DDOcast Host
    Licensed House Cannith Refuse Disposal Unit Technician

Default Master Artificer Electric Waltz

After 2 waves of trash in the end fight of the Master Artificer raid, the party will be faced with a sort of puzzle. Toven will electrify certain areas of the floor until 4 crystals are destroyed. While it is certainly possible to heal through the electric fields, especially on normal and hard, doing so on epic can still result in deaths and will seriously drain spell points despite the refueling of the crystals. The fields do a high amount of electric damage and do so at a dangerously fast pace. Anyone separated from the group that doesn’t know what is going on will surely die. There is however a simpler and less dangerous method.

Instead of burning through valuable spell points spam healing you can approach this in a manner that uses very few spell points and is low risk. Toven will tell you which squares of the floor he will electrify. We can then stand in safe areas of the floor and avoid the electric damage. While it may seem like a more complicated way to deal with the puzzle, with a little explanation and practice it is relatively simple and a better method for higher difficulties.

The goal of this phase of the raid is to destroy 4 crystals. They are located on bright blue circular pads in the NE, NW, SE and SW areas of the room. As you hit the crystals they will give out spell points refilling most spell casters bars – assuming they aren’t spam healing.

The important thing to realize with this method of actually moving around the floor to avoid the electric floor is to minimize the distance travelled between field patterns. There will be brief pauses between each pattern of fields, but it will only be brief. It is also going to take longer because we cannot always be beating on a crystal. In fact while the electric fields are changing we will be almost completely ignoring the crystals. Not only are they too far inside the fields, but they typically cause intense graphics lag drastically reducing reaction times.

Above Tovens head is a 3x5 grid of crystals. This is how he will indicate which areas of the floor will be hit by electric fields. The crystals will light up in a variety of patterns that will indicate which areas of the floor will be electrified. The trick here is knowing the patterns (although you can just watch and get the pattern each time) and which area of the floor the crystals correspond too. We will cover the latter first.

In addition to the 4 blue circular platforms that are the location of the crystals, there are 2 rows of 4 blue circular platforms running north to south. These 8 platforms mark the intersections of the floor areas creating the same 3x5 grid of the crystals. If you have run this raid before you will recognize these pads as the location of the magefire cannons in the next phase. As you look at Toven (Toven is located due east) and the crystal grid they correspond to the square floor areas in the same orientation – that is the upper left crystal corresponds to the NE corner of the room (the NE corner is in front of you to the left) and the bottom right crystal corresponds to the SW corner (behind you and to the right). The end columns are the North and South walls and are in fact quite a bit smaller than the other 3 columns. The top row is the east wall and the bottom row is the west wall which is where you came in.

The crystals will light up in a series of sequences indicating the next several series of electric fields. At first this can seem rather daunting – crystals flashing at you quickly and in a confusing manner. However, with study you will realize that there are only 3 patterns with only a few variations between them. I will be calling these patterns: North/South, Columns, and Corners which will also indicate how the fields move.

To start, assign 1 person to be your caller. This should be someone who is familiar with the patterns and can quickly recognize them and direct the party. After each sequence of electric fields the DM will alert you with DM text that the next sequence is about to be displayed. At this point they should go to the center of the room to get the next sequence.
    Shamgar ~ Pjstechie ~ Melchizedek ~ Habakkuk ~ Josheb ~ Magoi ~ Kinnor ~ Eshek ~ Zakchaios ~ Jephthah ~ Bartimaios ~ Ehudh ~ Bezaleluri ~ Nebuchad ~ Lava Divers (Khyber) ~ Epic Education ~ Building Blocks ~ DDOCast ~ contact me

DDOcast Host

Default North/South & South/North

This field pattern comes in 2 variations and they are exact opposites. The crystals will light up in columns either from right to left then left to right (South to North to South) or from left to right to left (North to South to North). I will consider the first case because it is always the first pattern.

The electric fields will start in the southern most column. The fields will then turn on 1 column at a time heading north, but the previous columns will all stay on (which is not indicated by the crystals). Once the fields reach the 4th column leaving only the northern most column safe, they will start turning off in reverse order heading back to the south. As this happens the fields will start turning on in the columns from the north side in exactly the same manner until only the southern most column (the first column that turned on) remains uncharged.

Here’s the game plan. As soon as you recognize this pattern head straight for a north end crystal (you can always start at a north crystal). If both north crystals are destroyed just go to the north wall. Once the electric fields reach the 3rd column, the middle of the room, everyone should abandon breaking the crystal and go hug the north wall. If you are having particular trouble with lag, go to the north wall earlier.

Once the electric fields start receding follow them south. Bypass the crystal and once it is safe to do so hug the south wall. When the fields drop, go to a south crystal and dps until the next sequence is called.

If the sequence of fields is left to right to left then the sequence is the same but reversed. Start on a south crystal and then go to the south wall. As the electric fields recede follow them to the north wall and then when they drop bust a north crystal until the next sequence.
    Shamgar ~ Pjstechie ~ Melchizedek ~ Habakkuk ~ Josheb ~ Magoi ~ Kinnor ~ Eshek ~ Zakchaios ~ Jephthah ~ Bartimaios ~ Ehudh ~ Bezaleluri ~ Nebuchad ~ Lava Divers (Khyber) ~ Epic Education ~ Building Blocks ~ DDOCast ~ contact me

DDOcast Host

Default Columns

This sequence is indicated by first the 2nd and 4th columns lighting on the crystals then the 1st, 3rd, and 5th. These 2 patterns will then alternate 2 more times for a total of 6 sequences. The 7th and final sequence will resemble a sideways 8. The columns sequence does not have a variation, it is the same every time as it is completely symmetrical.

Once this sequence is identified everyone should run to the center of the room. Once you are in the safe center column get close to the border of the middle row of 1 of the adjoining columns. There are pipes along the floor that will help you identify the border. Once the electric fields in the 2nd and 4th columns turns off we are going to jump just over the border into the 2nd or 4th column. Once the field goes down we will again jump back over the border into the middle column. Are you counting? That was the 3rd field. The 4th, 5th and 6th fields are much the same, keep jumping over the pipe border into the new safe zone.

The 7th field is the curveball. This electric field is like a sideways 8. That means only the center squares of the 2nd and 4th columns will be safe. But wait! Were you counting? If you have done as I have described and have been jumping back and forth between the middle column and either the 2nd or 4th columns from the middle row you are in fact already safe! This is the reason we have chosen the middle row to shift in. Just remember to count the fields so you know when to stay put and NOT jump back to the center column.

You may have noticed however that none of the crystals will be in range of the melee. While it is certainly your option to range the crystals (and I advise you do as long as you aren’t in melee unless your casters are very short on spell points) this is not a good sequence to melee the crystals on. Every other field will hit the crystals and with the graphics lag its just too much. Besides, by the time you get to the crystal you would need to turn around and get to a safe zone. Just wait until the end of the field sequence and get a few shots in before the next fields.

DDOcast Host

Default Corners

This pattern of fields is similar to columns in that there are 7 fields, the first 6 of which are an alternating pair. The first fields will just be the 4 corners of the room. This actually includes the adjoining column creating a safe zone that resembles a + sign. Another way of saying this is that the safe area will be only the middle row and the middle column. The 2nd fields will be the opposite, the middle row and middle column will become active while the corners become safe zones. This pattern will continue alternating until the 7th field pattern in which only 1 of the 4 corners will be safe. There are 4 variations to this pattern of fields the only difference being which corner is safe on the 7th set of electric fields.

When this pattern is identified everyone should go to the center of the room. The caller should identify which of the corners will be the safe corner at the end of the sequence by watching for the last field sequence on the crystals. Once that is determined let everyone know the safe corner and move towards it.

The plan is much like the column fields. We are going to jump back and forth over the field borders. Like columns the fields are alternating so we will mostly ignore the crystals. I prefer to jump over the shiny blue platform diagonally from the center most square into the square with the crystal. By completely jumping over the blue dot we can be sure we are in the safe square. Again, because the fields are alternating we want to stay close to the border.

The electric fields start in the corner squares. Once they go down, jump into that area before the + fields turn on. Once they go down jump back to the center square. Keep jumping over the blue dot as soon as the fields turn off.

But don’t forget to count!! Just like with the columns sequence the 7th field pattern does not require us to move. This is because the 6th field is the center row and column. So long as we have identified the correct corner to jump in and out of we can not only stay where we should be on the 6th field, but we can spend some extra time beating a crystal down if it is still up. This is why we waited until the 7th field in the sequence was identified so we know which corner to jump in and out of.

DDOcast Host

Default Summary

Here are the field patterns in sequence. There are 3 patterns with a total of 7 variations. Lets take note of a few things.

First, notice how the center square is ALWAYS safe for the 1st field in a sequence.

Second notice that 5 of the 7 variations begin by the electric fields in all the crystal squares being active.

Using this method requires 2 things to be effective. The first is at least 1 person who can quickly and clearly direct traffic. The second is that each person must be watching for when fields go down. The leader should be telling you where to go and where is safe, but they need to do so BEFORE the field goes down (ie: when the electric fields drop we are moving here). It is then your responsibility to move when that field goes down. Waiting for the leaders voice to come over chat or even waiting until they move may make you too slow. The leader should be setting you up as close as possible to the fields when you will be alternating on columns and corner patterns. I have found however that the north/south patterns surprisingly give people the most trouble. Following the fields to the other end of the map requires decent reaction because the fields are coming from behind. If you are slow they will catch you. In fact, most of the time I can almost just run straight to the other wall because of how fast the fields turn off/on.

Here’s some closing tips:

1) Keep haste/striders on. You need to move quickly.
    2) When preparing to move to a square that is currently electrified stand as close to the border as possible. The squares are bigger than you think.
    3) Don’t think of the objective of this phase as ‘breaking the crystals’ but rather ‘stay alive’ – play it safe
    4) If graphics lag is trouble for you, unless you need spell points don’t stand close to a crystal. The lag is much less farther away.
    5) Hotbar a ranged weapon – you will have more time to range than melee
    6) Learn the patterns. If your party wipes in this phase, spend some time as a ghost trying to lead yourself through the different patterns.
    7) consider turning off anything that gives a penalty to speed

With a little practice you will have no problem navigating a party through the fields.
    Before long you can do a whole epic run without even being touched.

Default Thank You

Thank you very much: +1 to you.

Great job.

Founder & Build Synthesis Battlehawke's Avatar

Default yes

Great tutorial
    +1
    The Best Server: Gallhanda

Looking for a great guild? Check Out Our Guild: http://www.oldtimersguild.com/vb/forum.php

Looking for some good builds to play? https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...for-Characters

absolutely fantastic +1, and thank you.
    Sicks and Tymn on Orien.

Community Member

I'm a visual person, so I made this to help get the information across. If this is reasonably accurate, let me know and I'll make a version for the other two.

Ink

NORTH / SOUTH

Edit: Adding second image.

COLUMNS

Edit2: Added third image.

CORNERS (South/West shown)
    Last edited by Inkblack; 03-06-2012 at 07:43 AM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Inkblack View Post
    I'm a visual person, so I made this to help get the information across. If this is reasonably accurate, let me know and I'll make a version for the other two.

Ink

...snipped image...
    Make the other ones!
    Played on Sarlona:
    Incrediberry
    Saurfang

DDOcast Host

Quote Originally Posted by Inkblack View Post

Ink
    yeah thats pretty much it. Nicely done sir

If you want to be nit picky about it:

for columns and corners, theres a bit of an extra pause before the very last field (the one that is different)

also in north/south, it looks like the party stops at the crystal again on the way north - i highly advise not. you dont really need the time to get ahead of the first field or 2, but by the end theres usually always 1 person who is barely making it to the north wall if they dont get zapped. the graphics lag on the crystals is pretty nasty too, that usually gets people pretty good.

I used to wonder how electric trap works, but then I crafted t3 lightning absorption gs weapon and 33% absorption trinket from cannith crafting

I highly doubt avoiding traps would work with pugs, atm they can only handle tactic where you start from SW crystal and go kill them clockwise and yet people have problem with sticking to it

DDOcast Host

Quote Originally Posted by evisnai View Post
    I used to wonder how electric trap works, but then I crafted t3 lightning absorption gs weapon and 33% absorption trinket from cannith crafting

I highly doubt avoiding traps would work with pugs, atm they can only handle tactic where you start from SW crystal and go kill them clockwise and yet people have problem with sticking to it
    Ive done it several times with pugs who have no idea whats going on with minimal instructions and 0 deaths - even on epic.

the issue with absorption items is they only work for you. particularly on epic healing through the fields is at best painful, usually someone squishy dies (assuming its not a wipe) and the spamming heals completely negate the sp gained from destroying the crystals.

DDOcast Host

so technically a necro post, but probably also highly relevant for those trying to learn how not to get electrocuted in Legendary Master Artificer. Enjoy the wall of text learning, or just skip to the visual version!

Also, I should have named this the Electric Slide...