Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Arrow Band together! Let's make brawling fun again!

PLEASE READ BEFORE REPLYING: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...the-PvP-Forums

Ledge-hopping needs to come to an end.

I miss the days of hop-around battles that could last minutes and kept you chugging pots.

Disable these things and the brawling area will become fun again...

Nerve Venom
    - Got to be Construct or Undead or you're out of luck. Nothing else can save you. Really OP considering all the ways it can be proc'd on you.

Throat Dagger
    - Knock-down + damage + unable to cast after you get back up? No save. Not even Celestial Spirit saves you. Super cheap and encourages people to spec in non-PvP ways.

Wizard Past Life Missiles
    - Inferior casters should not be allowed instakill shiradi force procs. Also, it bypasses Shield and Nightshield. That's silly and unfair.

Adrenaline Overload
    - If you didn't use Meld or Udying Vanguard you're dead. This ability encourages ledge-hopping.

Hurl through Hell
    - While savable, it is still unfair to toons such as a 20barbarian which would have to chase you down.

Meld Into Darkness
    - 100% dodge is ridiculous. You still have Dodge/PRR/DR without it. If spell absorption is gone, it shouldn't be too much of an issue to fight back against this. Especially if they can't use Adrenaline Overload.

Undying Vanguard
    - Going in with 10k HP gives an unfair advantage, especially if the cheap CC effects are removed.

Spell Absorption
    - Since we're disabling Meld, disable spell absorption too. Only fair.

Disable Construct
    - Only disable this if you're not disabling Throat Dagger. You can put on two uncleansed blank green steel items and get yourself out of it, but if they DC and follow up with TD you're done for.

AoE Spells
    - Spamming Ice Storm to drain absorption (should not be allowed in there) as well as get shiradi procs (also should not work in there) is bad. A single player can cover the entire pit with that spell.

Ruin/Greater Ruin
    - So you drain someone's spell absorption and instakill them? Not really fair. Personally, I think these spells cost too much SP to have for PvE but I know a lot of people still find room for it. I'd only take them if I had enough force spellpower and even then I'd only use it on bosses. This spell would need to be disabled in PvP if spell absorption went away for sure.

Song of Capering
    - Sure you can use the House Phiarlan Shield for this (or go undead) but some people are rangers and they use bows. They have no room for this. Then there's always the few times you take your shield off and some bard you didn't notice coming in hops down for a freebie.

Please note that this is simply a request to disable all this stuff for PvP only. This should not affect PvE at all. Also, it helps prevent people from rolling PvP toons. I've seen people go 3arti just for Disable Construct and I know for a fact they don't do traps. I've seen wizards spend 6 AP to go undead when they don't even do necro stuff. If anything, these changes would make PvP AND PvE better in the long-term.
    Last edited by Textuality; 02-03-2016 at 09:11 AM. Reason: Clarity.

In other words, just give everybody a stick and play whack-attack.
    CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    Collectibles

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by cdbd3rd View Post
    Not at all.

The only damage-based things I suggested be taken out are Past Life MM/Adrenaline Overload/Ruin/Greater Ruin.

Everything else is overpowered crowd control or cheap tricks that grant overpowered immunities.

This is absolutely correct. The OP seems to want only melees types to use their abilities but no one else. If you attack a magic user, expect to get attacked with magic.
    The Shadow Sage of Nusemne

(LYCEUM OF SHADOW): "ONLY FOOLS CALL THE SHADOW EVIL"

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pnumbra View Post
    This is absolutely correct. The OP seems to want only melees types to use their abilities but no one else. If you attack a magic user, expect to get attacked with magic.
    I don't play melee toons. I have played 20warlock (69 hurl DC) and 20monk (thrower, able to hold House P Shield). Saying only melee types to use their abilities... where did you even get that?

Melee toons can use those things as well. Any melee with a wizard past life could throw MM, get a Nerve Venom proc, and go beat down his target.

The abilities I suggested be disabled in PvP are abilities that are overpowered in PvP.

Casters have more abilities than just Throat Dagger (which most don't take unless for PvP anyway) and past-life missiles.

Here's some lists: http://ddowiki.com/page/Sorcerer_/_Wizard_spells and http://ddowiki.com/page/Cleric_/_Favored_Soul_spells

Mind telling me how disabling spell absorption helps a melee? Or Adrenaline Overload which my thrower could use? Heck, my 20monk uses the Harper line anyway I could always throw a Throat Dagger at a caster that comes in with Meld and kill them that way right? I came at this from a completely neutral stance trying to find the best ways to make PvP more enjoyable/fair across all toon types. I don't need people reading into it giving vague assumptions in response to someone making fun of my post as if I'm saying "just nerf everything". These are proven overpowered abilities that most people find to be "cheap".
    Last edited by Textuality; 02-03-2016 at 11:31 AM.

There are other PvP pits in the game - not just the Lobster. So fine... make niche rules for the underused/unloved ones.

Phoenix Tavern: melee free for all with extremely reduced magic functionality.
    Open Palm Inn: ALL magic abilities allowed, even that which is usually not allowed in public zones.
    Hammersmith's Inn: Allow viable Stealth... other players must pit their Spot vs. your Sneak skills.
    Wayward Lobster: same as-is: All's fair in P versus P in the Lobster.

Best idea of all - segregate all PvP arenas into their own instances. To ummm.... help lag.
    Exit, pursued by a bear. ~ William Shakespeare (stage direction from The Winter's Tale)

Community Member

Not only is that not possible for me or anyone else to enforce, but you're almost saying to just do away with PvP.

The Wayward Lobster is it's own instance already; as are the other arenas.

Quote Originally Posted by Textuality View Post
    ...just do away with PvP.
    Awesome idea, let's do this!

Quote Originally Posted by icekinslayer View Post
    Awesome idea, let's do this!
    This!

D&D isn't about E-peening. nor is it about balance (as D&D dev's have always favored casters and later skillful toons, like they were some nerd that got bullied by jocks and the game still reflects that)

Can we please just let pvp and all the baggage it brings as it is? in the dumpster?
    Quote Originally Posted by FlimsyFirewood View Post
    I play a guy with a two-hander not just in this game, but in every game that has 'em.
    Quote Originally Posted by J-mann View Post
    Not to derail the thread, but then can you make 2hf NOT suck so much compared to 2wf or swf?
    Quote Originally Posted by FlimsyFirewood View Post
    8 pages in, that train has already sailed. The dead horse is canned into cat food by now.

Not only is that not possible for me or anyone else to enforce, but you're almost saying to just do away with PvP.

Actually he very specifically did NOT say that. At all. And no, the PvP pits are not their own instances. They are still part of the area the tavern(s) sit in. Otherwise, their chats wouldn't bleed out into the street...

Niche rules for PvP pits used to be some of the more popular player-run events. Sharks 'n Minnows, for example. [Youngsters will have to check YouTube on that.] Just as with any other play style, all it takes is for everyone involved to be able to agree to the stated rules. Honor system, & all that.

(Reminder to the last two posters: we're in the PvP-protected zone here.)
    CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    Collectibles

Actually he very specifically did NOT say that. At all. And no, the PvP pits are not their own instances. They are still part of the area the tavern(s) sit in. Otherwise, their chats wouldn't bleed out into the street...

Niche rules for PvP pits used to be some of the more popular player-run events. Sharks 'n Minnows, for example. [Youngsters will have to check YouTube on that.] Just as with any other play style, all it takes is for everyone involved to be able to agree to the stated rules. Honor system, & all that.

(Reminder to the last two posters: we're in the PvP-protected zone here.)
    pfft rules. You just wait for those suckers to go at it then you jump in and murder everyone!!! Mwahahahaha.
    Through avarice, evil smiles; through insanity, it sings.

Cool Ban Hurl

I 110% agree with banning hurl. Warlocks will follow you to every tavern and just spam it.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    There are other PvP pits in the game - not just the Lobster. So fine... make niche rules for the underused/unloved ones.

Phoenix Tavern: melee free for all with extremely reduced magic functionality.
    Open Palm Inn: ALL magic abilities allowed, even that which is usually not allowed in public zones.
    Hammersmith's Inn: Allow viable Stealth... other players must pit their Spot vs. your Sneak skills.
    Wayward Lobster: same as-is: All's fair in P versus P in the Lobster.
    I like this a lot!

Not the rules specifically, but the concept of different rules in different taverns.
    Ligraph, Andonar and Inos on Khyber.

14. 02-20-2016, 12:09 PM

15. 02-20-2016, 11:46 PM

Community Member

Yes same thing on Sarlona now. They'll TR missile you (together) until your spell absorption is gone then hit you with a Ruin. They're not looking for a fair fight, which is why they get hit with Hurl.

Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council

Everything should be usable in Pvp or nothing should be and everyone just have the same hp and do the same damage.

Beware the Sleepeater

Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council

Not really I think they mean that all chat in the pvp arena's should be in its own channel and not general and I support that.

Beware the Sleepeater

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Uska View Post
    Not really I think they mean that all chat in the pvp arena's should be in its own channel and not general and I support that.
    They do their chatting on the ledge though.

Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council

They do their chatting on the ledge though.
    Which should be in a private Pvp channel so nobody has to hear it .

Beware the Sleepeater

Community Member the_one_dwarfforged's Avatar

the only thing more genuinely ******** than pvp in ddo are the people who post in pvp threads with empty comments about how stupid pvp is.

you would think that the nerds who were bullied would be most interested in a live and let live philosophy. sheesh.

Default In case of no other ideas copy>paste from other games

First of all: i don't enjoy pvp. For me it's boring and pointless, there's nothing cool in fighting each other for me. But a lot of players enjoy pvp and they won't play game without this system. Thats why i'll fully support any attempts to do something with pvp in ddo. Maybe it's offtop, but month ago i saw news about old mmorpg i played before ddo. They got (in my opinion) cool ideas for pvp events that could be easly implemented into ddo. I was too lazy to post it, but maybe it's right moment. I truly belive more pvp can bring more players to game/give more to do for current playerbase.

1. Chaos.

PvP event, it starts every few hrs. Players got 10 min to sign for it, then everyone who signed is teleported to new pvp stance (around 20 players each stance). Everyone got same character, with same stats, same build, skills, name (so you cannot recognize others and play with them together) etc. Everyone fight against everyone for 10-20 min, from time to time random bonuses spawn on map: like aoe spells components, healing potions, components to use 1 time instant kill. In ddo it could be silver flame potions, higher lvl spells components, hurl use, etc. After death you spawn in random place on map, so it was a little bit chaotic and preventing players from playing together. Three best players wins boxes (different types, so 1st got best box, 2nd lesser, 3rd the weakest one). Boxes were like daily roll: they let player to take a part in lotery, but with nice named items chance (really low of course). Everyone got xp based on his lvl/kills/death. For example someone with 10 kills 1 death gets 10k xp, someone with 1 kill 10 deaths - 1k xp. Someone with lvl 20 gets 20k xp, someone with lvl 1 - 1k. It encouraged everyone to play this event - to kill boredom between quests, and even last player gets some kind of reward (xp) so it wasn't waste of time.

It could be easly implemented in ddo. For example every class gets lvl 20 build and then entire stance roll class. One stance will play warriors, other wizards. Every time you'll play something else, so there'll be less boredom, every time you'll get some kind of reward (scalled xp). Boxes can be mats in ddo in same way as mats in challanges. You get mats based on your score, mats you can exchange for items. And even if you dont need any item - it always xp during lvling.

2. Border war defense

Players sign for event, then players are teleported to stance with ppl with similiar character lvl. Two teams were fighting for flag in the middle (1 min to capture, few min to defend, then victory). After death players were teleported to spawn point on the other side of map, so reaching flag took a moment. Again - best team gets better rewards, the one who lost - lesser ones.

In ddo we've already got few pvp maps: deathmach and capture the flag (honestly i forgot about them, month ago i noticed they exist), so in fact they don't have to create new ones - just give tools to group and reason to run. Once again devs can create builds for every class. After teleporting each stance rolls classes (for example 1st stance 2 casters, 2 tanks, cleric, rogue) and everyone from team roll which one he'll play. Every time someone will roll different role/build, so it won't be so boring.

Since there's not enough player to create events for players at the same lvl it can be really great idea for ddo. Players from each lvl, from 1 to 30, can join events like that and it'll be more about skills, and less about gear/lvl.

But of course players love their characters, love their progress, love their items, past lifes etc. Thats why i think there should be 1v1 end game tournament. With scoreboard, ranking, maybe something like winner streak. With rewards system and glory for winners. Add big monument in the middle of stormreach and every update add winners names to it lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast