Community Member

Default Would an Eldritch Knight-based sorcerer be good?

Hello! I want to make an Eldritch Knight sorcerer. I will also use the fire savant enhancement tree. Well, I'm using fire savant right now, but if anything else is better, please tell me. Also, what about feats? Right now I have maximize, empower and spell focus: evocation. I'm thinking about getting greater evocation focus right now. I'll probably also get heighten spell, but probably not the other metamagics. I mostly want Eldritch Knight for medium armor proficiency. I also may get heavy armor proficiency.

I certainly had a lot of fun on my 2 pally/18 sorc Bladeforged in heroics. I played it as a melee primarily alternating with spells between swings.

I took
    - Maximize
    - Two Handed Fighting
    - Improved Two Handed Fighting
    - Improved Critical: Slashing
    - Spell Focus: Evocation
    - Greater Spell Focus: Evocation

My enhancement trees were
    - Bladeforged (9 AP) - For Strikethrough, Repair AMP, ASF
    - Knight of the Chalice (10 AP) - for Cleave, Divine Might, Strikethrough
    - Feydark Illusionist (12 AP) - for CHA to dmg, PRR
    - Eldritch Knight (42 AP)

In my opinion getting Eldritch Knight for Medium Armor is not an "Eldritch Knight-based" arcane .. it is just using Eldritch Knight to increase your tankiness. You are still a Savant.
    Last edited by GeneralDiomedes; 01-03-2022 at 03:58 PM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloxerTRG View Post
    Hello! I want to make an Eldritch Knight sorcerer.
    It's not a Fire Savant, but Strimtom did a pure Sorc EK using Feydark Illusionist that I tried out, and it was a lot of fun. You might want to check it out, it's on YouTube.com.
    "The imagination is not … the faculty for forming images of reality; it is the faculty for forming images which go beyond reality..." - Gaston Bachelard

With feydark illusionist you can make a really good hybrid build. I would splash 1 fighter and 1 favored soul for the extra feat, proficiencies and divine might.

Alternatively you can go bladeforged for self healing and splash 2 paladin for a slight boost in safes, proficiencies and divine might.
    DC Warlock Reaper Build (U48)
    Max DC Illusionist Reaper Build (U48)

I did not see EK tree offered to sorcery that is new to me.
    haven't played sorcery in years.
    but played eldritch knight as a wizard using elf racial tree and arcane archer.
    lot of free proficiency feats for elf longbow and long sword.
    PPR MRR < get them as high as you can.
    used medium mithril armor.
    I tend to not use meta magics and gain other feats.
    for some reason I dont like running out of spell points and compensate with melee and raged physical damage.
    got to be able to live once you do run out of spell points.
    Last edited by archest; 01-10-2022 at 07:25 AM.

I've done it. Strimtom's build using Feydark Illusionist is probably about as good as you'll find on here. I've played around with some quirky sorc EK builds and they were about on par, maybe a bit worse.

You definitely want Feydark Illusionist for the CHA to damage option. The elemental tree you pick doesn't really matter too much - fire is popular. Just gear with stuff to boost that spellpower. Have a second element for when stuff is immune to the first.

Splashing 1 level of favoured soul or even 2 paladin for the Divine Might enhancement is certainly an option for this build, as Slarden said. Going the paladin route will give you heavy armour proficiency by default, so that could be an option if you don't have favoured soul and/or are set on wearing heavy armour.

Bear in mind if you want heavy armour, you do need to either take all the feats or else splash a level or 2 in something like fighter or paladin. The EK tree will give you medium, but that doesn't count towards feats to take heavy armour proficiency.

TBH, in terms of EK, I feel Wizard is the better option - going about half/half in EK and Palemaster gives you very good self-healing with the death auras in any race - no need for warforged and reconstruct. Plus you get way more feats which helps if you want to take a full line of fighting skills, maybe some shield stuff, etc, and still have room for some magic based feats.

Quote Originally Posted by archest View Post
    I did not see EK tree offered to sorcery that is new to me.
    haven't played sorcery in years.
    but played eldritch knight as a wizard using elf racial tree and arcane archer.
    lot of free proficiency feats for elf longbow and long sword.
    PPR MRR < get them as high as you can.
    used medium mithril armor.
    I tend to not use meta magics and gain other feats.
    for some reason I dont like running out of spell points and compensate with melee and raged physical damage.
    got to be able to live once you do run out of spell points.
    Sorcs get 5 trees, 4 savants and EK. Been that way for a few years.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

There's three main issues for (Feydark) sorcerer vs (Harper) wizard Eldritch Knights:
    • Feat-starved - pure wizards get 5 bonus caster feats, sorcerers get zero. And this is a feat-hungry build/playstyle.
    • Feydark Illusionist doesn't have a Battle Trance which means either splashing for Divine Might (which costs you the EK capstone), skipping a Trance, or making your build more MAD by using a different Universal Trance (e.g. INT as secondary stat for Know the Angles).
    • Fleshy wizards can use undead forms + negative energy spells for self-(un)healing, fleshy sorcs don't have easy access to anything similar. ("Warforged laugh at puny meatsacks!")

If you have Bladeforged or PDK, you can test out a sorcerer EK with either paladin 2 / sorcerer 13 or fighter 1 / sorcerer 14, respectively. The PDK doesn't even need Feydark Illusionist if you use Cormyrian Knight Training instead.

That's presuming you're playing a gish (i.e., melee/caster hybrid). If you're just playing a caster build who wants to improve their survivability, I usually spend somewhere between 12 APs (Arcane Barrier) to 23 (Armored Arcana + cores) depending on how much I'm trying to up my defenses.
    Semi-retired Build Engineer. Everything was better back in our day. Get off my lawn.

Community Member

“dedicated 41 points in EK” .. um idk..

but 31 points really helps with sorcerer survibility

For example .. deflect missiles every 2 seconds is awesome, been able to use medium armour and shields helps, 25% damage shield is good.. and the universal spell power rounds out casting

My biggest problems with a totally ek based sorcerer are

#1 the reduced casting range on all spells is terrible, you either need to be in melee range at all times or switch back and fourth .. the latter makes for a poor caster experience and although melee is fun at lower levels/reapers .. on r10/epics you will get squished more often than not.. so not so much fun..

#2 you don’t really have “extra” feats to take melee mitigation and hp feats without hurting your casting ability. Ie: the shield mastery for your extra hp’s. Spells like tensers are nice, but the increased cool downs really hurts considering one of the key points of the sorcerer class is faster casting speed. So that seems like a step in the wrong direction to.

#3 not much in the way of enhancing other schools like enchantment. for example, a wizard can get much higher dc’s on mass hold and sleep or necromancy, in turn making it more viable to “melee” where as all of the sorcerer enhancements are elemental based

For those reasons I would not go past 24 or 31 points in ek.. If your going deeper than that, go wizard.

tbh... considering how popular the "fighter/mage" is in any dnd game .. it would be nice if thy just "un-gimp-a-fied" ek and made it more of a viable option..
    Last edited by Verlok_the_Red; 02-09-2022 at 11:24 AM.

#1 the reduced casting range on all spells is terrible, you either need to be in melee range at all times or switch back and fourth .. the latter makes for a poor caster experience and although melee is fun at lower levels/reapers .. on r10/epics you will get squished more often than not.. so not so much fun..

Why is the range reduced? Knight's Transformation
    dont use it unless you know your going to be fighting close ranged. Tenser's Transformation?
    ( dont use Knights at all in my Wiz EK and teasers if im going to be hand to hand)

#2 you don’t really have “extra” feats to take melee mitigation and hp feats without hurting your casting ability. Ie: the shield mastery for your extra hp’s. Spells like tensers are nice, but the increased cool downs really hurts considering one of the key points of the sorcerer class is faster casting speed. So that seems like a step in the wrong direction to.

Racial proficiency's?
    Weapon Proficiency: Elves are automatically proficient with the longsword, rapier, longbow, composite longbow, shortbow, and composite shortbow.

long bow for long ranged with any rays available.

lots of options in the elf tree as well for archers if you so wanted to go that direction Arcane Archer tree.
    Last edited by archest; 02-09-2022 at 12:33 PM.

I cant get my head around specializing in a single element.

Quori dream creatures come in three varieties: Red (fire), Blue (cold) and green (acid); attacking each variety with its native element will heal them.

Green while force was beating them down , Acid would heal them.
    Its a weakness in sorcery , (Warlock)

Turn off blaster and hit with your scepters.....
    In my Robe?

How is a sorcery for enchantment?

warlock : tentacles and arcane shards of force.
    favored soul : Greater command, holy smite
    what's the attack for sorcery to stop a mob and kill them before they reach you?
    Hold person or hold monster and arcane shards of force + helpless bonus
    Last edited by archest; 09-21-2022 at 07:34 PM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by archest View Post
    I cant get my head around specializing in a single element.

Quori dream creatures come in three varieties: Red (fire), Blue (cold) and green (acid); attacking each variety with its native element will heal them.

Green while force was beating them down , Acid would heal them.
    Its a weakness in sorcery , (Warlock)

Turn off blaster and hit with your scepters.....
    In my Robe?

How is a sorcery for enchantment?

warlock : tentacles and arcane shards of force.
    favored soul : Greater command, holy smite
    what's the attack for sorcery to stop a mob and kill them before they reach you?
    Hold person or hold monster and arcane shards of force + helpless bonus
    Dont ever build around a single monster, you will be dissappointed overall. And its easy enough to turn off stance, or cast some spells if need be.

Awaken Elemental Weakness: Electric: You are able to curse an enemy, increasing Electric damage they take by 15%. When cast on a creature that is immune to that tree's Element, it makes them vulnerable to that element for a short period of time. (Activation Cost: 5 Spell Points. Cooldown: 20 seconds.)
    the savant core cap stone does this without the need to continue to mark the target if your in elemental form. as well.

chose elf for the free long sword proficiency.
    could not reach the fey tree for the familiar to find ward traps so it limited that tree. ( ap points)
    Last edited by archest; 11-09-2022 at 08:53 AM.

Default Shorten is going away

Yeah, after today's update rolls out, EK's are getting rid of the shortened casting style. Funnily enough this means that Sorcs can go for EK tier 5s to get more DCs than they would achieve from the savant trees alone. Also grabbing a 15% boost to HP while they are at it. Not sure if this is worth it at all, but might be fun to fiddle around with high rAP toons.
    Holybird of House Perkele. Sisu is with us. But is sisu with you?