Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Collectables

World Designer

Default Collectables

There has been a lot of discussing about collectables lately with the changes to Cannith Crafting. We thought it might be useful to give more details on how collectable drops have changed and what players can expect.

Let's start with what the tiers of collectables are. Collectables from clickable devices are now in 6 tiers broken up in 5 level ranges (collectables that drop from creatures will still drop as they have before). A few collectables have been moved around to flush out some of the tiers, but for the most part the old collectables drop as players would expect.

Collectables come in four different category types: Arcane, Lore, Natural, Cultural. An Arcane device of a given Tier has the chance to drop all items in that tier, same with the other categories. Backpacks/Rubble piles have the chance to drop all categories of collectables for a given tier. The tier and the collectable device are the only determination on the collectables received. They are no longer broken up into house groups.

Collectables will start showing up in non-Eberron content, with the exception of lore restricted items (such as Soarwood) and Eberron shards.

The plan is to also go back and give collectable devics to some existing content that hasn't had collectables before, such as ToEE.

Lore

• Tier 1 (Levels 1-5):
      • Common: Page torn from a Research Notebook
      • Uncommon: Khyber Prayer Pamphlet
      • Rare: Tome: Prophecies of Khyber

• Tier 2 (Levels 6-10):
      • Common: Caravan Logbook, Phoenix Tavern Purchase Order
      • Uncommon: Research Diary, 'Wavecrasher' Cargo Manifest
      • Rare: Tome: Myths of Old Xen'drik, Tome: Stormreach Imports and Exports, 857 YK

• Tier 3 (Levels 11-15):
      • Common: Runic Parchment, Romantic Sonnet
      • Uncommon: House-Sealed Letter, Silver Flame Hymnal, Scholarly Notes
      • Rare: Tome: History of the Houses, Tomes: Lost Songs of Cyre, Tomes: Codes of the Aurum

• Tier 4 (Levels 16-20):
      • Common: Cryptic Message
      • Uncommon: Academic Treatise
      • Rare: Tome: Alchemist's Chapbook

• Tier 5 (Levels 21-25):
      • Common: Mystical Formula
      • Uncommon: Warehouse LEdger
      • Rare: Encoded Communique

• Tier 6 (Levels 26+):
      • Common: Ancient Text
      • Uncommon: Archaic Logbook
      • Rare: Adventuring Oratorio

Arcane

• Tier 1:
      • Common: Amber Vial
      • Uncommon: Vial of Pure Water
      • Rare: Vial of Contagion

• Tier 2:
      • Common: Skull Fragment, Glittering Dust
      • Uncommon: Powdered Blood, Sparkling Dust
      • Rare: Intact Fingerbone, Luminescent Dust

• Tier 3:
      • Common: Ceramic Bowl, Singed Soarwood, Lodestone
      • Uncommon: Glass Phial, Charred Soarwood, Moonstone
      • Rare: Crystal Decanter, Lightning-Split Soarwood, Stellar Orb

• Tier 4:
      • Common: Blessed Candle, Ritual Candle
      • Uncommon: Silver Bowl, Vial of Heavy Water
      • Rare: Ritual Athame, Oceanic Sphere

• Tier 5:
      • Common: Mortar and Pestle
      • Uncommon: Fractured Femur
      • Rare: Prismatic Dust

• Tier 6:
      • Common: Censer
      • Uncommon: Pouch of Bone Fragments
      • Rare: Vial of Dragon's Blood Ink

Natural

• Tier 1:
      • Common: Sweet Whitecap
      • Uncommon: Deadly Feverblanch
      • Rare: Pale Creeper

• Tier 2:
      • Common: Withered Cryptmoss, Cryptmoss Worm Larva
      • Uncommon: Cryptmoss, Cryptmoss Worm
      • Rare: Lush Cryptmoss, Cryptmoss Queen

