Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Community Member

Question Human Paladin Build

Hello All,

I need some help with my lvl 28 human pally build before i epic tr him.

This is what I have so far:-

Stats:-

str 23 base 40 total unbuffed
    dex 12 27
    con 14 32
    int 8 22
    wiz 14 30
    cha 14 32

epic feats are overwhelming critical and divine sphere guardian angel

Normal feats are

Khopesh I use tower shield with masters touch scroll to save on feat

toughness

empower healing
    extend
    shield mastery
    improved shield mastery
    power attack
    single and improved weapon fighting

current epic destiny tree is unyielding sentinel with 3 fate slots unlocked 1 tier 2 and 2 at tier 1

Please can you advise me what i can tweak as i feel i should be doing more?
    all advice would be very helpful thanks before i epic tr.

all the best and Happy New Year to you all:-)
    Prof Clepto Urban Badger collective guild on thelanis aka mooskey,drmerlin,drwildebeast

Hey there,

I have a few suggestions/questions for you:
    1) Drop your starting wisdom to 8. Your modified wisdom (i.e. with items) is what determines whether you can cast Paladin spells. Just slot a wisdom item somewhere, even on an augment, and you're good. With those extra build points you can bump up charisma, int (for skill points if you want them), or con.
    2) Drop toughness and extend. These aren't doing you that much good. As for replacement feats I would consider to pick up Precision (assuming you have at least a +1 dex tome), and if you're putting points into the Vanguard tree Improved Shield Bashing. Another feat to consider if you're willing to work at your DC is Stunning Blow.
    3) What are Single and Improved Weapon Fighting? What fighting style are you going for? If you're going S&B, then aside from the shield feats, only the Two-Handed Fighting Feats will help if you use a Bastard Sword or Dwarven Axe.
    The best part of the 10th Anniversary of DDO...the description on the Oatmeal Raisin Kookie,
    "From a distance you thought this was a chocolate chip kookie. Now you're sad."

Community Member

Thanks for your advice and help, the feats I mentioned you can take 3 of them is single weapon fighting, improved single weapon fighting and greater single weapon fighting.
    Is it worth taking these feats? and yes i am going for shield and blade with my khopesh or would a dwarven axe or bastard sword be better?

Thanks for your advice and any other advice people mat have.

Regards,

Prof Clepto:-)

The Single Weapon Fighting feats do not allow the use of a shield. Only characters with 3 levels of bard and the swashbuckler enhancements can benefit from using one weapon and a shield, and that shield must be a buckler. If you are going for a S&B paladin, you would be better off using a bastard sword or dwarven axe and taking the Two-Handed Fighting feats to benefit from glancing blows with either of those two weapons.

Community Member

Hello,

Thanks for your reply...

so let me get this straight if i want to use a tower shield and a weapon say bastard sword or dwarven axe then i need to take the two handed fighting feats yes?
    or what weapon feats do i need so i can use a tower shield with that weapon? currently i am using a khopesh with towershield .

Just to understand when you say going for S&B you do mean shield and blade yes? and for this you can take the two handed fighting feats?

Thanks,

Prof Clepto

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drmoose View Post
    Hello,

Thanks for your reply...

so let me get this straight if i want to use a tower shield and a weapon say bastard sword or dwarven axe then i need to take the two handed fighting feats yes?
    or what weapon feats do i need so i can use a tower shield with that weapon? currently i am using a khopesh with towershield .

Just to understand when you say going for S&B you do mean shield and blade yes? and for this you can take the two handed fighting feats?

Thanks,

Prof Clepto
    Nope, for that you need the Shield Mastery line (Shield Mastery, Improved Shield Mastery and optionally Improved Shield Bashing).

Basically there are 4 fighting styles in ddo:

* a two-handed weapon -> take the Two Handed Fighting feats (THF, iTHF, gTHF)
    * two swords -> take the Two Weapon Fighting feats (TWF, iTWF, gTWF)
    * single sword and nothing in your other hand -> take the Single Weapon Fighting feats (SWF, iSWF, gSWF)
    * sword and shield -> take the shield feats (SM, iSM. there is no greater shield master, but there is one more feat that benefits shields, improved shield bashing)

As for the semantics...
    Yes, using a two-handed weapon is using just a single weapon.
    Yes, when you are using a weapon and a shield you are technically using just one single weapon.
    but no, neither benefit from the single weapon fighting line

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drmoose View Post
    You do not need to take the THF feats to use a b.sword or d.axe on a S&B toon; however, if you do, you will boost your glancing blows dmg. Naturally the downside is they chew up feat slots on a feat-starved class...

See my Sacred Vanguard thread for a couple of S&B pally builds.
    Semi-retired Build Engineer. Everything was better back in our day. Get off my lawn.