Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Hardcore question

I got 1750 favor. I turned it in with Nix. Then I died at 1815 favor. But none of my alive characters can get the 1750 favor reward from the vendor (the crown, I think). How come? I thought that once you earned a reward, all your characters can get it from the vendor.

Nix is not the HC npc.
    Mothergoose - Kardinal - Bunks

How can I receive my cosmetic rewards?
    Speak with the NPC Vallakarigin and select the milestone that you reached. If you have not yet reached the milestone, Vallakarigin will tell you.

Specific claim details about the cosmetic rewards:

Cosmetic Cloaks Milestones:

The Cosmetic Cloaks will be automatically placed in the inventory of all your characters on your account, and all new characters you make, after you speak with Vallakarigin and claim either of the Cloak milestones

Creature Companion Milestone:

Speak with Vallakarigin and claim the milestone to get the Creature Companion Certificate. You may additionally speak with Vallakarigin on each server that you'd like to receive a Certificate for that server's Creature Companion stable. Note that the Creature Companion certificate is not able to be traded.
    Mothergoose - Kardinal - Bunks

Community Member

So, if I cross 1750 and take level 20 but don't talk to the cosmetic reward vendor on that character and then die, did I lose those rewards? I've got to run another character to 1750 and to 20?

Quote Originally Posted by MipedianScout View Post
    So, if I cross 1750 and take level 20 but don't talk to the cosmetic reward vendor on that character and then die, did I lose those rewards? I've got to run another character to 1750 and to 20?
    Unfortunately yes, afaik there is no other way even if you basically already earned these rewards.

Sadly, this was made pretty clear early on. Gotta tag the Reaper Reward NPC to get your Reaper Rewards.

Community Member

I'm sorry but there are no complete rules for the hardcore server found anywhere.

Some guy I grouped with claimed you can't do level 19 quests as level 20. If that's the case where is that rule written down?
    This whole company is very unprofessional.

Quote Originally Posted by Urklie View Post
    I'm sorry but there are no complete rules for the hardcore server found anywhere.

Some guy I grouped with claimed you can't do level 19 quests as level 20. If that's the case where is that rule written down?
    This whole company is very unprofessional.
    Indeed there is no announcement about this important rule, you have to know it.
    You cannot enter a nominal level 19 or lower quest with a level 20 or higher character.
    If you try it tells you that you cannot enter a heroic quest with an epic character...
    This is especially senseless because a level 20 character is perDungeons & Dragons definition still not epic, the first epic character level is 21.
    But in DDO exists the inconsistency that you can use your Epic Destiny already in level 20 and this is the main reason for this hardcore and reaper rule (this demands obviously a correction).
    Another aspect is a level 19 quest on normal is effectively level 21 when you do it reaper/elite and for this reason technically already an epic quest.
    In some aspects even DDO is consistent with that, e.g. orange named mini-bosses have epic buffs and cannot be instantly killed or you receive epic collectibles in nominal level 19 quests when you do them reaper/elite.
    But maybe there is hope that this will be corrected when they rework the EDs one day, at least I heard the developers work on it.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chacka_DDO View Post
    Unfortunately yes, afaik there is no other way even if you basically already earned these rewards.
    Can I claim the rewards after the season ends and all the characters in the Land of Lost Souls are back to life again? Does anybody know if that would work? If not, this seems like a flaw in the design of the system.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by C-Dog View Post
    Sadly, this was made pretty clear early on. Gotta tag the Reaper Reward NPC to get your Reaper Rewards.
    How was it made "pretty clear"? I don't think it is clear at all. I don't see this spelled out well at all in writing anywhere. Can you point me to where this is pretty clearly written? Or is it just something that is "pretty clear" to people who played HC1 and HC2 and experienced it first hand? I also do not think it is consistently the case. They give you the free life when you get enough XP to take level 8, even though you don't actually have to take level 8 and the text clearly says "you get a free life at level 8". If they were being consistent, you would have to take 8 AND talk to the NPC Vendor to be given the free life. As that is the first reward you can encounter, it would stand to reason that someone would expect that future rewards would work the same way. But they don't. There is inconsistency in how benefits/rewards are conferred. Some are automatic (and you don't even have to do the thing the reward alleges you have to do) and some you not only have to accomplish the event, you have to "turn it in" manually.

Community Member

How was it made "pretty clear"? I don't think it is clear at all. I don't see this spelled out well at all in writing anywhere.
    LMGTFY... https://ddo.com/en/hardcore

Once you reach a goal, speak to the Hardcore League NPC to collect your reward! The reward will be unlocked for your account, and can be accessed by any of your characters on any of the servers.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by cru121 View Post
    LMGTFY... https://ddo.com/en/hardcore

Once you reach a goal, speak to the Hardcore League NPC to collect your reward! The reward will be unlocked for your account, and can be accessed by any of your characters on any of the servers.
    Thanks for being snide with the LMGTFY. I'm sure that's a fun way to write wiki pages too...Be demeaning to the person asking questions and needing help.

Sure. That's nice and short and sweet. But that doesn't cover everything you need to know, now does it?

What it should say:

Once you reach a goal, speak to the Hardcore League NPC to collect your reward! The reward will be unlocked for your account, and can be accessed by any of your characters on any of the servers. Be advised that if you die before collecting your reward, you will lose it. Dead characters cannot collect rewards previously earned.

You can say this is "obvious", but it really isn't. It would be an assumption on the part of the reader. I'm still not clear if you can collect the rewards at the end of the HC server when all the characters come back to life. Do you know the answer to that? Because what you linked doesn't say, does it? Or is that "pretty clear" from that one sentence?

And, as I mentioned, they are granting the extra lives without needing to "collect" them. So it is inconsistent. When you are being inconsistent in your methodology, you definitely need to be better in your documentation.
    Last edited by MipedianScout; 08-12-2020 at 08:34 AM.

On the one hand, the HC page does say to talk to the archon, but it DOESN'T say anything about the epic lockout.

On the OTHER hand, snideness is a perfectly cromulent response to snottiness.

Out of hands.
    Mains - Messam, Indalecio, Mozenrath, Quackerjack.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Seph1roth5 View Post
    On the one hand, the HC page does say to talk to the archon, but it DOESN'T say anything about the epic lockout.

On the OTHER hand, snideness is a perfectly cromulent response to snottiness.

Out of hands.
    Yeah. The Wiki and the SSG announcements both are lacking on each of these issues.

I'm not sure why the wiki doesn't have any info on how the epic lockout works in Hardcore. It is a proven thing.

I suspect that nobody really knows what happens during the HC after party with regard to talking to the rewards vendor to collect rewards earned while alive. It's not mentioned in any SSG posts or the wiki. I see no reason why the reward vendor would not be accessible to characters during the after party to claim rewards that were earned during the season, but it would be nice to get a confirmation of that.

If you can't, I think that SSG should make a better FAQ about how this works. It needs more than one line.

Community Member

Yeah. The Wiki and the SSG announcements both are lacking on each of these issues.

I'm not sure why the wiki doesn't have any info on how the epic lockout works in Hardcore. It is a proven thing.

I suspect that nobody really knows what happens during the HC after party with regard to talking to the rewards vendor to collect rewards earned while alive. It's not mentioned in any SSG posts or the wiki. I see no reason why the reward vendor would not be accessible to characters during the after party to claim rewards that were earned during the season, but it would be nice to get a confirmation of that.

If you can't, I think that SSG should make a better FAQ about how this works. It needs more than one line.
    Here's the thing about the wiki. It's written by players. Random people like you and me. If you notice something missing or wrong, please add this information to an appropriate location for future generations.

Maybe the few active wiki editors decided not to participate on HC, or they died too early, without experiencing the lockout. Maybe the information was there and some other editor accidentally removed it. Who knows.

You are basically asking, why didn't someone grab you by the collar, shake you vigorously and scream in your ear "YOU HAVE TO TALK TO THE VENDOR".

It IS pretty well known. I haven't reached 1750 yet and I know it. If you have read anything about this seasons hard core you HAVE to have read about it.

Here is a direct quote "Once you reach a goal, speak to the Hardcore League NPC to collect your reward! The reward will be unlocked for your account, and can be accessed by any of your characters on any of the servers." WHAT MORE DO YOU NEED??!!!

Guess what, if you are dead YOU CANT TALK TO THE VENDOR. I don't see why SSG is to blame because you are unable to put two and two together.

Didn't you understand the term "Hardcore League NPC". Does that sound like it would be the same guy you turn in your favor to normally? The Hardcore League NPC should make you think "HMMMM. This is an NPC that exists on the hardcore server. Maybe it isn't the one that exists on the other servers.

It is pretty clear by the quote what is meant. I can read that quote and tell what they meant. I think most people can read the quote and tell what they meant. If there was some confusion on your part then you should have asked. If it failed to register in your consciousness then that's just a hard lesson learned. I have learned many hard lessons in this game.

When you hit 1750 did you expect the helm to just appear on your head? Did it appear on your head? If not, maybe then would have been the time to start asking questions. Not after the character was dead.

Quote Originally Posted by TedSandyman View Post

When you hit 1750 did you expect the helm to just appear on your head?
    I think the reasonable assumption would be that when you hit 1750 favor the crown is unlocked automatically, available to be collected at your leisure. This assumption is supported by the fact that we get regular favor reward pops every 100 (and special milestones) and that the chat tells you how much favor you have any time you complete a quest; the hardcore-game is clearly keeping careful track of our hardcore- favor, so it's logical to assume it would do the proper hardcore-related things with that count.

But yes, the relevant clause is this one, which does state talking to the NPC unlocks the reward.

(from https://www.ddo.com/en/hardcore)

But, to avoid confusion in the future, I suggest a simple tweak to make it explicit:

"""
    Once you reach a goal, speak to the Hardcore League NPC to unlock your reward! The reward will be unlocked for your account, and can be accessed by any of your characters on any of the servers.
    """
    That's not lag, it's just DDO trying to become turn-based again.
    Feature wishlist: colour-coded HP bars; red/blue teams in raids; rez-timer in party menu

Bug report form link

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by LeoLionxxx View Post
    I think the reasonable assumption would be that when you hit 1750 favor the crown is unlocked automatically, available to be collected at your leisure. This assumption is supported by the fact that we get regular favor reward pops every 100 (and special milestones) and that the chat tells you how much favor you have any time you complete a quest; the hardcore-game is clearly keeping careful track of our hardcore- favor, so it's logical to assume it would do the proper hardcore-related things with that count.

But yes, the relevant clause is this one, which does state talking to the NPC unlocks the reward.

(from https://www.ddo.com/en/hardcore)

But, to avoid confusion in the future, I suggest a simple tweak to make it explicit:

"""
    Once you reach a goal, speak to the Hardcore League NPC to unlock your reward! The reward will be unlocked for your account, and can be accessed by any of your characters on any of the servers.
    """
    It should be, "speak to the Hardcore League NPC with the character that reached a reward milestone to unlock your reward to be claimed on any character on any server on this account", imho

Community Member

Once you reach a goal, speak to the Hardcore League NPC to collect your reward! The reward will be unlocked for your account, and can be accessed by any of your characters on any of the servers. Be advised that if you die before collecting your reward, you will lose it. Dead characters cannot collect rewards previously earned.
    Honestly, it needs to be something like this. It costs SSG exactly 0 dollars to add a few extra words and be absolutely clear about it.

I'm guessing a lot of the posters here haven't done any technical writing or education. Yes, it's true that there is nothing you can make so clear that someone won't misunderstand it (or so easy that someone won't fail at it for that matter). However, that doesn't mean you shouldn't at least try, particularly if that's what you do for a living. The incredibly vague text they gave us is not even a decent attempt. "Players will just figure it out and add it to the wiki" should not be your preferred solution.

Thanks for being snide with the LMGTFY.
    And an equally heartfelt "thanks" to you for asking the same question a half-dozen times, proudly crowing your ignorance when it was easily found in... (what is that word? oh, yeah!)... The Rules.

You kinda walked in to that one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast