Default The Fate of Half Races

https://www.xfire.com/dungeons-and-d...ibextid=Zxz2cZ

It appears that WotC are phasing out the half-elf and Half-orc races. Given this information, and the fact that wildmen are being slowly taken out of the game starting with the Droaam update, will these races be disappearing from DDO as well?
    Sohryu ~ Raven's Guard ~ Orien

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    Traps in DDO don't actually deal damage, they politely ask your avatar to damage themselves.

Already discussed (and closed due to topic expanding to "politics"): see this thread: https://forums.ddo.com/forums/showth...ve-the-Wildmen!

Short version - DDO has voiced no intention of removing Horcs/Helfs, and the removal of Wild Men was unrelated.

Community Member ShifterThePirate's Avatar

It's not really removing the option though. It's just hiding it under the 'species background options'

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by ShifterThePirate View Post
    It's not really removing the option though. It's just hiding it under the 'species background options'
    In the unlikely event DDO does make a change any time soon, I imagine it will be very minor:

-'Half-orc' becomes 'Orc'
    -'Half-elf' becomes whatever term is adopted in the Eberron setting for that race

Half-elves are an essential part of Eberron lore through their dragonmark, and are already a distinct cultural group. So I'd expect them to be retained, albeit cast in the same way as Tieflings and Shifters (effectively a separate race).

But even that seems unlikely for a while.

Default I See the Danger

This topic is inherently charged for every player. When it was first announced all my tabletop friends agreed to keep using the half elf half work half races.

There was talk after the initial backlash of wotc coming out with a half race template which would allow players to make any race a half race.

Conflict is the core of Dungeons & Dragons it seems that wotc is convinced on removing it.

I know my tabletop group and my friends that are also DM their own group are simply going to ignore wotc and this new rule.

I think right now there's a lot going on one D&D is being renamed and refitted for more of a 5.5 edition then a new system.

If you're not aware of the recent summit D&D held. It was turned into a player rebellion essentially putting wotc and Hasbro on its heels.

I think it will be years before this plays itself out. The ogl and the new VTT that Hasbro is marketing
    I can see players pulling an "Ascension" or Their own version of "Vanilla WOW" with this. Should be interesting.
    Last edited by EdsanDarkbane; 04-10-2023 at 07:37 AM.
    Using Trackless Step,
    Kyoshiro

The Hatchery
    2014 & 2016 DDO Players Council

Is this thread about getting fate points for half-elf past lives?

Ah...

Never mind, let me get out of here before it is too late....

drat...
    DDO: If a problem cannot be solved by the application of DPS, you're not applying enough.

Is it to much to ask that this game be kept out of the politically correct nonsense?
    It is a game and should not be confused with real-life sensibility.
    I mean you would not, or at least I hope you wouldn't, kick in the doors of a temple and slaughter everyone but in the game that happens every other quest.

I do not want the real world to encroach into the game otherwise you end up with The Sims.

I for one play DDO to escape the real world for a time.
    If it ain't broke, you're not trying hard enough.

Community Member ShifterThePirate's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WiseFreelancer View Post
    In the unlikely event DDO does make a change any time soon, I imagine it will be very minor:

-'Half-orc' becomes 'Orc'
    -'Half-elf' becomes whatever term is adopted in the Eberron setting for that race

Half-elves are an essential part of Eberron lore through their dragonmark, and are already a distinct cultural group. So I'd expect them to be retained, albeit cast in the same way as Tieflings and Shifters (effectively a separate race).

But even that seems unlikely for a while.
    Well they could make it optional choices like the new Archetypes are for classes. Like first choose species and then a background.

Orc main species and background choices a. mountain orc b. grey orc c. human orc etc.
    Elf main species and background choices a. high elf b. wood elf. c. human elf d. drow elf etc.

9. 04-10-2023, 09:56 AM

10. 04-10-2023, 10:08 AM

Community Manager

No politics.
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter YouTube
    Join us on Twitch!
    Hello from Standing Stone Games! Facebook Twitter
    For Support: https://help.standingstonegames.com