• Tier 3:
      • Common: Bruised Spore Pod, Sour Darkcap, Duskbrood Trumpeter
      • Uncommon: Intact Spore Pod, Fragrant Drowshood, Headsman Beetle
      • Rare: Flowering Spore Pod, Flowering Hellscap, Executioner Beetle

• Tier 4:
      • Common: Ruddy Fungus, Swaying Mushroom Cluster
      • Uncommon: Bloodfeast Fungus, Swaying Mushroom Spore Pod
      • Rare: Sanguine Moth, Glowmoss Clump

• Tier 5:
      • Common: Slime Mold, Zygomycota Fungus
      • Uncommon: Glowmoss Spores, Blister Beetle
      • Rare: Scarlet Cryptmoss

• Tier 6:
      • Common: Crypt Moth
      • Uncommon: Hairy Trumpet
      • Rare: Shimmering Spore Pod

Cultural

• Tier 1:
      • Common: String of Prayer Beads,
      • Uncommon: Small Wooden Idol
      • Rare: Icon of Khyber

• Tier 2:
      • Common: Blade of the Dark Six, Funerary Token
      • Uncommon: Signet of The Devourer, Mark of The Keeper
      • Rare: Shamanic Totem, Necromantic Gem

• Tier 3:
      • Common: Amulet of the Lost Empire, Small Planar Crystal
      • Uncommon: Amulet of the Six, Planar Spoor
      • Rare: Amulet of the Archbishop

• Tier 4:
      • Common: Chipped Bone Talisman
      • Uncommon: Ivory Scorpion Icon, Polished Ore
      • Rare: Tear of Vulkoor, Elemental Ingot

• Tier 5:
      • Common: Smoldering Ember
      • Uncommon: Stone Fetish
      • Rare: Planar Talisman

• Tier 6:
      • Common: Flint Knife
      • Uncommon: Ornate Charm
      • Rare: Token of the Spinner

Thank you for this post. Should help alleviate some concerns and sheds light on another aspect (wiki thanks you!)

Community Member changelingamuck's Avatar

Default Collectibles Bonus Days?

I did mention this in another thread, but I would like to suggest having Collectibles Bonus Days. Bonus days in which collectible dispensers provide additional collectible output or when rare collectibles drops would be more common.

Currently a goodly percentage of the Bound Effect Shards recipes use 5 uncommon collectables in Tier 2 and Tier 3. Are you expecting capped characters to have to farm this content to find the collectables they need to craft level 30+ gear?

Quote Originally Posted by UurlockYgmeov View Post
    Thank you for this post. Should help alleviate some concerns and sheds light on another aspect (wiki thanks you!)
    While it's nice to have more information, I'm not sure what concerns you think this is alleviating.

People who are unhappy that more collectibles are being added won't be any less unhappy just because they'll now know the level range(s) in which said collectibles will drop.
    Cap, Ascendance, Cannith
    Capricorpus / Capiorcorpus

Quote Originally Posted by changelingamuck View Post
    I did mention this in another thread, but I would like to suggest having Collectibles Bonus Days. Bonus days in which collectible dispensers provide additional collectible output or when rare collectibles drops would be more common.
    I'd soooo love that. I cannot pass by any sparkling mold without clicking it, kind of ocd that way, and getting two instead of one once in a while would be awesome for bonus days or something. however, on it's own it would probably be very weak for bonus days, so maybe throw it in with the crafting XP bonus days?

2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by NoWorries View Post
    There has been a lot of discussing about collectables lately with the changes to Cannith Crafting. We thought it might be useful to give more details on how collectable drops have changed and what players can expect.
    Are collectible turn-ins staying the same?
    Quote Originally Posted by ProducerRowan View Post
    Our final update of 2014 will extend the level cap to 30, which is intended to be DDO’s “permanent” level cap

Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Matsu_Ieyasu View Post
    Currently a goodly percentage of the Bound Effect Shards recipes use 5 uncommon collectables in Tier 2 and Tier 3. Are you expecting capped characters to have to farm this content to find the collectables they need to craft level 30+ gear?
    This is my biggest concern with level tiered collectibles. They would make more sense in crafting the ML shards.

Running a level 5 quest to make a level 5 item makes sense, running a level 5 quest to make a level 30 item does not.

Quote Originally Posted by Capricorpus View Post
    While it's nice to have more information, I'm not sure what concerns you think this is alleviating.

People who are unhappy that more collectibles are being added won't be any less unhappy just because they'll now know the level range(s) in which said collectibles will drop.
    concerns about artifically rare collectibles being used

and

http://ddowiki.com/page/Talk:Cannith...2#Collectables

and

"you can please all the players some or the time, some of the players all of the time, and none of the players all the time"

World Designer

Quote Originally Posted by Matsu_Ieyasu View Post
    That is one approach. Another is to trade with other players as it gives players of all levels useful tradeable goods.

That would be an excellent solution for crafting needs, IMHO.

Community Member

An Arcane device of a given Tier has the chance to drop all items in that tier, same with the other categories. Backpacks/Rubble piles have the chance to drop all categories of collectables for a given tier. The tier and the collectable device are the only determination on the collectables received. They are no longer broken up into house groups.
    ok i don't understand this rework. with this new split up between levels it should be harder to get the lower level rare ingredients, since you don't spend as much time in that level range, right?
    the removal of the house-kategories.. well. the system was there, so i don't get why it was removed, but the new categories seem to be better sorting overall.

i don't like the level restriction on specific collectables. thats not a good idea.

...[snip]

Let's start with what the tiers of collectables are. Collectables from clickable devices are now in 6 tiers broken up in 5 level ranges (collectables that drop from creatures will still drop as they have before). A few collectables have been moved around to flush out some of the tiers, but for the most part the old collectables drop as players would expect. ... [snip]
    Excellent chart... bookmarking this for sure. I have a couple of clarification questions:

> Treasure Bags. Same as an adventurer's pack or rubble (at least when they aren't pre-determined to drop Antique Bronze Tokens or the like)?
    > For the "level" determination: is this the base level of the adventure, run at normal level?

In other words, consider Desecrated Temple of Vol... Heroic Normal level is 14...Tier 3. Heroic Epic level is 16... Tier 4. Can you then get Tier 3 and 4 collectibles from this quest or is it strictly based upon the Normal quest level? (I will assume that Epic levels re-compute as a different quest).

ALSO: While you're at it, could y'all maybe fix treasure bags that drop but can't be retrieved so that they can be picked up?

Community Member

That is one approach. Another is to trade with other players as it gives players of all levels useful tradeable goods.
    dislike!
    i like that you want to give collectables more value, but restricting it level-wise is not the right way to do it.
    the ML effects of the cannith shards should be associated to the collectables needed. means that you'd need level 1-5 collectables if you try to craft a ML 1-5 weapon and higher level collectables if you craft a higher ML shard
    not the other way round!
    or just leave the system like it is now, that you can get all collectibles at any level
    Last edited by Lanadazia; 08-24-2016 at 01:44 PM.

We thought it might be useful to give more details on how collectable drops have changed and what players can expect. *snip*
    Very much appreciated, thank you. Sincerely appreciate you going back to quests that didn't have collectible nodes and adding them. One question just to double check, are the drop rates of small/med/large eberron dragon shards remaining the same (assuming eberron content only)?

Great idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Nyata View Post
    I'd soooo love that. I cannot pass by any sparkling mold without clicking it, kind of ocd that way, and getting two instead of one once in a while would be awesome for bonus days or something. however, on it's own it would probably be very weak for bonus days, so maybe throw it in with the crafting XP bonus days?
    I also have collectible OCD... although my hubby refers to it as sparkly-MUST-HAVE-weakness or Magpie disorder which is technically incorrect (according to ornithology) but oh well. Do crafting XP bonus days still exist? I can't remember seeing that bonus in a long time.
    Blood Scented Axe Body Spray (Thelanis)
    Aelonwy - Wydavir - Metaluscious - Aertimys - Phantastique - Kaelaria - Lunaura - Aelurawynn - Saurscha - Crystalorn - Aurvaeyn - Vaelyns - Wyllowynd

Quote Originally Posted by Aelonwy View Post
    Do crafting XP bonus days still exist? I can't remember seeing that bonus in a long time.
    This was mentioned to Cordovan during a very recent livestream, and IIRC - they still do. Was mentioned that the week of U32 going live should be a bonus crafting xp week - he liked that idea.

Quote Originally Posted by UurlockYgmeov View Post
    This was mentioned to Cordovan during a very recent livestream, and IIRC - they still do. Was mentioned that the week of U32 going live should be a bonus crafting xp week - he liked that idea.
    Interesting, and very appropriate. Thank you.
    Blood Scented Axe Body Spray (Thelanis)
    Aelonwy - Wydavir - Metaluscious - Aertimys - Phantastique - Kaelaria - Lunaura - Aelurawynn - Saurscha - Crystalorn - Aurvaeyn - Vaelyns - Wyllowynd

Let's start with what the tiers of collectables are. Collectables from clickable devices are now in 6 tiers broken up in 5 level ranges (collectables that drop from creatures will still drop as they have before). A few collectables have been moved around to flush out some of the tiers, but for the most part the old collectables drop as players would expect.

Collectables come in four different category types: Arcane, Lore, Natural, Cultural. An Arcane device of a given Tier has the chance to drop all items in that tier, same with the other categories. Backpacks/Rubble piles have the chance to drop all categories of collectables for a given tier. The tier and the collectable device are the only determination on the collectables received. They are no longer broken up into house groups.

Collectables will start showing up in non-Eberron content, with the exception of lore restricted items (such as Soarwood) and Eberron shards.

The plan is to also go back and give collectable devics to some existing content that hasn't had collectables before, such as ToEE.

The only issue with this, is that you have to run low end content in order to find some of those - and to be honest it's not something I've done for years. I get what you're trying to do here and I agree to some extent but by making certain content hinge on level brackets you will end up making high end chars wasting time running pointless quests for mats, instead of picking up mats while running content anyways. It's not a very good system when it feels like it's not a natural part of what you're doing anyways. At least with essences you simply crunch stuff that you're getting from chests - higher level stuff gives more essences. Makes sense.

My suggestion is that down the line you also provide a small chance to get a random mat from any tier when you crunch an item. That way it can be a better part of a natural grind, than an artificial one just to find specific mat. Because I can tell you right now that I'm not looking forward to wasting my time grinding low end content, eventho I look forward to crafting. It just makes no sense.

Community Member changelingamuck's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Krelar View Post
    Running a level 5 quest to make a level 5 item makes sense, running a level 5 quest to make a level 30 item does not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanadazia View Post
    i don't like the level restriction on specific collectables. thats not a good idea.
    I also think that the quest level ranges for which collectibles drop in which quests should be eliminated.

I would say just base what collectibles are produced by what dispensers on their category type alone. Keep the frequency categories of Common, Uncommon, and Rare; but all of the arcane collectibles would have a chance of dropping from an arcane dispenser, all of the natural collectibles would have a chance of dropping from a natural dispenser, and so on (regardless of the quest's level in which the collectible dispenser is found).

This would make it more difficult to 'farm' for specific collectibles; but it would mean that players would be collecting all of the collectibles regardless of the level range of content they are running. Really, who wants to farm for collectibles anyways? The level range differentiated drop system is going to create a weird little economy encouraging players to run over-level characters through low-level quests dashing from one collectible dispenser to the next over and over and over in order to sell them on the ASAH. Does anybody actually want to do that though? Does it sound fun? I would say no.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyata View Post
    I pick everything from bags to shelves. It's just part of my routine. Doing low end quests because I need 5 of something is not part of that. Now hopefully I have most of those mats already but the idea is quirky.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast