Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MadFloyd View Post
    It's simply an abstract way of recognizing your adventuring prowness. We thought it might make the experience a little more enjoyable if, when picking up collectibles, you had a chance of something else.

That being said, while *I* might mindlessly pick up every bag (only because using the hotkey makes it painless), it's pretty clear that most of you don't (and resent having to). So we're looking into changing this so that there would be no pickup required - i.e. it would be automatic and not a choice.
    My two copper:

If renown must be linked to loot rather than favour for some reason, what about a very small, fixed amount of renown to EVERYONE in a group every time a bag drops - so there's no worries about having to pick bags up, and after all bags are available to everyone in a group, there's no ninja looting of them anyway, so bags are already 'party-wide'.

If the amount is small (and I mean 1 or 2 points) then you don't even need to adjust the bag drop rates, and people don't need to go out of their way to pick them up - the mere fact that bags have dropped ups the renown. the amount earned per adventure could be tallied, awarded and displayed ONLY on completion - so no farming mobs for drops. That does leave something needing working out for wilderness areas, but I think would kill a number of birds with one stone:

• No renown without quest completions
    • Reduced farming if bag drop rates are the same for everything (you might still farm quests with lots of mobs for more bags, but you do have to complete the quest!)
    • No need to pick up bags.
    • XP and renown (which is only Guild XP after all) earned on the quest visible from a single key press.
    • Renown builds in PuGs equally across the board regardless of the zerg speed or bag-grabbyness of the puggers.

Things to watch out for:

• Wilderness areas & bag drops - what will happen here? Would it be rares + chests only since you get XP for them specifically? In which case presumably you could link it to discovery areas and slayer awards too, which might be nice. I love the idea of seeing dozens of people from the same guild forming up outside Searing Heights in order to form mini-posse's and go clear the zone, and getting renown for it ("hurrah for the [guild name]!" say the local populace. "They've prevented the drow from overrunning the city! Hurrah!" etc etc)
    • Quest Difficulty modifiers - will they intentionally or unintentionally affect the renown awarded?

Things to watch out for on renown system generally:
    • Non-Guild aligned players - will they still earn renown somehow and what do they get if they do? Anything? nothing? is it stored up for later or lost?
    • Lag caused by additional calculations during quests.

or you could just link it straight to XP and/or favour and have done with it - you want to farm renown? Get everyone in your guild to level. A lot. Kinda encourages mahoooosive guilds and punishes small ones though I guess.
    Last edited by dunklezhan; 06-10-2010 at 09:05 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    The best of the best DDO players generally overperform when given a real challenge
    Quote Originally Posted by Amundir View Post
    My words are great. Even out of context.

Quote Originally Posted by dunklezhan View Post
    My two copper:

If renown must be linked to loot rather than favour for some reason, what about a very small, fixed amount of renown to EVERYONE in a group every time a bag drops - so there's no worries about having to pick bags up, and after all bags are available to everyone in a group, there's no ninja looting of them anyway, so bags are already 'party-wide'.
    We've just made a change where renown from mobs will not drop as bags, but rather be automatically collected party-wide (for everyone in the dungeon).

I'm hoping this will hit Lamannia on Friday.

We've just made a change where renown from mobs will not drop as bags, but rather be automatically collected party-wide (for everyone in the dungeon).

Excellent change MadFloyd.
    Proud Recipient of At least 8 Negative Rep From NA Threads.
    Main: Sharess
    Alts: Avaril/Cyr/Cyrillia/Garagos/Inim/Lamasa/Ravella

Dude, you the man!!!!

“If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking till you do succeed.”

Hatchery Founder
    2014 DDO Players Council

That's nice.

But what about the drop rate of renown from chests and rewards?
    RedShirt / Roleplayer of Giant Slayers, Inc. on Thelanis, formerly Tharashk.
    Member of the DDO Player Council

Coldin-Artificer; Lynton-Bard; Alydyn-Swashbuckler;
    Takai-
    Monk; Rosein-Paladin; Ellyiana-Cleric; Aurixs-Sorcerer

Spooky! But good news!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    The best of the best DDO players generally overperform when given a real challenge
    Quote Originally Posted by Amundir View Post
    My words are great. Even out of context.

Thank you!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
    Hi welcome!
    (I wonder if I'll get banned for this?)

Nice Move!

Hatchery Founder
    2014 DDO Players Council

Really...while it's great and all that killing a monster with renown will be an automatic collect, that's really not solving my main issue with how the current system is working.

I personally don't want to spend hours grinding renown killing kobolds or hobgoblins to collect renown. I want to recieve renown from doing and completing quests. Hearing this recent change does nothing to make feel that the drop rates from chests and end rewards is being looked at.

I really feel that completing any quest should be a near 100%, if not fully 100%, drop on renown, and it should always be an amount appropriate to the difficulty of the quest.

Takai-

Quote Originally Posted by Coldin View Post
    We've increased the base chance of finding trophies in chests, and also increased the "epic difficulty" bonus.

End rewards should have trophies available very often. (Nearly 100% for Long or Very Long dungeons, in fact.)

Really...while it's great and all that killing a monster with renown will be an automatic collect, that's really not solving my main issue with how the current system is working.

I personally don't want to spend hours grinding renown killing kobolds or hobgoblins to collect renown. I want to recieve renown from doing and completing quests. Hearing this recent change does nothing to make feel that the drop rates from chests and end rewards is being looked at.

I really feel that completing any quest should be a near 100%, if not fully 100%, drop on renown, and it should always be an amount appropriate to the difficulty of the quest.
    I agree.. this is a good change, but it seems like it is primarily targeted at preventing the tactic of finding a bag with renown, holding the dungeon, logging on alts/calling other guildies to all farm the same bag. Preventing that ridiculous option is good, but I'm more interested in possible adjustments to other ways of getting renown. [EDIT: which Eladrin just commented on. great!]

Hatchery Founder
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Eladrin View Post
    We've increased the base chance of finding trophies in chests, and also increased the "epic difficulty" bonus.

End rewards should have trophies available very often. (Nearly 100% for Long or Very Long dungeons, in fact.)
    Ok. I feel somewhat better now.

Why not have trophies drop 100% from all end reward though, and the actually amount scale with difficulty and length?

Well, I'll wait to test and see how often it is in practice before I make anymore comments about it.

Takai-

Im hoping this means the mechanic to pick up the renown isnt just disconnected from bag drops, but that the mobs that drop renown no longer have anything to do with bag drops.

I am looking to see that it's been changed so any mob has some percent chance to drop renown, and hopefully that is influenced by the level of the mob vs the level of the player(s).

Lvl 20's killing kobolds for renown is silliness. Lvl 2's killing kobolds for renown makes sense. Odds of renown dropping should be similar to the mechanic used to give XP vs the level of a quest. The higher the player is vs the content the lower the odds, and vice versa.

If that is the case, then I will like it. I like the thought that after killing 200 mobs in a very difficult quest and getting **** random loot, at least I've accomplished something (ie generating renown). That helps alleviate some of the disappointment in not getting decent loot as you'll always be moving toward some goal, even if it is a guild goal instead of a personal one.
    ~PESTILENCE~
    Looting's our business and business is good.
    Officer On Thelanis - Deathseer, Deathslasher, Deathcount, Deathslicer, Deathspinner, Deathsneak, Deathswiper, Deathdoctor

That's nice.

Well that should be better than what was on Lamannia last week. Actually, it might already be better < tries to remember when the last update to Lamannia was... >

Hatchery Founder
    2014 DDO Players Council

Well that should be better than what was on Lamannia last week. Actually, it might already be better < tries to remember when the last update to Lamannia was... >
    Tuesday

I don't know if it's better. It didn't seem much better from my own light testing, and a few other people's reports.

Takai-

Quote Originally Posted by Deathseeker View Post
    Im hoping this means the mechanic to pick up the renown isnt just disconnected from bag drops, but that the mobs that drop renown no longer have anything to do with bag drops.
    Correct.

I am looking to see that it's been changed so any mob has some percent chance to drop renown, and hopefully that is influenced by the level of the mob vs the level of the player(s).
    Correct on both accounts (at least in theory, would love confirmation!)

Lvl 20's killing kobolds for renown is silliness. Lvl 2's killing kobolds for renown makes sense. Odds of renown dropping should be similar to the mechanic used to give XP vs the level of a quest. The higher the player is vs the content the lower the odds, and vice versa.
    That has always been the intention.

If that is the case, then I will like it. I like the thought that after killing 200 mobs in a very difficult quest and getting **** random loot, at least I've accomplished something (ie generating renown). That helps alleviate some of the disappointment in not getting decent loot as you'll always be moving toward some goal, even if it is a guild goal instead of a personal one.
    I look forward to your feedback.

The Hatchery
    2014 DDO Players Council

Whatever the new drop system for renown is, I hope there will be an easy way to see it is working. Adding "Renown earned:" to the XP sheet would be great.

Correct.

Correct on both accounts (at least in theory, would love confirmation!)

That has always been the intention.

I look forward to your feedback.
    Well, now Im disappointed as you agreed with everything I asked! I shouldn't have squandered the opportunity and asked for a new lvl 20 raid and Druids instead!!!

Just kidding of course...it sounds to me like the game plan sounds much better on the new version of Lammania. Look forward to the release and can't wait to test it! There's a big group of undead near a big brown death wall that need my attention.
    ~PESTILENCE~
    Looting's our business and business is good.
    Officer On Thelanis - Deathseer, Deathslasher, Deathcount, Deathslicer, Deathspinner, Deathsneak, Deathswiper, Deathdoctor

Did anyone get any renown in new Phiarlan quests?

I've done them many times now, and while bags rarely, but drop, there was absolutely no renown in those quests. Not in bags, not in chests, not in quest rewards for me. I still try to get it, and I play 5th level dwarf rogue there, so I'm level appropriate.
    My friends didn't get any renown there either.
    My Portal: www.ddopl.com | DDOpl Twiter | DDOpl on Facebook | "Gildia DDOpl"
    Me plays gee-tar.
    "There is no easy way for an honest man today".

Quote Originally Posted by Sarr View Post
    Did anyone get any renown in new Phiarlan quests?

I've done them many times now, and while bags rarely, but drop, there was absolutely no renown in those quests. Not in bags, not in chests, not in quest rewards for me. I still try to get it, and I play 5th level dwarf rogue there, so I'm level appropriate.
    My friends didn't get any renown there either.
    I got 50 renown in the first quest (the one with the giant). The renown token was in the end chest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
    Hi welcome!
    (I wonder if I'll get banned for this?)

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast