19 70.37%
  • no

5 18.52%
  • maybe or don't care

3 11.11%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Community Member Captain_Wizbang's Avatar

Cool We *need* a new sub-forum "server merge"

I did an advanced search, changed the criteria a few times. came up with a startling (not really) find.

9 pages, 225 threads about server merge.

Now some of you are thinking why bother? Why waste resources for something as trivial as this? THINK about that.

225 recent threads. If we could see the archive, that # would require a quantum computer to find the actual tally.

*edit* I was going to add a caveat saying by the end of today, there will be at least 1 more thread about server merges. I was not wrong. Now there's another *poll* about it.
    Last edited by Lagin; 09-05-2019 at 12:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lagin View Post
    I did an advanced search, changed the criteria a few times. came up with a startling (not really) find.

9 pages, 225 threads about server merge.
    that's enough to show how needed it is, 225 threads is far more the votes you will see in "official" polls of trash we hate to eat that we had implemented later

so once we're it, server merge, now

half servers would be ok, most of "oh what will happen if..." have incredibly easy solutions, but ppl prefer to play the "ultimate single player game with chat" called DDO
    psykopeta is finally baconpletionist because there isn't anything to delay it more - thelanis, where the gimps claim to be pros and noobs claim to be pros, no newbies allowed(unless they claim to be pros), we have enough drama w/o them. PS: I post only in the latest thread shown in main page, in the weird case u want something from me, feel free to send pm

Exit, pursued by a bear. ~ William Shakespeare (stage direction from The Winter's Tale)

Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post

Thats what I think every day when I see 3 or more threads about it.

So let's give the topic a sub-forum title and be done with it.

Then give me a way to filter it out.

Thats what I think every day when I see 3 or more threads about it.

So let's give the topic a sub-forum title and be done with it.

Then give me a way to filter it out.
    There had been an earlier suggestion to merge the server merge threads.

However, your idea of giving the server merge threads their own subforum would allow them to get the attention they need.

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

I’m opposed to this proposal because I’m worried about what would happen to my stored messages bank.
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

Guardiest guarder of guard-dom Yokido's Avatar

^ Agreed. Last time they merged threads/posts/forums I lost some of my messages from the old forum cache, so many were lost that I don't even know what was in them. /Not signed

Make it so posts can migrate between threads at will instead of making us pay for it.

This thread was meant as a joke. When I added the poll after creation, the was taken off the forum icon.

I made the thread because of seeing an average of 3 threads a day about server mergers.

EVERY summer, population goes down, every summer we get numerous threads about server merge. It goes back to 2010 as far as I could find.

What would be the negative implications of a server merge, assuming they did the back-end work to facilitate such a change without introducing new lag? There are two sides to this issue, and it usually breaks down something like this:

(Support)
    We need/want a merge because:
    -Increased group count
    -Groups fill faster
    -More people in public areas
    -Revived public chat (assuming a new server-wide channel)
    -More people playing at each level range at any given time

(Opposition)
    No because:
    -We don't want it because we don't

And I don't believe that support for a sever merge is as niche or fringe as the tone of this thread suggests. Make character server transfers free and you'll see 98% of the populations migrate towards a single server within the week. More people to play with is never a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tricosene View Post
    However, your idea of giving the server merge threads their own subforum would allow them to get the attention they need.
    If giving players a visible platform in which to congregate and promote their ideas is all it takes to "get them the attention they need," maybe the problem doesn't lie with them.

This thread was meant as a joke.
    Yes I suppose dwindling server populations would be a joke if you play HCL where guilds attendance is maxed out and LFMs are a dime a dozen. I'll take a swing at it and guess that you do.

For those on HCL I'm sure everything is peachy. For the rest of us, the game is in a pretty bad place right now and it's perfectly natural to want it improved.
    Last edited by Clemeit; 09-09-2019 at 01:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Clemeit View Post
    If giving players a visible platform in which to congregate and promote their ideas is all it takes to "get them the attention they need," maybe the problem doesn't lie with them.
    Definitely. A big problem, though is what would happen to the stored messages bank? HungarianRhapsody and Yokido have a valid concern. I'm sure the devs can figure out a way, and then we can revisit the idea of a new sub-forum.

HCL has their own subforum. Server merge threads should get the same attention. Either that, or we should revisit the original idea of merging all the server merge threads into one thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Tricosene View Post
    Definitely. A big problem, though is what would happen to the stored messages bank? HungarianRhapsody and Yokido have a valid concern. I'm sure the devs can figure out a way, and then we can revisit the idea of a new sub-forum.

HCL has their own subforum. Server merge threads should get the same attention. Either that, or we should revisit the original idea of merging all the server merge threads into one thread.
    Oooh gotcha. I see what you're saying now; I wasn't super clear what that was all about.