Default Rogue quarterstaff build brainstorming

Hello there,

I´ve recently started getting interest to work on quarterstaff build as a rogue with a possibility of multiclassing monk levels and prehaps some extra class. I`m aiming to get the Spear of mournlands or some other endgame qstaff for final gearlist.
    It´s been a slight challenge to dig anything viable out of forums as mostly comprehensive posts been around U51 or older.

One particular post is Zeus build as 12 rog/6 pal/ 2 mnk. Problem with it is the fact that it is 6 year old build so it might not work properly. It still has decent core mechanics.
    Another older one I found was 12 rog/5 ftr/3 drd. Druid levels for Shillelagh buff and maybe something from wolf tree was alright, but sadly Shillelagh doesn´t work with endgame metal based staves.

Pure rogue or monk might work just as good but my goal is to work something out from Shadar-Kai as this alt have only 3 monk past lives.
    Current Epic Destinies also create slight headache to choose from. Fury works great with THF, but Crusader and Dreadnought also has interesting options. Another mixed choice comes with Acrobat aoe KD and Dreadnought aoe KD with the difference another being regular KD and another KD with stun.

I haven´t build with builder anything prepared to post, but I´m looking for opinions on things mentioned above and prehaps detailed builds if someone has.

I have just brought an alt out of storage

13Rogue/6monk/1 Fighter
    Grandmaster Air/Wis depending on content - I haven't played much with it (ETR to 20 recently).
    Something to consider...

Drow DEX based - DEX bonus and improved ranged DPS with Shuriken
    (extra throw % based on DEX - stacking)

13 Rogue
    Improved Evasion
    Defensive Roll
    Full Spot/Search/OL/DD/Diplo/UMD with some Balance and Jump
    Arcobat 5
    Sneak Attack
    Qstaff speed with DEX to hit and DMG

6 Monk
    Shadow Veil (25% miss chance)
    Shuriken (extra throw % based on DEX - stacking)
    Extra sneak attack
    Tier 4 Monk Stances
    Feats - allows for Cleave/Great Cleave with Full Two Handed Fighting

1 Fighter
    Extra Feat...
    Sarlona - Guildmaster - Brotherhood of Redemption - ddoborguild.com - 2016 & 2017 Players Council --- Alts: Acetylene, Antimematter, CNG, Dilithium Crystal, EMF, EMPulse, Exothermic, Geothermal, Hexane, Hexyne, Hydropower, JA, Kerosene, LPG, Natural Gas, Nuclearpower, Propane, Solarpannel, Tidalpower, WASOB, Waulter, Windpower, Woodpile

It might be worth trying a pure rogue version first so you know what you're losing if you give up Acrobat Core 5&6 which are both quite good.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Pure rogue or monk has a lot going for them from their respective trees:

Acrobat

• Cartwheel Charge: After tumbling, you gain a +2 Morale bonus to Strength and Dexterity for 12 seconds. Passively provides: +2 to maximum dodge, and +20% Doublestrike while using staves.
    • Followthrough: You gain +2 Strength and Dexterity, +1 to hit and +2 damage with quarterstaves, +5% attack speed with quarterstaves, +2 critical hit damage with all weapons, +2 Balance, Jump, and Tumble, +2 Sneak Attack dice and +2 to hit when performing Sneak Attacks. After tumbling with a staff equipped, for 12 seconds gain +50% strikethrough chance and gain On Vorpal: Your target is knocked down.

Henshin

• +4 Wisdom
    • +10 Concentration
    • +1 Passive Ki Generation
    • +15 Melee Power
    • +2 Fire Resistance
    • Enemies have an additional -2 Fire Resistance against your spells.
    • While wielding a quarterstaff inside your Cauldron of Flame, you gain +5 to hit and damage, and a +1 Critical Multiplier. +15% attack speed with quarterstaves.

Also with Universal Enhancement trees, you no longer need to splash to add a Battle Trance:
    • DEX-based Acrobat can spend 13 APs into Horizon Walker (now available from DDO Store) for No Step Missed ("You gain an Insight bonus to damage and the DC of tactical feats equal to 1/2 of your Dexterity modifier for [30/60/120] seconds").
    • WIS-based Henshin can spend 23 APs into Falconry for WIS to-hit & damage and Deadly Instinct ("You gain an Insight bonus to damage and the DC of Tactical feats equal to 1/2 of your Wisdom modifier for 30/60/120 seconds").

So before multiclassing a staff build, ask yourself what you want to be able to add to your toon that's lacking from either pure rogue or pure monk.
    Semi-retired Build Engineer. Everything was better back in our day. Get off my lawn.

did a elf - rogue - cleric Aureon/knowledge
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...4-Rogue-Cleric

its 3rd life and is ok at level epics for low reaper as well.

you might get idea's from the post.
    I no longer use the great crossbow and have since removed IPS from feats.
    war priest favored weapon is quarterstaff.

might like sorcery with EK strike .
    Last edited by archest; 03-09-2022 at 01:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    Pure rogue or monk has a lot going for them from their respective trees:

Acrobat

• Cartwheel Charge: After tumbling, you gain a +2 Morale bonus to Strength and Dexterity for 12 seconds. Passively provides: +2 to maximum dodge, and +20% Doublestrike while using staves.
    • Followthrough: You gain +2 Strength and Dexterity, +1 to hit and +2 damage with quarterstaves, +5% attack speed with quarterstaves, +2 critical hit damage with all weapons, +2 Balance, Jump, and Tumble, +2 Sneak Attack dice and +2 to hit when performing Sneak Attacks. After tumbling with a staff equipped, for 12 seconds gain +50% strikethrough chance and gain On Vorpal: Your target is knocked down.

Henshin

• +4 Wisdom
    • +10 Concentration
    • +1 Passive Ki Generation
    • +15 Melee Power
    • +2 Fire Resistance
    • Enemies have an additional -2 Fire Resistance against your spells.
    • While wielding a quarterstaff inside your Cauldron of Flame, you gain +5 to hit and damage, and a +1 Critical Multiplier. +15% attack speed with quarterstaves.

Also with Universal Enhancement trees, you no longer need to splash to add a Battle Trance:
    • DEX-based Acrobat can spend 13 APs into Horizon Walker (now available from DDO Store) for No Step Missed ("You gain an Insight bonus to damage and the DC of tactical feats equal to 1/2 of your Dexterity modifier for [30/60/120] seconds").
    • WIS-based Henshin can spend 23 APs into Falconry for WIS to-hit & damage and Deadly Instinct ("You gain an Insight bonus to damage and the DC of Tactical feats equal to 1/2 of your Wisdom modifier for 30/60/120 seconds").

So before multiclassing a staff build, ask yourself what you want to be able to add to your toon that's lacking from either pure rogue or pure monk.
    Alright I will go with pure rogue acrobat since it seems better of the two options. I don´t really like the concept of henshin with the core spells.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by hiiriX View Post
    Alright I will go with pure rogue acrobat since it seems better of the two options. I don´t really like the concept of henshin with the core spells.

My stick build is focused on AC and tactics since I hate dying and kill count don't matter if you wipe.

It's similar In A lot of ways to the rogue tank in this section, in that 1ts 17/3 with monk, and it uses AC % multipliers from winter set, mountain stance, and filigree sets.

The monk levels give wis to AC and some defense and dex in enhancements.

Unbongwah is right, mumticlass carefully in this current meta. In my case, the adept, master and grandmaster of forms replaces the lost stats from no pure cap, and adds the stance AC. And monkiness adds general survivability and quality of life. I even use the healing curse.

250ac 150prr 100mrr 2200hp are doable. And a very usable stun, trip, drifting lotus, and EiN make for fun play in most content up to R5

Community Member

The addition of universal trees definitely made it easier to go pure and gain capstones without losing stuff.

Community Member

Thundercatz Ho!

End up with dust/ooze/vacuum x7 adrenaline + boulder's might crits, or effectively x12 adrenaline + boulder's might crits.

Tabaxi? Non-lawful 8 Rogue 7 Wiz 5 Barb w/ SoS x3

7 Wiz gives LGS Dust + Ooze on extended death auras, or effectively another +3 multiplier

ED
    Divine Crusader T5 gives vulnerability and full BaB from mantle with staves, or effectively another +2 multiplier
    FoTW T4 gives adrenaline +16 range and boulder's might +2 multiplier

32 AP FB +2 Multiplier
    23 TA gives 30% helpless
    13 gives dex trance
    15? racial gives stuffs (deflect arrows)

12 Misc gets stuffs

Str 17 eventually only need start 13 if you have +4 tome, Max Dex, Good Con, Ok Int/Wis/Cha

1 R1 Dodge (Dex 13)
    2 B1
    3 R2 Mobility
    4 B2
    5 R3
    6 B3 Whirlwind Attack
    7 B4
    8 R4
    9 B5 THF1 (Str 15, Tomes +4)
    10 Wiz1 Extend
    11 R5
    12 Wiz2 IC:B
    13 Wiz3
    14 R6
    15 Wiz 4 THF2 (Str 17, Tomes +6)
    16 R7
    17 Wiz5 Quicken
    18 Wiz6 THF3
    19 Wiz7
    20 Rogue 8 (Imp. Uncanny Dodge)
    21 Spring Attack
    22 THF4
    24 Precision
    25 Doublestrike
    27 OC
    28 Law
    30 Epic Fort Arborea

Edit: swapped defensive roll with helpless damage and brought WWA in.
    Last edited by Tilomere; 09-03-2022 at 05:34 PM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tilomere View Post

Thundercatz Ho!

End up with dust/ooze/vacuum x7 adrenaline + boulder's might crits, or effectively x12 adrenaline + boulder's might crits.

Tabaxi Non-lawful 8 Rogue 7 Wiz 5 Barb w/ SoS x3

7 Wiz gives LGS Dust + Ooze on extended death auras, or effectively another +3 multiplier

ED
    Divine Crusader T5 gives vulnerability and full BaB from mantle with staves, or effectively another +2 multiplier
    FoTW T4 gives adrenaline +16 range and boulder's might +2 multiplier

32 AP FB +2 Multiplier
    23 TA gives Defensive roll 50%
    13 gives dex trance
    15 racial gives tabaxi stuffs (defensive roll/deflect arrows)

12 Misc gets stuffs (more damage/strikethrough/helpless/sweeping)

Str 13, Max Dex, Good Con, Ok Int/Wis/Cha

1 R1 PA (Str 13)
    2 B1
    3 R2 THF1 (Str 15, Tomes +3)
    4 B2
    5 R3
    6 B3 Dodge
    7 B4
    8 R4
    9 B5 THF2 (Str 17, Tomes +4)
    10 Wiz1 Extend
    11 R5
    12 Wiz2 IC:B
    13 Wiz3
    14 R6
    15 Wiz 4 Mobility
    16 R7
    17 Wiz5 Quicken
    18 Wiz6 THF3
    19 Wiz7
    20 Rogue 8 (Imp. Uncanny Dodge)
    21 Spring Attack
    22 THF4
    24 OC
    25 Doublestrike
    27 Epic Reflex
    28 Law
    30 Epic Fort Arborea
    Just tested on Lam, cannot take TA Defensive roll bonus with Tabaxi Nine Lives

11. 09-03-2022, 05:34 PM