Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Devs, is risia adding to ML WAI?

Currently on lammania, risia rituals now (for the first time ever) add to the ML of items.

Is this WAI?

Which risia effects did you try to add? Spell power will influence min level for example due to the spell power itself and not because of risia.

Icy burst adds +4 ML to weapons. (From here.)

Lots of rage is starting to brew; if this isn't WAI maybe a heads up would be good.

Was this applied to a randomly generated item or to an item that was "craftable" (i.e. had been disjuncted at some point)

Risia has never been able to be applied to crafted gear, which is considered "named" by the risia altar. Challenge gear is also "named" so tier 3 ones with the craftable property wouldn't be risia-able either.

Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    Icy burst adds +4 ML to weapons. (From here.)

Lots of rage is starting to brew; if this isn't WAI maybe a heads up would be good.
    The OP in that thread has never clarified whether he actually made an item or just looked at the recipe descriptions.

A lot of things using the new crafting interface list ML increases even though they actually don't happen. I suspect this is what is really going on and that once someone bothers to actually craft an item there will be no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Tolero View Post
    Which risia effects did you try to add? Spell power will influence min level for example due to the spell power itself and not because of risia.
    It didn't do this before. Of course before it had a spell level it affected, so it was limited by the level of the caster that way. But for the brief period when it was changed to spell power, and was still there at all, it didn't raise min level, like it didn't when it specifically affected a range of spell levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Krelar View Post
    The OP in that thread has never clarified whether he actually made an item or just looked at the recipe descriptions.

A lot of things using the new crafting interface list ML increases even though they actually don't happen. I suspect this is what is really going on and that once someone bothers to actually craft an item there will be no problems.
    perhaps, but confirmation one way or the other would be nice...

Grrr, if that's the case i'll slap him SO hard!

Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Azithoth View Post
    perhaps, but confirmation one way or the other would be nice...
    We have this now:

Quote Originally Posted by Feather_of_Sun View Post
    No changes whatsoever have been made to the Frost/Icy Burst Risia recipes.

I suspect that you're all getting worked up over what happens when you put it on an item that is Craftable.
    Remember guys: The level requirement of a Craftable item is automatically adjusted based on the Enhancement Value of the effects on it. Nothing new here.
    Only way to get more confirmation is for someone to actually go and do it posting screen shots of the results.

We have this now:

Only way to get more confirmation is for someone to actually go and do it posting screen shots of the results.
    oh, thanks. did not see that yet

Quote Originally Posted by FestusHood View Post
    It didn't do this before. Of course before it had a spell level it affected, so it was limited by the level of the caster that way. But for the brief period when it was changed to spell power, and was still there at all, it didn't raise min level, like it didn't when it specifically affected a range of spell levels.
    Can you clarify "for a brief period"? As far as I'm aware spell power did not exist until MOTU and the ice games have not been run since before MOTU. Plus any changes that would have happened to items would already be reflected in the live servers since the last time we patched in preparation for ice games was U16P1 (and technically you could say "the" most recent build would include the hotfix, but again, the changes would already be visible).

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tolero View Post
    Can you clarify "for a brief period"? As far as I'm aware spell power did not exist until MOTU and the ice games have not been run since before MOTU. Plus any changes that would have happened to items would already be reflected in the live servers since the last time we patched in preparation for ice games was U16P1 (and technically you could say "the" most recent build would include the hotfix, but again, the changes would already be visible).
    I believe the "brief period" would be in reference to the short time between the launch of MotU, which converted these effects to spell power, and their subsequent removal from items.

Festival Glaciation mutations will only adjust an item's Minimum Level if the item's level is below what is appropriate for the amount of Spell Power you are placing on it.

The relationship of single-element Spell Power totals to Minimum Level progression is as follows:

In other words, if you find a randomly-generated weapon in treasure that has Spell Power on it, it will have the amount of Spell Power listed below that matches it's Minimum Level.

30 Spell Power - No Minimum Level/Minimum Level 1
    36 Spell Power - Minimum Level 2
    42 Spell Power - Minimum Level 4
    48 Spell Power - Minimum Level 6
    54 Spell Power - Minimum Level 8
    60 Spell Power - Minimum Level 10
    66 Spell Power - Minimum Level 12
    72 Spell Power - Minimum Level 14
    78 Spell Power - Minimum Level 16
    84 Spell Power - Minimum Level 18
    90 Spell Power - Minimum Level 20
    96 Spell Power - Minimum Level 21
    102 Spell Power - Minimum Level 22
    108 Spell Power - Minimum Level 23
    114 Spell Power - Minimum Level 24
    120 Spell Power - Minimum Level 25

What does that mean for Festival Glaciation recipes?
    Answer: They will only affect my item's level if I place a higher amount of Spell Power than is normally found in random treasure on an item of that level.

Example: I have a Min Level 14 Combustion scepter. Because it's a Min Level 14 item, it has 72 Fire Spell Power.
    I can add all the Festival Glaciation up to 72 Cold Spell Power without changing my scepter's level. If I increase it further to 78, the item's level raises to 16.

Since this matches what you all are used to seeing in treasure throughout the game, it shouldn't be very different or unusual. Hope this helps clarify things.

Community Member

So, the festival glaciation now affects the items ML, where it didn't before. Great. Two years ago, during the first ice games that I participated in, I was able to add superior glaciation 8 to a caster stick that had some level of magnetism and major ice lore on it. This did not change the items ML at all. The fact that I could add the glaciation spell power without changing the ML is the only reason I bothered with it in the first place. I can honestly say that this change, combined with the supposed icy burst +4 ml, have put the risia games into the same category as mabar and cove for me, as being events that I will never bother with again. Thanks for clarifying things at least, that is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by shadereaper33 View Post
    Two years ago, during the first ice games that I participated in, I was able to add superior glaciation 8 to a caster stick that had some level of magnetism and major ice lore on it. This did not change the items ML at all. The fact that I could add the glaciation spell power without changing the ML is the only reason I bothered with it in the first place. I can honestly say that this change, combined with the supposed icy burst +4 ml, have put the risia games into the same category as mabar and cove for me, as being events that I will never bother with again.
    Festival Glaciation will not increase an item's minimum level unless you put an amount of Spell Power on that is higher than can be normally found on an item of that minimum level.

As for the Icy Burst, here's a cross-post I made in another thread, which should address your concerns:
    No changes whatsoever have been made to the Frost/Icy Burst Risia recipes.

I suspect that you're all getting worked up over what happens when you put it on an item that is Craftable.
    Remember guys: The level requirement of a Craftable item is automatically adjusted based on the Enhancement Value of the effects on it. Nothing new here.
    Frost/Icy Burst won't change the level of an item that hasn't first been disjunctioned at a crafting station to be made Craftable for Cannith Crafting.

FeatherOfSun, thank you for your response.

However, you did not address the concerns with the Festival Icy Burst recipes and ML impact. This event was supposted to be "special," and provide a little bit of additional twink. If adding these recipies is also going to impact ML, no one is going to bother with the event.

EDIT: Did not see your most recent posting regarding Festival Frost/Icy Burst. Thank you for the confirmation.
    Last edited by Cauthey; 01-02-2013 at 03:30 PM.

Community Member

Festival Glaciation will not increase an item's minimum level unless you put an amount of Spell Power on that is higher than can be normally found on an item of that minimum level.

As for the Icy Burst, here's a cross-post I made in another thread, which should address your concerns:

Frost/Icy Burst won't change the level of an item that hasn't first been disjunctioned at a crafting station to be made Craftable for Cannith Crafting.
    I understand that the festival glaciation won't change the ML unless you put more spell power on it than could be found in loot gen. My problem with this is that before, it wouldn't change the ML of the item regardless of what you put on it. With regards to the second point, last year we were told that we could not put festival frost/icy burst on to an item made with cannith crafting at all. So, unless that has changed, something somewhere within the code isn't working correctly.

More concerning to me is the fact that the only reason any of this information has been made known to us is because someone went into lamma, looked at the altar, noticed the changes, and then started to make a fuss about it on the forums. Things like this should really be added to the patch notes so we, as a player base, are aware when fundamental systems that were are used to functioning in a certain way are changed. The ice games have been available on lamma for over a month now for testing, and this is the first we have heard that there was a change to way the effects would function.

Community Member TempestAlphaOmega's Avatar

Does this mean that we will now be able to add these effects to Cannith Crafted items because that was not allowed in the past?
    Shapshap, League of Extraordinary Ham, Sarlona and a bunch of alts that all have names begining with Sha or Sho. Of course Shapshap could be the alt and one of the others the main, it just depends on what day it is.

Quote Originally Posted by shadereaper33 View Post
    More concerning to me is the fact that the only reason any of this information has been made known to us is because someone went into lamma, looked at the altar, noticed the changes, and then started to make a fuss about it on the forums.
    As both threads that you refer to were posted on the topic of a supposed change to the Icy Burst recipe, I'll reiterate: No changes have been made to Festival Frost/Icy Burst.

If you still believe that changes have been made to the Icy Burst recipe, please provide a screenshot of an item before applying the recipes, and a screenshot after, demonstrating a difference in the item's minimum level.

We've tried, and both myself and our Quality Assurance team are unable to reproduce the alleged minimum level increase caused by the Risia Icy Burst recipe.

As for Festival Glaciation:
    Spell Power was introduced in Update 14 with the release of Menace of the Underdark. Since the introduction of the Spell Power system, Spell Power amounts on lootgen (random treasure) items have been associated with Minimum Levels as shown in the chart I posted above.
    You're trying to compare apples to oranges- the old Glaciation recipes are gone, because the old Spell Damage Amplification system is gone.
    It hadn't occurred to us that this would catch anyone by surprise. The new Festival Glaciation recipes work exactly like Spell Power does in treasure.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast