Default Armor Appearance Kits

Question:if I epic craft an item, does it lose any armor appearance kits applied to it?

Actual scenario: I have the Diabolist's Docent and plan to Epic it in 5 levels when I hit 20. If I apply an armor appearance kit to it now, will it maintain it when I craft it to Epic?

Tried to Google it but didn't have much luck. My goog-fu is obviously weak.
    "These fauchards have gone too far!"
    Hi Welcome

DDO Store

Hi GBantaR,

Turning a normal item into an epic item will cause it to lose any modifications made to it, which includes armor kits.

How about unsupressing an item?

Founder
    2015 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by QuarterMasterM View Post
    Hi GBantaR,

Turning a normal item into an epic item will cause it to lose any modifications made to it, which includes armor kits.
    this disclaimer is not easily located because?
    The Great Gnome Conspiracy was here!

Quote Originally Posted by Lerincho View Post
    Because they want you to buy a second kit
    Naggesh-Drow Wiz PM TR--Borax DethAxe-Dwarf Rng/Mnk/Fgt--Accomplice of the Sorcerer-WF Arti TR --Ombrah the Outcast-BF Pali--Luxxs Interior-Human Bard WC--Xeak the Dirty-1/2ling Rog Assassin--Poli Styrene-Human Arti

Founder
    2015 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by GreenGurgler View Post
    Because they want you to buy a second kit
    And auto service places want you to have to come back and buy new brakes as well. But they do have disclaimers on them as well. Nowhere on the armor kit does it say anything about being removed by anything other than the armor kit removal or by toggling on/off the appearance. I knew Turbine had questionable business tactics, but that would be more on the edge of unethical than questionable.

I knew Turbine had questionable business tactics, but that would be more on the edge of unethical than questionable.
    While I agree with your principle Lericho, and this definitely needs fixing/warning about for future reference. I am reminded of a saying of my fathers:-

"Never ascribe to malfeasance that which can be more easy explained by incompetence"

Betcha a donut the Turbine folks had no idea this would happen till the OP posted there question!

Founder
    2015 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Ducaster View Post
    Betcha a donut the Turbine folks had no idea this would happen till the OP posted there question!
    And I bet these things would be found with proper beta testers. After all what we have is Lamania is not a test server, it is a preview server in which people try to find the exploits or how to do things as quickly as possible. Mourlands.... well I will not go there, but let's just say that they are not properly beta testing either otherwise hidden side effects like this would be found prior to live launches.

And auto service places want you to have to come back and buy new brakes as well. But they do have disclaimers on them as well. Nowhere on the armor kit does it say anything about being removed by anything other than the armor kit removal or by toggling on/off the appearance. I knew Turbine had questionable business tactics, but that would be more on the edge of unethical than questionable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducaster View Post
    While I agree with your principle Lericho, and this definitely needs fixing/warning about for future reference. I am reminded of a saying of my fathers:-

"Never ascribe to malfeasance that which can be more easy explained by incompetence"

I do agree with Ducaster really.

My jab was more of a general poke at Turbine. It seems lately they are guilty/suspect of being unable to touch the game without finding a way to tie a money stream to it.

I am all for companies making profit (that is fundamentally WHY companies exist at all, there's no point debating that), but I believe that there needs to be a balance. Too much of anything is bad. Not all attempts to gain profit are honest and fair. And yes, I believe fair has a place in capitalism.

For the most part over the last 5 years I believe Turbine has been pretty fair in what it offers for what it charges. But lately it seems they are tipping towards the dark side in what they charge for and how much. They appear to be starting to want to charge for every keystroke (exaggeration I know, trying to make a point). Things that they used to tie into the game mechanic are now tied only into a revenue mechanic.

Since F2P, it feels like they are using DDO as a playground to test profit making guidelines (for future projects). Trying to figure out just how far they can push in one direction or another and gathering data all the way. There is nothing fundamentally wrong with it, but there are many instances (IMHO) where their pricing schemes seem way out of line. Like they are just testing pricing out on us.

Anyway... I seem to have lost my direction in this rant. My last post was jut a poke. I agree they probably had no idea this would happen. Much could be said about that specifically but I wont.
    Naggesh-Drow Wiz PM TR--Borax DethAxe-Dwarf Rng/Mnk/Fgt--Accomplice of the Sorcerer-WF Arti TR --Ombrah the Outcast-BF Pali--Luxxs Interior-Human Bard WC--Xeak the Dirty-1/2ling Rog Assassin--Poli Styrene-Human Arti

Gotta agree with you on both points there.

I know folks that only have Lama just to find the exploits like you say *sigh* Does nobody play these games JUST to have fun anymore? I prefer to plod through content exploring it just for its own sake. Power levelling never interested me nor does exploit exploiting.

All I ask is that when a bug is found like this a rep from the company says promptly:-

"Thats a very good point thanks for bringing that to our attention we will fix it ASAP"

Turbine. The OP has a very reasonable point. They paid to look like a particular style. They want the best they can for there Toon. Why are these ideals incompatible in this case? Why is it hard for an Armor Kit to be unable to override the base appearance of any armor epic or otherwise. Surely there just art skins over the base character model? At worst when they go Epic all they would need to do is toggle the Armor Kit on and off to achieve the look they PAID you for...

A strait answer would go a long way here Tolero, I feel?

This is also ignoring that Armor Kits affect the item not the player. They paid to make a Docent look like X. They're getting rid of the Docent. Why should X persist. There are no "upgrades" involved in epic. It destroys your four key items (Base Item, Shard, Seal, Scroll) and Generates the New Epic Item. All damage is repaired, all rituals on it are lost, and there are no armor kits applied.

If you want to complain, stop buying the damned Armor Kits that tells turbine they're a good idea.
    [REDACTED]

Thanks all for the answers. Didn't mean to spark a debate.
    "These fauchards have gone too far!"
    Hi Welcome

2015 DDO Players Council Seikojin's Avatar

Becuase it is a bug.

Another reason why the current armor kit system was a terrible idea. They just could't go for the lotro type cosmetic system.

As much as I like a few of the kits I will not buy these one use skins for the current cost. I would rather pay 350+ for a BtA kit that is removable and can be pass to other alts.
    HEY, I'M TRYING TO SOLVE THAT!
    STOP TOUCHING MY PUZZLE!
    TOUCH MY PUZZLE ONE MORE TIME AND YOU'LL BE SORRY!
    PEOPLE LIKE YOU ARE WHAT'S WRONG WITH THIS GAME -- I QUIT! AND YOU SHALL DIE!