Default Shield charge: How do you use it? Worth having?

I'm up to level 11 so far on a pure vanguard style pali. I picked up shield charge, but it seems kinda wonky.

What I see when I try to use it is I get a light burst where I am and then I "teleport" to a mob with another light burst. I'm not even sure I'm hitting anything with it. So...

1. How do you use shield charge?

2. How do you use it? (i.e. all the time, save it for certain mobs, combine it with another attack?)

3. Tips on using it? For example, I think I've gotten myself stuck behind things and caused it to fail, but I'm not sure. Do I need to set up this attack a particular way for best results?

thanks.

I've found it works best...

1. To spring yourself at a group of incoming mobs.
    2. As an initial action in a cleave sequence since it requires a target unlike the cleaves

Things I found help maximize the success.

Avoid jagged ground, for some reason a little lip in the floor will stop you cold turkey. Target the front/center of the group you are targeting.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoach View Post

Avoid jagged ground, for some reason a little lip in the floor will stop you cold turkey. Target the front/center of the group you are targeting.
    That makes sense. I seems like a fair bit of the time, I don't make it all the way to the mob I'm rushing. This could be why.

I'll use it in the middle of a large mob since it hits everything around me. Just kind of add it into my cleave routine at times.
    Nightmanis De'Corenai 20 Rogue Mechanic or Assassin. Depending on how I feel during the etr.
    Sereine De'Corenai Paladin. Because ETR.

Guild of Won, Officer
    Fors Fortis, Officer

Hate to twist your mind, but God ain't on your side