Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Founder

Default Potency & Elemental Strikes

I have seen a number of posts that state that Potency items increase the damage of ki elemental strikes. Is this true?

I have tested maximize and empower and neither of them have an impact. The cleric enhancement for neg and positive also does not seem to make a difference but at +10% I may have missed it.

Are there other items/enhancements/feats that also increase ki strikes?

Quote Originally Posted by Roziel_Longblade View Post
    I have seen a number of posts that state that Potency items increase the damage of ki elemental strikes. Is this true?

I have tested maximize and empower and neither of them have an impact. The cleric enhancement for neg and positive also does not seem to make a difference but at +10% I may have missed it.

Are there other items/enhancements/feats that also increase ki strikes?
    I dont think anyone knows this...and I dont think it would...

PROBABLY what you heard was that things like potency and devotion items increase the effect of your Ki Finishing Moves..

There IS a difference between Ki Elemental Strikes and Finishing Moves

It has also been stated by devs that the effects being augmented by such potency/devotion items is a bug and not intended. Don't be surprised if it gets removed at some point when their bug que gets low (yeah, right), or if some dev takes a person interest in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Missing_Minds View Post
    It has also been stated by devs that the effects being augmented by such potency/devotion items is a bug and not intended. Don't be surprised if it gets removed at some point when their bug que gets low (yeah, right), or if some dev takes a person interest in it.
    I think the devs posted that metamagics affecting finishing moves was a bug, and it was indeed fixed. But potency affecting finishing moves is Working As Intended as far as I knew. Can you point me at the source of your information so I may stand corrected?

Garth

Garth 20/ftr (Kensei) Haeson 20/clr Cairis 12/ftr 6/rgr 2/rog Xortan 20/wiz
    Tinosa 20/brd Garthbot 20/fvs Gaarth 18/ftr 1/rgr 1/rog (Stal Def)
    Tibetan 20/mnk Automatic DDO raid timers Haezon 20/sor (Conj)

Founder

So potency is the only thing that affects Ki Finishing moves and it does not affect regular ki strikes?

They don't affect ki strikes; they affect finishers that use dice, like breath of the fire dragon and healing Ki.

Since breath sucks and healing Ki isnt a very big deal, its not generally a good idea to wear potency on a monk unless you are a dragonmarked halfling, in whichcase the free bump to healing Ki is convenient (mine, for example, with greater pot 7, hit for 40-60 on the group)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Junts View Post
    Since breath sucks and healing Ki isnt a very big deal, its not generally a good idea to wear potency on a monk unless you are a dragonmarked halfling, in whichcase the free bump to healing Ki is convenient (mine, for example, with greater pot 7, hit for 40-60 on the group)
    I think it's worth it. I'm wearing a Greater Potency II ring on my human monk. The group heal normally heals between 40 and 50, much like a mass cure serious. Still looking for a Superior Potency ring.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedwin View Post
    I think it's worth it. I'm wearing a Greater Potency II ring on my human monk. The group heal normally heals between 40 and 50, much like a mass cure serious. Still looking for a Superior Potency ring.

Its like 1/3 of a mass cure serious. And you could be using damaging ki strikes (earth, air) instead of one that does no damage over and over and only needs occaisionall re-applicaiton (fists of light/curse of heaing).

They don't affect ki strikes; they affect finishers that use dice, like breath of the fire dragon and healing Ki.

I think the fire breath finisher has good sit. use. I hit mummies and cold creatures for around 200-250 hps with it. I also use it to get agro in an area effect.
    Hargrave 20 Pally 1/2ling * Saraph 20 N Human Clr * Azureflame 14/2 CG WF Wiz/Rog * Grimstone 12/2/6 CG Dwf Rgr/ftr/Barb * Ebinn 17/3 Clr/Pally Dwf * Settsu 20 Dwf Monk LN * Nythh 8 Fvs Lg Human * Krisi 20 Sorc Drow LG * Cinderblok 6/12/2 Rgr/Ftr/Mk WF LG

It is currently considered working as intended that Potency / Devotion / Combustion effects improve Monk Finishing Moves such as Healing Ki or Breath of the Fire Dragon.

Community Member

Which levels of those items would we need?

Is Superior xxx 1 enough, or would we need Superior xxx 3, 4, or 5, etc?

Both are modified by potency 1 effects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garth_of_Sarlona View Post
    I think the devs posted that metamagics affecting finishing moves was a bug, and it was indeed fixed. But potency affecting finishing moves is Working As Intended as far as I knew. Can you point me at the source of your information so I may stand corrected?

Garth
    *points up* looks like they voiced a new opinion on me. I don't think I could have found that post I was remembering as it came out a few months after monks were released.

And wasn't it metamagics AND enhancements also?
    Last edited by Missing_Minds; 11-24-2009 at 03:46 PM.

Community Member

Its like 1/3 of a mass cure serious.
    Wait, what? Are we walking about a cure serious potion? or a cure serious from a level 12 cleric? or a cure serious from a fully healing spec'd level 20 cleric?

I don't think I've ever gotten 60 points from a cure serious potion. Also I'm not talking about during a raid, I run in a small group with no cleric, so the mass healing is very nice.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eladrin View Post
    It is currently considered working as intended that Potency / Devotion / Combustion effects improve Monk Finishing Moves such as Healing Ki or Breath of the Fire Dragon.
    Thats what I figured, since they are sorta spell like abilities, and should be affected correctly as with said modifiers.
    Q&A is the business of pointing out others' failures. Optimists need not apply.

Wait, what? Are we walking about a cure serious potion? or a cure serious from a level 12 cleric? or a cure serious from a fully healing spec'd level 20 cleric?

I don't think I've ever gotten 60 points from a cure serious potion. Also I'm not talking about during a raid, I run in a small group with no cleric, so the mass healing is very nice.
    In those situations the monk mass cure finishing move is quite helpful, but when you are in a group with a real healer it's only real use is to bring up incapped party members, which is also good. The problem is that most devotion/potency items are on weapons and shields which are unbalancing... this might be an excellent example where having an ardor or efficacy clickie might be better than the "corrosponding always on" item...

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by NXPlasmid View Post
    The problem is that most devotion/potency items are on weapons and shields which are unbalancing...
    I have seen quite a few rings and hats with potency on them, pretty easy to swap them out rather than use a clicky.

I have seen quite a few rings and hats with potency on them, pretty easy to swap them out rather than use a clicky.
    well all my toons are married to the minos (with a rather heavy community property list) so headgear is out past lvl11, rings are not all that common, in my experience. Now that the clickies are 3 min, you can pop one of them just before fights start no compromise on gear, no worry about unbalancing, carry 2 and you have 18 mins of potency, just a thought.. I've been using one on my cleric a little and it ain't too bad.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by NXPlasmid View Post
    well all my toons are married to the minos (with a rather heavy community property list) so headgear is out past lvl11, rings are not all that common, in my experience.
    Ah. I decided not to pick up the minos on my monk. He's wearing a deathblock outfit of heavy fort, and a +6 wis helm, which frees up other slots.

Ah. I decided not to pick up the minos on my monk. He's wearing a deathblock outfit of heavy fort, and a +6 wis helm, which frees up other slots.
    no wonder you need that extra healing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast