Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default Flaming sphere scroll Fan Club thread

Updated 1/13/2020. The following thread is a work in progress. Please consider adding suggestions with screenshots.

Flaming Sphere
    • Where to buy: Marketplace (and PH) Morna Wyrmtouched <Arcane Scroll Vendor - Level 2> in The Marketplace Bazaar - 15pp. Cheap!!!! Or use the Long Broom of Mystery from Night Revels, 5 charges/day
    • Duration: 1 minute. Update: according to Luxgolg in post 30, Artificer's Knowledge does not extend this duration.
    • When cast: breaks stealth and invisibility. Update: from Qezuzu in post 24, Shadar-Kai can use shadow phase to cast it in plain sight! Also, one can use other techniques demonstrated in this thread.
    • Action: Follows you around like a slow-moving summon but does not count as a summon! (you can have another)
    • Damage: so lousy that it is negligible.
    • According to Lanhelin, they are typed as Ooze!!! See this post for more details if you wish to charm an 'enemy' sphere!
    • They are not pulling enemies from as far away since Update 37 Patch 4 (medium range).

This scrolled spell is very useful for tactics, both for general use (see below) and moving enemies in stealth operations. It cannot get blown away by wind elementals.

General Stuff
    Light a Grease spell!

Summon multiples if scrolled (rather useless but fun)! Easy to do if back and forth between the Long Broom and the Scrolls! Casting it creates a long cooldown of the spell, so one at a time for sp users!

Specific Quests/Uses:

Missing screenshots To be added later:
    - Distract wondering guards in Irestone Inlet (via cdbd3rd's post here)
    - Draw out invisible mobs preventing room completions in Prison of the Planes when they aggro onto someone outside

Finding Dorris: Activate and draw the Pit fight audience away! Visit here for more!

Blown to Bits: draw warforged from the other sides of crates before placing the demolitions!

Light the tents in Siegebreaker

Move that last obstinate guardian off its pressure plate in Claw of Vulkoor. This does not cause it to see you! See this post for the penultimate one as well! If you try a regular summon, like a dog, it will count as 'spotting you'! Noisemakers work better but not everyone has four levels of rogue!

Light the Torches in Inferno of the Damned!

Distract pursuant Drow in Offering of Blood! (See this post for details.)

Distract the Guardians of the Spear for the Giant Skellie optional in Haunted Halls! (See this post for the technique)

Distract the Kobold Ambush in Fear Factory!

Master of stealth Quezuzu demonstrates how one can use the flaming sphere to move mobs blocking the many corridors in To Curse the Sky. Please note that the devs cruelly nerfed this quest to make pure stealth runs impossible!
    His video is here; the forum thread is here. Below is a screenshot:

Distract scout minotaurs in Framework! (They will not sound alarm!) Also, use in final boss fight to pull the minotaur boss! See this video here by Spellburst!

Draw the Orthons and Barbed Devils in Sins of Attrition! (no Dungeon Alert risks here!)

Lure curious cultists to their doom in The Mask of Deception! This works in many quests with traps and 'mobs around the corner!'

Distract the mobs in the Drow Ritual of Servants of the Overlord! So much smoother to do this than to have them firing away at your friends! You might get hit!!!

Distract the Ambush in Litany of the Dead!
    Sort of...see this post how you can try it.

And more! Here, for The Snitch.
    Death House: Rob the old couple more easily!!!
    Pull hidden mephits in Fane of the Six!
    Kill less collared slaves, merciful one!
    Finish Siegebreaker less painfully! So inexpensive to do!

Stealth Tactics

Casting this breaks stealth and invisibility. Therefore, cast it while doing these tricks. Also, you can cast it out of sight and then stealth into a location. It groups enemies like a noisemaker, setting up avoidance or CC. Very useful for stealth builds that do not have noisemakers and trapmaking! Can be used in conjunction with them! Please note that U37Patch4 changes make the sphere pull mobs from a smaller radius ("medium range").

here, it blew out, but they still stand around like dummies!!!

Qezuzu demonstrates the use of Thunder-forged armor's shadow phase clickie to cast it in plain sight! See this thread for similar tricks!

Last edited by Saekee; 01-13-2020 at 11:45 AM. Reason: siegebreaker
    Wiki dashboard with some useful stealthplay links. LONG LIVE STEALTH!
    Proud Knight of the Silver Legion, Cannith: Saekee (main) and some others typically parked at some level to help guildies and other players

Community Manager

Pretty awesome, you've opened my eyes to a new spherical realm!
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter YouTube
    Join us on Twitch!
    Hello from Standing Stone Games! Facebook Twitter
    For Support: https://help.standingstonegames.com

IT HAS PURPOSE!

You're truly a hero to the little spells, Saekee.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeraphim View Post
    Fly? That would break every quest in the game. You would see folks falling from the sky in Korthos and dying. It would be a rain of newbs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dandonk View Post
    Yeah. It's not "we nuked the city from orbit", it's "the city experienced a brief population drop". Check.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagolar View Post
    IT HAS PURPOSE!

What Dagolar said. Well done!
    I can be found on Orien as Cilon
    HC7: Typhoon, Dreaded Knight, and Wish. HC6: Naivety. HC5: Who Is Here. HC4: Cylon Centurian. HC3: Soulstone in Your Pack. HC2: Carnage

Ultimate Completionist
    2014 DDO Players Council
    Open Guild for All Founder - Hardcore

Went to market and picked up a stack of 100.
    TY

Quote Originally Posted by Silverleafeon View Post
    Went to market and picked up a stack of 100.
    TY
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSpacePony View Post
    What Dagolar said. Well done!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagolar View Post
    IT HAS PURPOSE!

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    Thank you all! I will keep this updated as more uses come up.
    Proud Knight of the Silver Legion, Cannith: Saekee (main) and some others typically parked at some level to help guildies and other players

Thumbs up

Wow ... this post is full of win ... who knew that this spell actually had a use?^^

and: +1
    Argonessen (mains):
    Myriellah (Stargazer II), Xryn (Pale Master), Ryaleen (Air Savant), Mayeena (Assassin)
    Leader and founder of the ShadowThieves guild

+1, well done!
    Very useful info, thanks!
    Loot Design, S/S/S system, TR Cache Button, The exact trap DCs in EE HH, A guide for DDO-ML, Unknown Heroes: 3rd place, Welcome to Orien: /joinchannel Titan
    Quote Originally Posted by Certon View Post
    This is the most perfect suggestion in the history of suggestions, and it is full of upsides for both players and servers.

It's a use they never thought of- it will get nerfed
    (Combat): You are hit by your knockdown.

This is truly incredible! I had no idea this spell could have so many uses
    Keepers of Khyber - Proud Guild Leader

Quote Originally Posted by Flavilandile View Post
    This is how it should scale: Random loot < Named Loot < Raid Named Loot.
    The Trophy Room A great idea. Please do this devs!

Community Member Talon_Moonshadow's Avatar

I really hope that doesn't mean a nerf.

I knew some of this, but always considered them too slow to bother with.

Never knew they could catch so many things on fire though.

This makes me want to try this out sometimes. (although I still think they are too slow for me to use them often.)
    I gave up a life of farming to become an Adventurer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jandric View Post
    ..., but I honestly think the solution is to group with less whiny people.

Community Member

wiki updated!

Community Member

Nice! I'd try it right away if I hadn't just TR'd my main from rogue to fighter...

Learned this from Saekee, too. These make excellent aggro-magnets, even against red-names. I used one at the end-fight of an Elite run of "Diplomatic Impunity" to gather everything so I could later pull and kill the boss for a precise one-kill victory. Sage advice.
    Editor, The Book of Syncletica 2nd Edition: An unofficial DDO Monk Guide, and Stormreach Shadows: An unofficial DDO Stealth Guide
    (Stormreach Shadows updates are in indefinite hiatus.)
    The Order of Syncletica: A DDO-flavored blog on Monks and gameplay and more

thank you all for the responses. I wouldn't worry about a nerf--it is slow-moving and demands a very particular playstyle, one which does not need nerfing.

I wonder if the sphere can be cast in front of mobs in the midst of a shadow phase by Shadar Kai or the TF armor clickie.

If anyone else can find uses for this spell, please post!

I am currently reading "Critical Failures" series by Robert Bevan. It is full of very... creative... uses of low-level spells. Bevan's characters would be proud of you!
    "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

"Of course it is. Are YOU going to question beholder's artistic sense?"

Quote Originally Posted by brian14 View Post
    I am currently reading "Critical Failures" series by Robert Bevan. It is full of very... creative... uses of low-level spells. Bevan's characters would be proud of you!
    hi Brian, can you provide examples? I haven't read it.

Nice post Saekee. This just makes me wonder how did you come up with this? I mean not many of us ever bothered thinking of that spell if I can be honest.
    Holybird of House Perkele. Sisu is with us. But is sisu with you?

Quote Originally Posted by Saekee View Post
    (lots of good stuff i didn't know)
    thank you good sir, you just gave me a new way to play ddo, thanks to you the rest of my lives will have something different and new to offer, i mean, haven't played a nseaky life yet, seeing what you have shown me, the incentive is great, "just to try if i can do it too"

it's not like i'm always focused in speed running nor zerging, i never managed to distract last guardian (and rest can be done w/o much focus on sneaking XD)

tyvm for sharing your knowledge, add me as a rookie member of the flaming sphere scroll fan club, because haven't any more arcane lives left (and the 3 ranger lives will be shadar-kai too so... i'm enjoying just the thoughts of the possibilities you have opened with the scroll xD)

+1 to rep too
    psykopeta is finally baconpletionist because there isn't anything to delay it more - thelanis, where the gimps claim to be pros and noobs claim to be pros, no newbies allowed(unless they claim to be pros), we have enough drama w/o them. PS: I post only in the latest thread shown in main page, in the weird case u want something from me, feel free to send pm

Quote Originally Posted by Saekee View Post
    hi Brian, can you provide examples? I haven't read it.
    "Critical Failures" take place in D&D world -- third edition, to be exact. Wizard Julian's favorite spell in Mount: first level, summons a horse. Uses so far:

Cast during battle in a dungeon room -- instant meatshield
    Cast inside a room full of traps -- all traps set off, very dead horse
    Emergency food for a hungry, but somewhat friendly vampire -- ensures she stays friendly
    All-purpose distraction -- a horse popping out of nowhere is liable to cause confusion, at least briefly

No wonder one of Julian's friends asks him "What have you got against horses?" Answer: nothing. Sometimes he even rides them.

Unfortunately, most DDO traps are not one-shot -- they keep spinning or firing until disarmed. So you cannot just send in a sacrificial pet/hireling.
    Last edited by brian14; 12-16-2014 at 01:29 PM.
    "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

"Of course it is. Are YOU going to question beholder's artistic sense?"

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast