Community Member

Default Critical confirmation

Does it really auto fail on a 1?

Let me give u this example i saw the other day. By barb is running around in cerrulean hills (CR4 slayer area accessible from market place, it's where bargain of blood is located at). Was in fury of the wild to test some things.

So i activate adrenaline, and whack a CR4 kobold. It was not a 1 roll, but the attack didnt crit. Looking at the combat log, critical confirmation rolled a 1+100something.

Think i have mid 30% fort bybass on gear+ED. So does that CR4 kobold have fortification now, or do critical confirmations just auto fail on a 1?

Another example was in a von3 epic normal xp run, where i shot a cleric type mob on a crossbow build with an adrenaline charge with tons of fort bypass. It also rolled a 1 on confirmation and didnt crit.

According to wiki critical confirmation does not auto fail on a 1. The above seems to suggest otherwise. When did this change?

Community Member

I think the wiki is flat out wrong, and critical confirmation was at least always supposed to auto-fail on a 1. By RAW you need to roll high enough to hit in order to confirm a critical hit, and since you automatically miss when you roll a 1 no matter how high your to-hit is, rolling a 1 means your critical hit becomes a normal hit. If there ever was a time when you could confirm a critical hit even on a roll of 1, it was not WAI.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnie View Post
    I think the wiki is flat out wrong, and critical confirmation was at least always supposed to auto-fail on a 1. By RAW you need to roll high enough to hit in order to confirm a critical hit, and since you automatically miss when you roll a 1 no matter how high your to-hit is, rolling a 1 means your critical hit becomes a normal hit. If there ever was a time when you could confirm a critical hit even on a roll of 1, it was not WAI.
    Ty for the confirmation (no pun intended). Sad to see wiki flat out wrong.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Benfe23 View Post
    Ty for the confirmation (no pun intended). Sad to see wiki flat out wrong.
    ... did you update it ? Because that's how wiki's work.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnie View Post
    Skill rolls and critical confirmation rolls do not always miss on a 1. By time you mean 13 years of DDO plus 3.5 PHB?

Quote Originally Posted by Xyfiel View Post
    Skill rolls and critical confirmation rolls do not always miss on a 1. By time you mean 13 years of DDO plus 3.5 PHB?
    I can agree on skill rolls as I have rolled a 1 before doing a trap and got a critical on disable
    Ozzgood 51, 51, 27, 42, 115. Ozzbad 51, 51, 27, 42, 100. Ozzugly 45, 51, 27, 42, 145. EvilOzz 51, 51, 27, 42, 135. Ozzistheworst 39, 51, 16, 18, 75. Ozzthegreat 5, 5, 2, 0, 15. and Alts on Khyber
    Past Lives: Heroic, Epic, Iconic, Racial., Reaper Points,

Quote Originally Posted by Xyfiel View Post
    This is only accurate in that you don't miss your original attack if you roll a 1 on the crit confirmation. But you DON'T CRIT on a confirmation roll that's a 1, because that's an auto-miss, and you have to HIT for the crit to activate.

/pedant nerd hat on

Technically skills that are in "stressful circumstances" are also supposed to auto-fail on a 1. If you're at home in your workshop making a table, you can correct any problems that occur. If you're trying to build a table while hanging upside-down from a cliff over a dragon, that's different. This is not implemented in DDO the way it is in pen and paper--in pnp, for instance, disarming a trap is supposed to be considered "stressful circumstances" regardless, so you SHOULD auto-fail a trap disarm on a 1 (although not necessarily a catastrophic failure where you set the trap off on yourself). DDO ignores this, and if your skill is high enough you can disarm traps on a 1. Some skills you don't even ROLL in DDO, possibly because they realized what a colossal pain in the arse it would be to sit around searching for a trap over and over until you rolled decently. But then they cheerfully grief us just a tad by making us do this with locks.

And, of course, the fact that you CAN re-try social skills in DDO by talking to someone over and over and over and over, saying EXACTLY THE SAME THING each time, is just SILLY.

/nerd pedant hat off
    Kimmeh--Lehren--Natheme--Arekkeh--Daiahn--Yesminde
    Join Magefire Cannon on Thelanis!
    Follow PB on Twitch!
    PB's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoBlonde View Post
    This is only accurate in that you don't miss your original attack if you roll a 1 on the crit confirmation. But you DON'T CRIT on a confirmation roll that's a 1, because that's an auto-miss, and you have to HIT for the crit to activate.

/pedant nerd hat on

Technically skills that are in "stressful circumstances" are also supposed to auto-fail on a 1. If you're at home in your workshop making a table, you can correct any problems that occur. If you're trying to build a table while hanging upside-down from a cliff over a dragon, that's different. This is not implemented in DDO the way it is in pen and paper--in pnp, for instance, disarming a trap is supposed to be considered "stressful circumstances" regardless, so you SHOULD auto-fail a trap disarm on a 1 (although not necessarily a catastrophic failure where you set the trap off on yourself). DDO ignores this, and if your skill is high enough you can disarm traps on a 1. Some skills you don't even ROLL in DDO, possibly because they realized what a colossal pain in the arse it would be to sit around searching for a trap over and over until you rolled decently. But then they cheerfully grief us just a tad by making us do this with locks.

And, of course, the fact that you CAN re-try social skills in DDO by talking to someone over and over and over and over, saying EXACTLY THE SAME THING each time, is just SILLY.

/nerd pedant hat off
    I just watch a video I made in Feb to see if I was wrong and sure enough it fails on 1. I didn't think my memory was failing quite yet so did some searching and found confirmation it used not to(forum threads from many years ago). So I was right but it was changed.