Default what is good in tier 1 vanguard?

I took shield training, but not sure which is the best choice after that.

Does unbalancing shove stack or is it only -1 to saves ever? I.e. will multiple procs increase the debuff?

Is shield smash good?

I'm working my way up to get stunning shield and need to spend a couple more points at least to access T2.

Thanks.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

I would take Shield Smash: +6 PRR/MRR beats nothing and I believe it's another chance for Shield Champion & Disorienting Smash to proc, although I've not yet tested it myself.
    Semi-retired Build Engineer. Everything was better back in our day. Get off my lawn.

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    I would take Shield Smash: +6 PRR/MRR beats nothing and I believe it's another chance for Shield Champion & Disorienting Smash to proc, although I've not yet tested it myself.
    Unbalanced Shove isn't bad either as it can be a +1 to the DC of your stunning attacks (if you make a shield bash). If you're just taking stunning shield, I would probably go with shield smash, but if you are taking stunning blow then this enhancement becomes a bit more interesting.

Edit: I also like armor training, especially at lower levels, specifically for the bonus to balance to help against all of the low level mobs that like to trip you, and the extra jump never hurts.
    Last edited by Ralmeth; 10-31-2014 at 10:46 AM.
    The best part of the 10th Anniversary of DDO...the description on the Oatmeal Raisin Kookie,
    "From a distance you thought this was a chocolate chip kookie. Now you're sad."

I'm inferring this is a pure(?) S&B pally, in which case OP will have plenty of APs to spend to get to capstone.
    Semi-retired Build Engineer. Everything was better back in our day. Get off my lawn.

Once you start combat, does this stay up all the time due to continued procs?

Quote Originally Posted by Ralmeth View Post
    Unbalanced Shove isn't bad either as it can be a +1 to the DC of your stunning attacks (if you make a shield bash). If you're just taking stunning shield, I would probably go with shield smash, but if you are taking stunning blow then this enhancement becomes a bit more interesting.

Edit: I also like armor training, especially at lower levels, specifically for the bonus to balance to help against all of the low level mobs that like to trip you, and the extra jump never hurts.
    Are you saying that the max debuff is -1? (I too, was eyeing the balance, intim and jump buffs)

I'm inferring this is a pure(?) S&B pally, in which case OP will have plenty of APs to spend to get to capstone.
    Yes to pure s&B and yes to vanguard capstone. This has been a hard build for me to try to plan. There is so much good stuff I could take, it is difficult to weed stuff out and decide. (I think that is good for the game, just hard to choose.)

Quote Originally Posted by redoubt View Post
    Once you start combat, does this stay up all the time due to continued procs?
    According to the release notes, the duration is 12 secs. and the CD is 8 secs when maxed out. [Not at home so I can't check in-game to verify.] So yes, you should be able to keep it going pretty much constantly, presuming you don't miss.
    Are you saying that the max debuff is -1? (I too, was eyeing the balance, intim and jump buffs)
    Correct: Unbalancing Shove is -1 to saves on shield bash; extra APs increases duration of the debuff (2/4/6 secs).

After thinking about it, I would recommend going with Armor Mastery if you're looking to spend extra APs to level up in Vanguard, especially at low levels. 1 AP nets you essentially +2 to balance & jump due to the reduction in your armor check penalty. While leveling up there are going to be a lot of mobs that make trip attacks on you, so this should help.
    The best part of the 10th Anniversary of DDO...the description on the Oatmeal Raisin Kookie,
    "From a distance you thought this was a chocolate chip kookie. Now you're sad."