Community Member

Default Dex tank/healer Cleric 15 / Paladin 5 Aasimar

Heya folks. First things first .. typos are part of my charm. I'll be updating / editing time to time ( or perhaps never if there's no questions for clatification. )

Over the last couple months I've gotten a lot of questions about my tanky healy Cleric Paladin first lifer. I started playing on a different server and wanted to run some raids. Raids need tanks and healers so I went with both. The problem most people have with playing a tank is that they can't solo and are kinda boring the 99% of the time when a tank isn't needed. After getting dragged into tanking higher reapers on this first life tank I decided to duplicate the build on a completionist on another server. I thought it would be nice to see the difference between having the past lives and having no past lives would have on being able to tank.

Both characters can solo lower reaper thanks to the Primal Avatar thorn line and the CC from The Bitter Edge. Both characters can tank most low reaper raids and can heal most raids as well.

There is a great deal of min/max/optimizing that can be done and changes to both build and gear could get "the most" out of it. The goal hasn't been to get the most out of it however. Tanking r8 - r10 on a 28 point build ( before the lesser reincarnation ) made me think that most people don't play tanks because they are boring and don't do damage coupled with the idea that tanks are too much in the spot light ... if you fail while tanking then people will complain and bad mouth. I've found the build to be a LOT of fun, very forgiving, and groups have appreciated having a tank and healer rolled into one.

Gearing is pretty painless though the gear is different on each character since the first lifer version doesn't have a wide range of gear stock piled. While it's possible to have no raid gear and still work, 2 items from the Dryad raid have a big quality of life boost... The Bitter Edge and Icon of the Bitterwind

The Stats:
    Completionist Version:

Str 8
    Dex 8
    Con 18
    Int 8
    Wis 18
    Cha 16

This character does have +8 tomes. Level ups into Con

First Life Version:

Str 8
    Dex 8
    Con 18
    Int 10
    Wis 10
    Cha 16

This character does have +7 tomes. Level ups into Con

https://imgur.com/O78XvvQ

https://imgur.com/W6efjWg

The Feats:

Cleric Domain = Animal Domain for the Hit Points and Feral Charge

The rest of the feats are pretty typical: Shield Mastery line, Toughness, Follower of the Sovereign Host - Unyielding Sovereignty. I do take Empower Healing, Maximize, and Quicken. For epic feats there's Bulwark, Deific Warding, Elusive Target, Perfect Shield Mastery, Epic Damage Reduction, and Scion of Celestia

The feats between the two versions are a little different .. the completionist feat for example. I've played around with the feats a little bit with the completionist having Guardian Angel atm instead of Elusive target

HP on the completionist with ship buffs and sacred defense is 3952. The temporary hit points go to 5318 due to the temp HP from Domain of Animals ( boost to con of half cleric levels when a charge of turn undead is used ) and the temp HP from Shard Storm thanks to At It's Core ( 25% max hp for 12 seconds )

Healing: The completionist has 32 Turn Undead for Positive Energy Burst, 7 Healing Hands, 2 Unyielding Sovereignty, and 13 CON based area of effect Lay on Hands. The first lifer doesn't have as many Turns nor LOHs. Without a huge mana pool, these along with renewal are the primary ways to heal. SLA cure moderate and Heal being the secondary means.

The Enhancements:

3 Trees are used
    Aasimar for Tower Shield, Healing Hands, Heal Amp, and Ascendant Bond: Protector
    Radiant Servant for the Healing and Turn Undead
    Sacred Defender for Lay on Hands charges and general tankiness

The enhancement trees are a bit different currently mainly to compare / contrast a few of the options.

https://imgur.com/67FFu5f

https://imgur.com/Jf4qBu5

The Epic Destinies:

The temp HP and the damage from the Thorn line in Primal Avatar is really the bread and butter of the build. Of course all of the tankiness and healing from the Enhancements and the Unyielding Sentinel trees are the foundation of the build. The Primal Avatar tree offers the damage and temp HP that define the play style. Carrion Swarm damage over time does good aoe damage AND will help proc the freeze from The Bitter Edge. The damage from Shard Storm is nice and can also proc the freeze but it's the temp boost to HP that make it so fun.

https://imgur.com/giGFooZ

The Gear:

The first life character was the first version of this build I did. Duplicated the build on the completionist was because I wanted to see how much of a difference the past lives etc would make. With that said, the completionist does have more gearing options due to having more gear in the shared bank.

Gearing the first life character was super easy and very quick. I DID however get very lucky and pulled my The Bitter Edge on the first Dryad raid I did for this character and the Icon of the Bitterwind on about the 3rd run.

https://imgur.com/o8vPoVK

The screenshot is from the completionist.
    (f) = first lifer
    (c) = completionist

Goggles: Collective Sight : (f) wis13 - insight cha 6. (c) cha +13 - cha +6
    Helm: Legendary Skullduggery Cap swap to Legendary Sacred Helm
    Necklace: Legendary Standard Issue Sigil
    Trinket: Icon of the Bitterwind
    Cloak: Legendary Cloak of Winter
    Belt: (f) Legendary Direbear Belt. (c) Legendary Silverthread Belt
    Ring: (f) Legendary Celestial Topaz CHA +13. (c) Celestial Emerald CON +13
    Gloves: The Prince's Gauntlets
    Boots: Legendary Deep Snow
    Ring: Legendary Nocturne Ring
    Bracers: (f) Legendary Hallowed Castigators. (c) Legendary Cold Iron
    Armor: Legendary Plate of the Winter Solstice
    Weapon: The Bitter Edge
    Shield: I swap alot .. mainly for the lawls but mainly use Bulwark of Snow, Mirrorplate, Demonic Slab, Aegis of Aosu'riel

The First Lifer does use a Nullification Augment to power the poison spell damage from Primal Avatar

Filigrees:
    Currently Unbreakable set and The City's Beacon set

I haven't posted any guides since Druids were first introduced so it's been awhile. I hope you enjoy checking the build and please don't hesitate to ask any questions, give any feedback, or make any suggestions. Take care and have fun.

Super cool build, I actually just rolled up a cleric to sit at cap as a healer, and I was going to make a tank next. I think I'll just pivot and try this instead, so that I won't have to run a tank up through epics. For skill points, are you just dropping everything in heal / intimidate? And are you able to self-heal while also being the primary tank in reaper content (mostly raids)? Thanks!

Edit: Can you explain the difference between the completionist and the first life gear? You say it is due to gear cache; does that mean that the 'completionist' gearset is optimal? Or is there another reason. Thanks!
    Last edited by Maxxcore; 02-10-2022 at 02:07 PM.
    Sheikra - Completionist Wizard

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maxxcore View Post
    Super cool build, I actually just rolled up a cleric to sit at cap as a healer, and I was going to make a tank next. I think I'll just pivot and try this instead, so that I won't have to run a tank up through epics. For skill points, are you just dropping everything in heal / intimidate? And are you able to self-heal while also being the primary tank in reaper content (mostly raids)? Thanks!

Edit: Can you explain the difference between the completionist and the first life gear? You say it is due to gear cache; does that mean that the 'completionist' gearset is optimal? Or is there another reason. Thanks!
    Yeah! all the skill ups went into Intim and Heal. The raids are all self healing with Renew on self and LOH for area of effect healing in stuff like VOD where the melee are in range to get hit by it. That LOH is based on CON and AOE so it's super nice. Self healing in upper reaper drains mana and LOH charges pretty quickly but with the 2 Unyielding Sovereignty it's possible to keep yourself up in oh **** situations.

Upper reaper is very cool down based .. Doom reapers are hard to face tank for very long when Undying Vanguard is on cool down. The 1k-ish temp hit points from Shard Storm is really noticeable when it's on cool down during tough fights.

The completionist character simply has more gearing options on some of the pieces just because I have that gear on storage characters. Really though once the 7 piece Winter set is on it's just a matter of making sure there's the Wis, Devotion, Nullification taken care of.

All in all the gearing is super easy and the build is easy to play
    Thelanis: Anihsod ( drood ), Dexlorum ( nannybot ), Kiriagi ( thief ), Galrisian ( paladerp ) Hirp Dirp ( bard )

Community Member

You gear for some Nullification, but what about Acid spell power? Seems like 1/2 of the 2 Primals used (shard storm, swarm) are 1/2 poison, and 1/2 acid.

I chose to use the Magmatic Grasp for the to hit bonus and extra fire procs on spell cast. Hoping it helps with aggro. That also let me slot : Crown of Fireflies and Black Dragon Tasset for more MRR and 10% missile deflection (2 piece summer and spring). Not sure how much the missile deflect will help I got a nullification ruby and wondering about an acid sp ruby.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by aGarde View Post
    You gear for some Nullification, but what about Acid spell power? Seems like 1/2 of the 2 Primals used (shard storm, swarm) are 1/2 poison, and 1/2 acid.

I chose to use the Magmatic Grasp for the to hit bonus and extra fire procs on spell cast. Hoping it helps with aggro. That also let me slot : Crown of Fireflies and Black Dragon Tasset for more MRR and 10% missile deflection (2 piece summer and spring). Not sure how much the missile deflect will help I got a nullification ruby and wondering about an acid sp ruby.
    Acid spell power can be slotted with an Augment
    Thelanis: Anihsod ( drood ), Dexlorum ( nannybot ), Kiriagi ( thief ), Galrisian ( paladerp ) Hirp Dirp ( bard )

Hey Dex,

a raiding buddy told me about this build. Would you be so nice and update this with the current changes?
    I posted it in the ORD build-depository.

Thank you in advance.

Cheers,
    Titus.
    Playing since 2010 | Don't do the fun wrong | New to Orien? Join the ingame Titan Channel | Soko Irrlicht freut sich immer über neue Mitglieder | Deutscher DDO Discord | Orien Raiding Discord | Toons: Titus Ovid , Bruder, Upload, Zzed, (Rubbel)