Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: /rant

Quote Originally Posted by Phax View Post
    The problem is likely that the XP report only updates upon certain events happening (ie monster died, trap disabled, etc. etc.). Time passing is not one of them. So while the penalty went away because time had passed the UI did not update.
    Is there an actually formula you can give us that tells how the penalty is calculated? (% of kills, % of objectives, % of time, etc)

The problem is likely that the XP report only updates upon certain events happening (ie monster died, trap disabled, etc. etc.). Time passing is not one of them. So while the penalty went away because time had passed the UI did not update.
    So there you go. The next time you are unsure of whether or not you will get full exp, you just need to jump in some lava. Your death will trigger an update of the exp screen and the mystery will be solved.
    You may know me as: Gannot, Gonnet, Gunnet, Ginnet, Gaxxat, Gennot, Gannut, Gxnnxt, Horseface, Izzayhay, Pailmaster, Artifactual, Gynnet and/or Barred. What? I like alts.

Quote Originally Posted by Montrose View Post
    So there you go. The next time you are unsure of whether or not you will get full exp, you just need to jump in some lava. Your death will trigger an update of the exp screen and the mystery will be solved.
    Closing and reopening the XP report should also update it. Just do that every 30 seconds.
    Star Firefall
    20 Rogue Assasin
    Currently on life 42 of 42 (Final Life!)

Quote Originally Posted by Gol View Post

Just venting. Move along.
    this is what beer was made for when you play video games. Have a drink and everything is better

Stupid late penalties are a load of BS.

I joined an at-level von 5 pug last night after they had started. By the time we get to the end, I have the most kills, but yet I still have a "-50% because you arrived late and contributed less". Really? REALLY?!!?!

I wasn't the only one. 4 of us were still sitting at -50%. By our math, it couldn't have been 5 more minutes until the penalty was gone when a couple of the non-penalized people decided they'd start the iron golem fight anyway.

Alt-F4. No, I'm not sorry. I told them I wasn't about to waste my first time bonus on being over level (we had a level 13 in the party) AND a -50% late penalty. So I didn't.

Then, I switch to my FvS for an ev6 run. Yark! Epic FAIL von 6, that is. Multiple base 3 wipes because whoever was over there couldn't handle it, even with help. Multiple base 1 wipes b/c base 3 was taking so long... 3 SP pots later... /release

/rant off

Gol, I totally feel for you, and I don't blame you for your decisions in those situations.

Another thing that bothers me, is the Stupid Quest Mechanic in Shroud 4 going into 5 that kills everyone, and takes away your Flawless Bonus for NOT Dying. Any quest mechanic that forces something to happen, like death in this example, should not be held against the party.

And that is a Big part of the problem. How the heck are we supposed to know? If it is based upon time that we get the late penalty, for joining afgter the party gets started, then we need to know what we need to do get rid of the penalty. Transparency here is key, and would cost Turbine very little at all.

So Phax, what exactly are the factors used to determine the -50% and -80% penalties being applied and removed?

Admittedly I have one simple rule. I do NOT join quests in progress for just that reason unless I am just looking for favor or flagging. But that's me.
    To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!
    Go for the eyes Boo!

Unfortunate that it works that way IMO, but thanks very much for the information.

I joined an at-level von 5 pug last night after they had started. By the time we get to the end, I have the most kills, but yet I still have a "-50% because you arrived late and contributed less". Really? REALLY?!!?!

I wasn't the only one. 4 of us were still sitting at -50%. By our math, it couldn't have been 5 more minutes until the penalty was gone when a couple of the non-penalized people decided they'd start the iron golem fight anyway.

Alt-F4. No, I'm not sorry. I told them I wasn't about to waste my first time bonus on being over level (we had a level 13 in the party) AND a -50% late penalty. So I didn't.

Then, I switch to my FvS for an ev6 run. Yark! Epic FAIL von 6, that is. Multiple base 3 wipes because whoever was over there couldn't handle it, even with help. Multiple base 1 wipes b/c base 3 was taking so long... 3 SP pots later... /release

/rant off

was this the late night run we did last night without a bard?
    Revenants
    Solo: Eadq1, Eadq2, EDA, EChains, EVOD. 2 man EShroud, 4 man ETOD, World First ELOB

Red face It had nagged me at some point.

Previously it had occurred to me that the time 'lags'. It would seem to not reflect accurately. But I didn't put much emphasis on it. I've joined late against my better judgment, but by the time I got finished I had just forgotten about it. Normally I wouldn't join an, 'in progress' unless they needed some type of specific help. So it is good to know that simply standing there with the XP menu open will not make the problem go away...
    The Truth~ +5 Transmuting Utterance of Puncturing .
    BarrelBane Crateslayers~Shamrocks.
    of Spew(Argo, Thelanis, Cannith);Chunkss[Argo]

Quote Originally Posted by Lithic View Post
    Closing and reopening the XP report should also update it. Just do that every 30 seconds.
    Closing and re-opening *should* do it, but unless I am misunderstanding the dev response, a data refresh is needed, not just a screen refresh.
    You may know me as: Gannot, Gonnet, Gunnet, Ginnet, Gaxxat, Gennot, Gannut, Gxnnxt, Horseface, Izzayhay, Pailmaster, Artifactual, Gynnet and/or Barred. What? I like alts.

Quote Originally Posted by Montrose View Post
    Closing and re-opening *should* do it, but unless I am misunderstanding the dev response, a data refresh is needed, not just a screen refresh.
    Closing and opening does not fix it.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Phalcon View Post
    was this the late night run we did last night without a bard?
    Yes, it was.. do you remember ?
    Haylie ~~ Brandie ~~ Nickey ~~ Aleeah ~~ Asia ~~ Nixxee ~~ Asiaskylar~~ Asialee

I hardly drink anymore.. but today you're in luck
    I carry a firearm because a cop is too heavy !

T = Time since dungeon started.
    P = Time since player entered.

// < 10 minute difference means no penalty
    if( P - T < 10 minutes )
    No Penalty

//If player was around for less than a quarter of the time
    if ( P < T / 4 )
    -80% XP

//If player was around for less than half of the time
    if( P < T / 2 )
    -50% XP

Actions that will trigger the UI to update:

- YOU log in.

The rest apply to anyone in the party (everyone gets an update on these events):

- Player Died
    - Henchman Died
    - Monster Died
    - Chest Looted
    - Secret Door Discovered
    - Trap Disabled
    - Breakable Smashed

Oh and btw - I do consider the UI not updating when the penalty reduces a bug.
    Last edited by Phax; 07-15-2010 at 03:02 PM.

if( P - T < 10 minutes )
    No Penalty

if ( P < T / 4 )
    -80% XP

if( P < T / 2 )
    -50% XP
    I'd have to say that right there is a pretty direct answer. Thanks.

Woot, function call!

Thanks, Phax.

emm... So easiest way to update the log... break something/kill something. I think we can handle that.
    Last edited by Missing_Minds; 07-15-2010 at 03:02 PM.

if( P - T < 10 minutes )
    No Penalty

if ( P < T / 4 )
    -80% XP

if( P < T / 2 )
    -50% XP

- YOU log in.

The rest apply to anyone in the party (everyone gets an update on these events):

- Player Died
    - Henchman Died
    - Monster Died
    - Chest Looted
    - Secret Door Discovered
    - Trap Disabled
    - Breakable Smashed

Thank you! Turbine needs more devs like you, that give straight and detailed answers.

While we have you, any chance you could tell us the proc rates of Shroud weapon/guard procs?
    I don't have a zerging problem.

I'm zerging. That's YOUR problem.

if( P - T < 10 minutes )
    No Penalty

if ( P < T / 4 )
    -80% XP

if( P < T / 2 )
    -50% XP

- YOU log in.

- Player Died
    - Henchman Died
    - Monster Died
    - Chest Looted
    - Secret Door Discovered
    - Trap Disabled
    - Breakable Smashed

That seems to be pretty straight forward Phax. Thanks for the exact stats on this it really does help for those of us who join a quest late.

Possible improvement to system. Have a time until xp penalty is reduced since it is a time based event displayed on the xp screen.
    Proud Recipient of At least 8 Negative Rep From NA Threads.
    Main: Sharess
    Alts: Avaril/Cyr/Cyrillia/Garagos/Inim/Lamasa/Ravella

Smile hey now

if( P - T < 10 minutes )
    No Penalty

if ( P < T / 4 )
    -80% XP

if( P < T / 2 )
    -50% XP

- YOU log in.

- Player Died
    - Henchman Died
    - Monster Died
    - Chest Looted
    - Secret Door Discovered
    - Trap Disabled
    - Breakable Smashed

Let's not blow out the feedback limit for the day!! Information overload.
    I'm glad you edited. The second part I wanted to see. and it's legible.
    The Truth~ +5 Transmuting Utterance of Puncturing .
    BarrelBane Crateslayers~Shamrocks.
    of Spew(Argo, Thelanis, Cannith);Chunkss[Argo]

/rant off

I was in that raid. I was on my battle caster on base 3, with a wf tank to help dps the pillar since I don't have disintegrate. Now if memory serves me right, we wiped because we didn't have a bard and Base 1 kept wiping, due to elementals not being controlled. On base three we killed our Djinn and pillars about 3 times in a row waiting for base 1 to finish. now after all that mess and i ran outta sp and had already used 3 pots we wiped on base 3. however none of that would have happened however if we had crowd control on base three so making the statement that the person on base 3 (Me) couldn't handle it, is completely false, get your /rant facts straight. You were on what base again Gol?

now that thats over with yes that was a total drag. i sucked down pots as well for no reason and you know who i blame? i blame tot.
    Revenants
    Solo: Eadq1, Eadq2, EDA, EChains, EVOD. 2 man EShroud, 4 man ETOD, World First ELOB

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast