Thread: Pure or splash?

Community Member

Default Pure or splash?

Planning my next life, and i've decided that I want to use my +20 heart to fill in a past life and play my favorite class(druid). Biggest question is whether or not to go pure. I'm definitely planning to be a caster. However, with the defense changes of U23, I'm not sure pure is the best option any more. Current plan is this
    Dwarf 36pt
    +5 supreme tome
    15(makes 1-13 easier)
    18-> level ups here
    Stats really don't change between the pure or the splash

PLs
    FVS x1
    Druid x1
    Monk x1
    Bard x1
    Paladin x1
    IPL
    PDK x1
    EPL
    Colours of the queen x1
    Energy Criticals x1
    Power of Life/death x1
    doublestrike x1

Feats: 7 vs. 9
    Maximize
    Empower
    Quicken
    Heighten
    Spell Focus: Evo
    Greater Spell Focus: Evo
    toughness
    (fighter 1: toughness, old toughness becomes enlarge or Mental toughness)
    (fighter 2: shield mastery?)

The biggest difference seems to be the defenses and enhancements:
    3 fighter gives me:
    25PRR/MRR
    +3 saves
    +20% hit points(this alone seems worthwhile)
    The ability to wear heavy armor for an additional 45 PRR/MRR
    The ability to use one tower shield(non-raid stone wall) for an additional 15 PRR/MRR

Compared to the pure druid, I'd have 45 more PRR/MRR(25stance,15heavy armor, 5 shield), +3 saves, and 20% more hit points. To me, the 20% more hitpoints seems to be the most compelling reason to splash. however, I'd lose 2 wis from capstone, as well as the Storm of vengeance SLA.

I would like to avoid monk, as I'm currently planning to use my +20 heart to get the barbarian PL.
    Any thoughts?

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Is this just for an HTR, or are you looking at epics? For an HTR, I would say fast-tracking your spell progression is more important than the extra feats & PRR from ftr. [BTW, Toughness is not a ftr bonus feat.] Also, bear in mind the first druid-compatible (i.e., non-metal) heavy armor is dragonscale, so there's no point in having hvy armor prof before lvl 14. And if you really wanted to equip, say, blue dragonplate, you could take hvy armor prof at lvl 12 or 15 on a pure druid anyway. There are a few non-metal tower shields, but UMDing Master's Touch scrolls will grant you TS prof.

If you're looking for an epic build, have a look at Ginger's thread to see discussion of the pros & cons of pure druid casters.
    Semi-retired Build Engineer. Everything was better back in our day. Get off my lawn.