Community Member

Default Solo Sacred Fist -any point to Rogue Splash?

I'm a life long Monk player in all D&D games -computer, not pnp. I'm trying Sacred Fist because it seems less button intensive than Monk.
    I hate having to pass up locked chests and triggering traps. Is it ultimately pointless to take a couple levels of Rogue (lvl 1 and around 6) to keep my disable device and open lock skills useful?
    I only have 12 INT, so I don't have tons of skill points to really keep my cross class skills up to snuff.
    I've been looking for a valid sacred fist with trap skills but not much luck. Maybe it's just not a valid build.
    I'm also looking at a level of monk to add stances.

I'm currently working with Strimtom's Drow Sacred Fist, and subbing in a couple of rogue levels, but I'm afraid that it is going to end up being a waste of levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerril View Post
    I'm a life long Monk player in all D&D games -computer, not pnp. I'm trying Sacred Fist because it seems less button intensive than Monk.
    I hate having to pass up locked chests and triggering traps. Is it ultimately pointless to take a couple levels of Rogue (lvl 1 and around 6) to keep my disable device and open lock skills useful?
    I only have 12 INT, so I don't have tons of skill points to really keep my cross class skills up to snuff.
    I've been looking for a valid sacred fist with trap skills but not much luck. Maybe it's just not a valid build.
    I'm also looking at a level of monk to add stances.

I'm currently working with Strimtom's Drow Sacred Fist, and subbing in a couple of rogue levels, but I'm afraid that it is going to end up being a waste of levels.
    To make it work you would need a full set of gear to swap in for traps, keeping spot/wisdom on your main set (unless you have all traps memorized)

Even then with a base of 12INT I'm not sure you could keep up at the high end of the game.

1 level of rogue action boots and equipment boosts for rogue skills disable device and open lock when needed.
    https://ddowiki.com/page/DDO_informa...raps_and_locks
    this might help in determining the numbers you need for success in each.
    the 2nd level of rogue is usually for evasion ( they way characters walk though traps now not sure your need it)
    but then dont know what you have in your build for that.
    without rogue or art level you dont have access to disable device.
    I think barbarian has a bash to open chests ( locks)

Community Member

Thanks guys. I guess there's no harm in trying it out and seeing how it goes.
    There's just a LOT to this game, and so much has changed since I originally played, so I'll take any advice.

For most content, I just use Froggo (the rogue hireling from Saltmarsh). He can really be a lifesaver sub level 10, where traps can really get you. After that, your saves should be high enough to run through any trap in the game. You will have to give up the occasional locked chest every now and then, but most of them are not worth it anyway.
    Member: Circle of Night (Cristyle Sunn, Grygor Sunn, WarChild Sunn)
    Magic is a curious thing; full of hope and promise one minute, then someone summons a t-rex jet fighter to kill you.

So, this is on an existing alt? Then no; you "always" want to take your Trapper level (Rog or Arti, or, now, Dark Hunter) at level 1, to maximize the skill points. By starting now, you are doubly screwed, as you'd not only have to "maintain" the skills but first you'd have to play catch up - which you simply won't be able to do with all of Spot, Search and DD (not to mention OL).

What you could do is ignore trapping (no Spot, Search or DD), and simply go with 1 skill, Open Locks. THAT you can do with a low Int and minimal spare Skill Point. And OL is Dex-based, so that might be (a little?) easier than Int to maintain. Even with marginal gear (and the patience to wait until you roll high enough) you can get ~95% of the locks in the game.

Any spare pts could go towards UMD, which is always nice to have.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenicis View Post
    To make it work you would need a full set of gear to swap in for traps, keeping spot/wisdom on your main set (unless you have all traps memorized)

Even then with a base of 12INT I'm not sure you could keep up at the high end of the game.
    And by "full set of gear", that includes Skill, Stat and Enhancement bonuses, an investment you may not find easy to achieve.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by C-Dog View Post
    So, this is on an existing alt? Then no; you "always" want to take your Trapper level (Rog or Arti, or, now, Dark Hunter) at level 1, to maximize the skill points.
    I took rogue at level 1. I'm just level 3 and questing in Stormreach but I've been testing classes and builds over and over and wanted some advice before i commit.

Community Member

Honestly, the way I play Sacred Fist I think the two rogue splash is mandatory. I do most of my AP spend in VKF and fight with daggers since I consider the VKF tree far better than the SF tree. I usually spend 25 AP in SF to get Light of Glory and the other Charisma and 8 in Assassin to get the +3 imbue dice.
    Andrialla / Archellus / Kadarin / Mercantile Joe
    Knight of The Silver Legion (Forum name: Rugar)
    Cannith / Orien

I took rogue at level 1. I'm just level 3 and questing in Stormreach but I've been testing classes and builds over and over and wanted some advice before i commit.
    Ah, got it.

Well, then it comes down to simple math. You have to be realistic about your Skill Points. Add your preferred-class default points (SF = 2) plus Int (+ Human?), and see how many Trapping Skills you can support (i9n addition to whatever "basic" skills you feel you need).

If you can't support full trapping on that math, then you have 3 (well, 4, see bottom) choices:

1) drop some skills (as suggested above, dump Spot and just focus on Search + DD, done. 4 Ranks of OL (plus decent swap gear) can get ~most~ locks in game (tho' some few will be beyond you). Or ignore "trapping" entirely, and go with just Open Lock, call it good. Whatever the math demands.)

...or...

2) intersperse more levels of Rogue, to "play catch up" at those levels,

...and/or...

3) find a 3rd class to splash in that has more skill points (and/or more in-class trapping skills!)

For 2 & 3, accept that you don't have to keep all skills maxed at every level; you can ignore some for a level or three, and then catch back up to max when you take the high-skill-point class. This takes some planning - a Character Planner is highly recommended so you have a clear, visual confirmation that your plan will work, AND a clear blueprint to follow when leveling up (as things can get confusing if you're being "tricky" with details).

The 4th option is... Int tomes. You could buy one, or wait until you earn one, +2 (1,750 Favor*), +5 (5,000) or +8 (7,500). Obviously, these work better if you have them from Chargen (typically 2nd life etc.) - they won't help with Level 1, but will start to help immediately after.

(* If you own all content, it's mathematically possible to earn 1,750 Favor at Level 4 (it requires Level 7 quests), altho' more reasonably you'd get it around Level 7-8 at the earliest. Depends on your patience and willingness to bank XP, and let stronger party members do the heavy lifting during those over-level quests. )

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by C-Dog View Post
    The 4th option is... Int tomes. You could buy one, or wait until you earn one, +2 (1,750 Favor*), +5 (5,000) or +8 (7,500). Obviously, these work better if you have them from Chargen (typically 2nd life etc.) - they won't help with Level 1, but will start to help immediately after.

(* If you own all content, it's mathematically possible to earn 1,750 Favor at Level 4 (it requires Level 7 quests), altho' more reasonably you'd get it around Level 7-8 at the earliest. Depends on your patience and willingness to bank XP, and let stronger party members do the heavy lifting during those over-level quests. )
    Small reminder that all new characters start off with a +0 lesser heart.
    Earning the first +2 tome also coincides with Champion status for more build points for people without it.

Extra skill points might be a perfectly good reason to rebuild with the tome active.
    Enthusiasm enthusiast enthusiast.