Default MacOS Client (circa 2019-09-19) Install Issue

Saw the news about the new MacOS client this morning, so I tried to install it.

Downloaded it.

Clicked to start

... then the message '"DDO.app" can't be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software. This software needs to be updated. Contact the developer for more information.'

This is on macOS Mojave, 10.14.6; iMac Retina 5k, 4GHz i7, 16GB. There does not appear to be a security setting that allows me to get past this (though I could have missed one).

I doubt this client will work better than my current configuration (standard DDO Windows client running on a Windows 10 instance of Parallels 15.0), but I thought it was worth a try anyway.

Has anyone installed the new client and got it working on an iMac Retina with 10.14.6?

Community Member

In the same boat.
    MacPro 2012
    OS 10.14.6
    3.2ghz quadcore Xeon
    32gb ram
    radeon rx580 8gb
    Devilish, Cascabel and Heckboy on Cannith

Thanks for reaching out!

We're looking into this issue now, and will provide an update once we have more information.

Default Workaround...

Right-click on the file and choose "open". That will give you a pop-up box with the same warning as before, but now with the options to "Open" or "Cancel". You will need to do the same for the DDO.app file once you have copied it to your Applications folder.
    Sartika, Leader of The Red Scare, Cannith Server
    Alts: Noalynn - Kenzari - Vren - Kreena - and many others

Default Doesn't Work in Catalina

Quote Originally Posted by yhelm123 View Post
    Right-click on the file and choose "open". That will give you a pop-up box with the same warning as before, but now with the options to "Open" or "Cancel". You will need to do the same for the DDO.app file once you have copied it to your Applications folder.
    Tried this after upgrading to Catalina tonight and I get nothing. The game will not run at all.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by colabottles View Post
    Tried this after upgrading to Catalina tonight and I get nothing. The game will not run at all.
    They dropped Mac support. Catalina is not supported and it seems that they aren't going to try to get it supported. The only way for DDO to run on Mac again now is if third party tools like crossover develop 64 bit Catalina support.

Quote Originally Posted by jkalten View Post
    They dropped Mac support. Catalina is not supported and it seems that they aren't going to try to get it supported. The only way for DDO to run on Mac again now is if third party tools like crossover develop 64 bit Catalina support.
    Well that's unfortunate to hear. Guess I'll have to look elsewhere for gaming. Thanks for the info.

Community Member

Default Not looking good for MacOS players : (

From patch notes…

https://www.ddo.com/en/update-43-patch-1-release-notes

The native MacOS client for DDO has been deprecated and replaced with a WINE-based client solution for MacOS.

Players attempting to launch the game from the deprecated launcher should now receive messaging to direct them to the new client.

NOTES:
    The WINE client is not compatible with the newly-released MacOS Catalina.
    Players who wish to play natively on a Mac (as opposed to using a Windows-based solution) should NOT update to Catalina.
    The deprecated MacOS client erroneously references LOTRO instead of DDO in its messaging, although all links remain valid.

MacOS: New Client Available and FAQ
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...ilable-and-FAQ

Community Member

Thumbs up It works on Mojave as of 05/Nov/2021

Quote Originally Posted by yhelm123 View Post
    It works marvellously, I tried it today and it let me install it, thank you yhelm123