Default Cursed Crypt Walkthrough

First of all, thanks to the devs for putting this quest together. It's got a lot of interesting stuff in it, and opportunities for every class and build to use their strengths.

***Disclaimer: the plan set out in this guide is not set in stone. Each party will be able to figure out their own little variation. This is meant to give people an effective starting point from which to work. You're big boys and girls though who each know what works best for yourselves. Find your own strengths and work them into this guide in your own way.***

My guildies and I have run this one a lot with PUGs, and we have nailed down a method that works really well for us.

Walkthrough originally posted here on The Mithril Hand website.

Divide party up into 3 groups.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________
    Group 1: 2 stealthy characters, at least one able to hit hard or nuke. Rangers, bards, and wizards work well.
    -go through entrance sneaking ahead of rest of party, turn left and head towards prison.
    -stop at prison and turn around, then go back through entrance room, West into Eastern Cloister.
    -standing to side of doorways, open each door. Go back into sneak and look inside each room for chest with jeweled key.
    -do not kill any silver flame guys, turn any who see you to stone (immune to all mind affecting spells and songs).
    -if group 1 finds key, send 1 person through d-door and then over to prison to rendezvous with groups 2 and 3 and fight brimstone guardian there.
    -after searching rooms head towards Vamp 2 on map through eastern most door in cloister. Kill the brimstone guardian on the way there and then wait for others to kill prison guardian.

-when specters are free from prison, walk up to barrier blocking entrance to vamp 2 room and specter will port you through the door.
    -go to opposite side of the room from the vampire and silver flame guys and lay out some glitterdust, fire walls, etc.
    -one person with invisibility sneaks up until vampire agros and then turns around and heads back to glitterdust.
    -kill vamp.

-run back to cloister and run north up hallway to use the shrine there.
    -d-door to start and head north up the ramps, through door, up the next ramp and to the right. Head to altar 3.
    -kill specters and brimstone guardian.
    -use altar.
    -head back to middle section in front of the drop to the boss room.
    -help any groups still clearing their altar.

__________________________________________________ ________________________________
    Group 2 and 3: each group will have a caster or cleric, and a tank.
    -rush into entrance room behind group 1 and fight the skeletons that pop up out of the floor.
    -head past prison and keep going until finding an altar where a brimstone guardian will leap out of the floor.
    -kill it.
    -head to Western Cloister, killing everything along the way.
    -carefully check inside each room by standing to the side of the door, pulling the switch, and mouselooking to see inside.
    -do not kill any silver flame guys. If any attack you, let a caster turn them to stone.
    -find chest with jeweled key.
    ***before finding the key, no charms allowed. Charmed enemies will kill silver flame guys***
    -when party finds key,head back to prison and kill brimstone guardian there.

-after killing prison guardian, run to the room labeled Vamp 1.
    -Do not stop to fight anything along the way. Casters drop firewalls at the entrance, then walk into the specter to port into the room.
    -group gathers on opposite side of the room from vamp and followers.
    -glitterdust, firewalls, bladebarrier, etc around group.
    -One person who is invis sneaks over until vamp agros, then returns to party.
    -kill vamp.
    -use shrine found back past cloister and up the north hallway.
    -d-door to start and run north up ramps, through doors, up the next ramps and to the left.

Group 2 Splits Off
    -go to room labeled altar 1.
    -use altar.
    -help any group still clearing their altar.
    -then head back to top of ramp in front of drop to boss

Group 3 Splits Off

-go to room labeled altar 2.
    -use altar.
    -help any group still clearing their altar.
    head back to top of ramp in front of drop to boss.

All Groups Reunite

-buff up party with buffs that boost will saves.
    -drop down to boss room.
    -either nuke the whole room, or if you want extra chest (no named loot in extra) have casters target war priests first and turn them to stone, then using enervate to first lower their saves, turn the elite templars to stone.
    -pull the vamp over to a corner, drop glitterdust everywhere, and nuke him, the specters, and any wolves that may have appeared.
    -take book of stand and get your chest(s).
    -a shrine will have opened off the south corner of the room. The bonus chest for not killing any silver flame will appear in that shrine after talking to the guy in there.
    Last edited by Ghoste; 01-13-2008 at 02:51 PM.
    My Videos Shadow Mage (ok, it's a build now)
    A forum post should be like a skirt - long enough to cover the subject material, but short enough to keep things interesting.
    Britches and Hose kidnapped my dog and are forcing him to farm Shroud ingredients.

Poor guide. Too complicated and too specific to your particular party which anyone require a guide at all will most likely not have ..

I mean you basicly need this exact party to do that:
    1:Rog + wiz with high stealth and good flesh to stone dc..
    2:"Tank" + Wiz (you say or cleric, but then you later say to flesh to stone so clerics not any good)
    3:tank + wiz (same as before)

Oh and every character has to self heal well and be stealthy? what?

Then you mention to put up lots of firewalls in the room with vampire + 4 silver flames like thats a good idea.. If your doing this in a pug, 99% of the time someone is going to lure some of those guys into your firewall so thats pretty dangerous to be casting those.

And glitterdust the vampire? What?
    Hmm vampires does this:
    Runs around like crazy, doesnt melee, cast the odd spell
    Mobs under the effect of glitterdust do this:
    Runs around like crazy, doesnt melee, cast the odd spell (and blindness has no effect on there targetting of spells)

So yea not sure the point of that.

Far superior spell is solid fog to slow him down while you kill him either with: melee, healing or nukes (mm, force missles, or carefully aimed disintegrate work best)

Add a few webs to the solid fog and you do not even need to flesh to stone the silver flames around - and being the paladins have like 20+ fort save, and lower reflex, it works much better.

Anyways, too specific and complex: score 1 of 5

We zerg this and when you get to the rooms with the vamps either a) FTS silver flame guys which resists a ton or b) have 1 high ac tank person charge in and take aggro of all silver flame guys while the grp pulls vamp away and kills in firewall/disintegrate. Either way you need to pull vamp away.

It's a pretty easy quest actually.

Guide looks good. I run this a LOT on Khyber, leading PUGs through it (especially when I was still hunting a Jinx's Vexation).

What sort of time do you usually take to complete it? With a good group I tended to take 20-23 min (splitting the party but into 2 groups not 3 as they didn't know the quest as well as me). Weaker groups 30-40 minutes.
    I don't have a zerging problem.

I'm zerging. That's YOUR problem.

Most groups can complete it under 20 minutes following this method. A good group under 15.

Shade misunderstood quite a bit. Let me clarify.
    -Stealth was only recommended for group 1. If group 1 is not stealthy, it doesn't take a genius to modify the plan and just have them do 1 or 2 more fights on the way to the eastern cloister. The guide is written that way, because if you do have the stealth abilities available to your party there is a huge opportunity to take advantage of. If you don't have that, don't sit here staring at the guide for hours trying to figure out how to get over to the eastern cloister without sneaking. Just go do it.
    -And not just wizardsd and rogues...don't know why you even said that. Bards and rangers are great too.
    -Perhaps I should put a disclaimer in for those not clever enough to figure that out.
    -If a group has a cleric instead of a caster, then use spells other than firewall.
    -I run this in PUGs all the time. Just make sure they know to stay on the opposite side of the room as the silver flame and it will be very easy to avoid pulling them into the firewall.
    -Glitterdust prevents enemies from hiding = killing a vampire 3 times as fast.
    -And yes, it is a guide that assumes most of the party members are self healing.
    -I said wiz or cleric, and it does work, because if you read the guide fully you would have noticed that this group is paired with another group for the part where flesh to stone is needed. Those two groups only separate for the altars, and there are no silver flame up there.
    -If you don't have exactly 3 tanks, you'll have a caster and a cleric together, or two casters, or two clerics, or two tanks. Be versatile with whatever party you get. Just make sure the groups know what quest objectives are assigned to them.

Any other questions?
    Last edited by Ghoste; 01-13-2008 at 03:00 PM.
    A forum post should be like a skirt - long enough to cover the subject material, but short enough to keep things interesting.
    Britches and Hose kidnapped my dog and are forcing him to farm Shroud ingredients.

Interesting also that I seem to be the only person who kills Maldetto without F2Sing the Silver Flame hostages.

Firing off maximised Scorching Rays from the top of a jump (this takes both the Jump spell and timing) works well on him too. I'd use F2S, but Myrmidral has other level 6 spells.

Quote Originally Posted by sirgog
    Interesting also that I seem to be the only person who kills Maldetto without F2Sing the Silver Flame hostages.
    Nope, you aren't the only one. If I'm soloing or in a duo in this quest then I do the invisibility trick to grabbing the vampire. I tend to get far too many people who don't understand stealth to do it in larger groups.
    Server - Thelanis
    Diaries of a True Reincarnate (Wizard, Sorcerer, Melee, Divine, Artificer, Druid)

Quote Originally Posted by MrCow View Post
    Nope, you aren't the only one. If I'm soloing or in a duo in this quest then I do the invisibility trick to grabbing the vampire. I tend to get far too many people who don't understand stealth to do it in larger groups.
    I mostly haven't had people have problems for the first 2 vamps, but the last one I have never been able to get a group to pull him without the silver flame - just solo.

You mentioned soloing the quest. Out of interest, how do you pull that off?

Have tried several times, the dreaded roll of 1 vs. Feeblemind has got me every time. Usually quite early on - the arcane skeles seem to spam it vs. a lone caster. I know where they spawn & drop a firewall before they do, but never seem to kill them fast enough :-(.

Stealth. My main character, and a lowbie i'm leveling now, have maxed out stealth skills and gear for a wiz. I cast haste to sneak a bit faster. As a result, the skeletons never jump up out of the floor unless i stop sneaking. The only time I ever encounter eternal wizards is the two accompanying the brimstone guardian at the prison. I open the door from the side, set up a firewall, then run out in front of it. I try to run back and forth through the door as they come through to the same side as me. They usually die pretty quickly.

The fights I do have to do are:
    -brimstone guardian on the way to western cloister, and past eastern cloister (no arcanes there).
    -any room in the cloisters with a chest in it (not always though. If they arent facing the chest I'll just take the key and leave).
    -guardian at the prison (2 arcanes there)
    -2 vampire apparitions (pull them with stealth to opposite end of room).
    -3 brimstone guardians at altars upstairs, accompanying specters, and skeleton archers at one.
    -Maldetto, pull him with stealth around pillar at the south end making sure a pillar blocks line of sight with silver flame, nuke him and specters there.

Everything else in the quest has no idea i was even there, and my spell points go really far.

Community Member Cedrica-the-Bard's Avatar

My strength based Warchanter can solo this with stealth, speed and song of the dead.

Yea it's not too bad to solo on normal. On elite the vamp tends to save a bit and brings the SP cost up to kill him rather high, tho I duo'd it on elite with a cleric easy enough.

Did on my sorc once on normal. Don't have any stealth skill or anything fancy, I just knew the locations of the evil arcane skeletons well enough to nuke them before they had much chance to cast. Pretty much 1 delayed blast fireball does the trick on them 95% of the time, if not i follow it up with a regular fireball and there done.

For the vamp I just used web and solid fog scroll on the silver flames, then disintegrated him quickly (hes imune to solid fog so he runs thru real quick while the silver falme are all slow and stuck) . I do have flesh to stone but it wasn't worth the high SP cost due to there uber fort saves. (very low reflex saves tho so web works great)

The stealth trick is a cool idea tho, props for using it.. Never thought of that myself in the dozens and dozens of runs i've done - tho I rarely brought a rog or other stealth char that could pull it off anyways.

Overall i've found that the solid fog thing works the nicest.. Often had a good wiz with me who would extend it (havent got it on my sorc, just a big stack of scrolls) so it would last the whole fight and thus save allot of sp. For killing, clerics with a strong heal spell works best, but if your willing to burn SP disintegrate works fine on normal, or elite if you curse him first.. Another option is MM/Force missles, nice because it never misses - tho it burns SP pretty quickly.

Gonna necro this thread a bit. OR a lot. Jeez. a year.

If I complete the cursed crypt, will I have to redo all the pre-reqs to open it again? Or can I open it any time now that I have completed the pre-reqs?

ya only have to redo it if you try to take any o fthe lowbie tombs for favor

Quote Originally Posted by rest View Post
    Gonna necro this thread a bit. OR a lot. Jeez. a year.

If I complete the cursed crypt, will I have to redo all the pre-reqs to open it again? Or can I open it any time now that I have completed the pre-reqs?
    You only need to flag for it once, just don't pick up the other quests again
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkat View Post
    Hi Welcome was first used in the DDO Forums on June 13th, 2009 in the Argonnessen forums by Milamber69.
    Milamberr ~ Tempes ~ Coldrage ~ Temphealz ~ Temptunez ~ Tempstar

Quote Originally Posted by Hobgoblin View Post
    ya only have to redo it if you try to take any o fthe lowbie tombs for favor
    Awesome thank you I finally got through the awful pre-reqs and didnt want to have to do em again.

http://caffeinated.guildportal.com/G...opicID=8324077

maybe the cursed crypt fraps will help peeps out.

just click on part 1. after its finished you can either click part 2 from the same page or look for it in my other videos. hope it helps.

Caffeine, We aren't strategically savvy!™.
    Video Archive of Quests