Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Mystical Dried Fish

Or whatever. Do these still have a role in the crafting? I didn't see any.
    Kimmeh--Lehren--Natheme--Arekkeh--Daiahn--Yesminde
    Join Magefire Cannon on Thelanis!
    Follow PB on Twitch!
    PB's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoBlonde View Post
    Or whatever. Do these still have a role in the crafting? I didn't see any.
    LoL you are right! We should be able to trade these for PEDS or maybe even a stack of collectibles from the adjoining house!
    G-land, Balistas Magicas, Bashukar Bloodaxe, Kobur Curse of Dragon, Necromatix

I checked also and didn't see any. It seems the recipe for bta is always a common collectible x15, uncommon x5, essences and for some bonus items 5 peds.
    DC Warlock Reaper Build (U48)
    Max DC Illusionist Reaper Build (U48)

Quote Originally Posted by RD2play View Post
    LoL you are right! We should be able to trade these for PEDS or maybe even a stack of collectibles from the adjoining house!
    That's an excellent suggestion. +1
    Follow PB on Twitch!
    PB's Youtube Channel

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by UurlockYgmeov View Post
    It was used for DUSK, and I believe (IIRC AFAIK YMMV) that Dusk is still coming...
    Yeah, they could still shoehorn those things into static effect shards.

If not, a trade in for PEDs would also be a good idea and allow them to stay in game as a way of farming them, with as many as the new system can use.

Quote Originally Posted by Gremmlynn View Post
    Yeah, they could still shoehorn those things into static effect shards.

If not, a trade in for PEDs would also be a good idea and allow them to stay in game as a way of farming them, with as many as the new system can use.
    More things to trade in for PEDs is going to be pretty much essential. Or higher drop rates.

Much though I am dismayed by the quantities of PEDs which will apparently be needed, I'm trying (I'm trying hard) not to be too doomy about it - we don't actually know whether the drop rates of small/medium/large fragments (or other currently rare collectibles) is going to change any due to the new collectible level tiering, do we?

It may be for example that certain rare collectibles appear in multiple tiers rather than just appearing throughout one particular level range - but then count as different rarities depending on what range you're in (e.g. maybe soarwood appears in Tier 1 as very rare, Tier 3 as rare and Tier 5 as... well, not common, but maybe 'less rare').

Would that be a good set up? I'm not sure. But it would be good to find out. Would like to hear more about the collectible tiering in general, actually, and how or if those tiers tie in with what crafting recipes use them in terms of crafting level and recipe tier.

I mean, we don't know which of these is true (if either):

• high level play is encouraged over low level play, because more widely useful/desirable recipes require higher crafting level and require higher tier collectibles (which are dungeon level gated)?

Or

• hunting collectibles at certain level ranges is encouraged, because the tier of collectible is not as important to higher level recipes as rarity?

I'd prefer the second because it would seem to encourage TRing and thus in theory LFMs across the level ranges, although clearly there's nothing stopping you collectible farming low level quests with high level characters.

In any case, I wonder if any of that was part of the design consideration, and if so, how?
    Last edited by dunklezhan; 08-15-2016 at 06:51 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    The best of the best DDO players generally overperform when given a real challenge
    Quote Originally Posted by Amundir View Post
    My words are great. Even out of context.

Community Member

I agree, this is a great idea. All of these old bta crafting ingredients should be in the barter for peds or random collectible box. I have quite a few magic broccoli.

IIRC all of these are in packs not f2p, so they are gated and require a quest chain run (except vale ones) so not farm-able too quickly/easily. Seems like a good idea. Also it'd be nice to see peds in saga rewards or even better skill tome trade in.
    Last edited by Cantor; 08-15-2016 at 08:33 AM.

yes please at least make these exchangeable. Or maybe it's the mystical stuff that should be used for high level recipes instead of newly invented collectibles.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by dunklezhan View Post
    More things to trade in for PEDs is going to be pretty much essential. Or higher drop rates.

Much though I am dismayed by the quantities of PEDs which will apparently be needed, I'm trying (I'm trying hard) not to be too doomy about it - we don't actually know whether the drop rates of small/medium/large fragments (or other currently rare collectibles) is going to change any due to the new collectible level tiering, do we?
    Well there's tokens of the twelve to trade in, and a wider variety of tome trade-in options, so I don't think it will be too bad to acquire more PEDs. This gives more of a use for my hundreds of tokens of the twelve - but I appreciate that for others who are newer or TR more aggressively they won't have much of a stock.

I'm hopeful about collectibles being added to new quests now too after being abandoned for so long, not having any collectibles is one of the things that has made many recent quests (especially TOEE) feel so very lifeless, so that's something I'm feeling quite positive about with this new system.
    Nistafa on Khyber

World Designer

It is planned for at least some of the special collectable ingredients to be used with the non-scaling effects. You won't see this on the next lamannia as what ingredients should go where is still being looked into.

Quote Originally Posted by NoWorries View Post
    It is planned for at least some of the special collectable ingredients to be used with the non-scaling effects. You won't see this on the next lamannia as what ingredients should go where is still being looked into.
    Thank you for the update. Is there any reason for me to hold on to over 200k syberys and khyber dragonshards? They don't see to have any use in the new crafting.
    DC Warlock Reaper Build (U48)
    Max DC Illusionist Reaper Build (U48)

Quote Originally Posted by Elfishski View Post
    Well there's tokens of the twelve to trade in, and a wider variety of tome trade-in options, so I don't think it will be too bad to acquire more PEDs. This gives more of a use for my hundreds of tokens of the twelve - but I appreciate that for others who are newer or TR more aggressively they won't have much of a stock.
    I didn't think skill tomes could be used? On live already you can trade in upgrade tomes, so in what way has it expanded?

Either way:

Tokens: epic only. Doesn't help someone who wants gear whilst they level unless they have epic characters to farm tokens with. This is useless for new players.

Tomes: New players don't have these. They don't seem to drop anymore except from daily dice and sagas, and those are skill tomes. Useless to new players without dropping some cash.

Lowest saga is 3BC and sentinels, both paid for packs so again, for the really new player this is essentially a paywall. I have no problem with people paying to support the game, obviously but F2P doesn't work like that. You have to get them in through some kind of free route, then they want more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    The best of the best DDO players generally overperform when given a real challenge
    Quote Originally Posted by Amundir View Post
    My words are great. Even out of context.

You are aware that recipes below level 175 don't use dragonshards, right?

By the time someone has accumulated enough essences to level crafting that far, they're not a "new player" any more.
    Follow PB on Twitch!
    PB's Youtube Channel

2016, 2018 Player Council Member Ziindarax's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NoWorries View Post
    Will you be able to do something about addressing the need for so many collectibles for the lowest levels? From what I've been gathering and hearing, it seems that your system rather disfavors new players. :/ I can see needing collectibles for the more powerful stuff, but the weakest, too? I vote no.
    Ziind Stargazer - Level 12 fighter/6 Barbarian/2 rogue Half-Orc (Neutral Good) - Formerly a level 20 Paladin Human - Orien

Fernian Summer Carnival

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by dunklezhan View Post
    I didn't think skill tomes could be used? On live already you can trade in upgrade tomes, so in what way has it expanded?

Either way:

Tokens: epic only. Doesn't help someone who wants gear whilst they level unless they have epic characters to farm tokens with. This is useless for new players.

Tomes: New players don't have these. They don't seem to drop anymore except from daily dice and sagas, and those are skill tomes. Useless to new players without dropping some cash.

Lowest saga is 3BC and sentinels, both paid for packs so again, for the really new player this is essentially a paywall. I have no problem with people paying to support the game, obviously but F2P doesn't work like that. You have to get them in through some kind of free route, then they want more.
    I read that tomes up to +5 can now be traded in, and maybe other upgrade tomes than just +1 to +2 which I think is all that can be traded on live, not sure? For characters with +5 supreme already, that's not bad.

Yep, absolutely fair comments regarding new players. But overall I think everything about the system and the ingredients needed says that this is intended to be something that players can use after they have a few lives under their belt and are looking for something else to do. If I think back to my first life I certainly had enough content and finding of loot in chests that were upgraded to what meagre stuff I had that I really didn't have any interest in exploring raiding, crafting, special events like crystal cove, etc. Maybe it's okay to not worry too much about the new player experience with cannith crafting? Hopefully there are a few easy low level recipes, so that a new player can get involved and make themselves a ring of water breathing or something without it being a crippling investment, but it probably doesn't have to be suited to a new player doing everything on their first life?
    Nistafa on Khyber

Default Oh ya!

Quote Originally Posted by slarden View Post
    Thank you for the update. Is there any reason for me to hold on to over 200k syberys and khyber dragonshards? They don't see to have any use in the new crafting.
    I thought something was missing from the new crafting. Ya, why aren't the orange and purple dragonshards being used any longer?
    That's not lag, it's just DDO trying to become turn-based again.
    Feature wishlist: colour-coded HP bars; red/blue teams in raids; rez-timer in party menu

Bug report form link

Quote Originally Posted by Elfishski View Post
    Hopefully there are a few easy low level recipes, so that a new player can get involved and make themselves a ring of water breathing or something without it being a crippling investment, but it probably doesn't have to be suited to a new player doing everything on their first life?
    There are a fair number of accessible recipes--most of the people doing the testing already had established crafters so they didn't spend much time on the easy stuff. I know I didn't look at it all that thoroughly.

I think that Tokens of the Twelve will be the predominant way to get PEDs. I mean, heck, I don't farm them much and I turn them in for hearts all the time and my bank still looks like this:

Yeah, they're not tradeable, but you can always invite someone to jump in a quest at the end to loot the Epic Chest and pass them your tokens, so it's not IMPOSSIBLE to recompense people this way.
    Follow PB on Twitch!
    PB's Youtube Channel

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ziindarax View Post
    Will you be able to do something about addressing the need for so many collectibles for the lowest levels? From what I've been gathering and hearing, it seems that your system rather disfavors new players. :/ I can see needing collectibles for the more powerful stuff, but the weakest, too? I vote no.
    The problem is, that outside of a few static, "non-scaling", effects, the lowest level and highest level shards are the same shards.

Quote Originally Posted by Gremmlynn View Post
    The problem is, that outside of a few static, "non-scaling", effects, the lowest level and highest level shards are the same shards.
    I think this means lowest-level in terms of the level of crafting you need to be able to make them successfully, not the level of item produced.
    Follow PB on Twitch!
    PB's Youtube Channel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast