as I can tell, reaper XP is based completely off of in dungeon bonuses only, and not by tomes, voices, mantles, gifts or pots.
    and this includes optionals from what I can tell as well, as I tend to see my rXP go up when I complete optionals
    How comes two players in the same quest got a different amount of xp tho. I mean the difference was only 1 xp but still.

Quote Originally Posted by Rys View Post
    How comes two players in the same quest got a different amount of xp tho. I mean the difference was only 1 xp but still.
    And in my case the differences were 9 and 15, a not insignificant amount.

It's got to be aliens. 11th dimensional beings letting their presence be known by mucking about in our Reaper Experience. There is no other possible explanation.

The Hatchery
    2015 DDO Players Council
    2017-2021 PC Member

What got me was when I actually saw my rXP *drop* during the quest (without dying) - doing Tear on 2 skulls on my L13 just to try it out, I was at 22 to start and kept checking throughout the quest to see if it increased, and at some point it was suddenly 21. Eventually it crept back up and the final amount was 24, but that drop did *not* make me happy.
    "Ignorance killed the cat, sir; curiosity was framed."
    Tripoint, C.J. Cherryh

Does it store reaper exp as a non-rounded number but display it as one perhaps? That could be part of the issue. IE: You technically have 100.4 reaper exp and your friend has 100.1, both 'displayed' as "100". You are going to get 10.2 reaper exp. You will technically end up with 111 and your friend 110 (after rounding) so yours says you're going to get 11 and your friend will get 10.

That might be a contributing factor perhaps.

Tomes do seem to affect it. VIP seems to affect it as well.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/ddo
    Building a Better DDO

Community Member

Sev~
    Is there any chance the in quest XP sheet can have some work done on it for the next patch/update so that it's visible to players which things are and are not affecting reaper XP, and by how much? As currently there's very few in game sources for players to get a full accurate set of information (excluding word of mouth).

From reading the forum I know that originally players weren't going to be be able to enter reaper quests over level, but now they can but with a penalty to reaper XP. I imagine that because this was a late change that would be why the xp sheet doesn't have anything about this. So in particular, updating the display to show a reaper xp penalty for being over level (when it is active) would be one very welcome addition.

The Reaper xp total does not display until 10 monsters have been killed (I presume this is set that way because there is no reaper xp until 10 monsters have been killed). Would it be possible to make this so that there is an explicit message about this in the xp sheet (e.g. have a message like "no reaper xp is awarded unless at least 10 monsters have been killed") that appears at the start, and then is replaced by the reaper xp value once it becomes active? I ask because I seen a lot of confusions/questions from guildies and on channels about this too.

Thank you for reading.

PS the bug report tool also needs to be updated to include the reaper difficulty settings on the drop down list for difficulty
    Last edited by EmGreen; 02-04-2017 at 08:27 PM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by zehnvhex View Post
    Does it store reaper exp as a non-rounded number but display it as one perhaps? That could be part of the issue. IE: You technically have 100.4 reaper exp and your friend has 100.1, both 'displayed' as "100". You are going to get 10.2 reaper exp. You will technically end up with 111 and your friend 110 (after rounding) so yours says you're going to get 11 and your friend will get 10.

That might be a contributing factor perhaps.

Tomes do seem to affect it. VIP seems to affect it as well.
    I believe VIP does, I consistently get awarded 10% more than the display at the bottom prior to completion. Which means VIP does, but not pots, ship, and vom.

It does seem to go up and down. The down swings may be it not displaying first time daily boost? as regular xp suffers from that too.

Quote Originally Posted by Cantor View Post
    I believe VIP does, I consistently get awarded 10% more than the display at the bottom prior to completion. Which means VIP does, but not pots, ship, and vom.

It does seem to go up and down. The down swings may be it not displaying first time daily boost? as regular xp suffers from that too.
    The down swings could also be when new traps are encountered that take your bonus down from 15 to 10 until you disable them etc. Or optionals ignored and then completed?

There shouldn't be a grey area here, IMO. Yes, don't tell us what sorts of dangers etc. we will face in Reaper, but come on, the math mechanics should be made crystal clear.

Sev~
    What about xp pots or reaper streak?
    Day 1 Founder
    Main characters: Usually on Rhyes, Miniryse or Legolass
    I'm rich! filthy rich! /runs off to AH
    /cry! I'm poor! flat broke!

Lava Divers - Khyber

Community Member

VIP, XP potions, and Voice/Mantle don't increase Reaper XP - got the same RXP as party members without.

Default Dev Clarification Please

It would be great to get some further clarification on the discrepancies people are seeing in their rXP awarded.

I think it is a big mistake to allow the growth of misinformation as folks attempt to guess at what is going on here.

Can a Dev clarify things please?