Page 6 of 29 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Trillea View Post
    You keep pushing Empyrian Magic, but how are you building its stacks? I see no light or fire spells (eldritch blast doesn't cause stacks to build AFAIK unless in aura mode).

Am I missing something obvious here?
    Empyrean magic is triggered by fire, light or healing spells. I have divine wrath (20 second cooldown), mass cure moderate (9 sec cooldown), cocoon (12 sec cooldown). The stack duration is 10 seconds.

For me the test is whether without any effort I am at max stacks during big fights. I find I always am because in difficult content one of those 3 spells is going to go off every 10 seconds. In easy quests probably not - but twists are for more difficult content in my opinion. It's possible other things (golem heart maybe) is triggering the empyrean magic besides what i have listed, but I am always at max stacks in the big difficult fights. I am not sure about judgement - I will have to test that. I throw those out quite a bit in ee amarath to setup chain reactions.

Things like lantern ring and eld blast don't trigger empyrean magic. i really like the extra 20 spell power and 10% critical chance - especially with warlock critical damage bonuses.

On the other hand blood radiance is always tempting but whenever I check I can't keep my stacks up.
    DC Warlock Reaper Build (U48)
    Max DC Illusionist Reaper Build (U48)

Quote Originally Posted by Klixen View Post
    It's not 10% more crit damage, it's 30% (well, not 30% added but the extra crit damage goes from 30% to 60% with capstone).

Since you're blasting, I think you may be missing two very important enhancements - 4th core in ES and the Spiritual Retribution - those two together are 6d6 light (scaled by whatever your EB stance is) - that's almost 50% of your EB base damage at 20 warlock. Didn't notice your gear options, but fit in a Lantern Ring for another 3d6 light on each hit if you haven't done so already
    I've always taken the core 4 from both Enlightened Spirit and Tainted Scholar. My understanding is that the critical damage bonus list is cumulative, i..e., it increases from 10% to 20% to 30% rather than it being additive. I didn't notice a drop in DPS when I switched from 20 Warlock to 17 Warlock / 3 favored soul.

However, if I am wrong about that I will definitely need to reconsider. I had two problems in ee Amarath which prompted the change:

1) My DC spells weren't landing enough except for Evards which I wasn't even spec'd for.
    2) I was too squishy and the lack off cc really made this more of a problem. I wasn't able to solo without dying on my pure warlock 20 as either tainted scholar or enlightened spirit, although I might have been able to with a few more runs. Still, the 17 warlock / paladin 3 performed much better there and still works in other places (EN Defiler of the just raid for example).

I always used lantern ring. 3d6 light damage from the level 18 core isn't even on the radar screen considering what I would have to give up for it.
    Last edited by slarden; 08-17-2015 at 02:54 PM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by slarden View Post
    I've always taken the core 4 from both Enlightened Spirit and Tainted Scholar. My understanding is that the critical damage bonus list is cumulative, i..e., it increases from 10% to 20% to 30% rather than it being additive. I didn't notice a drop in DPS when I switched from 20 Warlock to 17 Warlock / 3 favored soul.

However, if I am wrong about that I will definitely need to reconsider. I had two problems in ee Amarath which prompted the change:

1) My DC spells weren't landing enough except for Evards which I wasn't even spec'd for.
    2) I was too squishy and the lack off cc really made this more of a problem. I wasn't able to solo without dying on my pure warlock 20 as either tainted scholar or enlightened spirit, although I might have been able to with a few more runs. Still, the 17 warlock / paladin 3 performed much better there and still works in other places (EN Defiler of the just raid for example).

I always used lantern ring. 3d6 light damage from the level 18 core isn't even on the radar screen considering what I would have to give up for it.
    The critical damage increase is from 30 to 60 on taking the capstone and the damage numbers match my parsing precisely. I understand the problem taking core 4 with only 17 levels but why 3 pal levels instead of 2? The knockdown immunity is quite tasty as well, also the ability to take spiritual retribution is nice. Remember all the light damage added is scaled by your essence stance scaling.

The critical damage increase is from 30 to 60 on taking the capstone and the damage numbers match my parsing precisely. I understand the problem taking core 4 with only 17 levels but why 3 pal levels instead of 2? The knockdown immunity is quite tasty as well, also the ability to take spiritual retribution is nice. Remember all the light damage added is scaled by your essence stance scaling.
    You've made some incorrect statements about my build. I am taking spiritual retribution and both core 4s with my current build as shown in the picture here:

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post5665814

I am also using the lantern ring as I do on all my casting builds.

I am not taking either level 18 core obviously since I am 17 warlock / 3 paladin. If I went 18 warlock / 2 paladin the enlightened spirit core gives me feather falling, knockdown immunity and 3d6 more light damage on my eldritch blast. What I am getting from 3 paladin instead of 2 paladin is the defensive stance which gives me 25 PRR, 15 MRR, +3 more to saves and 20% more hitpoints.

Feather falling is lolz for a level 18 ability. Getting knocked down hasn't even been a minor problem with this build. As a percentage of damage output 3d6 as add-on damage isn't making that much of a difference compared to the extra PRR and MRR. Being more survivable also increases dps because you don't have to exit combat sa much to stay alive.

So to me the basic trade-off of /2 pal vs. /3 pal is 3d6 light damage vs. 25 PRR/15MRR/+3 saves/20%more hp.

There are no absolutes in this game when trade-offs are involved. If a person's biggest challenge of the new content is incoming damage 3 paladin may be a nice option for them. If there biggest problem is dps they can go with 3d6 light damage. On most fights 3d6 extra damage is a rounding error resulting in one more cast some times and 0 additional casts other times.

As for the critical damage % I didn't notice much of a dps loss when I changed builds, but being more surivivable also helps with dps because it requires less self-healing and allows me to stay in combat and fight continuously. I'll have to check that out - I always thought it was cumulative.

As you can see from the original build I was a pure 20 warlock and I was taking the tainted scholar capstone for extra critical damage. The build worked great for me everywhere but wasn't capable of soloing ee Amarath. After the changes I was able to solo ee Amarath so the trade-offs are beneficial in my opinion.
    Last edited by slarden; 08-18-2015 at 05:29 AM.

Does the Judgement light damage get boosted by light spell power and does it proc empyrean?

Community Member

You've made some incorrect statements about my build. I am taking spiritual retribution and both core 4s with my current build as shown in the picture here:

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post5665814

I am also using the lantern ring as I do on all my casting builds.

I am not taking either level 18 core obviously since I am 17 warlock / 3 paladin. If I went 18 warlock / 2 paladin the enlightened spirit core gives me feather falling, knockdown immunity and 3d6 more light damage on my eldritch blast. What I am getting from 3 paladin instead of 2 paladin is the defensive stance which gives me 25 PRR, 15 MRR, +3 more to saves and 20% more hitpoints.

Feather falling is lolz for a level 18 ability. Getting knocked down hasn't even been a minor problem with this build. As a percentage of damage output 3d6 as add-on damage isn't making that much of a difference compared to the extra PRR and MRR. Being more survivable also increases dps because you don't have to exit combat sa much to stay alive.

So to me the basic trade-off of /2 pal vs. /3 pal is 3d6 light damage vs. 25 PRR/15MRR/+3 saves/20%more hp.

There are no absolutes in this game when trade-offs are involved. If a person's biggest challenge of the new content is incoming damage 3 paladin may be a nice option for them. If there biggest problem is dps they can go with 3d6 light damage. On most fights 3d6 extra damage is a rounding error resulting in one more cast some times and 0 additional casts other times.

As for the critical damage % I didn't notice much of a dps loss when I changed builds, but being more surivivable also helps with dps because it requires less self-healing and allows me to stay in combat and fight continuously. I'll have to check that out - I always thought it was cumulative.

As you can see from the original build I was a pure 20 warlock and I was taking the tainted scholar capstone for extra critical damage. The build worked great for me everywhere but wasn't capable of soloing ee Amarath. After the changes I was able to solo ee Amarath so the trade-offs are beneficial in my opinion.
    My apologies, I meant the fifth core when I wrote the fourth - hope my comments make more sense with that in mind. The selling point of ES Core 5 is definitely not the FF, but the 3d6 light damage is actually quite a bit - with that build you'll have 8d6 base with another 4d6 from blasts and 3d6 from Spiritual Retribution. Adding another 3d6 is 20% more dps from the blast damage part

But I totally agree that a dead character does 0 dps, the balance is to find the tipping point where one can (just) survive and put everything else left over into offense.

