Default Does MRR reduce trap damage?

I ask since I can't log in to test it myself. Essentially, if an armored character without evasion runs through a trap, does he/she take less damage from it due to MRR?

Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by HatsuharuZ View Post
    I ask since I can't log in to test it myself. Essentially, if an armored character without evasion runs through a trap, does he/she take less damage from it due to MRR?
    I wouldn't think so but will try to test it.

Beware the Sleepeater

Hero
    Reaperbait

Quote Originally Posted by HatsuharuZ View Post
    I would assume that it depends on the trap.

I don't think an acid trap in older content constitutes magic damage.

But I would assume that it should work against spell wards in the newer content.
    The Fockers of Argo
    LOOON (Rogue); Reaperbait (Warlock); Eatuhdiq (Sorc); Fuglymofo (Barbarian)
    Buttscracher (Arty), Hobaggin (Druid)

Community Member

Yes, it should reduce the damage. Such as explosive fire trap damage, electrical trap damage. Just like how protection from elements mass (magical resistance) will reduce trap damage, Mrr should do the same. Mrr is the system that will go vs Evasion

However, I need to test it. I'll post it here once I done so.

Community Member

I assumed so without verifying, but stepping into Swiped Signet, the numbers with MRR are significantly and consistently lower, and I'm satisfied it applies against traps:
    I Cannith-craft (150 levels in all schools) for free on Thelanis if you provide all needed materials.
    Getting Past Traps without Trap Skills | Musical Musings

Magical Resistance Rating (MRR) should work vs. traps and most other damage sources (not just spells). If you are wielding a heavy or tower shield, your MRR values are considered doubled against damage that can be halved with a Reflex save (whether traps or spells).

Community Member

MRR claims to reduce damage from a list of types, and as far as I know (not far at all) this is exactly what it does; It doesn't matter what the source of the damage is, only the type of the damage, in much the same way that PRR can reduce the damage from spells that deal piercing, slashing, or bludgeoning damage. If this holds true then MRR would help against many traps, but not against physical traps (PRR applies) or force traps (MRR doesn't cover the force type). It's really more of an Energy Resistance Rating, but I guess ERR would be a weird abbreviation.

Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    Magical Resistance Rating (MRR) should work vs. traps and most other damage sources (not just spells). If you are wielding a heavy or tower shield, your MRR values are considered doubled against damage that can be halved with a Reflex save (whether traps or spells).
    That's good to know. Thanks for the reply!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    I thought so, thanks for the reply

Well ya it would against magic. But a pair of blades of any kind show up and the evasion less better be sporting a very great deal of PRR.
    Through avarice, evil smiles; through insanity, it sings.

Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by goodspeed View Post
    Well ya it would against magic. But a pair of blades of any kind show up and the evasion less better be sporting a very great deal of PRR.
    Ok what is a good deal of PRR? Over 200?

Beware the Sleepeater

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Uska View Post
    Ok what is a good deal of PRR? Over 200?
    That is overkill for most characters, id say a non melee is still good at 80-100, melee with 120-150 is alright. Tanky types will want 200ish.

Since my THF FVS17/FTR3 can reach 150 with some gear slots dedicated to it, no ED bonus either. Any heavy S&B character will have no issue aiming for that number without any specialized gear, maybe a guardians ring and thats it.

Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by janave View Post
    That is overkill for most characters, id say a non melee is still good at 80-100, melee with 120-150 is alright. Tanky types will want 200ish.

Since my THF FVS17/FTR3 can reach 150 with some gear slots dedicated to it, no ED bonus either. Any heavy S&B character will have no issue aiming for that number without any specialized gear, maybe a guardians ring and thats it.
    Right now I have 200 PRR and 100 MRR I need to try some EE's as I haven't been playing my paladin and see how it goes

Beware the Sleepeater