Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Hero
    Mmm... purple!

Default Is this a preview of the "new Mabar?"

I took a wrong turn on my way to meet Dead Girl outside Valak's Mausoleum in Delera's Graveyard tonight and accidentally stumbled upon a "Mysterious Portal." After a bit of looking I found three more of them.

They are portals to challenges and all of them reference the DDO FallFest, The Night Revels, which I can only assume (and hope) is the long awaited replacement for Mabar.

They all say I can't enter them because I don't have access to the FallFest Content Pack. I wonder how much that will cost?

That "can't play it 'cause you don't own it" had better be some kind of mistake, otherwise my entire opinion of the "Mabar replacement" festival could be summed up with a single finger.
    I would still like to see... Something that tests character versatility and player adaptability rather than character focus strength and quest knowledge.
    I play the quests for the content of the quests not just as an XP/min merry-go-round.
    Actual play experience is worth infinitely more than theorycrafting...

just checked on Khyber - yep it there.

Am VIP and had a challenge token....

no entrance permitted....

Still glad to see it moving forward.

When did they decide players love Challenges?

I say it is very innovative to replace a public area monster slaying fest and a 25 people instance with ... Challenges.

I can't wait to farm these ingredients.

Quote Originally Posted by Ykt View Post

I say it is very innovative to replace a public area monster slaying fest and a 25 people instance with ... Challenges.

details not yet released - but supposed to have public slaying and ... something sorta like challenges.

Quote Originally Posted by Ykt View Post

When public instances cause player vs. player hate, it's a step in the right direction.
    Lich - Lichclaw - Lichdust - Lichfate - Lichgaze - Lichrot - Lichsoul - Lichvault
    Ghallanda ReRolled
    DDOCast Contributor http://www.ddocast.com/
    http://www.twitch.tv/g_lich

Community Member

No thanks. Not sure what I was hoping for but 35 minute long challenges was definitely not it.
    How much Ghost could a Ghostbane Bane if a Ghostbane could Bane Ghost?

But... I like challenges! I even have challenge dedicated toons...

*takes cover*
    Bought my first dungeon master's guide in 1992. My favourite part of ddo is coffee and slayers

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    Those look very long for challenges. Some of them say 35 minutes.
    I don't much experience with the challenges (tried em, didn't like em much), are the times listed on their doors accurate?
    I would still like to see... Something that tests character versatility and player adaptability rather than character focus strength and quest knowledge.
    I play the quests for the content of the quests not just as an XP/min merry-go-round.

Interesting. My question would be are these going to be available year round? Can they sell a pack that isn't? Maybe if you buy it you have year round access but token access is only seasonal.

Tell folks you know to start grabbing their free daily tokens if they don't normally do that.

Quote Originally Posted by PermaBanned View Post
    I don't much experience with the challenges (tried em, didn't like em much), are the times listed on their doors accurate?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by PermaBanned View Post
    Timed challenges have a countdown timer, similar to how it works in Hold For Reinforcements. Once the time expires the challenge ends, and you get rewarded by how much you accomplish within that time.

Just had to go and log in to have a look at these things. A couple of them do have 35 minute durations. That would put them in the same ballpark as completed Rushmore challenges.

Default Unfinished Business

I had a post in the Mabar Re-Incarnated thread where I said Turbine needs a win here, and I hold to that thought. I am withholding judgment on Night Revels until we see the finished product.

The new mat's are true to form to what we've been told in the previews, but what I still really want to know is if we will be able to trade or convert the old Mabar mat's in some shape, form or fashion. 'Deprecated' is one thing...if they can be converted to the new mat's at say a 5:1 ratio, that can be considered deprecated but still be functional.
    "When asked if the developers hate the players, as they make so many challenging jumping puzzles, their response was that they have what they consider a “… normal amount of contempt for the players.” This is good. A dungeon master should always nurse a healthy contempt for his or her players."

Spoilers!

You will not need to own or buy a Content Pack to play the Night Revels. Don't read to closely into anything you see here (such as Challenge durations, or how you think Challenges play). The event is not in a finished state in the current Live build. We'll have more info about the event soon!
    We don't only build for the builds that exist.
    We don't only build for the builds that are good right now.

The fact that some changes are necessary is not diminished by the fact that other necessary changes have not happened yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelstar View Post
    You will not need to own or buy a Content Pack to play the Night Revels.
    Ok cool, and thanx!

Self-Appointed Coin Lord of the Seas ForgettableNPC's Avatar

Well, I'm fine as long as they don't pull a Short Cuts where you can't seem to ever finish one of the objectives no matter how well you do or pull a Dr. Rushmore's Mansion where if you DO happen to complete everything, you have to wait a REALLY long time for the timer to run out otherwise it won't count.
    Just a random, forgettable NPC doing things an NPC does
    Things that NPCs do include, but are not limited to:

Having a gold goblet over my head to indicate availability of a quest
    Having a catchphrase that never really catches on
    Having various rewards that are generally not worth the trouble
    Wandering around randomly
    Giving out obvious information if it wasn't obvious enough
    Repeating the same lines over and over again
    Repeating the same lines over and over again

Community Member

Spoilers!

You will not need to own or buy a Content Pack to play the Night Revels. Don't read to closely into anything you see here (such as Challenge durations, or how you think Challenges play). The event is not in a finished state in the current Live build. We'll have more info about the event soon!
    That doesn't preclude required purchases to actually participate. Please don't just give out five free "spooky challenge tokens" and then make anything worth crafting require six+ runs to complete.

Buy stacks of 50 spooky challenge tokens; only 100 Astral Shards or 20 Turbine Points! Buy a haunted candy bag and all undead you kill have a chance to drop spooky challenge tokens into it, just 150 Turbine Points in the DDO Store!

Community Member

Spoilers!

Good news. Im fine with a challenge type format if it ends up that way, but for a limited duration festival, I would much prefer a shorter, more farmable duration.
    How much Ghost could a Ghostbane Bane if a Ghostbane could Bane Ghost?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast