Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Borror0 View Post
    It shouldn't. It'd be plain stupid.
    Agree.

Just Saying 2 Monk Levels Are Very Powerful Even Without The Wisdom Bonus To Ac.

It is unintended. Because:
    1. Pen & Paper rules say unarmored.
    2. Eladrin told me so.

But, that is not important in your case... but currently, you can get the bonus while armored.

So, your build won't be affected.
    Eladrin told you that the WIS bonus will be changed to not apply if someone is not holding a monk weapon? I don't believe that for one second. (perhaps our conversations got crossed?)
    [Founder/Leader of the Bloodlords of Argonnesen]
    [DaveyKhealerAcapellaParlospiGodithGearey Gygax]

Quote Originally Posted by DaveyCrockett View Post
    Eladrin told you that the WIS bonus will be changed to not apply if someone is not holding a monk weapon? I don't believe that for one second. (perhaps our conversations got crossed?)
    Borror Was Talking About Armor.

Ie: Shield/Light/Medium/Heavy Armor

2. Eladrin told me so.

But, that is not important in your case... but currently, you can get the bonus while armored.

Your weapon has no bearing on being Armored... only Armor Does that.

He is not intending to be Armored as such it should not matter

Being Centered should not affect this to do so is a deviation of the core rules as such whatever Eladrin may have said I'm sure he wouldn't mess up that badly as to say they were deliberatly changing a rule to weaken a class feature
    Rule 1: Don't sweat the small stuff
    Rule 2: Its all small stuff
    Rule 3: People are stupid. You, me everyone... expect it
    more rules to come in a different sig

Quote Originally Posted by DaveyCrockett View Post
    Eladrin told you that the WIS bonus will be changed to not apply if someone is not holding a monk weapon? I don't believe that for one second.
    You've missed the part where I said your build wasn't going to be affected, right?

I said that was that armor will turn off the AC bonus from Wisdom, as it should. There is no notion of centerness for the AC bonus, thus, a greataxe will never make you loose that bonus.
    DDOwiki.com, #1 source for DDO information.

Quote Originally Posted by Aspenor View Post
    Well Arian, I know Davey (he's on my server) and unless I missed my mark I think his "library" probably has about 2 whole pages of +2 tomes of every flavor, maybe more.
    I know of only one person like that on my server, and let me tell you, it does NOT drop like that for your average player, or even your average power player at all. he's very lucky.

Founder

That is what I was trying to do with my paladin at first, but I just couldn't resist dual smites/divine sacrifices. My build and your build are playable without all the twink gear and still fun.

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=149365

Divine sacrifice just got a lot better with today's patch. Combine it with virtue.

Quote Originally Posted by maddong View Post
    That is what I was trying to do with my paladin at first, but I just couldn't resist dual smites/divine sacrifices. My build and your build are playable without all the twink gear and still fun.

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=149365

Divine sacrifice just got a lot better with today's patch. Combine it with virtue.
    That one looks fun too! What level are ya?
    [Founder/Leader of the Bloodlords of Argonnesen]
    [DaveyKhealerAcapellaParlospiGodithGearey Gygax]

Founder

Level 9. Made him pretty close to when the mod hit but haven't been playing as much as I used to. I love the dual smites/divine sacrifices! You could do a dwarf with the same stats as an elf actually and only have 1 less AC if you really want the toughness enhancement and saves.

2. Eladrin told me so.

Why is Eladrin telling you things that he is not telling everyone? If it's a PM I want to see the PM.
    Characters - Brion, Damerchant, Deathbot, Goode-, Minusten, Sepiriz, Spiritstrike, Stee, Steilh, Vorpaal, Wyllye, Yaga, Yagalicious, Yga. RIP - Catpizzle and Qazpe
    Beware My Gifts!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Yaga Nub View Post
    Why is Eladrin telling you things that he is not telling everyone? If it's a PM I want to see the PM.
    It was a PM, but I proablyu deleted it because my mailbox overflowed.

Basicly, he told me to not build a character who would keep his Wisdom bonus while wearing armor.

The monk wisdom (and class) bonus to armor class should essentially function "by the book". This bonus should be lost if wearing any armor, using a shield, or encumbered. It does not check for ki weapons however - it's less restrictive than the monk abilities that require one to remain centered.

I really like this build. I'm currently building a straight monk but am finding the lack of dps (no good handwraps) and HP (monks lower hitpoints) a pain. This build resolves both of those issues while still keeping the main benefits of a monk (high AC) and boosting that further (paladin aura).

Only downsides I see for this: You can't use a shield if you really need to tank up (or need high DR for some reason). You miss out on a few high level automatically granted monk feats such as the SR and improved evasion. Obviously the equipment requirements are high (chattering ring, icy raiment come to mind) but that's typical of any good high level build. It would certainly be an easier build to play - making full use of the Monk Ki abilities requires a lot of manual dexterity, keymaps, and timing.

Until the devs throw some decent named handwraps (suggest: one with a 19-20 crit range, transmuting, green steel), a splash of monk just like this build seems the way to go.

Garth

Garth 20/ftr (Kensei) Haeson 20/clr Cairis 12/ftr 6/rgr 2/rog Xortan 20/wiz
    Tinosa 20/brd Garthbot 20/fvs Gaarth 18/ftr 1/rgr 1/rog (Stal Def)
    Tibetan 20/mnk Automatic DDO raid timers Haezon 20/sor (Conj)

Quote Originally Posted by willphase View Post
    I really like this build. I'm currently building a straight monk but am finding the lack of dps (no good handwraps) and HP (monks lower hitpoints) a pain. This build resolves both of those issues while still keeping the main benefits of a monk (high AC) and boosting that further (paladin aura).

Only downsides I see for this: You can't use a shield if you really need to tank up (or need high DR for some reason). You miss out on a few high level automatically granted monk feats such as the SR and improved evasion. Obviously the equipment requirements are high (chattering ring, icy raiment come to mind) but that's typical of any good high level build. It would certainly be an easier build to play - making full use of the Monk Ki abilities requires a lot of manual dexterity, keymaps, and timing.

Until the devs throw some decent named handwraps (suggest: one with a 19-20 crit range, transmuting, green steel), a splash of monk just like this build seems the way to go.

Garth
    Huh? I have 422 hps on my monk before a Green Steel item.

Quote Originally Posted by Drider View Post
    Huh? I have 422 hps on my monk before a Green Steel item.
    Dwarf?

Quote Originally Posted by Eladrin View Post
    The monk wisdom (and class) bonus to armor class should essentially function "by the book". This bonus should be lost if wearing any armor, using a shield, or encumbered. It does not check for ki weapons however - it's less restrictive than the monk abilities that require one to remain centered.
    Really. I had heard that if you used non monk weapons you lost the wisdom bonus to ac. I would imagine we might see alot more rangers with a monk level splash if this were the case.
    Norg Fighter12/Paladin6/Monk2, Jacquiej Cleric18/Monk1/Wiz1, Rabiez Bard16/Ranger3/Cleric1, Hangover Bard L20, Boomsticks Fighter12/Monk 6/Druid 2, Grumblegut Ranger8/Paladin6/Monk6, Rabidly Rogue L20, Furiously Rogue10/Monk6/Paladin4, Snowcones Cleric 12/Ranger 6/Monk 2, Norge Barbarian 12/FVS4/Rogue4. Guild:Prophets of The New Republic Khyber.

Dwarf?
    Yep... and even if he wasnt it would still be at 372.. which is still **** respectable.

Quote Originally Posted by Drider View Post
    Yep... and even if he wasnt it would still be at 372.. which is still **** respectable.
    I would say more 340.

It's very likely that Dwarven Consitution and the base +2 bonus let you net 32 more HP.

Quote Originally Posted by maddmatt70 View Post
    Really. I had heard that if you used non monk weapons you lost the wisdom bonus to ac. I would imagine we might see alot more rangers with a monk level splash if this were the case.
    its the monk stances and flurry of blows that is lost when you are not centered I believe
    Fallen former minion of the Gelatinous Cube
    Proud Member of Ascent
    Arko Highstar
    Arckos Highstar

Quote Originally Posted by ArkoHighStar View Post
    its the monk stances and flurry of blows that is lost when you are not centered I believe
    Hmm good to know. My guess is that at bab of 20 we might see an additional attack added which would be an argument for fighters, rangers, paladins, etc. to remain pure and not splash monk or rogue or what have you otherwise if you are lawful and are dex based, or have a decent dex you should always splash monk levels..
    Last edited by maddmatt70; 07-03-2008 at 06:00 PM.
    Norg Fighter12/Paladin6/Monk2, Jacquiej Cleric18/Monk1/Wiz1, Rabiez Bard16/Ranger3/Cleric1, Hangover Bard L20, Boomsticks Fighter12/Monk 6/Druid 2, Grumblegut Ranger8/Paladin6/Monk6, Rabidly Rogue L20, Furiously Rogue10/Monk6/Paladin4, Snowcones Cleric 12/Ranger 6/Monk 2, Norge Barbarian 12/FVS4/Rogue4. Guild:Prophets of The New Republic Khyber.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast