Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Has Conjure Bolts been changed?

Just TR'd into an artificer (from an artificer) and my conjure bolts now only makes +1 bolts instead of the +6 that I was getting before. I have 13 artificer levels (iconic), so these should be at +4 right? The in-game spell description doesn't mention giving bolts with a higher bonus at higher caster level though.

Community Member

My iconic with 13 Artificer levels conjures +4 bolts. My level 5 pure Artificer conjures +2 bolts.

Default Crossbow usually does more anyway

Quote Originally Posted by guises View Post
    Just TR'd into an artificer (from an artificer) and my conjure bolts now only makes +1 bolts instead of the +6 that I was getting before. I have 13 artificer levels (iconic), so these should be at +4 right? The in-game spell description doesn't mention giving bolts with a higher bonus at higher caster level though.
    The bonus does go up based on Caster level. However, most of the time the number doesn't matter, as the bonus from the bolts is less than the bonus from the weapon, and since both are enhancement bonus' only the higher applies.

The only time that the bolt can work is if you created a bunch of +6s, left them in your inventory when you TR'd, and then pulled them out as needed so your level 1, +1 crossbow would be using +6 bolts.

Community Member

Here, this is what I'm talking about. +1 bolts despite my level and nothing in the spell description which says that they increase with level:

Just checked, my arti's conjure bolts description is as normal, ie increasing bolts with levels and it works as it should.

Log out and back in?

dumb question, but are you casting from a scroll or from you?

Community Member

Logging out and logging back in doesn't change anything.

I am not casting from a scroll... it occurs to me though that with this character I learned the spell from a scroll rather than taking it at level up. I haven't done that before...

Okay, a little testing suggests that this is indeed the problem. When I start a character and take the spell at level-up it functions as normal, but when I learn the spell from a scroll it stays at +1 forever.

I am not casting from a scroll... it occurs to me though that with this character I learned the spell from a scroll rather than taking it at level up. I haven't done that before...

Okay, a little testing suggests that this is indeed the problem. When I start a character and take the spell at level-up it functions as normal, but when I learn the spell from a scroll it stays at +1 forever.

That is intriguing.
    CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    Collectibles

Community Member

Update: I just leveled and realized that conjure bolts was still available for me to select as a level one spell. So I took it. Now I have two Conjure Bolts spells in my spellbook, one gives me +1 bolts and the other gives me +5. I guess the scroll version is just a different spell with the same name.

Founder

Update: I just leveled and realized that conjure bolts was still available for me to select as a level one spell. So I took it. Now I have two Conjure Bolts spells in my spellbook, one gives me +1 bolts and the other gives me +5. I guess the scroll version is just a different spell with the same name.
    That is very strange - I wonder if the devs intended to have 2 different versions of that spell in-game.

Community Manager

Quote Originally Posted by HAL View Post
    That is very strange - I wonder if the devs intended to have 2 different versions of that spell in-game.
    Yes and no. A bit of history on this one:

For a long time the Conjure Bolts scroll simply failed to conjure bolts. The reason it was broken was that the scroll was unable to scale the enhancement bonus of the bolts based on the caster's level. We fixed this bug by having the Conjure Bolts scroll only conjure +1 bolts. The current bug is that if you learn Conjure Bolts on your Artificer from the scroll, you're getting the scroll version of Conjure Bolts instead of the Artificer spell version.

Unfortunately, though, while this is a bug, it - probably - doesn't rise to a level that beats out other bugs we need to fix. "Most" artificers learn Conjure Bolts during leveling, and "most" players tend to get their enhancement bonus from the weapon rather than the ammunition. So, for "most" people, this really isn't much of an issue. This is an issue, though, for people who learn Conjure Bolts on their Artificer through the scroll and depend on the ammunition's enhancement bonus rather than the (typically higher) enhancement bonus on the weapon. The "solution" is to either pick the spell during level up, or get your bonus from the crossbow itself.
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter YouTube
    Join us on Twitch!
    Hello from Standing Stone Games! Facebook Twitter
    For Support: https://help.standingstonegames.com

Intergalactic Space Crusader
    Treasure Hunter

Thumbs up Ty!

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post

For a long time the Conjure Bolts scroll simply failed to conjure bolts. The reason it was broken was that the scroll was unable to scale the enhancement bonus of the bolts based on the caster's level. We fixed this bug by having the Conjure Bolts scroll only conjure +1 bolts. The current bug is that if you learn Conjure Bolts on your Artificer from the scroll, you're getting the scroll version of Conjure Bolts instead of the Artificer spell version.

Unfortunately, though, while this is a bug, it - probably - doesn't rise to a level that beats out other bugs we need to fix. "Most" artificers learn Conjure Bolts during leveling, and "most" players tend to get their enhancement bonus from the weapon rather than the ammunition. So, for "most" people, this really isn't much of an issue. This is an issue, though, for people who learn Conjure Bolts on their Artificer through the scroll and depend on the ammunition's enhancement bonus rather than the (typically higher) enhancement bonus on the weapon. The "solution" is to either pick the spell during level up, or get your bonus from the crossbow itself.
    TYVM for the explanation.

Correct, you don't get both +, just whichever one is higher. The Double Xbow beats out the +1 bolt, so nothing to worry about. This is also explained in a DDO splash screen (you only get the higher + bolt or xbow).

This is why it's fun to splash one level of arty for bolt users since it doesn't matter that you only get +1 on the bolt, since you will be using xbows with the higher +. I know you don't get the capstone by splashing 1 level of arty for Conjure Bolts. I'm just lazy and don't want to fletch them or use other methods for bolts like Flame Arrow/Bolt scrolls. Too bad we arties/rouges, etc. don't have a quiver in game like the Quivering Quiver.

Default Noted on wiki.

Thank you sir for the explanation of why it happens, I've added this information to the [[Conjure Bolts]] page on wiki. I'll also note it on the other various related pages (like the [[Artificer]] and [[Artificer spells]] pages).
    Now with real 100% closing.

2015 DDO Players Council Seikojin's Avatar

#lag
    I say that because now a data component of a character contains a bad piece of data. When that code is deprecated, it can invalidate some characters who learned via scroll. And healthchecks will complain until servers crash.

Intergalactic Space Crusader
    Treasure Hunter

Default Gj!

Quote Originally Posted by Shoemaker View Post
    Thank you sir for the explanation of why it happens, I've added this information to the [[Conjure Bolts]] page on wiki. I'll also note it on the other various related pages (like the [[Artificer]] and [[Artificer spells]] pages).
    Adding Cordovan's post top the Conjure Bolts looks great!

The splash screen has great text as well for the +1 on bolt V. + on Xbow. Maybe I can find a screenie...

Maybe add it to the rare scrolls list, since that's place likely to be the most helpful.

Technically, the spell version can't be inscribed from a scroll, so it kinda-sorta qualifies for the rare scroll list anyway.

Founder

Thank you for updating the Wiki.

2017 DDO Players Council Starla70's Avatar

Thanks for updating all of us on this. I only have one artie and there was no difference that this point. Still good to know.
    Argonnessen main server/Kachinna, Dannu, KKenzi, Shanahann, Kaystrra, Fnorr, and Kyliestar toons

Your Dice really do hate you.

Default Rare scroll list

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    Maybe add it to the rare scrolls list, since that's place likely to be the most helpful.

Technically, the spell version can't be inscribed from a scroll, so it kinda-sorta qualifies for the rare scroll list anyway.
    Done.
    Now with real 100% closing.

The Hatchery
    2015 DDO Players Council
    2017-2021 PC Member

Quote Originally Posted by Livmo View Post
    Adding Cordovan's post top the Conjure Bolts looks great!

The splash screen has great text as well for the +1 on bolt V. + on Xbow. Maybe I can find a screenie...
    IIRC, there's a page on the wiki somewhere with all the tips on the splashscreens.

And, indeed, IRC! Loading Screen Tips

Edit: You're looking for #157:

Tip #157: Ranged weapons (crossbows and bows) and arrows with the same magic enhancements do not stack. If you have a +1 bow and +1 arrows, you only get a +1 enhancement total. Different magic enhancements, howev
    "Ignorance killed the cat, sir; curiosity was framed."
    Tripoint, C.J. Cherryh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast