Stormreach Advisor
    Founder

Default "fatigued" uncenters my monk

I have a really good 19th monk that SHOULD be able to solo Devils Assault on Elite. The problem is that near the end I keep getting uncentered by fatigue every 1 to 2 seconds. Actually died because of this after going through 20 lesser restoration potions.

Is fatigued supposed to Uncenter a monk?

EDITED: I was carrying too much loot and became medium encumbered

WIS/DEX monks be warned! I stopped wearing a STR item recently. Only STR 19

I was carrying junk loot: 6 sets of armor and 3 shields, and I'm a little halfling. LOL. Selling that dropped my carried Wt from 400 down to ~120. Sheesh! After selling this junk I was able to do the quest no problem, even when Fatigued.

FYI Spell Resistance 29 did not stop the Fatigue spell very often. Still a useless defense.
    Last edited by winsom; 09-02-2020 at 03:15 PM.
    Nightshayde, Wiz 24 (Ghallanda), Kyonna, Dru 24, Irnaetha, Mnk 19, Drelzna Art12/Rog2, Aurelyn, Pal11/Ftr2, Eidoloni, Rog 17, Tymore, Sor 20 (Khyber)

2. 09-02-2020, 02:13 PM

Quote Originally Posted by winsom View Post
    Ive not played DDO in a few years, and Im back and I ran into a problem I can not explain with UNCENTERED:

I have a really good 19th monk that SHOULD be able to solo Devils Assault on Elite. The problem is that near the end I keep getting uncentered by fatigu every 1 to 2 seconds. Actually died because of this after going through 20 lesser restoration potions.

Is fatigued supposed to Uncenter a monk? I have enough STR (around 25) that this should not be an issue. I am only carrying about 425 lbs of stuff.

I do not see anything in DDO wiki about losing Centered this way. Should this be a bug report?

it lowers your strenght enough to put you in medium load. encumbered. probably that's what's happening. also halflings and gnomes have only 3\4 of the normal carrying capacity.
    Last edited by Valerianus; 09-02-2020 at 02:31 PM.

Community Member

Is fatigued supposed to Uncenter a monk? I have enough STR (around 25) that this should not be an issue. I am only carrying about 425 lbs of stuff.
    Sort of. The DDOWiki page, "Centered", states the following:
    The most common way that a monk becomes uncentered is by being encumbered. A monk must not be encumbered in order to keep centered. Low-level monks are susceptible to Ray of Enfeeblement spells, which can reduce Strength and leave the monk vulnerable.

There's no saving roll, so the only way to avoid it is spell resistance, spell absorption items or increase your strength. At 25 strength, you can have your strength knocked down by 6-11 points, as low as strength 14, and medium encumbrance is all it takes to become uncentered. Take a look at the "Carrying capacity" page and you'll see it's quite likely you'll become uncentered by a Ray of Enfeeblement.

A lot of people who play monks never grab armor loot for this very reason.
    Last edited by SocratesBastardSon; 09-02-2020 at 02:37 PM. Reason: Clarity
    "The imagination is not … the faculty for forming images of reality; it is the faculty for forming images which go beyond reality..." - Gaston Bachelard

Sentient gem: "Speed speeds up the wolf, not a huge backpack"

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility

Community Member

FYI Spell Resistance 29 did not stop the Fatigue spell very often. Still a useless defense.
    Yeah spell resistance is hard to get a meaningful amount of atm without basically ignoring other stats by putting on random gear that doesn't help in really any other way. By random I don't mean randomgen, just gear that makes no sense. The only item I can think of off the top of my head that might possibly make sense to wear and that gives spell resistance--enough that if you run grandmaster of flowers your spell resistance might actually do something useful without hurting your dps needlessly--is https://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Legend...ck_Satin_Waist, at least speaking about cap.

For heroics, https://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Black_Satin_Waist without grandmaster of flowers might actually do something as well and https://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Phiarlan_Mirror_Cloak is actually good at lower levels.

https://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Epic_P...n_Mirror_Cloak may not be good if whatever heroic cloak you are wearing is somewhat necessary but its effects aren't terrible, think you might need to get a scroll/shard/seal to upgrade the heroic one to this though so could be difficult to obtain this one.

Community Member

The best discussion I've seen on SR and its effectiveness is still current, I believe:

www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/506506-Spell-Resistance

Basically, you can get it to work at low reaper, but by the time you get to mid-reaper in Epic there's no way to make it useful.
    Last edited by SocratesBastardSon; 09-03-2020 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Spelling
    "The imagination is not … the faculty for forming images of reality; it is the faculty for forming images which go beyond reality..." - Gaston Bachelard

I make it a habit to sell and purge inventory every couple quests. You never want that backpack getting more than half full.
    Member: Circle of Night (Cristyle Sunn, Grygor Sunn, WarChild Sunn)
    Magic is a curious thing; full of hope and promise one minute, then someone summons a t-rex jet fighter to kill you.

this is where you need to ask yourself what options do I have to counter this.

You appear to have one which is not 100% effective - Drink a lesser restore potion

That is a reactive measure.

There are some pro-active measures.

1. Increase your strength.
    If you are already using the best Strength Item(s) you have available, then look towards other means that boost
    Such as Rage potions or even grabbing Yugoloth Favor Potions

2. Don't discount Spell Resistance - It doesn't need to be 100%, we use Blur and it is only a 20% miss chance, but stacked with other measures its effectiveness increases the chance you are not uncentered

3. Spell Absorption - There are a few items you can swap in during the heavy times to help minimize how many land.

This won't eliminate needing to be reactive, but it can reduce the number of times you are fatigued.

Irestone Inlet is horrible on solo monks for this reason. It seems like every bugbear shaman is machine-gunning ray of enfeeblement.
    I'm still learning how to party the cleric. Don't ask me to be in the thick of melee AND keep you alive as you zerg all over the place. I can't do it and have stopped trying.

Quote Originally Posted by andrul View Post
    Irestone Inlet is horrible on solo monks for this reason. It seems like every bugbear shaman is machine-gunning ray of enfeeblement.
    its not the bugbears, its the hobgoblin witchdoctors