Community Member

Default Is the wiki correct about CDs?

Is the wiki correct in stating wisdom is our DC stat? I assumed it was right but looking through the caster builds on here no one has a high wisdom and dumps everything into charisma.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by chrissybunny View Post
    Is the wiki correct in stating wisdom is our DC stat? I assumed it was right but looking through the caster builds on here no one has a high wisdom and dumps everything into charisma.
    I am going to assume CD = caster druid? Anyway ....

fvs dc = wis
    cleric dc = wis
    druid dc = wis
    sorc dc = cha
    wiz dc = int
    bard dc = cha
    arty dc = int

As a caster there are multiple ways to be a caster - One way is to go the DC route with a higher wisdom another route is to not and then specialize in non-DC based Light Spells.

The FvS Trees really play towards light based spells for nuking so for these types of builds it is useful to put the points elsewhere.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by moo_cow View Post
    I am going to assume CD = caster druid? Anyway ....

fvs dc = wis
    cleric dc = wis
    druid dc = wis
    sorc dc = cha
    wiz dc = int
    bard dc = cha
    arty dc = int
    Sorry, it wont let me edit posts on these forums for some reason. If Wisdom controls FVS's DCs, why does no one seem to plus up and dump into wisdom? More SP is nice, but if everyone is saving against your casts why bother casting more? What am I missing? Thi9s is the only caster class where people don't seem to be trying to get the highest DC possible.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Enoach View Post
    As a caster there are multiple ways to be a caster - One way is to go the DC route with a higher wisdom another route is to not and then specialize in non-DC based Light Spells.

The FvS Trees really play towards light based spells for nuking so for these types of builds it is useful to put the points elsewhere.

Light spells don't have a DC? Sorry again, I was posting as you were replying so I missed your post

Community Member

If Wisdom controls FVS's DCs, why does no one seem to plus up and dump into wisdom? More SP is nice, but if everyone is saving against your casts why bother casting more? What am I missing?
    The devs made a mistake with the Divine Punishment spell, and didn't give it a saving throw. So for a lot of FVS damage-dealing tasks, a higher DC means nothing.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scrabbler View Post
    The devs made a mistake with the Divine Punishment spell, and didn't give it a saving throw. So for a lot of FVS damage-dealing tasks, a higher DC means nothing.
    That's a dot with a 10-second cd. What about AOE and nukes? And the SLAs?

Light spells don't have a DC? Sorry again, I was posting as you were replying so I missed your post
    No Saving throw/No Spell Resistance
    Nimbus of Light
    Searing Light
    Divine Punishment

Also even with sacrifice on DC the added spell damage for physical can also make a saved (except on evasion mobs) Bladebarrier still a good kite spell.

Again this is a good option for those that like to factor in melee or tanking into their builds as this allows more points into other stats.

Community Member

That's a dot with a 10-second cd. What about AOE and nukes? And the SLAs?
    Archon and Searing Light have no save, and neither does epic Avenging Light.

Of course being low-Wisdom means you can't do well with Blade Barrier or Implosion, but those are different categories.

Sorry, it wont let me edit posts on these forums for some reason. If Wisdom controls FVS's DCs, why does no one seem to plus up and dump into wisdom? More SP is nice, but if everyone is saving against your casts why bother casting more? What am I missing? Thi9s is the only caster class where people don't seem to be trying to get the highest DC possible.
    My caster FVS is max WIS.
    Its is very useful for Necro spells, Implosion, Greater Command and Blade Barrier.

My Hybrid FVS is WIS dump (started with a 6)
    I just ignore those type of spells and concentrate on light spells and melee.

FVS is a very flexible class and if you want to cast spells and melee it requires many stats and you can't max them all.

IMO if your level-ups will go into WIS then start at max.
    If your level-up will go into something else, like strength, then don't even bother with WIS.

DC casting, at least at higher difficulty levels, is not a game for half-measures. Either go for DCs fully or don't at all.

Also, FVS is a feat starved class and DC casting isn't just about DC but also about Spell Pen.
    A 1st life Wizard can just take Spell Pen feats.
    A 1st life FVS can too but that leaves far less feats for Metas etc.
    So FVS without Wiz and FVS PLs to grant Spell Pen can be an effective light slinger/shiraldi type with WIS dump or a not so effective DC caster with max WIS.

I figure that's why so many dump WIS.
    BONGO FURY - Ghallanda - Thingfish - Wizard, Diuni - Ninja, Gheale - Angel, Dullknife - Tank, Noodlefish - Gimp, Jaquaby - Treacherous and other gimps.

Hellball, energy burst, and divine wrath all have a charisma based saving throw.

Community Member

Thank you guys very much for the information

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnbeimnech View Post
    Hellball, energy burst, and divine wrath all have a charisma based saving throw.
    And do significantly more damage than spells from your class.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Inoukchuk View Post
    And do significantly more damage than spells from your class.
    Yeah, really poorly designed.

FvS are very under powered class by themselves. Without ruin, tsunami, energy burst and hellfire.. fvs are nothing. It's very ED/Feat depended class.

If you choose charisma, you are not only getting more SP, but higher DC on SLAs, such as from Exalted Angel and Draconic due to your aura of menace.

Now.. wisdom based FvS are indeed in a poor place, but don't forget: They have Holy Smite, Soundburst, Implosion and tsunami. Those are very powerful spells as well, and only full DC casters can maximize its effectiveness. Once you have the best possible gear and enough past lifes tho... with my current DC 74 on FvS, I can instantly kill 12k HP mobs with implosion. It's just cool and pretty much that's it.

Really.. I hope devs do something about DC casters in near feature. Maybe in the next upcoming 3rd tree.. because I use up almost all of my mana spamming heroic spells that's do very little damage.. while wiz/sorc dominates with heroic spells. Perharp add more Wis based SLAs into the 3rd tree.
    Last edited by Angelic-council; 12-21-2014 at 12:04 AM.