I only meant to point out the potential dps increase, not to pick on your build which I actually think is very nicely thought out and balanced

I only meant to point out the potential dps increase, not to pick on your build which I actually think is very nicely thought out and balanced
    No worries, I only wanted to point out the incorrect statements you made about my build so others weren't confused. Since I changed my build significantly for eAmarath I can see why there would be confusion.
    Last edited by slarden; 09-10-2015 at 03:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HuneyMunster View Post
    Does the Judgement light damage get boosted by light spell power and does it proc empyrean?
    I did some testing and judgement does not proc empyrean, but I did figure out why it's so easy to keep it up. Eldritch burst and spirit blast do proc empyrean magic as long as you hit a target. If there are no enemies impacted it doesn't proc empyrean magic. So the following are used to keep 10 stacks:

Eldritch Burst: 5 second cooldown
    Spirit Blast: 5 second cooldown
    Divine Wrath: 20 second cooldown
    Cure Mass Moderate Wounds: 9 second cooldown
    Cocoon: 12 second cooldown

Just doing some quick testing in epic orchard and it gets to 10 stacks quickly with no real effort. Fire energy burst adds another proc SLA.

Default A pure Warlock 20 U27 Build

I had someone ask me for a pure 20 Warlock dps build for U27 since they didn't want to TR and didn't want to use a +3 lesser heart for paladin levels. I should have probably posted something on that sooner.

This build will let you switch between cc and dps builds during an etr since race and class split is identical. The one drawback of eldritch blast is that everytime I interrupt it to cast a higher dps spell I feel like there is a delay and I am losing dps. So I am going back closer to my first lamannia build which was an enlightened spirit pure warlock 20 DPS build using aura rather than blast. While the aura is passively at work I use low cost spells and slas for more dps.

I've been running this build for about a week - mostly to determine what procs empyrean magic and blood and radiance.

The basic idea is to keep the aura going and use other spells instead of alternating between the eld blast and other spells. This does cost more sp, but I use mostly low costs slas and free warlock clickies. Ruin is very nice, but it drains your sp in a hurry. Still, I like keeping it for some big burst damage. However, if you are running out of sp you can take something like epic damage reduction for 10 more prr.

The aura and blasts charge up empyrean magic and blood and radiance. The reborn in light epic moment is worth taking. Basically, the aura blasts and self healing will keep you at 10 stacks of everything. The DPS is higher than the 17 warlock / 3 paladin version, but PRR, MRR and saves are lower - also you lose the 30/60 damage reduction from the heavy dragonscale armor. Still it's a very survivable build with the great self healing and hp bonus from enlightened spirit. It really depends on your personal play style which is best to play. I tend to favor defenses because I find the dps loss is small enough and "not dying" helps dps as well. If you have 6 or more PDK/Divine past lifes I would use this build instead. Every so often you will fail a save and die, but for the most part with a few PDK/Divine past lifes you will have a solid PRR/MRR and high hp, but saves are a bit weak. When I get sightless I am planning some gear changes.

The aura keeps ticking and acts as a burst. My spell rotation for bursts is:

Divine Wrath - 40 sp
    Spirit Blast- 0 sp
    Eldritch Burst 0 sp
    Energy Burst 20 sp

Single target spells:
    Avenging Light - 3sp
    Consume - 0 sp
    Stricken - 0 sp
    Ruin - 119 sp (use situationally only)

Light spellpower is over 550 without any pots. It's 600 with potions and over 730 with the reborn in light epic moment and tainted spellcasting activated.

GEAR

Goggles: Intricate Optics Ins Charisma +3 (fear immunity / ins dex +2 slotted)
    Helm: Epic Deific Diadem (power 250 and feather falling slotted)
    Necklace: Epic Noxious Embers (Blindness Immunity and Golem Heart Slotted) or can use Resonance from DOTJ
    Trinket: Manual of Stealthy Pilfering (for bonus to spellcraft basically since DC isn't critical) (Golem's Heart Slotted)
    Cloak: Mysterious Cloak (Heal +15 and Armored Agility +2 slotted - armored agility increases dodge cap by 2)
    Belt: Epic Belt of Thoughtful Rememberance (ins con + 2 and greater enchantment focus slotted)
    Ring: Ward Token (ins str +2 and ins char + 2 slotted)
    Gloves: Iron Mitt (ins int +2 slotted)
    Boots: Halcyon Boots (Globe of True Imperial Blood and Greater Evocation slotted)
    Lantern Ring (Greater conjuration and spellcraft 15 slotted)
    Dumathoin's Bracers (Good Luck +2 slotted - did'nt replace it yet)
    Shadow Dragonscale Armor with shadow caster(HP 40 and Spell Agility 15 slotted)

Epic Rod of Mythant with Devotion 138 slotted
    Thunderforged Orb: Resonance 150, Sonic Lore 22%, conjuration focus with Meridian Fragment and Perform 13 (best I have ) slotted

There is alot of raid gear, but you don't need any of it really. I plan to get the new acid bracers to replace Dumathoin's but I don't have it yet. One compelling option is to use epic chord of reprisals and Libram of Silver Magic for the orb and using the 17% lore from epic noxious embers. This will likely result in a dps increase overall with 15 more light spell power and 2% more crit chance and damage for everything. If I had enough mats to make a thunderforged light weapon I would do it , but I don't.

FEATS:

1) Empower
    3) Maximize
    6) Conjuration Focus (Shield Proficiency if using a buckler)
    9) Quicken
    12) Force of Personality
    15) Past Life Wizard
    18) Improved Spell Focus Conjuration (shield mastery with buckler or toughness if you can get to 21 base on by 24)
    21) Epic Eldritch Blast
    24) Epic Spell Focus Conjuration (or Improved Shield Mastery with buckler or Epic Toughness if you can get to 21 base con)
    26) Epic Arcane Eldritch Blast
    27) Ruin
    28) Spell Power Light

Another option instead of conjuration line is mental toughness line for more sp. You could also go with evocation for 20% better success rate on pact damage, but I really like the utility of evards and it works well in high level EE content since the save is based on a strength check rather than a traditional save.
    Last edited by slarden; 10-04-2015 at 06:33 AM.

The critical damage increase is from 30 to 60
    What are you talking about? Have you tested it? I'm almost sure it is cumulative, your extra critical damage goes from +20% to +30% with the capstone, instead of from +30 to +60.

The aura and blasts charge up empyrean magic and blood and radiance.
    Cool, but how are you getting the extra light spellpower from blood and radiance? You need to cast posivite energy spells. Do you spam the mass cure sla from EA core?

Light spellpower is over 550 without any pots. It's 600 with potions and over 730 with the reborn in light epic moment and tainted spellcasting activated.

What's you sticken damage? Is it worth it? I never took it. Just did a simple math and even with 600 spellpower for me it's only a 420 damage clickie (12d6+12d6*6*1.5). When I'm on single target I just change to the focused eldtrich blast because I belive it's more damage overall. Am I missing anything that makes sticken so good?

Epic Rod of Mythant with Devotion 138 slotted
    Thunderforged Orb: Resonance 150, Sonic Lore 22%, conjuration focus with Meridian Fragment and Perform 13 (best I have ) slotted
    What's with Rod Mythant? And why not radiance lore instead of sonic lore?

Quote Originally Posted by Ellihor View Post
    Cool, but how are you getting the extra light spellpower from blood and radiance? You need to cast posivite energy spells. Do you spam the mass cure sla from EA core?
    Interestingly enough the aura procs both the positive and light for blood and radiance charging both up to 10 very quickly. I assume somehow either beacon or brilliance is treated as positive energy. I can't remember if the eldritch burst or spirit blast proc'd the positive energy portion, but I am sure about the aura. I think it was just the aura along with mass cure wounds and cocoon that procs the positive.

What's you sticken damage? Is it worth it? I never took it. Just did a simple math and even with 600 spellpower for me it's only a 420 damage clickie (12d6+12d6*6*1.5). When I'm on single target I just change to the focused eldtrich blast because I belive it's more damage overall. Am I missing anything that makes sticken so good?
    Yeah with the high spellpower makes sticken and consume really good - slightly better versions of niac's biting cold because of the higher spell power potential and extra crit damage. There are so many numbers floating around so it's hard to tell which #s are coming from which spells/abilities, but I see #s on bosses over 1000 (which I am sure are coming from consume/stricken) which isn't bad for a 0 sp ability.

I use it on bosses or the highest hp enemies (or most dangerous) while everything else is on cooldown. I mostly rely on the combination of the passive aura + spirit blast + eldritch burst + divine wrath + energy burst over and over again to clear anything around me.

What's with Rod Mythant? And why not radiance lore instead of sonic lore?
    Epic Rod of Mythant is the weapon which I have just for the ruin: http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Epic_Rod_of_Mythant

It comes from epic demon assault and can come with either +2 or +4 mythic boost to universal spellpower.

Unfortunately this character more than any of my others has a history of screwing up crafted items. This is my main character so I ran alot of deathwyrms and the first time around I made one weapon with shadow phlogs and another with fire phlogs. Then I realized I screwed up and should have made a spell lore item since I was a shiradi caster. So I ran another 40 of each raid and used my shadow phlogs but never used the fire phlogs. So basically, I only had enough fire phlogs to make a weapon for this build and not enough shadow phlogs.

At the time I thought lantern ring is good enough and it really is, but since light is everything on this character I should have made a Tier 3 light weapon, slotted 138 force, and relied on the 17% lore on my necklace for force and sonic. I am not about to run another 40 fire on thunder peaks to correct that mistake although I did think about it lol. I assume eShroud will be my chance to retool.

So your point is good, that a radiance/radiance lore t3 thunderforged weapon is the better choice than sonic. I am losing 5% and 6sp on my radiance, but gaining on my sonic. So I am losing a bit vs. a more optimal gear setup, but it's not a disaster.

I assume that the fact that you are still using the shadow platemail for the 20 warlock version is a typo right? You are probably using medium armor for that version.

Also would you be able to post a screenshot of your prr/mrr and resists with the 20 warlock version, as well as a quick breakdown of your light spellpower?
    Last edited by Relenthe; 09-17-2015 at 03:07 AM.
    Exelin etc, exception Estelix of Elite Raiders, Khyber
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladrin View Post
    I often word things in ways that cause the most speculation and panic, because I'm capricious and mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Relenthe View Post
    I assume that the fact that you are still using the shadow platemail for the 20 warlock version is a typo right? You are probably using medium armor for that version.
    Yes. I knew I was forgetting to update something. Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Relenthe View Post
    Also would you be able to post a screenshot of your prr/mrr and resists with the 20 warlock version, as well as a quick breakdown of your light spellpower?
    Spellpower Light
    Item: 144
    Spellcraft: 91 (with GH)
    Power of Enlightenment Tier 2 Light Spellpower: 15
    Power of Enlightenment Tier 2 Universal Spellpower: 6
    Power of Enlightenment Tier 3 Light Spellpower: 15
    Power of Enlightenment Tier 3 Universal Spellpower: 6
    Ultimate Enlightenment Light Spellpower: 20
    Ultimate Enlightenment Universal Spellpower: 10
    Tainted Spellcasting: 17
    Inhuman Understanding: 10
    Hungry for Destruction: 6
    Exalted Angel: Radiant Power: 30
    Past Life Morninglord Active Feat: 30
    Epic Spellpower Light Feat: 20
    Spellcasting Implement: 36
    Guild Ship Buffs: 15
    Fey Form: 15
    Tome of Universal Spellpower: 2
    Total Before Effects: 488
    Blood and Radiance: 30
    Empyrean Magic: 20
    Meridian Fragment: 24
    Total Before Consumables and Clickies: 562
    Potion of Greater Brilliance: 20
    Commendation Potion of Universal Spellpower: 25 (yes it stacks with the other potions)
    Total Before Epic Moment and Clicky: 607
    Reborn in Light Epic Moment: 100
    Tainted Spellcasting: 25
    Total Burst Light Spellpower Before Metamagic: 732
    Maximize: 150
    Empower: 75
    Total Burst Light Spellpower: 957

Obviously the commendation potions are not sustainable to run continuously and the Epic Moment is only available 2 out of 10 minutes.

Note: an easy 15 improvement to this would be to use the Libram of Silver Magic which gives 5 additional spellcraft beyond the 15 augment and 10 insightful spellpower which should stack. If you go human you get 6 20 Spellpower action boost clickies for 1 AP which I would do if human. The 16 AP cost to get 30 spellpower from sun elf is too much in my opinion considering what else you would have to give up for a 3.881% spellpower boost. (30/773 which backs out Reborn in light, tainted spellcasting, meridian fragment and the commendation potions. Everything also can be charged up quickly and is easy to sustain.)

PRR
    Medium Armor: 20
    Medium armor Proficiency: 17 (tested by taking armor on and off - total benefit of med armor is 37 when Resilience of Body is toggled off)
    Spiritual Bastion: 13
    Resilience of Body: 6 (due to BAB bonus)
    Dumathoin's Bracers: 30
    Celestial Spirit: 6 (tested by toggling on and off - has 6 PRR benefit I wasn't expecting)
    Past Lifes: 0 - 36 Divine/PDK
    ----------------------------------
    Total PRR depending on past lifes: 92 - 128

Epic Defenses is available as a level 27 feat for 10 PRR. I am not taking this feat, but Ruin is the feat I am most likely to change due to the high sp cost which is not thematic for this build. I use it to take out dangerous casters and champions, but I find myself using it less and less due to the sp cost.

MRR
    Paragon's Aegis Feat x 5: 25
    Medium Armor: 20
    Dumathoin's Bracers: 30
    Shape Vestements: 10
    Resilence of Soul: 6
    Spiritual Ward: 13
    Mysterious Cloak: 25
    Past Lifes: 0 - 9
    --------------------------
    Total MRR depending on # of warlock past lifes 129-138

Resistances:

Fire/Cold/Acid/Electric/Sonic

Dumathoin's Bracers: 45
    Ship Buffs: 15
    Ranger Past Lifes: 6

Sonic Only: Fey Resistance: 5

Fire: 66
    Cold: 66
    Acid: 66
    Electric: 66
    Sonic: 71

If you optimize your gear so you can use the Resonation necklace instead of epic noxious embers you will have resists of 81 for everything except sonic which would be 86.

SAVES

Saves are a definite weak spot of this build. With GH (from scroll or draconic necklace swap) saves are:

Fortitude: 47
    Reflex: 49
    Will: 64

I have 4 ways to mitigate problems from my low saves:

1) CC: I have power word stun, otto's irresistable, dark delerium and black tentacles. This takes care of most any enemy that can exploit my low saves. It obviously won't help me against red names,.e.g, the boss in EE what goes up - if he throws a flesh to stone at me I am dead.
    2) High DPS. It goes without saying that the faster I take down an enemy the shorter amount of time they have to do damage to me. This is the only thing that keeps me from exchanging ruin for epic defenses to get an additional 10 PRR. Ruin allows me to take down a high-threat target more quickly.
    3) MRR: 129-138 MRR reduces a good amount of incoming spell damage by 56-58% depending on past lifes. High MRR is a class feature of warlock.
    4) Recovery: One feature of the Reborn in Light epic moment is that I can use it while dead to revive myself to full, give me 100 light spellpower, 50% incorporeality and 100 positive spellpower. Basically it's my "do over" button. This is a great feature of someone that solos because we all know stuff happens sometimes - lag, unexpected players actions changes enemy ai, etc. I prefer to group and solo mainly for challenge, but even in a group it's helpful to have this ability. It also helps at the end fight of defiler of the just if the party wiped due to lag and the bosses big ability. It gives you a non-jibbers option.

The saves are what keeps this build from being an absolute top tier build like paladin or barbarian, although it's close in my opinion and an experienced player can easily manage with the low saves. Some people go 18 warlock / 2 paladin for the saves, but losing the enlightened spirit capstone costs you 30 light spellpower, +2 con, +2 cha, 20% hp and 6 PRR. That's alot to give up for just saves. The loss of hp alone makes you more vulnerable to spike damage from champions and very tough red names.

17 Warlock /3 paladin gives you the saves + superior defenses, but the aura is 3 seconds instead of 2 meaning it's more likely to be a pew pew build. Still, if I ever try out 17 warlock / 3 paladin again I will try it with the aura instead of pew pew for comparison purposes.
    Last edited by slarden; 09-20-2015 at 08:03 AM.

Community Member

What are you talking about? Have you tested it? I'm almost sure it is cumulative, your extra critical damage goes from +20% to +30% with the capstone, instead of from +30 to +60.
    I tested it, it is +60, like the char page says.

Did you test otherwise?

Default U28 Update

I don't plan any changes to this build for U28. There are no new developments other than enemies hitting a little harder. The PRR and MRR are still sufficient for the content. I didn't run into any major problems due to failed saves.

I didn't see any U28 items I plan to incorporate into my build. I was able to solo all 4 quests on EE with relative ease. I was killed by red slaad the first time through but then re-ran the quest with a bit more caution and was able to solo the quest without dying.

The end boss in Tavern Brawl hits hard and I doubt I can withstand his big attacks, but you always have the option of just backing up when you see the yellow text of him talking - that was my strategy and it worked fine.

I am going to give this build a try and was wondering at what levels to take the paladin class or does it not matter really?

Thanks

18. 09-29-2015, 07:18 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Arilis View Post
    I am going to give this build a try and was wondering at what levels to take the paladin class or does it not matter really?

Thanks
    I would take the paladin levels later so that you can get a really good feel for pure warlock in case you change your mind and want to go pure. With pure you also have the option of using unyielding sentinel for more survivability as well, although I think exalted angel is much better. I've tried both and haven't found a quest where I need the extra hp/prr, although it's an option worth considering - going pure and switching to unyielding sentinel for the most difficult classes.

If It was me I would take paladin levels at 17/18/19. And of course with paladin levels you can still go into unyielding sentinel for even more survivability.

I believe I took force of personality on my 17 warlock / 3 pal life and while it worked out fine, it probably wasn't needed. You can take something else instead of that feat unless you want super high will saves.

Community Member

Default Bladeforged version

Slarden,

I am considering the 17/3pally version on a bladeforged.

The bf healing is one advantage, but the reduced Cha a drawback.

Do you think BF would be viable and what changes would you consider to keep the build EE capable?

I suspect that I would need to drop the conjuration focus feats in favour of adamantine body and the shield mastery, yes?
    Last edited by MaeveTuohy; 10-03-2015 at 10:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MaeveTuohy View Post
    Slarden,

I am considering the 17/3pally version on a bladeforged.

The bf healing is one advantage, but the reduced Cha a drawback.

Do you think BF would be viable and what changes would you consider to keep the build EE capable?

I suspect that I would need to drop the conjuration focus feats in favour of adamantine body and the shield mastery, yes?
    I wouldn't worry about the charisma. It's better than warforged which starts at -2. 2 Charisma won't be a big deal.

I haven't run a bladeforged yet, but if you are spending 4 AP for arcane spell failure reduction it's only another 7 for 3 ranks of communion of scribing so i am sure you can fit it in. The only negative is you lose benefit from positive healing (mass cure serious and divine wrath or renewal in unyielding sentinel).

I am not sure if I cleaned up all my old posts but at some point I mentioned you can use legendary shield mastery with an orb - that was the case at one point but no longer is the case. To get the benefits of legendary shield mastery you would need an actual shield rather than an orb. As a bladeforged you can take legendary shield mastery instead of cocoon as a twist.

Since I a not taking any twists related to conjuration focus the only drawback of giving up the conjuration feats is -3 conjuration focus - so yeah that makes the most sense. 15% isn't going to be a deal breaker with black tentacles unless you dump cha in favor of int - but I don't recommend that. Black tentacles is too good to completely dump charisma for a tiny amount of spellpower.

3 paladin gives you 20% hp and 25 PRR while legendary shield mastery gives 15 PRR. With legendary shield mastery plus the 5 from improved shield mastery (20 total - and you will want both shield mastery feats to get the top tier of legendary shield mastery) so you can consider going pure warlock which gives you the 20% hp from the ES capstone. If you find you need more survivability you always have the option of switching from exalted angel to unyielding sentinel for just quests where staying alive is difficult. That saves you 13 AP which makes it easier to fit in communion of scribing. You might be on to a really good build there.

The combination of 20 PRR + 30 DR from shadow guardian + communion of scribing is probably more beneficial in total than the 36 PRR you get just from divine/PDK past lifes so with that build I think you can handle all EE content in the game as a pure 20 warlock. I am running the 20 warlock version with several epic/divine past lifes ( but not getting 20 from legendary shield mastery + 2 feats) and it's enough for me. I doubt the extra 3 DC for tentacles will make a huge difference.

One other thing to note about Exalted Angel. I am currently out of town for an extended time using a laptop on wifi so I have PC lag from time to time unrelated to the occasional server lag. This results in some deaths, but the reborn in the light epic moment lets you raise yourself with 2 additional minutes of 100 light spellpower and other benefits. So even if you die some, you always have the reborn in the light "do over" once every 10 minutes. So if you die once in a while in EE in Exalted Angel, it's not a huge deal with reborn in the light at your disposal.

You've just made me want to make a bladeforged warlock with legendary shield mastery on one of my alts that is sitting around doing nothing since the level cap was 25. Thanks for the idea!
    Last edited by slarden; 10-03-2015 at 07:39 PM.

Page 6 of 29 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast