Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Community Member

Hi all
    I tried the build and i wasn t very happy at lvl 12

So at 12 i switched to air t5 and core 4 and fire t4 core 4
    ... And was really fun!!!

I found quite annoyng using 1 fire spell against fire immune to get them not immune.

Any experimenting the same?

Probably the build is better for lvl 30?
    In game in Cannith as
    Aborim Master (main toon) --- Nickallin (my tank)--- Jjnick (warlock 30) --- Nickpunick ()--- Nickruvido (my healer)--- Nickallinone (shuri build)
    guild: not Flagged ( ex guardiani di eberron, ex gods, ex kvp)

Quote Originally Posted by Alled78 View Post
    The sign says "to level", so it's about getting there more than being there.

But, 100%, until you're level 12 and get access to the Tier V anti-immune enhancement, you have to have something else to fall back on. Either a second Savant Tier, or just go Force (magic missile, force missile, chain missile, etc.).

For leveling, I prefer Air sorc w/ Maximize + Enlarge as the first 2 Feats. Turns those SLA's into something really powerful, and w/ decent gear both Shocking Grasp and Electric Loop contribute greatly well into the early/mid-teens. You can exchange Enlarge for something else at any time you think it's not contributing, but the ability to use the CC effect of EL at full range is money all the way up to 20.

(Admittedly, this is also b/c I don't own Tiefling, so w/o those racial Fire enhancements, it's a closer comparison.)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by C-Dog View Post
    The sign says "to level", so it's about getting there more than being there.

But, 100%, until you're level 12 and get access to the Tier V anti-immune enhancement, you have to have something else to fall back on. Either a second Savant Tier, or just go Force (magic missile, force missile, chain missile, etc.).

For leveling, I prefer Air sorc w/ Maximize + Enlarge as the first 2 Feats. Turns those SLA's into something really powerful, and w/ decent gear both Shocking Grasp and Electric Loop contribute greatly well into the early/mid-teens. You can exchange Enlarge for something else at any time you think it's not contributing, but the ability to use the CC effect of EL at full range is money all the way up to 20.

(Admittedly, this is also b/c I don't own Tiefling, so w/o those racial Fire enhancements, it's a closer comparison.)
    The anti immune enhancement is in tier 4 racial so u get it at 17 ap but i didn t like it
    I dont like full fire sorc to lvl at all because with fire immune i need to stay near and cast the scorch spell then recast fireball or other...seems not the best way to deal with them

I prefer air t5 fire t4 definitely

Then i love t5 air and core5 air wont do a sorc without them
    In game in Cannith as
    Aborim Master (main toon) --- Nickallin (my tank)--- Jjnick (warlock 30) --- Nickpunick ()--- Nickruvido (my healer)--- Nickallinone (shuri build)

Hero

But, 100%, until you're level 12 and get access to the Tier V anti-immune enhancement, you have to have something else to fall back on. Either a second Savant Tier, or just go Force (magic missile, force missile, chain missile, etc.)
    You really don't. If you must solo, there's an abundance of content you can do where you can avoid element-immune mobs until level 12. Leveling is easier/faster with others, and it's ok if you pike 1% of mobs.

As for not taking Completionist, when I hit level 9 I want 100% success with Heal scrolls. Also there's really nothing better than Completionist on a DC based character. If anything I'd want to take it at level 3 instead of level 6, but I prefer to have the additional spellpower earlier on.
    Khyber: Ying-1, Kobeyashi, Nichevo-1 | 75 million Reaper XP

Community Member

Default New player doable?

Hi,

I'm new to the game, been playing for a week, and would like to give sorcerer a try. However, I find that some of the things mentioned here are not readily available for a new player like me without anything. For example, for the skills I can only get Concentration and Spellcraft; I have no more points to get UMD. Will that gimp my character? I'm currently subscribed to VIP that so I really want to try things while I can to decide if I want to further delve into the game or not. Anyways, thanks a lot for the write up, really appreciate it!

EDIT: Also, I can't seem to find fire bolt. Is it the same as flame bolt?
    Last edited by Gvcddo; 07-23-2019 at 06:51 AM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gvcddo View Post
    Hi,

I'm new to the game, been playing for a week, and would like to give sorcerer a try. However, I find that some of the things mentioned here are not readily available for a new player like me without anything. For example, for the skills I can only get Concentration and Spellcraft; I have no more points to get UMD. Will that gimp my character? I'm currently subscribed to VIP that so I really want to try things while I can to decide if I want to further delve into the game or not. Anyways, thanks a lot for the write up, really appreciate it!

EDIT: Also, I can't seem to find fire bolt. Is it the same as flame bolt?

the build is doable but is very very squishy so if u are going solo i wont suggest it, because u die too easy

better go warlock in first life caster,
    In game in Cannith as

Until 12 Acid sheath, new bolt, ball should work fine for all immunes

Even without max caster levels
    Damonz Cannith

I take Enlarge earlier, but don't enjoy Completionist.

If I had to guess, the OP is dumping Empower since he's not relying on SLA's as much, and doesn't need to double-boost combat spells. As for Heighten, with a Fire sorc, Web isn't as handy, but that's only the most obvious to benefit from Heighten.

Strimton isn't one to toss a build out lightly - but I'll wait for him to explain his choices.
    Enlarge is amazing, yes. Completionist is +2 to ability scores and +2 to skills; that is more saves, hit points, DCs, UMD, etc...really good feat for leveling.

As for Heighten, the reflex save of several mobs in Sharn are really high, and too many of them have evasion. While their saves depend on whether you run normal or R10, a nuking sorcerer that does zero or half damage isn't doing itself any favors. A level 3 fireball spell gains 6 DC at cap from Heighten. DBF is a level 7 spell, but the 2 DC you gain is still worth it. Not taking Heighten is a terrible choice.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by mr420247 View Post
    Until 12 Acid sheath, new bolt, ball should work fine for all immunes

Even without max caster levels

Problem is AFTER lvl 12...
    I went air-fire

Didnt like 100% fire from 12 to 20
    In game in Cannith as

Community Member

Default The 2nd Best Way to Level ~ Earth Savant

I know it's not as sexy as a crazy Tiefling crit machine, but I decided to go AC specced Earth Savant for my Dwarf lives. It's pretty Fun.

Acid with a dip into fire for damage. Burnscar Sash is great for this.

Defensive and AC synergy between Dwarf racials, EK and Earth Savant.

Close to 100 ac at level 10 in Coat of the Traveler.
    - Raja Stormcrow -
    http://thesublimeguild.com
    Thelanis Permadeath
    Long Live Xoriat | East Side | Spiritus Mundi

Community Member

I take Enlarge earlier, but don't enjoy Completionist.

If I had to guess, the OP is dumping Empower since he's not relying on SLA's as much, and doesn't need to double-boost combat spells. As for Heighten, with a Fire sorc, Web isn't as handy, but that's only the most obvious to benefit from Heighten.

Strimton isn't one to toss a build out lightly - but I'll wait for him to explain his choices.
    You do understand that heighten affects all spells including damaging ones. And it is optimal if you mass hold and nuke for extra damage. Hence why enchantment focus is preferred over evocation focus.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChadB123 View Post
    You've listed the exact feats that I take on my sorc lives. I agree that the lack of Heighten and Empower seems like a glaring mistake. I wouldn't mind much if the thread wasn't titled "The Best Way To Level." While fire sorc certainly is the best way to level, this build certainly isn't.
    I cant speak for the OP, but i would guess it revolves around the idea that if you are dripping with gear, then your DC's are already plenty high for the spells you typically use. So, heighten adding +1 or +2 to a spell like DBF (which is important if you are not maxxed the foook out in DC's) is not so important for him. A similar argument can be made for empower. With huge bonuses to power, the 75 extra to empower is not necessarily an efficient damage/spell cost add. Keep in mind the SLA's for his build are just sort of MEH.

In his case, it's probably best to save the mana points and just double cast spells at lower cost when needed as opposed to typically over killing everything at higher expense.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alled78 View Post
    Hi all
    I tried the build and i wasn t very happy at lvl 12

So at 12 i switched to air t5 and core 4 and fire t4 core 4
    ... And was really fun!!!

I found quite annoyng using 1 fire spell against fire immune to get them not immune.

Any experimenting the same?

I too find this a problem. It was for me not near as easy to level as air. When dealing with multiple reaper champions, prep fire is a costly use of time. I play solo mostly... occasionally going to two or three man parties. I also strive to avoid non damaging full cost CC use to save SPs (was recently scolded by other party member in R10 for this behavior).

Quote Originally Posted by tinyelvis View Post
    I also strive to avoid non damaging full cost CC use to save SPs (was recently scolded by other party member in R10 for this behavior).
    I dunno about this one - something very comforting to see a Carnage Reaper stuck in a Web.

Community Member

I dunno about this one - something very comforting to see a Carnage Reaper stuck in a Web.
    Well except sharn expansion cc is not a. Problem for a sorc
    I found reapers appearing in sharn epic have saves really higher than ravenloft.

I usually dont use heighten, consider if u use mass hold reflex save is lower by the hold effect
    I prefer quicken and enlarge
    In game in Cannith as

Quote Originally Posted by tinyelvis View Post
    I cant speak for the OP, but i would guess it revolves around the idea that if you are dripping with gear, then your DC's are already plenty high for the spells you typically use. So, heighten adding +1 or +2 to a spell like DBF (which is important if you are not maxxed the foook out in DC's) is not so important for him. A similar argument can be made for empower. With huge bonuses to power, the 75 extra to empower is not necessarily an efficient damage/spell cost add. Keep in mind the SLA's for his build are just sort of MEH.

In his case, it's probably best to save the mana points and just double cast spells at lower cost when needed as opposed to typically over killing everything at higher expense.
    It depends on the difficulty of content one is running. I used the example of Sharn because it is adjusted for power creep, and several mobs have evasion.

Example (numbers are hypothetical):

A Mob has evasion and a 40 reflex save.

You cast Fireball and your DC is 55.

The Mob could roll a 15+ against your Fireball and save, taking 0 damage. In other words, that's 25% of time you are dealing 0 damage to mobs with evasion and a 40 reflex save. However, with Heighten metamagic your Fireball DC would increase by 6 DC to a 61 total, and you would do damage 100% of the time. That is effectively a 25% increase in DPS.

This game is all about numbers, not one's perception. Heighten is an important feat for any DC/Nuking caster.
    Last edited by ChadB123; 08-05-2019 at 10:18 AM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Strimtom View Post
    Ring2 Clouded dreams
    Gloves Blue scale gauntlets
    Any suggestions to fill in for these two items until they can be obtained?

Quote Originally Posted by Garorg View Post
    Any suggestions to fill in for these two items until they can be obtained?
    My solution for those two pieces was to just run Legendary Cursebane Focus from Invitation to Dinner for the extra spell saves, move your slavers trinket to a ring slot, and then run Legendary Blurfingered Gloves.

My problem is determining whether or not I want +4 charisma in the 3 extra filigree slots you have, or to run 3x Coalesced Magic Filigrees for the extra spell power + crit damage + 1 cha.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sythe777 View Post
    My solution for those two pieces was to just run Legendary Cursebane Focus from Invitation to Dinner for the extra spell saves, move your slavers trinket to a ring slot, and then run Legendary Blurfingered Gloves.

My problem is determining whether or not I want +4 charisma in the 3 extra filigree slots you have, or to run 3x Coalesced Magic Filigrees for the extra spell power + crit damage + 1 cha.
    Thanks, good suggestions! Maybe the Coalesced Magic set if you don't have the LGS boots yet for the crit damage?
    Last edited by Garorg; 09-18-2019 at 11:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Garorg View Post
    Thanks, good suggestions! Maybe the Coalesced Magic set if you don't have the LGS boots yet for the crit damage?
    Well... the LGS boots give 35% crit damage and the coalesced magic gives 5% crit damage; not really a real comparison. You'll likely get LGS boots finished before a maxed sentient weapon. I haven't gotten all my large LGS mats yet, but you can make 30% LGS boots pretty easily within a few runs.

As for my gloves problem, I think once the Legendary Thimbletips (Gloves) get fixed from the new pack (Soul-splitter) and actually drop, I'll use them. I don't run maximize too much at cap (reapers/raids) to conserve sp, I already get Quick Draw from the EK Core 3 Enhancement, and I use displacement all the time. The only thing I get from it is the 31 Mystic Diversion.
    Last edited by Sythe777; 09-19-2019 at 12:13 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast